Played behind a BIG hitter yesterday

tatertot

> @Ferguson said:

> > @DavePelz4 said:

> > > @LeftDaddy said:

> > > I have a good friend who carries his driver 340 and he’s pretty straight every time. He uses an old Titleist driver totally not “fit” for him, and hits it way too high. But he does that because he plays a lot of parkland courses and he wants the ball to go over all the trees. He takes lines I’ve never seen off tee boxes.

> > >

> > > His drives hit and immediately stop, though, because they descend from such heights.

> > >

> > > I’m decently long. Pair me with 100 random guys over the course of a year and I’m longer than probably all but 10-20 of them. I’m short by WRX standards but I move it OK.

> > >

> > > Anyway, my buddy hits his drives 70 yards past me and 30 yards past anybody else you’d consider really long. He’s a great scramble partner and always wins the long drive competition at the scramble.

> >

> > With all appropriate respect...he hits it 340 BUT he hits it TOO high?

> >

> > That's like being married to Kate Upton and saying she's just OK.

>

> Or like saying Paul Casey has average forearms.

My point is that he leaves yards on the table and he knows it. His launch conditions are almost certainly not optimal. His driver is 20 years old, and I asked him why he still plays it, especially with how high he hits it, etc. He just said that he can hit it straight and it is long enough for any course he plays, and he likes hitting it high to clear all of the trees.

I hit my driver too low. I was told years ago in a fitting that I needed to launch it lower. This was before all of the low spin, high launch craze. So we got me in a low loft driver, lowered the tee height, and stiffened my shaft. Then about two years later everyone starts the high launch craze. I’ve slowly adjusted by increasing my loft, etc. I’m still not sure my launch conditions are optimal.

But I move it OK, and I guess that is your point with the forearm and Kate Upton stuff. She’s married to Verlander, and he’s a local guy. The talk around town is that she shows up in local shops every now and then. That would be a sight!

> @LeftDaddy said:

> > @Ferguson said:

> > > @DavePelz4 said:

> > > > @LeftDaddy said:

> > > > I have a good friend who carries his driver 340 and he’s pretty straight every time. He uses an old Titleist driver totally not “fit” for him, and hits it way too high. But he does that because he plays a lot of parkland courses and he wants the ball to go over all the trees. He takes lines I’ve never seen off tee boxes.

> > > >

> > > > His drives hit and immediately stop, though, because they descend from such heights.

> > > >

> > > > I’m decently long. Pair me with 100 random guys over the course of a year and I’m longer than probably all but 10-20 of them. I’m short by WRX standards but I move it OK.

> > > >

> > > > Anyway, my buddy hits his drives 70 yards past me and 30 yards past anybody else you’d consider really long. He’s a great scramble partner and always wins the long drive competition at the scramble.

> > >

> > > With all appropriate respect...he hits it 340 BUT he hits it TOO high?

> > >

> > > That's like being married to Kate Upton and saying she's just OK.

> >

> > Or like saying Paul Casey has average forearms.

>

> My point is that he leaves yards on the table and he knows it. His launch conditions are almost certainly not optimal. His driver is 20 years old, and I asked him why he still plays it, especially with how high he hits it, etc. He just said that he can hit it straight and it is long enough for any course he plays, and he likes hitting it high to clear all of the trees.

>

> I hit my driver too low. I was told years ago in a fitting that I needed to launch it lower. This was before all of the low spin, high launch craze. So we got me in a low loft driver, lowered the tee height, and stiffened my shaft. Then about two years later everyone starts the high launch craze. I’ve slowly adjusted by increasing my loft, etc. I’m still not sure my launch conditions are optimal.

>

> But I move it OK, and I guess that is your point with the forearm and Kate Upton stuff. She’s married to Verlander, and he’s a local guy. The talk around town is that she shows up in local shops every now and then. That would be a sight!

