2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Partial Scholarships and other issues that college players face

> @CTgolf said:

> Great party school

>

> Between golf and good times, a great way to not get a solid education

Do you really need college to get an education? Less than 20% of the job market right now needs and individual to have a four year college degree. It is paying money to get a solid foundation of contacts. A college Education is over rated. My degree was in Physical and Mathematics Education. After teaching for 10 years, I now spend my days running a very successful business for my father in law. My father in law's major was Recreation and he runs a business. Other than business/finance or becoming an attorney, no one really needs a college education. Not many people even go into education any more. Public school systems are now filled with the scraps from people that couldn't make it in the private sector. Sure, there are some good teachers out there, but not many because people aren't becoming educators anymore. While I am on my rant, college professors suck too for the most part.

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

Very true

Kids could also take the Abe Lincoln approach to education - don't even need to attend college in the first place.

I know ppl who went to ASU (not golfers) and they said it was a party school, and that they didn't need to attend class or study much to get by. I've never heard the same about any of the universities known for academic rigor.

All of this is only relevant if you think college is useful for receiving an education.

> @CTgolf said:

> Very true

>

> Kids could also take the Abe Lincoln approach to education - don't even need to attend college in the first place.

>

> I know ppl who went to ASU (not golfers) and they said it was a party school, and that they didn't need to attend class or study much to get by. I've never heard the same about any of the universities known for academic rigor.

>

> All of this is only relevant if you think college is useful for receiving an education.

UCSB - big time party school with six Nobel Laureates on staff and an extremely rigorous sciences program with tons of other [academic accolades](https://www.ucsb.edu/about/facts-and-figures "academic accolades").

There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

> @CTgolf said:

> Very true

>

> Kids could also take the Abe Lincoln approach to education - don't even need to attend college in the first place.

>

> I know ppl who went to ASU (not golfers) and they said it was a party school, and that they didn't need to attend class or study much to get by. I've never heard the same about any of the universities known for academic rigor.

>

> All of this is only relevant if you think college is useful for receiving an education.

Academic Rigor is code word for being indoctrinated into the liberal world. A lot of brainwashing goes on in colleges that are supposedly known for academics.

> @heavy_hitter said:

> > @CTgolf said:

> > Very true

> >

> > Kids could also take the Abe Lincoln approach to education - don't even need to attend college in the first place.

> >

> > I know ppl who went to ASU (not golfers) and they said it was a party school, and that they didn't need to attend class or study much to get by. I've never heard the same about any of the universities known for academic rigor.

> >

> > All of this is only relevant if you think college is useful for receiving an education.

>

> Academic Rigor is code word for being indoctrinated into the liberal world. A lot of brainwashing goes on in colleges that are supposedly known for academics.

It depends on what you study. If you major in humanities or social sciences, perhaps. Not too much liberal indoctrination going on in hard sciences, math, finance/economics, etc.

Going to a campus and being exposed to many different opinions (as well as debating those with whom you disagree) is an integral part of the college experience. Hopefully the student's foundational upbringing (by parents) will have prepared them to not become brainwashed.

> @leezer99 said:

> > @CTgolf said:

> > Very true

> >

> > Kids could also take the Abe Lincoln approach to education - don't even need to attend college in the first place.

> >

> > I know ppl who went to ASU (not golfers) and they said it was a party school, and that they didn't need to attend class or study much to get by. I've never heard the same about any of the universities known for academic rigor.

> >

> > All of this is only relevant if you think college is useful for receiving an education.

>

> UCSB - big time party school with six Nobel Laureates on staff and an extremely rigorous sciences program with tons of other [academic accolades](https://www.ucsb.edu/about/facts-and-figures "academic accolades").

Didn't make your list though.

UCSB is probably between #4 and #6 in terms of desirability among the UC schools. Subjective of course, but definitely not above UCB, UCLA or UCSD.

> @CTgolf said:

> > @leezer99 said:

> > > @CTgolf said:

> > > Very true

> > >

> > > Kids could also take the Abe Lincoln approach to education - don't even need to attend college in the first place.

> > >

> > > I know ppl who went to ASU (not golfers) and they said it was a party school, and that they didn't need to attend class or study much to get by. I've never heard the same about any of the universities known for academic rigor.

> > >

> > > All of this is only relevant if you think college is useful for receiving an education.

> >

> > UCSB - big time party school with six Nobel Laureates on staff and an extremely rigorous sciences program with tons of other [academic accolades](https://www.ucsb.edu/about/facts-and-figures "academic accolades").

>

> Didn't make your list though.

>

> UCSB is probably between #4 and #6 in terms of desirability among the UC schools. Subjective of course, but definitely not above UCB, UCLA or UCSD.

For golf yes. For a good time it's numero uno.

