2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

MD/DC/VA Golfers - Twelve Monkeys Mental Divergence

eagle1997

> @endlesswinterco said:

> Found a 16th!

Excellent. I really wanted to play, but wife was out of town last weekend and the following weekend is Bethpage, so basically taking all of Sunday off the table wasn't happening. Hive Club Championship is inked in, however.

I am actually playing Sunday morning, but so early that I'm going to be home by noon and have a good wife day. . .brunch, dog walk, etc etc.

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

What do you guys think gets a guy DQ'ed from the US Amateur? Not WD, but DQ.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

> @TheCityGame said:

> Point of interest : A few podcasts back, NLU has on the Callaway media director. He's a guy who has also served as a producer for lots of big time golf and sports. The interview was mostly about golf broadcasts. He had lot of interesting things to say, including why some broadcasts suck so bad.

Is Fox doing the Am coverage today?

I have nothing factual to base this on but I feel like the Fox events that I watched this year were just head and shoulders above everything else. They seem to always be showing actual golf - just shot to shot to shot. Whereas CBS still loves to spend time in the booth interviewing guests while actual play is going on.

Again nothing factual here, just feel like Fox has improved leaps and bounds since they started a few years ago.

• Like 1

TM Stealth2 10.5* - Ventus TR Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Kaili Red 75s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TBD - TM P7MC // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey 46*/50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

> @dcmidnight said:

> > @TheCityGame said:

> > Point of interest : A few podcasts back, NLU has on the Callaway media director. He's a guy who has also served as a producer for lots of big time golf and sports. The interview was mostly about golf broadcasts. He had lot of interesting things to say, including why some broadcasts suck so bad.

>

> Is Fox doing the Am coverage today?

>

> I have nothing factual to base this on but I feel like the Fox events that I watched this year were just head and shoulders above everything else. They seem to always be showing actual golf - just shot to shot to shot. Whereas CBS still loves to spend time in the booth interviewing guests while actual play is going on.

>

> Again nothing factual here, just feel like Fox has improved leaps and bounds since they started a few years ago.

Fox has the coverage. Maybe FS1.

That guy sort of talked about all that stuff. He was talking about how long term deals were signed in like 2011 and we're just in a different era now. Deals included how many commercials, cut-aways to chats with sponsors, blimp shots, etc etc. He thinks when the new deals are signed, things are going to change.

He was producer for Fox golf. He mentioned Turner might be bidding on golf.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

> @dcmidnight said:

> Again nothing factual here, just feel like Fox has improved leaps and bounds since they started a few years ago.

It's not just Fox, either. I feel like what Fox has done with their broadcasts also pushed the other networks forward. Prior to Fox jumping in the mix, the most cutting-edge thing in golf broadcasts was the awful blimp shot where they tracked the ball through the air. All the graphical overlays, protracer, launch data, etc. seems like it's been proliferating because of Fox.

• Like 1

> @FAbb said:

> I got out yesterday afternoon with a buddy of mine, PQ, and City. We played a fourball, that turned out to be a threeball. I played some truly atrocious golf, but man it was fun to be a fly on the wall in that match. There was some good golf. PQ played maybe the best overall golf I've seen from him this year. He was KILLING the TS2 driver, and irons were on point. City went about his business as usual, always showing up when it mattered. He embraces the pressure moments as opportunities to shine as well as anybody I've played with. When there's a putt that matters, he wants to hit it. Save for my par on one of the easiest holes on the golf course, my buddy essentially played the match solo. It ended up square after 18, so a rubber match will certainly be in order.

This was a fun match. PQ and I were 2 up after 6 (with 2 PQ birdies) and then we bogeyed the two easiest holes on the front coming in. FabbFriend started the back birdie-birdie-birdie, but I dropped a longo on 11 and Q made a 6 footer on 12 to keep us in shouting distance. Q won 15 with par after a MONSTER drive (_he had 160 in on a 460 yard hole and the ball was plugged_). I had meaningful putts on 16, 17, 18. Great match.