>

Sounds like you're in RVA. She's been spotted a number of times at Stoney Point and Short Pump malls. Their house is on the north side of the James River near 288. When you are crossing the bridge on 288 heading north, its up on the hill to the right of the bridge. Its a Spanish style home with red terra cotta shingles. Their house is not too far from Kinloch, where he's a member.

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Tensei AV Raw White 65X

PXG Gen 6 0311 15* - Aldila Tour Blue 75X

PXG  Gen 5 0311 19* - Aldila Tour Blue 85X

PXG 0311T Gen 5 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

Two things here:

1. Possibly the only thing worse than the guy who thinks he’s a bomber, are his friends who actually believe it too.

2. I had a coworker for years who would always tell me how far he hit it. He was a former golf pro and I knew he was a solid player. He would say he averaged 320+ and eventually I convinced him that maybe he was a little off. Then we finally played. 3rd hole par 5, he finally hits driver for the first time, with such incredible force, to a spot on this hole I have never seen anyone close to. Get there, measure it via GPS, 350 yards. No wind, no downhill, nothing. I had to eat my words but it was a sight to behold when he did it a few more times that day.

Wilson Fg Tour M3- Black Ops Black Mamba
Adams Tight Lies 3-16
Adams Tight Lies 5-19(Fuji Speeder 7.2)
Wilson FG Tour V4 Utility - 3
Wilson FG Tour M3 4-GW (Dynamic Gold XP)
Vokey SM 09 56
Odyssey Versa 1W WBW 34"

Amateur bombers exist, they are out there. Got to play with a cricketer, decent golfer as well (single digit), and the guy could absolutely crush his drives, I'm talking driving the green on 300 m par 4! His iron play was really good too, the batting action from his cricket days allowed him to have that super descending blow, very crisp contact every time.

I still beat him because his putting really let him down, and his misses with the driver were absolutely off the planet! Way too penalizing to score a decent number.

i actually don't have a problem with this at all. maybe he needs to check his ego in the locker room, but it's sounds pretty clear that he actually has a high swing speed. I'd MUCH rather have him wait until he's not going to hit anyone and then slice/hook/do whatever with, than have him hit because "i never hit it that far" and it actually does get to someone. if they're waiting on the group on every tee box, that means they're playing fast golf once they tee off in order to catch up to them after waiting them to clear that long.

I have a nephew who has serious clubhead speed. The launch monitor at the local Edwin Watts clocked him at 127. I asked him one day how far he was hitting his driver. He said about 230 yards. "What?" Turns out he's been hitting big banana slices with his driver. If I was 290 yds in front of him, I would want him to wait to hit just in case he happened to hit it straight.

> @CROUSE99 said:

> I have a nephew who has serious clubhead speed. The launch monitor at the local Edwin Watts clocked him at 127. I asked him one day how far he was hitting his driver. He said about 230 yards. "What?" Turns out he's been hitting big banana slices with his driver. If I was 290 yds in front of him, I would want him to wait to hit just in case he happened to hit it straight.

i was there until a couple years ago. i was clubhead 125 and just sprayed everything. i had a super weak grip, no shoulder turn, and naturally had an OOT swing. I got a few lessons and a lot of hours on the range and straightened it out, but i HATED waiting on the teebox...yes i might hit it 300+ right down the middle...which means i might hit them, but i also might hit it ob right and have to do it again....

> @tatertot said:

> > @Stanks said:

> > OP doesn't know what trigonometry is... 175 Forward and 225 Right doesn't mean it's 400 yards away...But I digress.

> > I used to be that guy. I can still send it far but, it's just smarter to play it safer. It's fun when you have a guy in your group that can hit far. It definitely is a psychological thing.

>

> OP is well aware of what trig is ... Are you aware of what things like "hyperbole", "common sense" and "carrying on a conversation" are?

>

> Oddly, smart people are like long hitters. The real ones just do their thing, those that are lacking try to show off and talk about what they can do.

How is this not getting more love? So awesome.

