2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Does any fan really care who wins the Fedex Cup?

manku

Geez...I didn't even realize that the FedEx cup gave starting strokes...guess that tells you how engaged I am in the whole thing. I will agree...starting strokes is a gutsy call and it avoids the awkward two trophy ceremony but giving starting strokes kind'a feels slimy to me....I know it's an incentive, but just rubs me the wrong way.

The problem with golf as it winds down toward fall is that after the last major...it feels like all the "important" events are done and most of the country is getting focused on NFL and CFB. FedEx Cup was invented to help try to generate interest during this time, but I always felt that year-long points accumulation was hard to follow and runs into the potential issue of the winner being decided before the final round/event (anti-climatic). I do think year round performance should be rewarded, but in mind, the year long performance (FedEx Cup Pts) should be used to qualify your into the final events (which it did do) and then use each of the last events to further whittle the field for the final event (again which it did)...then let the final event be a go for broke tournament (stroke play, match play, whatever) with the largest payout vs. the whole accumulated points. In my mind...it would make the Tour Championship the hardest event to qualify for with the highest payout. It rewards year round performance because it's required to qualify, but makes the final event a spectacle to watch (much like the majors and to a lesser degree the WGC events).

I know this would never fly, because... ratings, money, more weeks = more money, etc.

However, as a fan of golf and watching all tours on TV, I think the season long points could get you to the top 150/125, whatever (no cut, play all 4 rounds). Play 1 tournament to get down to the Top 64 (tie breakers/playoffs to get into the Top 64 could be good TV). Top 64 match play (seeding based on season long performance, maybe add a points bonus kicker for the 1st tournament of Fed Ex Cup too). Play it out for the eventual winner (just like March Madness). Might make Dell mad though. :wink:

I am aware that match play is not big for ratings, just speaking as a fan of the game and what would be meaningful to me. The champ would really be the champ, and only one champ (not a Tour Champ winner and Fed Ex Cup Champ). No gimmicks. Rotate the courses to great venues each year too. 2 weeks only.

Titleist TSR3 10* Ventus Blue 6X

Titleist TSR3 14.5* GD AD IZ 7X

Titleist T200 3 iron GD AD DI HY

Titleist T150 4-PW DG Tour White

Titleist Vokey 48*, 54*, 60* DG Tour Issue

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

> @chigolfer1 said:

> > @bladehunter said:

> > > @chigolfer1 said:

> > > > @bladehunter said:

> > > > > @chigolfer1 said:

> > > > > > @bladehunter said:

> > > > > > > @chigolfer1 said:

> > > > > > > > @bladehunter said:

> > > > > > > > > @cdnglf said:

> > > > > > > > > > @MountainGoat said:

> > > > > > > > > > > @cdnglf said:

> > > > > > > > > > > I don’t get all the FedEx Cup hate either.

> > > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > > “It is a cash grab”.

> > > > > > > > > > > Well, duh. It is professional sports.

> > > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > > “It is a handicapped event”

> > > > > > > > > > > No, it is a cumulative total and the Tour Championship is no longer a stand-alone tournament. This is good, because 30 man fields are stupid.

> > > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > The final is a limited field, handicapped event. The FedExCup leader heading to the TOUR Championship will start at 10-under, second place at 8-under, third 7-under, fourth 6-under and fifth at 5-under. Players ranked 6-10 will start at 4-under, 11-15 at 3-under, 16-20 at 2-under, 21-25 at 1-under and 26-30 at even par.

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > The term "handicapped" is being misused. The purpose of a golf handicap is to allow players of different ability levels to compete on more-or-less equal terms.

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > Fedex Starting Strokes are a way to combine regular season, playoff, and Tour Championship performance into a single number that can be easily tracked by fans.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > Call it what you will. But you’re still giving strokes for a head start. Same same.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > Flip of to the football analogy. Let’s say you’re at the super bowl. One team wins by 14. But the other team is crowned the super bowl champion because of season long points total . How happy are fans ?

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > It should be a qualifier for season long to get into playoffs. Then 4 week cumulative tournament. Winner take all.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > We'll see how this goes. I appreciate the creativity and the fact that the winner is the winner of the whole thing. If you didn't give strokes like this, it would be a lot less fair to the players that kicked butt in the first two playoffs.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Eh. Fair is winning. You can possibly have a winner who plays well first Two then leaks oil to win by holding on for a shot. That’s not really a deserving winner in my book if he pencil whips his way to victory against a guy who shoots low numbers at the end when it should matter most.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > This is why I hate change. We always have to suffer through 10 years of testing before they land in the sweet spot.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > You’re leaving room for the asterisk to be added to someone’s win in most people’s minds.