FabbFriend is a "buddy" but also a pro and I think Fabb was in the wrong head space. He was getting swing help on one hole (come on, man). I think he was so swing focused he wasn't picking good lines or hitting great shots.

Fabb -- you're in a mini slump. You'll emerge by October 6th, which is all that matters. I would say this, based on experience. . .when you're playing great (like you were earlier this year), don't push it. Live with it. Don't try to say, "I'm playing like a 0. I need to now play like a +1." Luxuriate in your zero-ness. Make it the new baseline. When it's comfortable like old shoes, then maybe start to push it, but I think you'll find you don't need to push it. It will just happen.

That's advice to you and me. I'm feeling a little in a "rut" right now. Like I keep returning all my rounds to my "baseline". It feels like I've shot 76 about the last 20 times I've played that course from the tips. I can start out well, or start out crappy, and somehow I return right back to my "comfort zone". I'm dealing with it mentally.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

> > @dcmidnight said:

> > > @eagle1997 said:

> > > > @Puppetmaster said:

> > > > Recap later, if I can remember anything at all, but made a trip to Woodmore yesterday. Glad I finally got to check out the course, but even happier to spend an afternoon with Eagle, Boogs, and C Free. So much LOLing, one liners, and even some golf in between. Old Bay wings to end, and sammich envy of C Free's BLT with overeasy egg. A+++++ experience.

> > >

> > > example of the shenanigans. one one drive, puppet flares one right, one handed finish, but still ends up in the fairway. i proceed to pummel my best drive ever on that hole, up in the fairway where it pinches in. there was some distance between us, and on a lark i ask c.free to shoot the difference between me n puppet's ball (it was A LOT. ((snickers)). btw, this was only on hole 2.

> > >

> > > "break out the laser" became the refrain for the day whenever comparing distance between drives and comparing other things.

> > >

> > >

> >

> > This is obviously a preposterously fabricated story because it involves Puppet, Cfree and Boogs all playing golf.

>

>

>

> Definitely didn’t happen. Too many Bigfoot and unicorn sightings in one outing? Naw, would never happen.

>

>

![](https://media.giphy.com/media/26xBRJgF85NgURpFm/giphy.gif "")

• Like 1

Cobra King LTD 9*, Fujikura Ventus TR Red 6X
Cobra King Tec 17*, Fujikura Axiom 105S

Adams A12 19*, Diamana Thump X
TM TP MC/MB, Fujikura Axiom 105S 
Vokey 250.08, SM9 54-S & 60-V, DG S400
Toulon Palm Beach

I was playing golf swing before we even started, because of what I could tell was coming from my recent rounds. The miss I had yesterday has been creeping into the game for a little while now. I hit a few real baddies contact-wise, but by far and away my dominant shot shape was a FLUSH pull draw. I could not stop it. That hole I was trying to get a rehearsal, I was just looking for anything to help me band-aid it to the clubhouse. I needed something to get me hitting a better start line. I hit a few straight'ish ones here and there, but man that pull draw was a plague I could not shake, all the way to the clubhouse. Maybe I should've just started aiming 40 yards right of my target.

This is sort of normal time of the year for me to slump. Early in the year, I tend to dedicate my golf time to tidying up the swing, even if that means playing golf swing on the course. Maybe I hit the range here and there. Eventually, I get to the point where I am getting it, and need to start focusing on playing golf. I do that for long enough, without any range time to keep on top of the little things, and bad stuff creeps back in until eventually the levee breaks. The levee broke yesterday. A little range time, and maybe a few garage cuts will help get me back in order.

Definitely my slump time of year. I get so wound up for the beginning of the year and really the club match event season that by the time it winds down in August, I'm ready for a mini break. Then when I start back up again, my game is p00p. I've cared less and less about that though over the last few years. I know as the humidity dies down, I'll be back playing 4-5 days a week and get spun up for the fall.

I love the change back to a blade putter, I am starting to get so much more confidence in those 8-15 footers or so.

