J. Speith__full swing yips

juliette91

Explains his good finish this week. Explains why he was No. 1 for a time too. The excellence of his wedge & putter game masked the mediocrity of the rest. His temperament is not of help imo, he's too intense, works when he's 25% from 25 feet but back fires when things are a sputter. I like him, really don't think much of his swing though. His short game is world class, so he'll win again but doubt he's the dominant force he once was.

I started this thing and had no idea people felt so strongly about it—mostly opposed to my speculation. All I can say is that sheer numbers of people for or against some idea doesn’t make their opinions right. Heard a talking head on tv say that if it were left to the public we’d still be hanging people.

> @juliette91 said:

> I started this thing and had no idea people felt so strongly about it—mostly opposed to my speculation. All I can say is that **sheer numbers of people for or against some idea doesn’t make their opinions right**. Heard a talking head on tv say that if it were left to the public we’d still be hanging people.

No, it doesn't. I would always go with an experts view over the man in the street. Perhaps you could expand on what your qualifications are vis a vis professional golf and the technical aspects of the modern golf swing?

[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z565 Speeder 569 Evo IV SR[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]TaylorMade RBZ 3 wood, [/size][/font][/color][color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Matrix Ozik R[/size][/font][/color]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Srixon U65 2 iron, Miyazaki S[/size][/color][/font]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Cobra F6 Hybrid 22 degrees RedTie S[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z945 5-pw w/ DG s200[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Miura Y 51 and K 56 DG Spinner, Yururi Raw 61 KBS [/size][/font][/color][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#a4a4a4][size=2]HiRev[/size][/color][/font]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Odyssey O-Works Black 34"[/size][/color][/font]

> @juliette91 said:

> I started this thing and had no idea people felt so strongly about it—mostly opposed to my speculation. All I can say is that sheer numbers of people for or against some idea doesn’t make their opinions right. Heard a talking head on tv say that if it were left to the public we’d still be hanging people.

responding on an internet forum does not necessarily a strongly felt opinion make ... it's an internet forum ... operative word there is "forum" ...

_forum noun

fo·​rum | \ ˈfȯr-əm \

plural forums also fora\ ˈfȯr-​ə \

Definition of forum

1a : the marketplace or public place of an ancient Roman city forming the center of judicial and public business

b : a public meeting place for open discussion

The club provides a forum for people interested in local history.

c : a medium (such as a newspaper or online service) of open discussion or expression of ideas

2 : a judicial body or assembly : COURT

3a : a public meeting or lecture involving audience discussion

The town has scheduled a public forum to discuss the proposal.

b : a program (as on radio or television) involving discussion of a problem usually by several authorities_

aka as "shooting the breeze" ... _To chat or converse aimlessly or casually, without any serious topic of conversation._

your opinion isn't that important ... no one's is ... have a fab tuesday ...

> @"North Texas" said:

> As I like to say, just because you agree with me doesn't mean you are smart and just because you disagree with me doesn't mean you are stupid. And that goes both ways.

Amen.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

> @Nard_S said:

> Explains his good finish this week. Explains why he was No. 1 for a time too. The **excellence of his wedge & putter game masked the mediocrity of the rest. **His temperament is not of help imo, he's too intense, works when he's 25% from 25 feet but back fires when things are a sputter. I like him, really don't think much of his swing though. His short game is world class, so he'll win again but doubt he's the dominant force he once was.

Except we know that was not true. He was very highly ranked tee to green.

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

> @Shilgy said:

> > @Nard_S said:

> > Explains his good finish this week. Explains why he was No. 1 for a time too. The **excellence of his wedge & putter game masked the mediocrity of the rest. **His temperament is not of help imo, he's too intense, works when he's 25% from 25 feet but back fires when things are a sputter. I like him, really don't think much of his swing though. His short game is world class, so he'll win again but doubt he's the dominant force he once was.

>

> Except we know that was not true. He was very highly ranked tee to green.

It's nothing stellar. There's plenty of players with less majors who were flat out better. With a wedge, from 125 out he's fantastic, around the green the same. He's deadly with that Vokey and putter. Not so much with those AP2's.

> @tiderider said:

> > @juliette91 said:

> > I started this thing and had no idea people felt so strongly about it—mostly opposed to my speculation. All I can say is that sheer numbers of people for or against some idea doesn’t make their opinions right. Heard a talking head on tv say that if it were left to the public we’d still be hanging people.

>

> responding on an internet forum does not necessarily a strongly felt opinion make ... it's an internet forum ... operative word there is "forum" ...

>

> _forum noun

> fo·​rum | \ ˈfȯr-əm \

> plural forums also fora\ ˈfȯr-​ə \

> Definition of forum

> 1a : the marketplace or public place of an ancient Roman city forming the center of judicial and public business

> b : a public meeting place for open discussion

> The club provides a forum for people interested in local history.

> c : a medium (such as a newspaper or online service) of open discussion or expression of ideas

> 2 : a judicial body or assembly : COURT

> 3a : a public meeting or lecture involving audience discussion

> The town has scheduled a public forum to discuss the proposal.

> b : a program (as on radio or television) involving discussion of a problem usually by several authorities_

>

> aka as "shooting the breeze" ... _To chat or converse aimlessly or casually, without any serious topic of conversation._

>

> your opinion isn't that important ... no one's is ... have a fab tuesday ...

People seems to think that their opinion has more weight when everything on this board is speculation. When someone says "That's a fact" …..Take it with a grain salt....LOL!

> @juliette91 said:

> Hawkeye, appreciate your thoughtful response but agree with Titleist99 who said it far better than me. Many people comment on many subjects here and I'd say most of those comments don't have nearly the experienced backstory as I have with the full swing yips. So I'm not taking those back just because I don't fit the prerequisites you've described for credible commentary. I know what happens with the yips, I know shots generally go way offline to different zip codes but sometimes they're not quite that far offline and just look bad but not abominable. And it's not just my personal experience either. I was part of a yip study by the Mayo Clinic of Rochester NY on the subject and had a lot of follow up with the study authors and others who follow this dreaded golf infection. It often affects only better golfers and those who tend to think a lot vs. a DJohnson type who can act without too much thinking. I have more knowledge about this subject than I will talk about online but even if I was someone who hadn't had the yips at all, couldn't tell a yip from bad mechanics, I'd still be entitled to speak my mind on this forum. You'd be entitled to challenge if I knew what the H I was talking about. That's why it's a discussion board and not an edict.

Yet you KNOW, you weren't speculating, which was the point, and then double down on it by suggesting disagreeing with you is disrespectful because you've had the issue.

Of course discussion boards are for throwing out all sorts of stuff, everybody has opinions, Brandel still thinks Tiger had the chipping yips along with Haney, so just say "I had this issue, maybe Jordan does too"?

Guess I was struck by the continued definiteness of it all and as I said, you may be proved right in the end.

Ha, don't count on me for advice on the golf swing #97, but you can count on me for knowing as much as any professional golfer about the yips. That's not exactly a stellar calling card but I wouldn't have initially posted anything if I didn't feel I had the experience to back that up. Hope JS never had them and if he did has kissed them bye bye.

> @Nard_S said:

> Explains his good finish this week. Explains why he was No. 1 for a time too. The excellence of his wedge & putter game masked the mediocrity of the rest. His temperament is not of help imo, he's too intense, works when he's 25% from 25 feet but back fires when things are a sputter. I like him, really don't think much of his swing though. His short game is world class, so he'll win again but doubt he's the dominant force he once was.

Bro, you must have missed something for a few years. He’s always been a little hot and cold from short range with the putter, but it was his stellar approach play that was winning him golf tournaments. His iron play was almost up to prime TW standards when he was playing his best. This article gives a quick snapshot of the change over the last few years.

https://www.15thclub.com/2019/07/31/misconception-jordan-spieth/

Wilson Fg Tour M3- Black Ops Black Mamba
Adams Tight Lies 3-16
Adams Tight Lies 5-19(Fuji Speeder 7.2)
Wilson FG Tour V4 Utility - 3
Wilson FG Tour M3 4-GW (Dynamic Gold XP)
Vokey SM 09 56
Odyssey Versa 1W WBW 34"

> @juliette91 said:

> Ha, don't count on me for advice on the golf swing #97, but you can count on me for knowing as much as any professional golfer about the yips. That's not exactly a stellar calling card but I wouldn't have initially posted anything if I didn't feel I had the experience to back that up. Hope JS never had them and if he did has kissed them bye bye.

Are you Ian Baker Finch?

[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z565 Speeder 569 Evo IV SR[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]TaylorMade RBZ 3 wood, [/size][/font][/color][color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Matrix Ozik R[/size][/font][/color]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Srixon U65 2 iron, Miyazaki S[/size][/color][/font]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Cobra F6 Hybrid 22 degrees RedTie S[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z945 5-pw w/ DG s200[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Miura Y 51 and K 56 DG Spinner, Yururi Raw 61 KBS [/size][/font][/color][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#a4a4a4][size=2]HiRev[/size][/color][/font]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Odyssey O-Works Black 34"[/size][/color][/font]

https://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/27162587/navigating-cluttered-mind-jordan-spieth

From article:

Despite his early success, Spieth was never considered one of golf's great ball strikers. During the 2015 season, he ranked 78th in driving distance (291.8 yards) and 80th in driving accuracy (62.9 percent of fairways hit). His greatest strengths were putting, chipping and his imagination around the green.

Quote from Curtis Strange in same:

"In my opinion, his stats from tee to green were never up to par with his record that he established early on," Strange said. "He was a great chipper and putter. I applaud him for trying to get better. But in the long run, you're trying to be a better ball striker. I hope he can accomplish that. He's certainly accomplished a lot with what he has."

Sums it up well,

> @Nard_S said:

> https://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/27162587/navigating-cluttered-mind-jordan-spieth

>

> From article:

> Despite his early success, Spieth was never considered one of golf's great ball strikers. During the 2015 season, he ranked 78th in driving distance (291.8 yards) and 80th in driving accuracy (62.9 percent of fairways hit). His greatest strengths were putting, chipping and his imagination around the green.

>

> Quote from Curtis Strange in same:

> "In my opinion, his stats from tee to green were never up to par with his record that he established early on," Strange said. "He was a great chipper and putter. I applaud him for trying to get better. But in the long run, you're trying to be a better ball striker. I hope he can accomplish that. He's certainly accomplished a lot with what he has."

>

> Sums it up well,

That is a terribly uninformed take from Strange. Spieth was 4th in SG Tee to green 2015 and second in 2017. Even in a winless 2018 he was top 25 SG tee to green while his putting slipped outside the top 100. Around the green does count in that stat to Spieths benefit but in his magical year of 2015 he's top 15 in both off tee and approach. Hes second in approach in 2017. To say he wasn't an elite ball striker is just wrong.

> @Cincy_Ken said:

> > @Nard_S said:

> > https://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/27162587/navigating-cluttered-mind-jordan-spieth

> >

> > From article:

> > Despite his early success, Spieth was never considered one of golf's great ball strikers. During the 2015 season, he ranked 78th in driving distance (291.8 yards) and 80th in driving accuracy (62.9 percent of fairways hit). His greatest strengths were putting, chipping and his imagination around the green.

> >

> > Quote from Curtis Strange in same:

> > "In my opinion, his stats from tee to green were never up to par with his record that he established early on," Strange said. "He was a great chipper and putter. I applaud him for trying to get better. But in the long run, you're trying to be a better ball striker. I hope he can accomplish that. He's certainly accomplished a lot with what he has."

> >

> > Sums it up well,

>

> That is a terribly uninformed take from Strange. Spieth was 4th in SG Tee to green 2015 and second in 2017. Even in a winless 2018 he was top 25 SG tee to green while his putting slipped outside the top 100. Around the green does count in that stat to Spieths benefit but in his magical year of 2015 he's top 15 in both off tee and approach. Hes second in approach in 2017. To say he wasn't an elite ball striker is just wrong.

I'd agree. We can all quibble about what it means to be considered in "golf's great" but the article is hugely flawed just by the fact that it only listed driving related figures.

Yes, maybe he ran in a few more putts at crucial times and that's helped his record. But you have to get the ball in play and on the green in the first place to have that chance. That's what he's not doing consistently enough now. Even when he's started with a couple of good rounds, one of them is usually held together with duct tape and twine (bomb putts, hole outs, crazy up and downs, etc) and it finally catches up to him when the full swing just puts him in too many bad spots.

I don't even like the guy that much but to say he wasn't hitting it great is just dumb.

> @agolf1 said:

> > @Cincy_Ken said:

> > > @Nard_S said:

> > > https://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/27162587/navigating-cluttered-mind-jordan-spieth

> > >

> > > From article:

> > > Despite his early success, Spieth was never considered one of golf's great ball strikers. During the 2015 season, he ranked 78th in driving distance (291.8 yards) and 80th in driving accuracy (62.9 percent of fairways hit). His greatest strengths were putting, chipping and his imagination around the green.

> > >

> > > Quote from Curtis Strange in same:

> > > "In my opinion, his stats from tee to green were never up to par with his record that he established early on," Strange said. "He was a great chipper and putter. I applaud him for trying to get better. But in the long run, you're trying to be a better ball striker. I hope he can accomplish that. He's certainly accomplished a lot with what he has."

> > >

> > > Sums it up well,

> >

> > That is a terribly uninformed take from Strange. Spieth was 4th in SG Tee to green 2015 and second in 2017. Even in a winless 2018 he was top 25 SG tee to green while his putting slipped outside the top 100. Around the green does count in that stat to Spieths benefit but in his magical year of 2015 he's top 15 in both off tee and approach. Hes second in approach in 2017. To say he wasn't an elite ball striker is just wrong.

> I'd agree. We can all quibble about what it means to be considered in "golf's great" but the article is hugely flawed just by the fact that it only listed driving related figures.

>

> Yes, maybe he ran in a few more putts at crucial times and that's helped his record. But you have to get the ball in play and on the green in the first place to have that chance. That's what he's not doing consistently enough now. Even when he's started with a couple of good rounds, one of them is usually held together with duct tape and twine (bomb putts, hole outs, crazy up and downs, etc) and it finally catches up to him when the full swing just puts him in too many bad spots.

>

> I don't even like the guy that much but to say he wasn't hitting it great is just dumb.

You're definitely right. A lot of Spieth's good rounds recently I've called smoke and mirror shows; he's had a ton of rounds recently where it struck it miserably and still made a score. I believe he'll figure out the ball striking sometime in the next year and will once again be a top 5 golfer. I don't think he ever gets to 2015 level but that's a year that's really only been surpased by Tiger and Ben Hogan.

You don't have to attend Julliard to appreciate good music. On the perch of where this guy is historically and which is quite good his ball striking is not what got him there. He's a scorer for sure. He is no Faldo nor Watson. He's not even as good as Norman or Price. Rose and Stenson are better. His strength is not tee to green., guess what DJ's is not around or on it. But he wins a lot. His 2019 stats validate my POV. He'll win again, might even rack up some more majors, but no one is pining to have his ball striking. They'll take his tenacity & grit and his short game. Again, I really like the guy, but he has an innate swing issue, it will be his achillea' s, his weakness for a long, long time.

> @Nard_S said:

> You don't have to attend Julliard to appreciate good music. On the perch of where this guy is historically and which is quite good his ball striking is not what got him there. He's a scorer for sure. He is no Faldo nor Watson. He's not even as good as Norman or Price. Rose and Stenson are better. His strength is not tee to green., guess what DJ's is not around or on it. But he wins a lot. His 2019 stats validate my POV. He'll win again, might even rack up some more majors, but no one is pining to have his ball striking. They'll take his tenacity & grit and his short game. Again, I really like the guy, but he has an innate swing issue, it will be his achillea' s, his weakness for a long, long time.

If you want to go by his 2019 Stats go ahead. The 2019 stats say he's 44th in Fed Ex pointa and is nowhere close to the Presidents Cup team. If you want to look at when he made a name for himself he was slightly better Tee to green than putting in his career year of 2015, better putting in 2016, and far better tee to green than putting in 2017. His swing is obviously the issue this year but it's not like it's long been a weekness for him. Even in a winless 2018 he hit it more than good enough to win tournaments and had a bad putting year.

• 2 weeks later...

I started this discussion and while I think JS is less likely than likely to have the driving yips it is hard to account for his wild tee shots that led to the tour leading multiple strokes over par on holes. You can have swing flaws, mechanical hitches but they generally--at tour pro level--do not so consistently lead to way off tee shots sufficiently off to produce for tour level short game players league leading double and triple bogeys. That these high hole scores occur mostly on the weekend makes a case for something pressure oriented causing these big blips. Anyway, we'll likely never know.

> @juliette91 said:

> I started this discussion and while I think JS is less likely than likely to have the driving yips it is hard to account for his wild tee shots that led to the tour leading multiple strokes over par on holes. You can have swing flaws, mechanical hitches but they generally--at tour pro level--do not so consistently lead to way off tee shots sufficiently off to produce for tour level short game players league leading double and triple bogeys. That these high hole scores occur mostly on the weekend makes a case for something pressure oriented causing these big blips. Anyway, we'll likely never know.

I agree - the weekend thing indicates a mental (pressure) component leading to high scores - especially in the past two years. It showed up during his last win at the Open and infamously at No. 12 at Augusta National. It will be fascinating to see if he can find a way to overcome it.