There are 4 short par 4's on this high-end public course I play at when I'm not at my club. They range from 300-340yds from the back, I can drive all 4. When I can I always let the guys in front know that on these holes I will generally hit it close to them and yell real loud if I know I'm getting close. If I don't know them I'll just layup short or I'll make sure to miss away from them. This happens all the time on par 5s, people ask me why I layup when I clearly can go for the green, I don't care. I don't get paid millions to hit shots, I don't even care if it is a match, I'm not holding people up.

Under no circumstance do I wait around on 8 holes (including par 5s) for me to hit shots unless I'm playing a tourney.

This weekend we played there, on the first hole it was 380 yds and I was just 30 yds from the green and I noticed those guys get a little antsy. I came up to them after they putted and asked them if they would just watch out on a couple of holes for me to hit from the tee box as I hit it a little long. Hole 12 is 310 yds all carry over water, they waived me from the green, I hit it to 15ft from the hole. We never held anyone up and finished in under 3hr 30mins which was longer than I usually play.

I also drove another green like this, they were real cool about this and understood why I didn't want to hold anyone up but didn't want to intrude on them as well. I explained that while I hit it really far I'm less than 20% to hit the green. I didn't want to back the course up or rush them. Great group of guys and we actually hung out in the club house and had a good time afterwards.

Communication is the key and making people aware of not causing a delay alleviates a lot of issues..

It's the same thing with me walking ahead. People love playing with me because I'm usually way ahead of them and in the fairway, I walk and find their balls and keep everyone moving. For instance, on one of the holes I drove an old guy in the group hit it into the bunker. I went to the bunker got the rake and raked it for him after his shot, then proceded to the green. It took me about 5 secs to see the line 5 secs to hit my putt.

I don't stand around wasting time or making people wait for me to hit shots.

• Like 1

> @Pittknife said:

> There are 4 short par 4's on this high-end public course I play at when I'm not at my club. They range from 300-340yds from the back, I can drive all 4. When I can I always let the guys in front know that on these holes I will generally hit it close to them and yell real loud if I know I'm getting close. If I don't know them I'll just layup short or I'll make sure to miss away from them. This happens all the time on par 5s, people ask me why I layup when I clearly can go for the green, I don't care. I don't get paid millions to hit shots, I don't even care if it is a match, I'm not holding people up.

> Under no circumstance do I wait around on 8 holes (including par 5s) for me to hit shots unless I'm playing a tourney.

> This weekend we played there, on the first hole it was 380 yds and I was just 30 yds from the green and I noticed those guys get a little antsy. I came up to them after they putted and asked them if they would just watch out on a couple of holes for me to hit from the tee box as I hit it a little long. Hole 12 is 310 yds all carry over water, they waived me from the green, I hit it to 15ft from the hole. We never held anyone up and finished in under 3hr 30mins which was longer than I usually play.

> I also drove another green like this, they were real cool about this and understood why I didn't want to hold anyone up but didn't want to intrude on them as well. I explained that while I hit it really far I'm less than 20% to hit the green. I didn't want to back the course up or rush them. Great group of guys and we actually hung out in the club house and had a good time afterwards.

> Communication is the key and making people aware of not causing a delay alleviates a lot of issues..

> It's the same thing with me walking ahead. People love playing with me because I'm usually way ahead of them and in the fairway, I walk and find their balls and keep everyone moving. For instance, on one of the holes I drove an old guy in the group hit it into the bunker. I went to the bunker got the rake and raked it for him after his shot, then proceded to the green. It took me about 5 secs to see the line 5 secs to hit my putt.

> I don't stand around wasting time or making people wait for me to hit shots.

It's amazing how easy things get when we think about people other than ourselves. We could use more golfers (and people in general) like you.

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

Funny.

A while back I was walking along the right side of the fairway on one of our par-5s. About 320 off the tee. Ball comes zinging over my head with a thud into the rough right past me. I was ticked and, very unusual for me, decided to walk back and have a friendly word with the guy to try to wait a little longer next time. As I get closer I notice it's my very good friend. Strong guy who can crush it once in a while. We laughed. Clown...