> > > > >

> > > > > The leader only has a 2 shot lead. Over 72 holes that's practically nothing. It would be hard to leak any sort of serious oil and still hang on as the winner. I'm sure it's been posted somewhere in this thread but for easy reference:

> > > > >

> > > > > FedExCup rank

> > > > > entering East Lake Starting

> > > > > Strokes

> > > > > No. 1 10 under

> > > > > No. 2 8 under

> > > > > No. 3 7 under

> > > > > No. 4 6 under

> > > > > No. 5 5 under

> > > > > Nos. 6-10 4 under

> > > > > Nos. 11-15 3 under

> > > > > Nos. 16-20 2 under

> > > > > Nos. 21-25 1 under

> > > > > Nos. 26-30 Even par

> > > >

> > > > That’s assuming that the only true challenger can be the #2 or 3 guy. Sure. 2 shots. But even 2 is huge. Huge. Huge. Anybody here who plays competitive... think of the group you play against regularly. How many will you spot 2 shots to ? I’d guess everybody’s going to say none. It will take a guy shooting 62 or 63 to have any chance at winning . ( unless you’re Brooks). Mark it down.

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > > Over 72 holes, two strokes is "huge?" And, if there are no serious challengers in, say, the top 5, then even with leaking a bit of oil I'd argue he deserves to be the winner. I'll just agree to disagree but, yeah, honestly, I've never played competitive golf so I'm interested in others' opinions on this.

> >

> > True. Over 72 it’s lessened a bit. I was thinking 18.

> >

> > But still. The idea of giving shots goes against the mind of any Player.

> >

> > So you might have a guy shoot 16 under for 4 days and lose to a guy who’s -7 on the card for the week. I just see loads of room for epic fail here.

> >

> > It’s a case of fixing something that wasn’t broken.

>

> The point you seem to be missing is that in the former scenario, the fed ex leader got a head start as well through the points system and didn't have to shoot the best score in the last tourney to win. The scenario you described above could happen in the old format. So, that's why I'm not sure what you're arguing the format should be.

THIS... the move to strokes is only eliminating the points system where we needed Steve Sand and a calculator every other hole the final day running what if's and calculating points based on who finishes where. the new strokes system simply gives similar lead to the top seeded players in the form of strokes. We now will be able to easily see on sunday exactly what it takes a player to do to win...and the actual players will also know.

Ping G400 LST 10 w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 75g
TM M2 3HL w/ Rogue Black 70 S
Cobra F8 19*
J15CB w/ Modus 120X 4-P
Cleveland RTX3 CB 50 54 58
TM Spider Tour Black w/ T-sightline 36" 

> @chigolfer1 said:

> Ah, fair enough. I didn't understand that was the angle you were coming from but, yeah, the winner of the event doesn't have to shoot the lowest score.

Which is why the final event needs to be 3 rounds of stroke play using the current stroke scoring system....and then the final round being match play event...a morning and afternoon match play event between players finishing 1-4. we have to get to a point the overall winner wins that week as well. this format begs for match play if you limit the size of field to top 1-4 or 1-8. you then are nearly guaranteed the final to be top names unlike the dell match play format when starting with 64 players.

Just look at the final top eight after the final events first 3 rounds and imagine any 1v1 match play scenario playing for 10M.... against the current system we have in place.

even better... add one additional week and take the final top 4 to shadow creek and make the championship match a primetime match play event.

• Like 1

Cobra F8 19*
J15CB w/ Modus 120X 4-P

For the most part I really don't "care" who wins any tournament. Just hoping for an intriguing leaderboard and a close finish

• Like 2

TM Stealth Plus 10.5 Ventus TR Velocore Red 5

Ping G425 Max 5 FW 17.5 Ventus Velocore Red 7

Srixon ZX MKII 3UT MMT 95

Callaway X Forged CB 21' 4-PW Modus 120

Yururi Tataki 52.5, 56.5 and 60.5 DG S200
Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips
Kirkland Performance+ Ball

> @manku said:

> Jay Monahan has said one reason for the changes to the Fedex Cup is to keep fans engaged etc...