Vokey 46*/50*/54*/58*

> @FAbb said:

> I was playing golf swing before we even started, because of what I could tell was coming from my recent rounds. The miss I had yesterday has been creeping into the game for a little while now. I hit a few real baddies contact-wise, but by far and away my dominant shot shape was a FLUSH pull draw. I could not stop it. That hole I was trying to get a rehearsal, I was just looking for anything to help me band-aid it to the clubhouse. I needed something to get me hitting a better start line. I hit a few straight'ish ones here and there, but man that pull draw was a plague I could not shake, all the way to the clubhouse. Maybe I should've just started aiming 40 yards right of my target.

>

> This is sort of normal time of the year for me to slump. Early in the year, I tend to dedicate my golf time to tidying up the swing, even if that means playing golf swing on the course. Maybe I hit the range here and there. Eventually, I get to the point where I am getting it, and need to start focusing on playing golf. I do that for long enough, without any range time to keep on top of the little things, and bad stuff creeps back in until eventually the levee breaks. The levee broke yesterday. A little range time, and maybe a few garage cuts will help get me back in order.

Pull hooks is a problem for me, too. Then, I start aiming a little right and hit blocks. I actually get the pull-draws worse when I aim my body to the right. I think doing that forces me to swing more across my body. So, I like to open my stance a little, do a rehearsal swing where I'm feel path/face and then rip it.

This summer I actually laid a club down at my feet on the range for the first time in a long time. I'd tell you to do something like that. Just see where you are, and if all your lines are sync'ed up.

Q is playing great. When he's driving it straight, he's a force of nature.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

So I'm looking at the new TM wedges and wondering if I'm the only one that tries to stay as far away as possible from wedges that will rip the cover off the ball or spin your shots back 20 feet. Another thing I love about the Chromesoft, this ball hits and stops for me inside 150 yards.

Vokey 46*/50*/54*/58*

I've never had a problem with wedges that don't spin a lot. I have MORE shots where I don't want a wedge to spin than I do where I want a bunch of spin.

I got rid of the vokey 50º with illegal grooves because I didn't like the spin.

• Like 1

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

The playoff for the final spots will be LIVE at 9:30. Apparently, that's a "fun" playoff.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

I definitely throw alignment stuff down when I practice. I prefer to lay something ahead of the ball pointing down my target to laying one on my foot line.

The more the pull draw has crept into my game, the more my alignment was creeping right, to try and play for it. I figured that out after 8 holes of practicing and losing golf balls with Q a week ago. I finally laid a club down on the 9th tee, and realized how far right I had gotten to aiming. My alignments have been fine since, but man it's a lot harder to score the golf ball with a pull draw when you're lined up properly than when you're aimed way right.

I went to the range after the round yesterday and hit balls until my wrist hurt. I've got 2 pieces to work on. The first, I'm gonna have to steal from City's winter work drill, rehearsing swings with his head against a wall/doorway at home. I'm majorly backing out from the top of my swing. I throw the arms (and with them, the clubface) just to reach the ball. This is from earlier in the year, but illustrates the point.

92ttgvf7wlkg.png

If I can stay a little more on top of it, I should be able to calm the face down a bit and hopefully ditch the aggressive left to more left ball.

The second is actually to steepen things just a smidge in transition. I end up shallowing in transition, from a pretty darn shallow top of the swing position. I'm not touching that until I clean the head movement up though.

> @FAbb said:

> I definitely throw alignment stuff down when I practice. I prefer to lay something ahead of the ball pointing down my target to laying one on my foot line.

>

> The more the pull draw has crept into my game, the more my alignment was creeping right, to try and play for it. I figured that out after 8 holes of practicing and losing golf balls with Q a week ago. I finally laid a club down on the 9th tee, and realized how far right I had gotten to aiming. My alignments have been fine since, but man it's a lot harder to score the golf ball with a pull draw when you're lined up properly than when you're aimed way right.