> @leezer99 said:

> > @CTgolf said:

> > > @leezer99 said:

> > > > @CTgolf said:

> > > > Very true

> > > >

> > > > Kids could also take the Abe Lincoln approach to education - don't even need to attend college in the first place.

> > > >

> > > > I know ppl who went to ASU (not golfers) and they said it was a party school, and that they didn't need to attend class or study much to get by. I've never heard the same about any of the universities known for academic rigor.

> > > >

> > > > All of this is only relevant if you think college is useful for receiving an education.

> > >

> > > UCSB - big time party school with six Nobel Laureates on staff and an extremely rigorous sciences program with tons of other [academic accolades](https://www.ucsb.edu/about/facts-and-figures "academic accolades").

> >

> > Didn't make your list though.

> >

> > UCSB is probably between #4 and #6 in terms of desirability among the UC schools. Subjective of course, but definitely not above UCB, UCLA or UCSD.

>

> For golf yes. For a good time it's numero uno.

Oh I was referring to selectivity/academics. College and all - my bad.

> @heavy_hitter said:

> > @CTgolf said:

> > Very true

> >

> >

> >

>

> Academic Rigor is code word for being indoctrinated into the liberal world. A lot of brainwashing goes on in colleges that are supposedly known for academics.

This ^^^

Just to share some info about my son. This year he will be playing for a top15 DII school, he received with athletic and academic scholarships enough to pay in-state tuition. Room and board is what is left. He played 2 years at a local JC who happens to be one of the best in the state. He never played in an AJGA event, just some medium sized junior tours and some decent amateur events.

• Like 1

> @FSUGolfdog said:

> Just to share some info about my son. This year he will be playing for a top15 DII school, he received with athletic and academic scholarships enough to pay in-state tuition. Room and board is what is left. He played 2 years at a local JC who happens to be one of the best in the state. He never played in an AJGA event, just some medium sized junior tours and some decent amateur events.

That is a really smart way to get the most bang for your buck!

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

> @FSUGolfdog said:

> Just to share some info about my son. This year he will be playing for a top15 DII school, he received with athletic and academic scholarships enough to pay in-state tuition. Room and board is what is left. He played 2 years at a local JC who happens to be one of the best in the state. He never played in an AJGA event, just some medium sized junior tours and some decent amateur events.

Awesome. Best of luck to your son.

> @heavy_hitter said:

> > @CTgolf said:

> > Great party school

> >

> > Between golf and good times, a great way to not get a solid education

>

> Do you really need college to get an education? Less than 20% of the job market right now needs and individual to have a four year college degree. It is paying money to get a solid foundation of contacts. A college Education is over rated. My degree was in Physical and Mathematics Education. After teaching for 10 years, I now spend my days running a very successful business for my father in law. My father in law's major was Recreation and he runs a business. Other than business/finance or becoming an attorney, no one really needs a college education. Not many people even go into education any more. Public school systems are now filled with the scraps from people that couldn't make it in the private sector. Sure, there are some good teachers out there, but not many because people aren't becoming educators anymore. While I am on my rant, college professors suck too for the most part.

Is this stat correct? Less than 20% of the job market requires a 4-year college degree?

>

> Do you really need college to get an education? Less than 20% of the job market right now needs and individual to have a four year college degree. It is paying money to get a solid foundation of contacts. A college Education is over rated. My degree was in Physical and Mathematics Education. After teaching for 10 years, I now spend my days running a very successful business for my father in law. My father in law's major was Recreation and he runs a business. Other than business/finance or becoming an attorney, no one really needs a college education. Not many people even go into education any more. Public school systems are now filled with the scraps from people that couldn't make it in the private sector. Sure, there are some good teachers out there, but not many because people aren't becoming educators anymore. While I am on my rant, college professors suck too for the most part.

Hooray! I’m a scrap who couldn’t make it in the real world!

> @yellowlover519 said:

> > @heavy_hitter said:

> > > @CTgolf said:

> > > Great party school

> > >

> > > Between golf and good times, a great way to not get a solid education

> >

> > Do you really need college to get an education? Less than 20% of the job market right now needs and individual to have a four year college degree. It is paying money to get a solid foundation of contacts. A college Education is over rated. My degree was in Physical and Mathematics Education. After teaching for 10 years, I now spend my days running a very successful business for my father in law. My father in law's major was Recreation and he runs a business. Other than business/finance or becoming an attorney, no one really needs a college education. Not many people even go into education any more. Public school systems are now filled with the scraps from people that couldn't make it in the private sector. Sure, there are some good teachers out there, but not many because people aren't becoming educators anymore. While I am on my rant, college professors suck too for the most part.

>

> Is this stat correct? Less than 20% of the job market requires a 4-year college degree?