>

>

>

> Does anyone care who wins this, except for the players and their inner circle? Or perhaps fantasy players?

>

>

>

> There will now be a bonus for top 10 regular season points...I personally can't imagine caring or following this. Am I supposed to be excited that DJ just earned an extra 500K?

>

>

>

> Ditto regarding the Tour Championship...which will now be handicapped.

>

>

>

> The Masters, arguably the most prestigious golf tournament in the world, goes out of it's way not to mention money.

>

>

>

> The PGA goes the other direction.

>

>

>

> Doesn't make me feel good paying $6 for bottled water and $14 for a beer!

> @manku said:

> Jay Monahan has said one reason for the changes to the Fedex Cup is to keep fans engaged etc...

>

>

>

> Does anyone care who wins this, except for the players and their inner circle? Or perhaps fantasy players?

>

>

>

> There will now be a bonus for top 10 regular season points...I personally can't imagine caring or following this. Am I supposed to be excited that DJ just earned an extra 500K?

>

>

>

> Ditto regarding the Tour Championship...which will now be handicapped.

>

>

>

> The Masters, arguably the most prestigious golf tournament in the world, goes out of it's way not to mention money.

>

>

>

> The PGA goes the other direction.

>

>

>

> Doesn't make me feel good paying $6 for bottled water and $14 for a beer!

For the most part, a boring bunch of no names. If you got time to waste on this, you have my sympathies. But at least it keeps some of you off the streets,

> @cmb71 said:

> I know this would never fly, because... ratings, money, more weeks = more money, etc.

>

> However, as a fan of golf and watching all tours on TV, I think the season long points could get you to the top 150/125, whatever (no cut, play all 4 rounds). Play 1 tournament to get down to the Top 64 (tie breakers/playoffs to get into the Top 64 could be good TV). Top 64 match play (seeding based on season long performance, maybe add a points bonus kicker for the 1st tournament of Fed Ex Cup too). Play it out for the eventual winner (just like March Madness). Might make Dell mad though. :wink:

>

> I am aware that match play is not big for ratings, just speaking as a fan of the game and what would be meaningful to me. The champ would really be the champ, and only one champ (not a Tour Champ winner and Fed Ex Cup Champ). No gimmicks. Rotate the courses to great venues each year too. 2 weeks only.

I would like to see match play the first three rounds of the Tour Championship, then stroke play the final round.

• Like 1

I enjoy all the events throughout the year and seeing who wins those so its really not a big deal to me who wins the compilation of Fedex points at the end. Basically every year it comes down to the guys who have dominated all year so its all gravy at that point watching them battle it out.

That being said, watching the qschool/kft finals and all that stress is FAR more riveting to me. Man is that intense and impressive.

TSR2  | Original One Mini |Apex UW 19

Nike Vapor Speed 4i | 5-GW T100S Black 

SM8 Black 54* / 60*

Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

WITB

I've always liked the FedEx Cup - though I do like it better that it's shortened to three events. In the past, I always felt like by the third event it had peaked and the wait to the Tour Championship made it lose some momentum.

Also, is there a better alternative? It seems like people just want the four majors and nothing else nowadays, including some of the players.

• Like 1

> @LICC said:

> > @cmb71 said:

> > I know this would never fly, because... ratings, money, more weeks = more money, etc.

> >

> > However, as a fan of golf and watching all tours on TV, I think the season long points could get you to the top 150/125, whatever (no cut, play all 4 rounds). Play 1 tournament to get down to the Top 64 (tie breakers/playoffs to get into the Top 64 could be good TV). Top 64 match play (seeding based on season long performance, maybe add a points bonus kicker for the 1st tournament of Fed Ex Cup too). Play it out for the eventual winner (just like March Madness). Might make Dell mad though. :wink:

> >

> > I am aware that match play is not big for ratings, just speaking as a fan of the game and what would be meaningful to me. The champ would really be the champ, and only one champ (not a Tour Champ winner and Fed Ex Cup Champ). No gimmicks. Rotate the courses to great venues each year too. 2 weeks only.

>

> I would like to see match play the first three rounds of the Tour Championship, then stroke play the final round.

i disagree... early round match play then increase the likelihood of top guys getting knocked out....even if they have a good round and a lesser player gets hots. stroke play early the match play gives us a greater chance that we end up with rory vs koepka in the finals for 10M.

