2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Minimalist Bag For The Win

MrBerto327

> @AutomaticTwoDown said:

> “Same way I don't click on the "I wish I could carry 15 or 16 clubs" threads.”

>

> Read any one of those threads. A minimalist always jumps in and says “7 clubs is just fine for me”.

Fair point. I’ve probably done it myself at some point if I had to guess, so yeah....glass houses, stones, whatnot. Point taken. Some of us play golf in different ways and I suppose we’ll never all agree all the time. But hey, if you play what makes you happy it’s all good by me. I play 8 or 9....if you play 15 or 16 that’s cool by me as long as you’re having fun.

Titleist 913 D3 / Titleist TSi2 15 / Titleist TS2 19h / Miura CB57 4/6/8/P / Miura 55C / Byron DH89 / Mackenzie

> @rt_charger said:

> By all means, play fewer if it' more convenient for you (carry bag, less effort , practice round , etc). ****, I'd have a practice round with just a 7 iron. Just don't go thinking it makes you play better in a proper round.

> @JJK947 said:

>

> That being said, I've yet to see anyone compete in anything worth my time with less than 13 or 14 clubs in the bag. To suggest that a minimalist set up is somehow an alternative, yet legitimate, avenue to serious amateur competitive golf is just silly. It's kind of like the people on here telling 20 handicaps to "go try blades, you might shoot lower scores." Yeah, it's misinformed and silly, but who cares. This is a message board, it's full of misinformation, unfortunately.

I've played the Canadian Am and the Canadian Mid-am (and all the qualifiers leading up to these events) with 10 clubs the last 2 years. It costs me maybe a stroke over 4 days, but I do it because its more fun for me.

Driver: 10.5* Taylormade Stealth GD Tour AD IZ 75x 
3 Iron: Titleist 712u Tour Issue S400
Irons: 4-PW 620 MB Nippon 125x
Wedges: SM9 50.08F 54.10S 58.08M S400
Putter: Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 Mid Slant

> @rt_charger said:

> > @badgermat said:

> > > @rt_charger said:

> >

> > > By all means, play fewer if it' more convenient for you (carry bag, less effort , practice round , etc). ****, I'd have a practice round with just a 7 iron. Just don't go thinking it makes you play better in a proper round.

> >

> > What's a "proper" round?

> >

> > bm

>

> A serious round, in competition or one that counts to your handicap.

I don't maintain a handicap and don't compete terribly often. I play golf for the personal challenge and because I enjoy the process. Guess I'm not a "proper" golfer. Useful to know.

bm

> @badgermat said:

> > @rt_charger said:

> > > @badgermat said:

> > > > @rt_charger said:

> > >

> > > > By all means, play fewer if it' more convenient for you (carry bag, less effort , practice round , etc). ****, I'd have a practice round with just a 7 iron. Just don't go thinking it makes you play better in a proper round.

> > >

> > > What's a "proper" round?

> > >

> > > bm

> >

> > A serious round, in competition or one that counts to your handicap.

>

> I don't maintain a handicap and don't compete terribly often. I play golf for the personal challenge and because I enjoy the process. Guess I'm not a "proper" golfer. Useful to know.

>

> bm

>

Lol I never said you weren't a proper golfer, don't put words in my mouth. What I mean by a proper round is playing the game for greater than just playing for fun - trying to win something; golf is a sport after all.

I have zero complaints of you playing for fun with less clubs, if people had read my posts in previous threads on mimalism you would understand my point.

> @rt_charger said:

>

> Lol I never said you weren't a proper golfer, don't put words in my mouth. What I mean by a proper round is playing the game for greater than just playing for fun - trying to win something; golf is a sport after all.

>

> I have zero complaints of you playing for fun with less clubs, if people had read my posts in previous threads on mimalism you would understand my point.

I've shot 100's of tournament rounds in the 60's and won plenty of events with 10 clubs.

Driver: 10.5* Taylormade Stealth GD Tour AD IZ 75x 
3 Iron: Titleist 712u Tour Issue S400
Irons: 4-PW 620 MB Nippon 125x
Wedges: SM9 50.08F 54.10S 58.08M S400
Putter: Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 Mid Slant

> @golfpunk59 said:

> > @rt_charger said:

>

> >

> > Lol I never said you weren't a proper golfer, don't put words in my mouth. What I mean by a proper round is playing the game for greater than just playing for fun - trying to win something; golf is a sport after all.

> >

> > I have zero complaints of you playing for fun with less clubs, if people had read my posts in previous threads on mimalism you would understand my point.

>

>

> I've shot 100's of tournament rounds in the 60's and won plenty of events with 10 clubs.

>

>

>

>

Putting it out there, not saying it can't be done, but your being a good player is not correlative to your playing 10 clubs. You're really good, and you would be with any number.

Out of interest, what haven't you got in your bag? Sure you might not lose many shots by playing fewer, but there is the potential to gain some. As a sub scratch golfer, you may have some opportunities to put the ball 3-5 foot from the hole as opposed to 6+ if you had some more variety of shots (possible shots with different types of clubs that is).

Don't get me wrong, I'm not telling someone who's much better at the game than me what they should play, but I'm just genuinely curious as to why a clearly elite level golfer wants to handicap themselves.