>

>

I don't know. It is a number that I have heard thrown around. According to Georgetown U it is 35%. When you start looking at the stats, most people with a college degree don't even work in the field they earned their degree for. A lot of jobs require some type of post secondary education, but not 4 year degrees.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/10/31/the-future-of-work-wont-be-about-degrees-it-will-be-about-skills.html

https://cew.georgetown.edu/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/Recovery2020.ES_.Web_.pdf

• 2 weeks later...

> @BloctonGolf11 said:

> > @kekoa said:

> > > @BloctonGolf11 said:

> > > > @kekoa said:

> > > > @heavy_hitter

> > > > You say it is easier to get a full ride being smart then athletic, but sometimes this isn't the case either. Everyday I speak to an associate who has a kid entering college they tell me how insanely competitive it is on the scholastic side. I mean there are kids where I live who have 4.4 GPA's and solid SAT's who can't get into state schools let alone get any scholarship money unless they are underprivileged. With that said, I also feel like these same kids have spent so much time on their studies that they forgot to round themselves out by being involved in anything else but scholastics.

> > >

> > > I would love to know what state schools you are not getting into with a 4.4 GPA and "solid" (which is a very vague word) SAT scores. You may be talking about some elites like UCLA or Berkley but those are beyond the norm of a typical "state school".

> >

> > Ucla, usc, berkely, purdue, penn state. From what I was told the kids sat’s were in the high 1,300’s

>

> If they had high 1300s and had a 4.3 I am going to say what is very uncomfortable: their parents or the child made some serious mistakes in their application. Even at the highest of those schools UCLA/Berkely they are well within the average numbers for acceptance rate. For some of your other schools (Penn State) they are WELL ABOVE the average incoming freshmen. Something is a miss with your friend's experiences.

The 1300 and 4.3 would put this student on an outside chance of getting into UCLA, USC, and Cal, but should not be expected to get into any of the 3. None of these schools are safety schools and even stronger applications will be rejected for them. Just meeting averages for these schools means nothing when there are 110k+ applicants for < 15k spots. If you're statistically average, the best chance you're giving yourself is a coinflip. You can bolster your application with community service, student office, sports, and solid essays, but without any of this information and just the stats, I would expect a 4.3 weighted and middling SAT to be denied from all 3.

Not going to comment on Penn State or Purdue since I have no experience with these

edit: Saw that the kid had applied to engineering. Without looking up further stats, I'd assume the GPA and SAT are now bordering the below average side. The dude's best chance at getting into the 3 would be to go to a JC and get a 4.0 for 2 years then transfer in. Can be done.

> @Shades234 said:

> > @BloctonGolf11 said:

> > > @kekoa said:

> > > > @BloctonGolf11 said:

> > > > > @kekoa said:

> > > > > @heavy_hitter

> > > > > You say it is easier to get a full ride being smart then athletic, but sometimes this isn't the case either. Everyday I speak to an associate who has a kid entering college they tell me how insanely competitive it is on the scholastic side. I mean there are kids where I live who have 4.4 GPA's and solid SAT's who can't get into state schools let alone get any scholarship money unless they are underprivileged. With that said, I also feel like these same kids have spent so much time on their studies that they forgot to round themselves out by being involved in anything else but scholastics.

> > > >

> > > > I would love to know what state schools you are not getting into with a 4.4 GPA and "solid" (which is a very vague word) SAT scores. You may be talking about some elites like UCLA or Berkley but those are beyond the norm of a typical "state school".

> > >

> > > Ucla, usc, berkely, purdue, penn state. From what I was told the kids sat’s were in the high 1,300’s

> >

> > If they had high 1300s and had a 4.3 I am going to say what is very uncomfortable: their parents or the child made some serious mistakes in their application. Even at the highest of those schools UCLA/Berkely they are well within the average numbers for acceptance rate. For some of your other schools (Penn State) they are WELL ABOVE the average incoming freshmen. Something is a miss with your friend's experiences.

>

> The 1300 and 4.3 would put this student on an outside chance of getting into UCLA, USC, and Cal, but should not be expected to get into any of the 3. None of these schools are safety schools and even stronger applications will be rejected for them. Just meeting averages for these schools means nothing when there are 110k+ applicants for < 15k spots. If you're statistically average, the best chance you're giving yourself is a coinflip. You can bolster your application with community service, student office, sports, and solid essays, but without any of this information and just the stats, I would expect a 4.3 weighted and middling SAT to be denied from all 3.

>

> Not going to comment on Penn State or Purdue since I have no experience with these

>

> edit: Saw that the kid had applied to engineering. Without looking up further stats, I'd assume the GPA and SAT are now bordering the below average side. The dude's best chance at getting into the 3 would be to go to a JC and get a 4.0 for 2 years then transfer in. Can be done.

You are missing my point. I never said not getting into all of the schools they mentioned would be surprising. I was meaning not getting into ANY (a single one) of them with those numbers points to an underlying issue somewhere else. He made the comment of not getting into "state schools" with that number and if you are not getting into most state schools with that number you have some underlying issues with your application. As I also said USC, UCLA, and Berkeley are outside that norm.

> @BloctonGolf11 said:

> > @Shades234 said:

> > > @BloctonGolf11 said:

> > > > @kekoa said:

> > > > > @BloctonGolf11 said:

> > > > > > @kekoa said:

> > > > > > @heavy_hitter

> > > > > > You say it is easier to get a full ride being smart then athletic, but sometimes this isn't the case either. Everyday I speak to an associate who has a kid entering college they tell me how insanely competitive it is on the scholastic side. I mean there are kids where I live who have 4.4 GPA's and solid SAT's who can't get into state schools let alone get any scholarship money unless they are underprivileged. With that said, I also feel like these same kids have spent so much time on their studies that they forgot to round themselves out by being involved in anything else but scholastics.

> > > > >

> > > > > I would love to know what state schools you are not getting into with a 4.4 GPA and "solid" (which is a very vague word) SAT scores. You may be talking about some elites like UCLA or Berkley but those are beyond the norm of a typical "state school".

> > > >

> > > > Ucla, usc, berkely, purdue, penn state. From what I was told the kids sat’s were in the high 1,300’s

> > >

> > > If they had high 1300s and had a 4.3 I am going to say what is very uncomfortable: their parents or the child made some serious mistakes in their application. Even at the highest of those schools UCLA/Berkely they are well within the average numbers for acceptance rate. For some of your other schools (Penn State) they are WELL ABOVE the average incoming freshmen. Something is a miss with your friend's experiences.

> >

> > The 1300 and 4.3 would put this student on an outside chance of getting into UCLA, USC, and Cal, but should not be expected to get into any of the 3. None of these schools are safety schools and even stronger applications will be rejected for them. Just meeting averages for these schools means nothing when there are 110k+ applicants for < 15k spots. If you're statistically average, the best chance you're giving yourself is a coinflip. You can bolster your application with community service, student office, sports, and solid essays, but without any of this information and just the stats, I would expect a 4.3 weighted and middling SAT to be denied from all 3.

> >

> > Not going to comment on Penn State or Purdue since I have no experience with these

> >

> > edit: Saw that the kid had applied to engineering. Without looking up further stats, I'd assume the GPA and SAT are now bordering the below average side. The dude's best chance at getting into the 3 would be to go to a JC and get a 4.0 for 2 years then transfer in. Can be done.

>

> You are missing my point. I never said not getting into all of the schools they mentioned would be surprising. I was meaning not getting into ANY (a single one) of them with those numbers points to an underlying issue somewhere else. He made the comment of not getting into "state schools" with that number and if you are not getting into most state schools with that number you have some underlying issues with your application. As I also said USC, UCLA, and Berkeley are outside that norm.

Miscategorization of "state schools" aside, the 5 schools were given and 3 of those schools were USC, UCLA and Cal. It is NOT surprising at all that a student with middling GPA and SAT score would be rejected from all 3 engineering programs unless the student had very strong EC's (which we don't have access to). If the list had continued on to include Cal Poly, SDSU, Fresno State, etc., then I would agree that there was something glaringly bad on the application. However, no student is entitled to get into USC, UCLA, or Cal. Even if they are statistically average, and that's not the case here. It's actually my expectation that this student wouldn't be accepted to any of the 3. If you have the funds, it's worth a shot to submit an application, but one should understand that the odds aren't in their favor. Admissions is simply too competitive now. The college (engineering vs letters & sciences) and major (computer science vs materials science) applied to matters. This student was applying to engineering. For example, engineering at UCLA is ridiculous now. Cal and SC are the same way. There is a fluctuation of admittance rates within engineering majors, but these kids are no joke.

"This year’s record-breaking applications—more than 26,000 for 800 seats—for the fall quarter underscores that UCLA Samueli is in high demand. Similarly, with a median GPA of 4.59 (weighted), 4.00 (unweighted), and a median SAT score of 1540, the incoming engineering Class of 2022 had their pick of universities." [source](https://samueli.ucla.edu/incoming-engineering-freshmen-share-why-they-are-uclabound2022/)

[uCLA Engineering Major Admission Rates](https://www.seasoasa.ucla.edu/wp-content/uploads/seasoasa/2018-UCEE-Report-2.pdf). Page 5 is where the admission rates by undergraduate major are found. And these are all kids with the median GPA's and scores listed above.

• 2 weeks later...

Good morning all... added this year's winners with their college to the spreadsheet.

[Google Sheets - Top 125 Golfers + Colleges](https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1QielkdP3e1rc7vnrCb11PDYNyysoNuFF6IU0KzbblWg/edit?usp=sharing "Google Sheets - Top 125 Golfers + Colleges")