I'm amazed at how many guys say, "Oh, I hit my drives 260 on average." I know...we're on WRX here...but, 260 is a dang good drive for a weekend warrior amateur. Finally, I'm starting to literally average about that and I'm one of the longer guys in our group. I want to stretch out that average. Wish me luck...at my age.

Was walking off the big nasty double dog leg par five on my home course and a ball thuds down right in the middle of the green. Here comes two guys in a cart from around the corner. They said sorry for hitting up, I said all is OK, you really didn't' but what did you hit to get here? Dude goes./.. "Hybrid, hybrid"... I hit driver, 3 wood, wedge...

Well alrighty then.. Y'all have a nice day. There are guys that are just really long and no amount of practice is gonna get me there.

High school golf is where I see the posers waiting at 295 for the green to clear. Every GD match..

I was paired up with two guys a couple years ago while on vacation. First hole was a 420 yard par 4. I tee off first and hit about 275. The next guy, he’s about 6’, 220, crushes one at least 340. The other guy, was about 6’3”, and around 250+. His tee shot was a good 20 yards past his buddy. I’m thinking, this is going to be a humbling round. I hit my approach to the fringe, and watch these guys. The first guy flies the green and the second guy chunks his chip shot. I two putted for par. The “smaller” guy chips on and two puts for bogey. The bigger guy chips on and three puts for a double. I two putted for par. They continually out drove me all round, but at the end of the round we were all around the same score. I shot an 84. I used to be one of those guys who would try to crush it on every drive and hit one out of every three straight, I can still go long occasionally even at over 45 but I prefer taking the shorter route on the fairway.

> @Baitkiller said:

> Was walking off the big nasty double dog leg par five on my home course and a ball thuds down right in the middle of the green. Here comes two guys in a cart from around the corner. They said sorry for hitting up, I said all is OK, you really didn't' but what did you hit to get here? Dude goes./.. "Hybrid, hybrid"... I hit driver, 3 wood, wedge...

>

> Well alrighty then.. Y'all have a nice day. There are guys that are just really long and no amount of practice is gonna get me there.

> **High school golf is where I see the posers waiting at 295 for the green to clear. Every GD match..**

>

Tell me about it. My dad runs a junior tour in our community and the stories he tells me are ridiculous sometimes. Like 13 yo waiting from 240 out into the wind with 5 or 6 irons in there hands. It's a pretty non-competitive tour so he'll sometimes offer advice like "maybe you should grab some more club" and they never listen only to flush it and have it come up 30+ yards short. They then sit there and scratch their head. But I guess they are no different than the rest of golf writ large really. If the masses think they hit it 250+ all day long when they are really lucky to be scraping it 215 most of the time it shouldn't be too much of a surprise a kid thinks they are just as long as McIlroy on a hot streak.

Taylormade R510TP - Speeder 757 Sonartec NP-99 14* and 17* - NV Green 85 Nickent Genex 3DX 21* - Dynamic Gold SL Titleist 660 4-P - Dynamic Gold Cleveland 54* and 59* - Dynamic Gold Scotty Cameron Teryllium

That really has no place on a golf course unless specially because it sounds to me like he looks like the guys on television competing. If that was slowing down my round watching a player hack it up like that, I am pretty sure the pro shop will get a call for me so that they can send some over to wave at him and tell him how great of a long driver he is.

Cobra LTD 9* TP6HD
Cobra Big Tour 14.5* TP7HD 

Cobra F6 Baffler 19* Kiyoshi Purple

Wilson Staff Staff Blades 3-PW Recoil I95 stiff 

Wilson PMP 52/56 Raw

Titliest SquareBack LA 135 

Vice Pro+ Lime Green Goodness

> @uitar9 said:

> I'm old, hit it 200 on a good day. Got joined up with a single man and a nice couple last weekend. This guy kept telling me how far I was hitting, 230, 240, 250.

> A lotta Folks don't have any idea of distance

This. A buddy and I got paired with two elderly gents a few years ago. I hit the ball surprisingly far for my size and age. My buddy is a bigger, stronger guy and can give it a good enough wack. These older guys were members/regulars at the course we were playing. On the 2nd hole I stripe one and the guys go nuts. "300 yards to get there, wow!". I'm feeling pretty good about myself and decide to measure the drive. 241yards.

Another uphill drive into a breeze got great cheers from these two guys. "That's 300 right there!". 230 yards...............

Never told them the truth and enjoyed my false superpowers for the round.

Callaway Rogue Max LS Driver, 9 degrees, Tensei Blue shaft

Mizuno ST180 5 wood

Ping G425 Max 7 wood
Srixon ZX4 4 iron
Srixon ZX5 irons 5-PW, Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 shafts

Cleveland RTX6 48* wedge

Cleveland Zipcore 54* wedge
Cleveland RTX 58* full face wedge
Nike Method Core Drone 2.0 putter 34"

Good point. One of our Mens night guys hit it 270 last night. Not bad for a guy who plays once a week as he is a good father with two young kids.

> @BeerPerHole said:

> Funny.

> A while back I was walking along the right side of the fairway on one of our par-5s. About 320 off the tee. Ball comes zinging over my head with a thud into the rough right past me. I was ticked and, very unusual for me, decided to walk back and have a friendly word with the guy to try to wait a little longer next time. As I get closer I notice it's my very good friend. Strong guy who can crush it once in a while. We laughed. Clown...

> I'm amazed at how many guys say, "Oh, I hit my drives 260 on average." I know...we're on WRX here...but, 260 is a dang good drive for a weekend warrior amateur. Finally, I'm starting to literally average about that and I'm one of the longer guys in our group. I want to stretch out that average. Wish me luck...at my age.

There was a time, before I had 2 back surgeries, that I was the one hitting the stupid long drives. I couldnt tell you the number of times someone on the tee box would try to convince me it's ok to hit. I knew it wasnt, so I just waited, but some people just dont get it. I'd rather wait an extra few minutes than risk killing someone.

I remember playing with my great uncle one day (unfortunately, only round I ever got to play with him). All day he kept telling me "go ahead and hit, they're out of range". Or if there was a hazard out in the fairway, I'd pull an iron and he'd tell me to hit my driver. When I'd tell him I needed to wait, he would say "I've been playing golf for 60 years, I have never seen anyone hit the ball that far, go ahead". I just smiled and enjoyed the day. We got to 18, fairly short par 5 with a pond in the middle of the fairway. It was about 270 to the pond, 325 to carry it. I had my driver in my hand and was waiting for the group ahead, who was just on the other side of the pond, to clear out. The rest of our group had all teed off and were waiting. He kept telling me "they're on the other side of the pond, go ahead". I told him I was going to hit it over the pond, and I think he actually got mad at me, lol. He said "GD boy there aint no way you're hitting the ball over that f'n pond". After I proceeded to fly the pond by 10-15 yards, he looked at me and said "boy, I have never seen anyone hit the ball that far in all my life". Later that night he told me if we got to play again, he would just take my word when I told him I needed to wait. Unfortunately, he passed away not long after that so I never got the chance.

These days, as I age and my back continues to get worse, if I hit a drive 260-270, it was rather well struck. It's incredibly frustrating to max out your driver where hybrids used to fly, but I'm just thankful I can still play at all.

Played in a scramble fundraiser a few years ago in association with the long drive tour. They had a long drive competitor on every tee. Our group made the decision to go ahead and put a drive or two in the fairway and relieve some pressure on the long hitters to keep one in play. We saw some incredible drives that day. Several well over 400 yards. The longest was a downhill Par-5 and the guy hit one 471 yards.