Toying with the idea:

F9 driver

TS3 16.5*

TS2 21*

G410 25* 9 wood

G410 29* 6 hybrid

My New Level 8i and PW

My Glide 54*

Either one of my putters

I don't think I could pair it down much more than this as I do think driver is necessary on a lot of holes where I play and I do hit it pretty well.

Taylormade R510TP - Speeder 757 Sonartec NP-99 14* and 17* - NV Green 85 Nickent Genex 3DX 21* - Dynamic Gold SL Titleist 660 4-P - Dynamic Gold Cleveland 54* and 59* - Dynamic Gold Scotty Cameron Teryllium

Need the OP to have a chat with my son who is a high school golfer: "Dad I need a new _____" after every round !!!!

Ben Hogan GS53 9* with UST Helium stiff  & Ben Hogan GS53 16* with UST Helium stiff

Titleist 816 H2 21* with stiff flex Diamana S+ Blue 70  

Ping G400 irons 5-AW with steel AWT shafts

Callaway MD4 Wide sole wedges 54* & 58*

Seemore Nashville One Studio Series

Been minimalist since I rejoined my club over 3 years ago, scores are the same but I just enjoy the game alot more. Played today in the rain for 77 gross nett 72...i plot my way round the course as I'm not a long hitter. Driver, 5 wood, 24 hybrid, 6,8,pw,sw & putter works fine to me and covers most bases.

> @slide13 said:

> > @rt_charger said:

> > Enough of all the minimalist threads omg lol.

> >

> > I've said this on every thread regarding this - fewer clubs does not make you play better golf. It's like saying that I'm a better tradesman because I carry less tools.

> >

> > If you play one course, know what clubs you hit and don't hit, take out the ones you don't and score better: guess what, you've just had a better round, unrelated to what clubs you had in the bag - if extra clubs in the bag is making you question your decisions and play worse, you've got issues.

> >

> > I carry 14, I stand over my ball and I'll know 100% what type of shot is required and what club I can do it with, no decision making problems there.

> >

> > At work, I carry a leatherman on me, it gets me through the majority of things I need a tool for. No way am I subbing out a quality, specialized tool for my leatherman when the task requires it, that's just lunacy.

> >

> > By all means, play fewer if it' more convenient for you (carry bag, less effort , practice round , etc). ****, I'd have a practice round with just a 7 iron. Just don't go thinking it makes you play better in a proper round.

>

>

> That's like, your opinion man.

>

> I mean seriously, some of us like to play minimalist golf and some of us have even found some benefits to it. Don't see how or why you think you're qualified to comment on the impact it has on someone else's game. It's not your thing, that's cool, 99% of threads here aren't about minimalist golf so I'd suggest frequenting those. Because in the minimalist golf threads we're going to talk about minimalist golf. It's not for everyone and if you don't like it you can pretty easily avoid it by not clicking on those threads. Same way I don't click on the "I wish I could carry 15 or 16 clubs" threads.

>

> I don't play competitive golf, don't think I've read much about competitive golf in the minimalist threads (maybe one or two tournament players have chimed in). I play golf the way that gives me the most enjoyment because that is the only reason I play :)

I play competive golf twice a week but I just want to carry and enjoy myself, that's it. Why above is so angry is beyond me, just accept golfers play golf in varying ways. In the end its a game and if I enjoy my gane more with 8 clubs then that's my decision but I wouldn't dream of having a go at my playing partner and friends for gaming full 14 clubs. In the end golf is meant to be fun, enjoy whatever suits you

> @scruffynick said:

> I play competive golf twice a week but I just want to carry and enjoy myself, that's it. Why above is so angry is beyond me, just accept golfers play golf in varying ways. In the end its a game and if I enjoy my gane more with 8 clubs then that's my decision but I wouldn't dream of having a go at my playing partner and friends for gaming full 14 clubs. In the end golf is meant to be fun, enjoy whatever suits you

Ok, for the last time, I'm not having a go at people playing fewer clubs, I'm not angry thinking there's only one way to play, what's annoying me is when people aren't reading what I said.

I'm arguing playing minimalist golf doesn't make you play better or improve your scores. For everyone who says their scores aren't worse, well that's understandable - how often do you use all 14 clubs in one round. People will not carry the clubs they don't often hit and go look! I can carry less clubs and my scores don't change.

I would ask people to please read before questioning my anger or annoyance.

> @rt_charger said:

> > @badgermat said:

> > > @rt_charger said:

> > > > @badgermat said:

> > > > > @rt_charger said:

> > > >

> > > > > By all means, play fewer if it' more convenient for you (carry bag, less effort , practice round , etc). ****, I'd have a practice round with just a 7 iron. Just don't go thinking it makes you play better in a proper round.

> > > >

> > > > What's a "proper" round?

> > > >

> > > > bm

> > >

> > > A serious round, in competition or one that counts to your handicap.

> >

> > I don't maintain a handicap and don't compete terribly often. I play golf for the personal challenge and because I enjoy the process. Guess I'm not a "proper" golfer. Useful to know.

> >

> > bm

> >

>

> Lol I never said you weren't a proper golfer, don't put words in my mouth. What I mean by a proper round is playing the game for greater than just playing for fun - trying to win something; golf is a sport after all.

>

> I have zero complaints of you playing for fun with less clubs, if people had read my posts in previous threads on mimalism you would understand my point.

Haha ... no stress. It was the idea that there's only one way to play "proper" golf that rankled.

Yes, golf is a sport. And you're right, if winning is your objective you should use all the tools at your disposal.

bm