Cobra F8 19*
J15CB w/ Modus 120X 4-P

> @HoosierMizuno said:

> > @LICC said:

> > > @cmb71 said:

> > > I know this would never fly, because... ratings, money, more weeks = more money, etc.

> > >

> > > However, as a fan of golf and watching all tours on TV, I think the season long points could get you to the top 150/125, whatever (no cut, play all 4 rounds). Play 1 tournament to get down to the Top 64 (tie breakers/playoffs to get into the Top 64 could be good TV). Top 64 match play (seeding based on season long performance, maybe add a points bonus kicker for the 1st tournament of Fed Ex Cup too). Play it out for the eventual winner (just like March Madness). Might make Dell mad though. :wink:

> > >

> > > I am aware that match play is not big for ratings, just speaking as a fan of the game and what would be meaningful to me. The champ would really be the champ, and only one champ (not a Tour Champ winner and Fed Ex Cup Champ). No gimmicks. Rotate the courses to great venues each year too. 2 weeks only.

> >

> > I would like to see match play the first three rounds of the Tour Championship, then stroke play the final round.

>

> i disagree... early round match play then increase the likelihood of top guys getting knocked out....even if they have a good round and a lesser player gets hots. stroke play early the match play gives us a greater chance that we end up with rory vs koepka in the finals for 10M.

You would be down to the top 32 or so players at that point anyway. The chances that all the top 8-10 players would get knocked out is likely similar to the chances that the top 8-10 players all don’t play well in stroke play and are non- factors on Sunday too

> @Titleist99 said:> I'm just trying to figure out who this vast majority of golf fans is that you speak of. Most of my friends are embracing the FedEx playoffs and The Cup. The only thing that they're guilty of is trying to make it too perfect...which they never will.

Most of my friends couldn't care less who wins the cup. The only thing they are guilty of is looking forward to next years majors which are the only events that really matter.

The Tour is obviously hyping the FedEx Cup this year to a much higher level.

I've got to believe it's because FedEx is wanting more exposure for their buck instead of it being a background, by-the-way, award.

But, if it's the Tour overestimating our interest in it, they're proving once again how out of touch they are with the fans.

Titleist TSi3 D Smoke Black 60 5.5
Titleist TSi2 3w/7w Tensei Blue 65
Callaway Apex DCB/DG AMT Red
Titleist Vokey SM7 (Raw)
TM Spider Tour Black
Titleist ProV1
Titleist Hybrid 14
Bag Boy Nitron

It seems that on WRX there can only be two schools, for or against. But I'm willing to bet that the vast majority are taking the middle ground.

There are two tremendous tournaments taking place, The Northern Trust and The BMW, both have stellar fields and both have superb venues (Liberty for the views if nothing else). These two events can be taken in isolation and enjoyed for what they are, top class golf tournaments.

The Tour Championship is slightly different in that while it will be a stellar field it is an extremely limited one, but the quality of the golf should in theory be significantly higher. Quality of courses is a subjective matter and East Lake doesn't particularly float my boat, but it will not detract from the quality of the golf.

Which leads me to the Fed-Ex Cup. While I will watch all of the golf I will have zero interest in the standings or the outcome of the Fed-Ex Cup. I noticed the changes in position up on the screen during this weeks broadcast but I didn't register them . I know that the final is handicapped and I know that there are 10 shots involved but I don't know how they will be applied, it may become unintentionally apparent during the TC. The fact is I'm just not engaged with the outcome of something that I don't find particularly relevant.

So in a nutshell, a person can just enjoy the golf, enjoy both that and the supplementary competition that is the FX Cup or if none of this is doing anything for you why not go out and enjoy a round, next April is only 8 months away.

Mizuno ST-X 220 10.5 Aldila Ascent Stiff

Mizuno ST230 16*  UST LINQ

Mizuno JPX Fli_HI #4 20* UST Recoil F3

Mizuno JPX Fli_HI #5 22.5* UST Recoil F3

Mizuno MP 5 5- PW TTDG 95 stiff

Mizuno T22 50 KBS $ Taper Lite
Mizuno T22 56 KBS $ Taper Lite
Mizuno M Craft OMOI #1

I'm interested who wins but the interest levels aren't even close to comparable to majors, Players etc.

The Tour Championship needs to renamed the FedEx Cup Final or something and just play it as the winner takes all event. They can't have the Tour Championship event as a handicapped golf tournament its a joke. I totally get the winner takes all format and I'm all for it as a way to wrap up the playoffs but I have problem with a handicapped tournament (Tour Championship), it being awarded OWGR points, counting as an official win etc.

Will be interesting to see what happens. If a lot of the top players coming into the playoffs get displaced from their high positions and miss out in the big bonus money we might hear some grumbles.

[size=2]Titleist 910D3 8.5°
TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° S Grind & 58° C Grind
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
Titleist Pro V 1x[/size]

i'd say the fed ex playoffs have a problem if myself and i'm sure many others who love watching golf found the KornFerry final tournament much more interesting and more watchable. Maybe its partly because cbs coverage is awful along with gary mcCord....but these fedex playoffs couldn't be less interesting.

• Like 1

Cobra F8 19*
J15CB w/ Modus 120X 4-P

> @HoosierMizuno said:

> i'd say the fed ex playoffs have a problem if myself and i'm sure many others who love watching golf found the KornFerry final tournament much more interesting and more watchable. Maybe its partly because cbs coverage is awful along with gary mcCord....but these fedex playoffs couldn't be less interesting.

Just keep voting with our feet (remotes) and maybe something will change.

> @nichho said:

> It seems that on WRX there can only be two schools, for or against. But I'm willing to bet that the vast majority are taking the middle ground.

>

> There are two tremendous tournaments taking place, The Northern Trust and The BMW, both have stellar fields and both have superb venues (Liberty for the views if nothing else). These two events can be taken in isolation and enjoyed for what they are, top class golf tournaments.

>

> The Tour Championship is slightly different in that while it will be a stellar field it is an extremely limited one, but the quality of the golf should in theory be significantly higher. Quality of courses is a subjective matter and East Lake doesn't particularly float my boat, but it will not detract from the quality of the golf.

>

> Which leads me to the Fed-Ex Cup. While I will watch all of the golf I will have zero interest in the standings or the outcome of the Fed-Ex Cup. I noticed the changes in position up on the screen during this weeks broadcast but I didn't register them . I know that the final is handicapped and I know that there are 10 shots involved but I don't know how they will be applied, it may become unintentionally apparent during the TC. The fact is I'm just not engaged with the outcome of something that I don't find particularly relevant.

>

> So in a nutshell, a person can just enjoy the golf, enjoy both that and the supplementary competition that is the FX Cup or if none of this is doing anything for you why not go out and enjoy a round, next April is only 8 months away.

This pretty much nailed how I feel, even though I watch very little of pro golf in general. The tournaments themselves are great with great fields but the whole faux drama over who wins the FC is ridiculous and many of us could care less about.

• Like 1

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

> @Bad9 said:

> > @nichho said:

> > It seems that on WRX there can only be two schools, for or against. But I'm willing to bet that the vast majority are taking the middle ground.

> >

> > There are two tremendous tournaments taking place, The Northern Trust and The BMW, both have stellar fields and both have superb venues (Liberty for the views if nothing else). These two events can be taken in isolation and enjoyed for what they are, top class golf tournaments.

> >

> > The Tour Championship is slightly different in that while it will be a stellar field it is an extremely limited one, but the quality of the golf should in theory be significantly higher. Quality of courses is a subjective matter and East Lake doesn't particularly float my boat, but it will not detract from the quality of the golf.

> >

> > Which leads me to the Fed-Ex Cup. While I will watch all of the golf I will have zero interest in the standings or the outcome of the Fed-Ex Cup. I noticed the changes in position up on the screen during this weeks broadcast but I didn't register them . I know that the final is handicapped and I know that there are 10 shots involved but I don't know how they will be applied, it may become unintentionally apparent during the TC. The fact is I'm just not engaged with the outcome of something that I don't find particularly relevant.

> >

> > So in a nutshell, a person can just enjoy the golf, enjoy both that and the supplementary competition that is the FX Cup or if none of this is doing anything for you why not go out and enjoy a round, next April is only 8 months away.

>

> This pretty much nailed how I feel, even though I watch very little of pro golf in general. The tournaments themselves are great with great fields but the whole faux drama over who wins the FC is ridiculous and many of us could care less about.

Correct, and that's kind of what has been said in this thread a few times. The actual winner of the, now, $15M doesn't really matter, but watching a bunch of the top guys on tour play for 3 weeks, does.