Titleist TSi2 10* Ventus Blue 6X
Titleist TS2 16* Diamana S+ 60X 
Taylormade Rescue 22* Aldila XVS9
Titleist T100S TT Dynalite Sensicore X100 4-PW
Vokey SM5 50*, 54* and 60* TT DGS400
SIK Pro Custom

> @bub72ck said:

> Played in a scramble fundraiser a few years ago in association with the long drive tour. They had a long drive competitor on every tee. Our group made the decision to go ahead and put a drive or two in the fairway and relieve some pressure on the long hitters to keep one in play. We saw some incredible drives that day. Several well over 400 yards. The longest was a downhill Par-5 and the guy hit one 471 yards.

Just imagine what GolfWRX tournament would look like? 471 would be safe 3-wood fairway finders.

• Like 1

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

I get the golfwrx long joke for sure, but what people forget is that this forum does not reflect a typical population of golfers most of us see on a mens night or weekend outing.

This is a forum dedicated to die hard gear heads, tour fans and golf enthusiast who have enough passion to sit here and post opinions, thoughts and ideas on the game daily not just play the odd round every week or two while drinking a six pack with the buddies.

I have no doubt this place is skewed less to the novice side and more to the advanced player side. I don't have any reason to believe that a bunch of good players posting on a golf site are not hitting it far.

About 1979 my golf experience consisted of 2 weeks of highschool Phys Ed hitting wiffle balls around the football field, one 3 hole outing at the only golf course in town and maybe playing 18 once or twice. At the time I was renting a house with my best friend (we were 18 and 19 years old) and our landlord was affectionately known as "Big Al" he was about 5' 4" and not aware of his nick name.

Somehow Al and I ended up going golfing together in Paradise CA (yes, the one that burnt down). I only really remember 3 things about that day. One, it was early and lots of dew on the greens. I had about a 50 foot putt from the fringe. The dew made a rooster tail a couple feet in the air and was probably still about a foot high when it hit the pin and went in. It was amazing to watch that rooster tail scream across the green then disappear when it hit the pin. I'm sure my description does not do it justice.

Two, we had just putted out and the greenskeeper and his dog was moving the hole on the green we just left. As we were teeing off we hear the crack of a well struck shot. The greenskeeper looked up from changing the hole to see a ball in the air. He then looked at his dog sitting nearby, looked at the ball and let out a "Here boy!". The dog jumped up and ran to him just as the ball landed in the spot the dog was sitting in.

Three, standing on an elevated tee waiting for folks to clear the fairway Al insisted I should hit because there was no way I could reach. By the time I had teed up and hit they were in their cart and moving. I have to admit I gave it a little extra and really caught it. My ball landed about 5 feet behind where their cart had just left. Al was impressed but it probably wasn't much over 200 yards.

Driver: Titleist 910 D2 9.75* Diamana Kai'li 65 Mid S 3W: Titleist 910F 16.5 * Diamana Kai'li 75 Mid R 3H: Titleist 910H 19 * Diamana Kai'li 80HYB Mid R 2I: TourModel III True Temper S 3-PW: Mizuno MP 60 True Temper Dynamic Gold S300 S SW: TourModel III True Temper S Putter: Cobra Anvil 005 Ball: Ksig 3 piece

> @tatertot said:

> > @bub72ck said:

> > Played in a scramble fundraiser a few years ago in association with the long drive tour. They had a long drive competitor on every tee. Our group made the decision to go ahead and put a drive or two in the fairway and relieve some pressure on the long hitters to keep one in play. We saw some incredible drives that day. Several well over 400 yards. The longest was a downhill Par-5 and the guy hit one 471 yards.

>

> Just imagine what GolfWRX tournament would look like? 471 would be safe 3-wood fairway finders.

My first thought was 471 yards is a short par 3.

> @greenj20 said:

> Can you imagine the backup if the GolfWRX tourny had a 2nd hole that had a 200yd carry off the tee? Dudes would be pulling 7i to play it safe... :|

Take a Mulligan on that one

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind