Same rate to walk or ride??

> @tatertot said:

> > @TheSouthernGentleman said:

> > > @PopeofTexas said:

> > > I've started walking golf courses with my push cart the past couple of years as opposed to my previous 25 years of golf spent riding 99% of the time. Love the exercise and I also love to save the money on the cart. Called up one of the public courses in town and asked what their twilight walking rate was and they said "Same price as riding." Huh. Am I crazy or is that unusual? Please let me know if I'm being a baby for letting that get under my skin.

> >

> > Well you asked.....

> >

> > yea, you are a baby for letting this get under your skin. With all the problems in the world, people homeless, people without health care, opiate crisis, mass shootings, etc etc and you take the time to whine about something so minuscule. Wonder how you react to something really serious.

> >

> > Golf courses will charge as they like period. Dont like it, don't play. Take up knitting, then you would probably find something to complain about with that also.

> >

>

> Maybe a golf forum isn't the place for you. We talk about, you know, golf stuff, here. If you think it's below you, go somewhere else.

>

> The reason some places charge like this, is many "pros" or management companies make a substantial amount of their income from cart rentals. Depending on how management is arranged, cart and green fees may not be separated for some purpose.

A substantial amount of income is made from cart rentals. NO KIDDING? Such insight, very impressive. Thank you, I did not know this!

> @tatertot said:

> > > @PopeofTexas said:

> > > LOL. You kicked it up a notch there buddy. The irony of your screen name is lost to no one.

> >

> > Dude, you asked. you received. BOO HOO HOO, where can we send the hanky to wipe the tears rolling down your cute rosy cheeks?

>

> 20 posts in? Yeah, you're a valuable addition to the GolfWRX universe.

Well thanks man, you are pretty valuable yourself. Very impressed so far with what you have to say. I could probably learn a lot from you.

> @TheSouthernGentleman said:

> > @tatertot said:

> > > @TheSouthernGentleman said:

> > > > @PopeofTexas said:

> > > > I've started walking golf courses with my push cart the past couple of years as opposed to my previous 25 years of golf spent riding 99% of the time. Love the exercise and I also love to save the money on the cart. Called up one of the public courses in town and asked what their twilight walking rate was and they said "Same price as riding." Huh. Am I crazy or is that unusual? Please let me know if I'm being a baby for letting that get under my skin.

> > >

> > > Well you asked.....

> > >

> > > yea, you are a baby for letting this get under your skin. With all the problems in the world, people homeless, people without health care, opiate crisis, mass shootings, etc etc and you take the time to whine about something so minuscule. Wonder how you react to something really serious.

> > >

> > > Golf courses will charge as they like period. Dont like it, don't play. Take up knitting, then you would probably find something to complain about with that also.

> > >

> >

> > Maybe a golf forum isn't the place for you. We talk about, you know, golf stuff, here. If you think it's below you, go somewhere else.

> >

> > The reason some places charge like this, is many "pros" or management companies make a substantial amount of their income from cart rentals. Depending on how management is arranged, cart and green fees may not be separated for some purpose.

>

> A substantial amount of income is made from cart rentals. NO KIDDING? Such insight, very impressive. Thank you, I did not know this!

Can you read?

The COURSE itself makes money off green fees.

The PRO makes money off cart rentals.

Two separate entities, two separate sources of income. Depending on business model, those two sources may be combined ... Therefore there may not be separate charges.

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

> @tatertot said:

> > > @tatertot said:

> > > > @TheSouthernGentleman said:

> > > > > @PopeofTexas said:

> > > > > I've started walking golf courses with my push cart the past couple of years as opposed to my previous 25 years of golf spent riding 99% of the time. Love the exercise and I also love to save the money on the cart. Called up one of the public courses in town and asked what their twilight walking rate was and they said "Same price as riding." Huh. Am I crazy or is that unusual? Please let me know if I'm being a baby for letting that get under my skin.

> > > >

> > > > Well you asked.....

> > > >

> > > > yea, you are a baby for letting this get under your skin. With all the problems in the world, people homeless, people without health care, opiate crisis, mass shootings, etc etc and you take the time to whine about something so minuscule. Wonder how you react to something really serious.

> > > >

> > > > Golf courses will charge as they like period. Dont like it, don't play. Take up knitting, then you would probably find something to complain about with that also.

> > > >

> > >

> > > Maybe a golf forum isn't the place for you. We talk about, you know, golf stuff, here. If you think it's below you, go somewhere else.

> > >

> > > The reason some places charge like this, is many "pros" or management companies make a substantial amount of their income from cart rentals. Depending on how management is arranged, cart and green fees may not be separated for some purpose.

> >

> > A substantial amount of income is made from cart rentals. NO KIDDING? Such insight, very impressive. Thank you, I did not know this!

>

> Can you read?

>

> The COURSE itself makes money off green fees.

>

> The PRO makes money off cart rentals.

>

> Two separate entities, two separate sources of income. Depending on business model, those two sources may be combined ... Therefore there may not be separate charges.

The PRO makes money off of cart rentals? LOL!!!!!!! Happen to be aware of many business models in this industry, that is a new one for me. Maybe isolated cases, anything is possible, the Pro often gets incentives based on pro shop sales, not on cart rentals. LOL! Dude, are you some kind of comedian, that was worthy of a laugh....a very good laugh. For thank, I thank you~

> @tatertot said:

> > > @PopeofTexas said:

> > > I've started walking golf courses with my push cart the past couple of years as opposed to my previous 25 years of golf spent riding 99% of the time. Love the exercise and I also love to save the money on the cart. Called up one of the public courses in town and asked what their twilight walking rate was and they said "Same price as riding." Huh. Am I crazy or is that unusual? Please let me know if I'm being a baby for letting that get under my skin.

> >

> > Well you asked.....

> >

> > yea, you are a baby for letting this get under your skin. With all the problems in the world, people homeless, people without health care, opiate crisis, mass shootings, etc etc and you take the time to whine about something so minuscule. Wonder how you react to something really serious.

> >

> > Golf courses will charge as they like period. Dont like it, don't play. Take up knitting, then you would probably find something to complain about with that also.

> >

>

> Maybe a golf forum isn't the place for you. We talk about, you know, golf stuff, here. If you think it's below you, go somewhere else.

>

> The reason some places charge like this, is many "pros" or management companies make a substantial amount of their income from cart rentals. Depending on how management is arranged, cart and green fees may not be separated for some purpose.

Pace of play maybe one of the reason why the use of golf cart is encouraged.

So many of the golf courses are built meandering through a housing development with either hilly topography or distance far between the green and the next tee box. When they built the golf course, the first consideration was in the housing development to maximize the units and profits. These golf courses are not really meant to be walked.

Golf cart rental fees has become one of the income source for golf course often times charge 20%-30% of the green fee. One of the new practice was to rent out the cart PER SEAT, so one seat is 20% of the green fee and both seats add equivelent of 40% of the green fee for profit.

Golf courses really does not turn in huge profit so they'll need to figure each and every angle to generate income.

Like what's facing the restaurant business these days, everything went up except for the customer base. Lots of them are either shut down or near the edge of doing so,

> @tatertot said:>

> The COURSE itself makes money off green fees.

>

> The PRO makes money off cart rentals.

>

> Two separate entities, two separate sources of income. Depending on business model, those two sources may be combined ... Therefore there may not be separate charges.

No private or public course that I'm aware of has such an arrangement. It may exist among some private clubs in some parts of the country but not anywhere I've encountered. Perhaps that was a typical arrangement half a century ago when golf carts were a new thing.

At every private club that I've belonged to or that my friends are member of, the professional is an employee of the club and not some sort of independent contractor.

So perhaps you might want to dial back the Can You Read stuff unless you are certain the course being discussed here has such an arrangement.

> @"North Butte" said:

> > @tatertot said:>

> > The COURSE itself makes money off green fees.

> >

> > The PRO makes money off cart rentals.

> >

> > Two separate entities, two separate sources of income. Depending on business model, those two sources may be combined ... Therefore there may not be separate charges.

>

> No private or public course that I'm aware of has such an arrangement. It may exist among some private clubs in some parts of the country but not anywhere I've encountered. Perhaps that was a typical arrangement half a century ago when golf carts were a new thing.

>

> At every private club that I've belonged to or that my friends are member of, the professional is an employee of the club and not some sort of independent contractor.

>

> So perhaps you might want to dial back the Can You Read stuff unless you are certain the course being discussed here has such an arrangement.

That used to be a common arrangement 20-30 years ago. I don't know of a case where it is true today. Maybe in some small town situations.

This whole thing is weird to me. I've never once considered whether I was saving money as part of my decision to walk. If I want to walk (and I do >99% of the time), I do. Actually, it often costs me more to walk because I have to get a caddie to drive a cart at one of the places I belong if I want to walk. It is worth it, golf is meant to be walked. Riding in a cart removes the soul of the game and if I couldn't walk every non-client round I likely wouldn't play a tenth of the rounds that I do.

> @"North Butte" said:

> > @tatertot said:>

> > The COURSE itself makes money off green fees.

> >

> > The PRO makes money off cart rentals.

> >

> > Two separate entities, two separate sources of income. Depending on business model, those two sources may be combined ... Therefore there may not be separate charges.

>

> No private or public course that I'm aware of has such an arrangement. It may exist among some private clubs in some parts of the country but not anywhere I've encountered. Perhaps that was a typical arrangement half a century ago when golf carts were a new thing.

>

> At every private club that I've belonged to or that my friends are member of, the professional is an employee of the club and not some sort of independent contractor.

>

> So perhaps you might want to dial back the Can You Read stuff unless you are certain the course being discussed here has such an arrangement.

Yes, it's very rare that the Pro owns any of the concessions anymore. An old friend of mine was once Head Pro at a big private club with 36 holes and a ton of members, he owned the golf carts, range, and pro shop. When he retired and his apprentice took over, the apprentice got none of the concessions. Off hand, I can only think of one public course where the pro shop is still owned by the Pro and he's been there for about 40 years; I suspect the arrangement will change when he retires. I've found the older model of the golf professional owning the shop is confined to the top level courses and/or the Northeast US; I can't speak for UK, etc.

> @"Johnny Biarritz" said:

> Yes, it's very rare that the Pro owns any of the concessions anymore. An old friend of mine was once Head Pro at a big private club with 36 holes and a ton of members, he owned the golf carts, range, and pro shop. When he retired and his apprentice took over, the apprentice got none of the concessions. Off hand, I can only think of one public course where the pro shop is still owned by the Pro and he's been there for about 40 years; I suspect the arrangement will change when he retires. I've found the older model of the golf professional owning the shop is confined to the top level courses and/or the Northeast US; I can't speak for UK, etc.

It's my impression, just from the couple dozen clubs I'm familiar with in UK, that it is similar to here. A few clubs still have it as a holdover from long-standing arrangements but not very common any longer.

I know of one club not far from me where (as of 5 years ago at least) the pro still owns the soft goods concession but no longer the carts or anything else. But that's a club so old-school they still pay dues once a year and members pay cash for all spending outside of dues, rather than being billed.

> @"North Butte" said:

> > @"Johnny Biarritz" said:

> > Yes, it's very rare that the Pro owns any of the concessions anymore. An old friend of mine was once Head Pro at a big private club with 36 holes and a ton of members, he owned the golf carts, range, and pro shop. When he retired and his apprentice took over, the apprentice got none of the concessions. Off hand, I can only think of one public course where the pro shop is still owned by the Pro and he's been there for about 40 years; I suspect the arrangement will change when he retires. I've found the older model of the golf professional owning the shop is confined to the top level courses and/or the Northeast US; I can't speak for UK, etc.

>

> It's my impression, just from the couple dozen clubs I'm familiar with in UK, that it is similar to here. A few clubs still have it as a holdover from long-standing arrangements but not very common any longer.

>

> I know of one club not far from me where (as of 5 years ago at least) the pro still owns the soft goods concession but no longer the carts or anything else. But that's a club so old-school they still pay dues once a year and members pay cash for all spending outside of dues, rather than being billed.

Our Munis are still ran that way, but the "pro" is also related to the owner of the company contracted to run the business side of the courses.

I'm still used to the old school model.

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

I almost always walk, but some of the nicer public courses around here in NJ include the cart with the cost, I even know a couple that force you to ride before a certain time on the weekends. If a course is going to include a cart in the price, I'll ride. If a cart is extra, I am walking 95% of the time (the other times I am too hungover and booked a super early tee time).