39 through eight holes in my league ... ends in disaster

MooJersey

I know this is not a great round of golf by WRX standards, but for me this was smoking hot. I started Bogey, Par, Birdie and I was heading for a great round (for me). Not sure what happened, maybe I shouldn't of looked at my score. On the ninth hole I pull it left into some trees. I'm playing a fade this year, starting the ball left and letting it come back right. A left pull is terrible, I don't mind over fades to the right, but the left miss is a no no. So I proceed to make a bad decision. Instead of just punching out and playing for a bogey at worst, I feel my inner Tiger. I know I can full swing this bad boy. Play a swooping hook back to the green, well no. I'll keep it short, I ultimately make a 9 on the hole shooting 48. Just wanted to vent. sigh....

Callaway (OG) Rogue SZ

TS2 Fairways

JPX 919 Tour (4-PW)

RTX4's 50, 56

BETTI QB6

If it makes you feel any better 2 rounds ago I was +1 through 6 holes on a fairly challenging track. I was just hitting good approaches and not making mistakes. On the 7th hole I hit another solid tee shot and proceeded to put a routine PW from 120 out in the water guarding the green. Finished the last three holes double, double, bogey and went from +1 to +6....golf is hard.

Golf man. Gotta love it. I was playing day before yesterday (just 9 holes--started on 10). Birdied 10. On 11 I hit my tee ball in the right fairway bunker. Hit out and into the greenside bunker. Fried egg lie. Ended up making double after hitting my bunker shot over the green and down a big hill. Birdied 12. Hole 13... SMASHED a drive. Left me 110 yards into the flag. Bladed a gap wedge which carried the green and landed in the rough over the green, bounced 3 times on the cart path and went out of bounds. The shot had travelled over 170 yards. I made 7. Played the rest of the way in one under. Stupid golf.

> @MooJersey said:

> I know this is not a great round of golf by WRX standards, but for me this was smoking hot. I started Bogey, Par, Birdie and I was heading for a great round (for me). Not sure what happened, maybe I shouldn't of looked at my score. On the ninth hole I pull it left into some trees. I'm playing a fade this year, starting the ball left and letting it come back right. A left pull is terrible, I don't mind over fades to the right, but the left miss is a no no. So I proceed to make a bad decision. Instead of just punching out and playing for a bogey at worst, I feel my inner Tiger. I know I can full swing this bad boy. Play a swooping hook back to the green, well no. I'll keep it short, I ultimately make a 9 on the hole shooting 48. Just wanted to vent. sigh....

So here's a question for you. In a future league round if you're playing really well and hit your tee shot on 9 into the trees, what will you do?

> @DavePelz4 said:

> > @MooJersey said:

> > I know this is not a great round of golf by WRX standards, but for me this was smoking hot. I started Bogey, Par, Birdie and I was heading for a great round (for me). Not sure what happened, maybe I shouldn't of looked at my score. On the ninth hole I pull it left into some trees. I'm playing a fade this year, starting the ball left and letting it come back right. A left pull is terrible, I don't mind over fades to the right, but the left miss is a no no. So I proceed to make a bad decision. Instead of just punching out and playing for a bogey at worst, I feel my inner Tiger. I know I can full swing this bad boy. Play a swooping hook back to the green, well no. I'll keep it short, I ultimately make a 9 on the hole shooting 48. Just wanted to vent. sigh....

>

> So here's a question for you. In a future league round if you're playing really well and hit your tee shot on 9 into the trees, what will you do?

Good point, this was a learning lesson. I will play a low punch out of course lol. Get as much distance I can while being sure I can control where I land. :)

• Like 1

Callaway (OG) Rogue SZ

TS2 Fairways

JPX 919 Tour (4-PW)

RTX4's 50, 56

BETTI QB6

It's all good MJ

We've all trashed potentially amazing rounds with one or two bad holes.

A couple years ago we're coming off #8 and my bud says 'damn you're only one over' and I then proceed to lay a 9 on the card next hole. I won't mention how bad it got on the back nine.

Keep swinging and enjoy every minute on the course!

Just 3 weeks ago I butchered #18. Par 5. If I par it, Im in at 77. Decent drive, just off fairway on right side. No chance to get there in 2 due to trees on the corner. 175 out is a creek. So Im gonna lay up short of the creek and have 80ish to the green. Just punch a 7 iron is all that was needed. The ball rockets off my 7i, it goes down about as far as I want it, but rolls through the fairway sort of like Francisco did on 15 on Sunday, and my ball stops under a tree. No prob. I can punch it from under the tree, over the creek and maybe even roll up on the green if I hit it straight. I duffed it right into the creek 10 yards in front of me. Drop 4. Hit the next shot into the trap. Gotta get up and down for bogie. I can still break 80. Hit it fat and left it in the sand. next shot was fat too but ball got out of trap and barely on green. Lying 6 and i have a 50 footer which I proceeded to luckily 3 putt for a damn 9. grrrr And the last time I broke 80 I was in my early 50s, almost 10 years ago. double grrrr !

• 3 months later...

> @BloctonGolf11 said:

> If it makes you feel any better 2 rounds ago I was +1 through 6 holes on a fairly challenging track. I was just hitting good approaches and not making mistakes. On the 7th hole I hit another solid tee shot and proceeded to put a routine PW from 120 out in the water guarding the green. Finished the last three holes double, double, bogey and went from +1 to +6....golf is hard.

Lol same thing for me a week back. Was one under thru 6, thought about it, finished quad, par, triple to post 42 lol.

> @MooJersey said:

> I know this is not a great round of golf by WRX standards, but for me this was smoking hot. I started Bogey, Par, Birdie and I was heading for a great round (for me). Not sure what happened, maybe I shouldn't of looked at my score. On the ninth hole I pull it left into some trees. I'm playing a fade this year, starting the ball left and letting it come back right. A left pull is terrible, I don't mind over fades to the right, but the left miss is a no no. So I proceed to make a bad decision. Instead of just punching out and playing for a bogey at worst, I feel my inner Tiger. I know I can full swing this bad boy. Play a swooping hook back to the green, well no. I'll keep it short, I ultimately make a 9 on the hole shooting 48. Just wanted to vent. sigh....

felt your inner Tiger and ended up an outer Phil .

go get it next time

Titleist TSR4 /Ozik F6M2/Ozik TP6HD/EVO III FUJI/fuji pro 2.0
Cobra Ltd 3 Kaili 80

Cobra Ltd 5 Kaili 80 (sub :Cobra F6 Baffler 18.5 Kaili 80)
Adams XTD TI  22 Hybrid
Honma 757B Blades 4-pw . s300 xp 
Nike Vapor Pro combo AW 50*,Ping 3.0 EYE 54, 58 

Bettinardi SS 2 silver

Nike B1-05 Origin (Rare)
Slazenger 508/Kirk Currie KC02B

> @MooJersey said:

ouch.

How about the one hole that haunts you?

17 at Navy Destroyer. It's my round killer. It's a long par 3; tends to play between 200-230 yards depending on the cut and where they put the tees but otherwise, nothing special about it. I dunno how many solid rounds have died on that damn hole. Most recently; +3 for the round (-1 on the back) and find the right bunker. Tried to get cute and stop it close by the pin that's cut just over the lip. Failed to clear said lip then, annoyed, I smashed it out, up and over the green. Chip to 15 feet. Two putt.

Rage face.

I hate that hole.

Titleist TSR3 10° Ventus Black

Titleist TS2 18° Diamana D+

Titleist TSR2 21° Diamana D+ 

Titleist TSi2 24° Diamana D+

Titleist T100 5-7, 620MB 8-PW Axiom 105S

Vokey 50.8°F, 56.14°F, 60.12°D Axiom 125X

Scotty Cameron Newport MMT Putter Concept

...could be worse:

i was -1 in leagues last night, hit every green in reg, 1 birdie and 8 pars. i lost.

PING G430 LST / 9* (dialed to 10.5*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Dark Speed LS / 3w (dialed to 15.5*) / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

> @Windlaker_1 said:

> 4th of July this year. Sitting at 81 on the 18th tee box. My career best is 86.

> I start thinking (my 1st mistake) "All I need is a bogey to beat my career best".

> Ended up shooting a 90. 9 friggin' strokes on the last hole.

I was in a situation like that during one of my many attempts to shoot 79. I was talking to a guy on the 17th green and said, "I need bogey on the next hole to break 80". He corrected me and said, "No, what you need is to just hit a good drive on the next hole".

I think that was a valuable suggestion. You can't "make a bogey" standing on the tee box. You can only put your best swing on the driver. Take the rest when it comes.

• Like 1

I think we've all been there, done that. I've had great rounds going, and then make the mistake of looking at my score and saying to myself "I just need X to do X", and I tense up on every shot thereafter. I've also had great rounds going, and had my buddy tell me on hole 17 "wow Roody, you've got a really great round going!". Thanks jacka$$, I had managed to keep my brain under control until you said that.

I can sit here and say "don't look at your score, and don't think about it too much", but I can't follow my own advice sometimes myself.

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2

Callaway Maverik 3W
TaylorMade RocketBallz Stage 2 3H

Callaway Apex '14 3-iron
Callaway Apex Black '22 irons 5-AW
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Callaway Jaws (60, 54)

Similar thing happened to me and buddy Sunday. Playing a long uphill par 5, over a lake, we both end up in basically the same area after our tee shots, though he is a little further right. There's a line of trees that divide our fairway and the next hole, I punch an 8 iron back into the fairway by the 150 marker, hit a nice wedge shot in to the green and two putted for par. I tell my buddy he should do the same thing, he says no I can hit my 3w through these 2 trees and be on the fringe. Needless to say, he did not get through ended up losing his ball, and made a 9. Then he complained to me all day Monday about how he hates golf and he is quitting. lol.

• Like 1

A lot of us need to learn to just take your medicine! I did basically the same thing two weeks ago in league. I was even going into #16 and go 3 putt (actually 4 putt from fringe) bogey, triple bogey, quad bogey to finish!

TE C722 9* House of Forged custom shaft XX
TE C722 15* Tensei AV-RAW White 7x

TE C722 18* Tensei AV-RAW White 8x

Ping I525 4-GW Project X IO stiff
Vokey SM8 54*
Vokey SM8 58*
Putter = flavor of the day. (EvnRoll ER11vx, 3 different Seemores,  TM TM2 Truss CS, Machine CS M2A Converter, 2 different Yes putters)
Maxfli Tour X or Vice Pro

I finally learned how to stop thinking in terms of "need to do XXX to shoot ZZZ" back during my quest, which seemed eternal, to break 80. Finally posted a handful of rounds in the 70's and since I'm never going to break 70 that problem won't be bothering me again.

So now instead of choking on the final 2-3 holes I choke at any random time during the round. Guess that's progress but a choke is still a choke and a four-hole string of doubles and triples still sucks.

I have set 3 personal bests this year (75, 76, 78) but also have shot in the 90s more than I have in probably 5-6 years. Even my front/back nine splits are bizarre.. just last week started -1 (35) front and +9 (45) back.. Flip flop them and I would have been happy. The worst I've ever felt shooting an 80. This game is cruel, but also amazing.. keep at it!

• Like 1