>

> I went to the range after the round yesterday and hit balls until my wrist hurt. I've got 2 pieces to work on. The first, I'm gonna have to steal from City's winter work drill, rehearsing swings with his head against a wall/doorway at home. I'm majorly backing out from the top of my swing. I throw the arms (and with them, the clubface) just to reach the ball. This is from earlier in the year, but illustrates the point.

>

> 92ttgvf7wlkg.png

>

> If I can stay a little more on top of it, I should be able to calm the face down a bit and hopefully ditch the aggressive left to more left ball.

>

> The second is actually to steepen things just a smidge in transition. I end up shallowing in transition, from a pretty darn shallow top of the swing position. I'm not touching that until I clean the head movement up though.

Everything is *pretty* about that middle picture, except the shoes.

*edit to pretty due to filters.

Ping G430LST 10.5' - Ventus Blue 6S
Srixon ZX 15' - HZDUS Smoke Blue RDX 6.0
Ping G 3 Hybrid

Ping G 430 4 Hybrid

Srixon ZX5 MK2 5, ZX7 MK2 6-GW - Nippon Modus 105S
Titleist SM9 54' and 58' - S Grind
Cleveland HB Soft 11S

> @dcmidnight said:

> So I'm looking at the new TM wedges and wondering if I'm the only one that tries to stay as far away as possible from wedges that will rip the cover off the ball or spin your shots back 20 feet. Another thing I love about the Chromesoft, this ball hits and stops for me inside 150 yards.

I also don't want that much spin. Very few things irritate me more than landing one inside 3 ft with a wedge and it ripping back off the planet.

The worst part about that shot is that when you make contact you know whats going to happen but everyone else says good shot then it pulls back off the green

> @therealsneek said:

> > @TheCityGame said:

> > The playoff for the final spots will be LIVE at 9:30. Apparently, that's a "fun" playoff.

>

> 27 players for the final 3 spots. Just send them out all at once and make it total chaos.

it's live. On youtube.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

> @davechen said:

> How do they do that? Do all 27 play the same hole together?

They go out in foursomes (one 3 some) and make cuts after each hole. The second group is on the first green right now.

Coverage appears to be two dudes whispering into an iPhone and I'm not kidding.

EDIT : actually I don't know if they make cuts after each hole or if it's 3 hole agg or what.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

I dont know what the max per hole is but I'd say somewhere around ~6 players you'd just have too many lines to worry about on the green esp when you get up close to the hole. Feel like maybe I've seen a 6 person playoff go out but maybe not many more.

Vokey 46*/50*/54*/58*

> @dcmidnight said:

> I dont know what the max per hole is but I'd say somewhere around ~6 players you'd just have too many lines to worry about on the green esp when you get up close to the hole. Feel like maybe I've seen a 6 person playoff go out but maybe not many more.

In the Mt Pleasant Mens Club, we used to do a season long points race. At the end of the year, the top 10 would all go off hole 10 at the same time. One guy was eliminated each hole. If two guys tied for highest score, there was a closest-to-hole chip-off. Last man standing after 18 won it.

It was a mad house but that was part of the fun. Guys would be teeing off on 11 while guys were still putting on 10.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

> @baddomes said:

> I don't know in what context I want to use this gif, but I'm going to present it anyway.

>

>

> ![](https://i.imgflip.com/37zoj9.gif "")

>

![](https://i.imgflip.com/37zqfy.gif "")

• Like 1

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

that gif is actually interesting. your hands are remarkably close at impact to their address position. that's a trademark of good ball strikers. some people like me and phil mickelson have their hands way higher. Fabb why does it matter if your head is backing up? I'm not sure I believe that you are throwing your hands at the ball.

> @2moreTerps said:

> that gif is actually interesting. your hands are remarkably close at impact to their address position. that's a trademark of good ball strikers. some people like me and phil mickelson have their hands way higher. Fabb why does it matter if your head is backing up? I'm not sure I believe that you are throwing your hands at the ball.

His lower body is stalling and his hands are taking over.

Probably why he feels he is throwing his hands

And a closed head at the top of your backswing.. might be some of your issues

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway