What to do when your bag setup just feels perfect?

jjfcpa

Try to get out to Wild Horse in Gothenburg. It's worth the 7 hour round trip.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Halle Berry's husband left her... finding perfect doesn't mean that you can't go find a different version of perfect. Plus, that new car smell even makes a clunker seem like an upgrade.

Get into clubmaking and refinishing. Then you can buy anything without any intention of ever playing it. Vintage putters are my drug of choice. They'll never see grass again, but they are a cheap distraction when I get the itch to start shopping.

"Of all the hazards, fear is the worst" - Sam Snead
WITB: PXG 0311 ~ Ping Anser 4w @16.5 ~ Cobra F6 Baffler @18.5 ~ Titleist T300 4-P ~ Titleist Vokey 48, 54, 58 ~ Cleveland HB 8

Go play is definitely the best advice, but it's funny. When you get to be my age, all my buddies t> @jbrunk said:

> 1. Shoes, because you can always play in style!

> 2. Headcovers, it’s a colorful world (full of skulls, apparently)

> 3. Backup putter, maybe a mid-mallet, something to keep warm under that extra putter cover

> 4. 2nd driver, not a mini driver, but a lower-launching, penetrating flight for windy days

> 5. New bag, all those colorful covers need a blank slate so they really pop

> 6. The ground is really firming up (or softening) out there, time for some lower (or higher) bounce wedges.

> 7. ****, I wish I had a 4 hybrid. You, I mean...YOU wish you had a 4 hybrid. Sure would make that #7 par 3 an easy approach.

> 8. Okay, so now you’ve got a second bag, driver, putter, hybrid, & wedges; so...time for reserve irons! The 5° gaps in the scoring irons are always leaving me between clubs, so, how about blades? Yeah, I’ll find some nice 10yr old blades with a little life left. I’d better go demo some new blades to get a feel for what I like. [cue MP-20 release]

> 9. Ok, I really wasn’t going to buy a whole other set, but I’m liking that 2nd driver. And the whole teal driver and green/yellow fairways thing isn’t jiving with my fancy red-yellow-black head cover scheme. Hmm, F9 is getting pretty good reviews....

> 10. That’s it. I’m tired of mixing and matching between all these sets. I’m gonna trade it in and go all PING.

> 11. Oh yeah, I guess I should get a PING bag to go with all my PING clubs.

> 12. Sweet! My bag is set! Time to start looking at shoes again.

After reading that list, maybe I do need to retire so I have time to do all these things... love the list.

> @mogc60 said:

> > @jjfcpa said:

> > > @mogc60 said:

> > > > @platgof said:

> > > > I really enjoy reading your posts. Why not travel and fill us in on the best golf courses you have played lately??? I'm serious! Forget the clubs and spend it on some nice courses in your area.

> > >

> > > Ps...I agree with this. Starts golf just a few years back I’m assuming after retirement and goes full tilt WRX’er and gets down to around a 12 in a few years and constantly looking to improve. Who doesn’t like reading that.

> > >

> >

> > Actually, I'm not retired. Still working full time, but since I own the company, I can afford to take off regularly to play golf. The first 2-3 years, I worked on my game really hard. I was determined to fix my swing so it was at least consistent if not long. Really focused on the short game, which I have to depend on because my GIR are not dependable. Pitching, chipping, and putting are the strong part of my game.

> >

> > Thanks for that comment. Very encouraging. I'd like to get down to a single digit handicap but I know how difficult that is.

>

> Well if you work that hard on your game I’m not surprised you’re still at it full time with your business. You’ll get to single digits...you have the mentality to do it. Kudos to you...golf is a tough game, but the best and most rewarding game there is. I’m glad you found it...

Yes, golf is a fun and relaxing game. Frustrating at times when you know how to play the shot, picked out the right club, then fail to execute for one reason or another. I guess that's what makes it so challenging. Even the pros do it. My only wish is that I would have found this game when I was younger. Oh well, age is only a number.

> @Argonne69 said:

> Try to get out to Wild Horse in Gothenburg. It's worth the 7 hour round trip.

>

One of my employees is from North Platte and has mentioned it to me. She wants to play too. She played Dismal River last year and really enjoyed it but played it near the end of the playing season, so the weather wasn't very nice. We're talking about playing those Western Nebraska courses one of these days.

> @"GHIN n Juice" said:

> > @jjfcpa said:

> > > @platgof said:

> > > I really enjoy reading your posts. Why not travel and fill us in on the best golf courses you have played lately??? I'm serious! Forget the clubs and spend it on some nice courses in your area.

> >

> > This Saturday I'm playing Iron Horse in Ashland, Nebraska. It's a beautiful course about 30 minutes from Omaha. One of the most scenic courses in what is generally pretty mundane courses. Here's a link if you're interested. First time I will have played it this year.

> >

> > [golfironhorse.com/-the-course](http://www.golfironhorse.com/-the-course "golfironhorse.com/-the-course")

> >

>

> Iron Horse is a really fun course. It has a few wonky holes but overall it’s a great place to play.

Iron Horse and Quarry Oaks are both great courses and both have some pretty wild holes, but that's what makes them so much fun to play. Both should be opening up now that Big Red football is around the corner.

I'm in a bit of this predicament with my current bag, but it's a great problem to have! I've spent the extra time "blueprinting" this set and trying to get the smaller details written down and ironed out. Dynamic loft and lie adjustments, for instance. On my strokes gained spreadsheet, I also have a spot where you can input the club you hit on any given shot, so I can track club changes and how they actually affect my game on course. That rabbit hole is deep enough that it takes up plenty of my attention!

AI Smoke TD 9° w/HZRDUS Yellow

Epic Flash 12.5° w/Voodoo VS

'24 Apex UW 19° w/Rogue Silver

Epic Flash 20° w/VS Proto 
'19 Apex Pro 5-9 w/DG

MD2 47° & 52° + PM 1.0 58° & 64° w/DG
Odyssey White Hot 2 Ball Frankenstein (Fowler style)
[img]http://pxc86358mpx1hyn3hdxen4o1.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/171831.png[/img]

> @jjfcpa said:

> > @Argonne69 said:

> > Try to get out to Wild Horse in Gothenburg. It's worth the 7 hour round trip.

> >

>

>

> One of my employees is from North Platte and has mentioned it to me. She wants to play too. She played Dismal River last year and really enjoyed it but played it near the end of the playing season, so the weather wasn't very nice. We're talking about playing those Western Nebraska courses one of these days.

Dismal River is awesome. I made a cross Nebraska trek a few years back, playing Awarii Dunes, Wild Horse, Dismal River (Doak and Nicklaus), Prairie Club (Pines and Dunes), and Bayside. It's a heck of a lot of driving, but worth it, especially in the Sand Hills area.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

> @"Dan Drake" said:

> I'm in a bit of this predicament with my current bag, but it's a great problem to have! I've spent the extra time "blueprinting" this set and trying to get the smaller details written down and ironed out. Dynamic loft and lie adjustments, for instance. On my strokes gained spreadsheet, I also have a spot where you can input the club you hit on any given shot, so I can track club changes and how they actually affect my game on course. That rabbit hole is deep enough that it takes up plenty of my attention!

I'm shocked you didn't give a different answer...

... Join next year's "bag is set" challenge. Your perfect bag will be in shambles before spring starts, guaranteed.

• Like 1

"Of all the hazards, fear is the worst" - Sam Snead
WITB: PXG 0311 ~ Ping Anser 4w @16.5 ~ Cobra F6 Baffler @18.5 ~ Titleist T300 4-P ~ Titleist Vokey 48, 54, 58 ~ Cleveland HB 8

Buy backups of everything just in case.

Titleist TSr3 8* Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 6
Titleist TSr3 15* Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 7
Sonartec MD 19* Fujikura Banzai
MacGregor Pro-M 4-P S300
MacGregor MT-Pro 52.6*, 56.12*, 58.10 bent to 59*
Scotty Cameron California Series Del Mar

Gonplay lots of golf. Buy shoes and other things

TM SIM2 Max 10.5 UST V 2 
TM SIM Max 15 UST V2 66g
TM Stealth HL 17 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
TM Stealth UDI 19 UST V2
TM Stealth UDI 23 UST v2 
TM P790 6-PW Nippon Modus 3 105
TM MG 3 Black 50 Nippon Modus Tour WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 54 Nippon Pro WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 58 Nippon Pro Modus 105 T
TM TP Hydro Blast Bandon 3

You're a year older than me, yet with all those years under your belt, apparently haven't realized "if it works, don't fix it." The greater goal of taking up the game of golf is to play the game of golf to the best of your ability... NOT chase perfection in equipment. My 2cents...Have a good day.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i to PW MMT 105S
  • SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

> @jjfcpa said:

> > @sandtrap said:

> > A real wrx starts on a “back up bag” or goes in to a rebuild because there has to be something better or missing

>

> A backup bag could come in handy just to sort of mix things up and for comparison purposes. Thinking that Titleist might be the way to go. Waiting for some comparison reviews on the new Titleist irons.

No sense waiting...the 718 AP irons are far better looking than the new T series irons, and from a performance standpoint, like all things Titleist, I doubt there will be a drastic difference there. As for the 620 series irons, the MB is absolutely stunning and probably performs as you would expect any blade to perform; with regard to the CB, I think the 718 CB looks better, and I'm sure performance between the two is a wash. The biggest advance Titleist seems to have made with this release cycle is the TS woods and hybrids, though having hit the TS3 against my current gamer 917 D3, I just don't see enough of a performance advantage with the TS to justify changing to it just to change to it. Now, the TS4 on the other hand may give me a little more to think over, but happily, no one near me has one to demo, so my driver remains safely in the bag.

Titleist TS4 8.5* Diamana D+ LTD 70 X
Titleist 917F2 18* (turned down to 17.25*) Diamana S+ 80X
4 - 718 Titleist AP3 Project X 6.0
4-P 718 Titleist AP2 Project X 6.0
White Satin Mizuno MP T7 51-08 Modus 3 105X
Blue Ion Mizuno MP T7 55-09 Modus 3 105X Soft Stepped
Blue Ion Mizuno MP T7 59-09 Modus 3 105X Soft Stepped
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Fastback 1