2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

2021 Lefty Bag- The putter is filth

Currently I am actually using the Palombi that I don't show in that post, but further up the page you will see it

I have been using a Tour Spider for a few months now, but I do love a blade!

Taylormade Sim2/ Ventus Blue 
Taylormade Sim2 Ti/ Tour DI
Titleist 818H2/ Tour AD
Mizuno MP20 HMB 4 Iron
Wilson Staff Model 5-PW
Titleist Vokey SM8 50, 54, 58
Bettinardi BB0 Tour Hive/ Stability Tour Black Edition
Full bag here

Love the look of that lajosi, is that solid copper?

It’s not actually, it’s just stainless steel with some kind of Kari magic! I believe he just plates it? Could be wrong!

Titleist 818H2/ Tour AD
Mizuno MP20 HMB 4 Iron
Wilson Staff Model 5-PW
Full bag here

• 4 weeks later...

Great looking bag. Love the mixture of headcovers.

Driver: Cobra Aerojet
5W: Ping G430
3H & 4H: Ping G410
5H:  Ping G
6 - GW: Ping G25

54*: Ping Glide 4.0
58*: Cleveland RTX Zipcore Full Bounce
Putter: Odyssey Tri Hot Double Wide CH Putter

Grips:  Golf Pride MCC Plus 4

Ball:  Titleist ProV1, Maxfli Tour, Taylormade TP5, PXG

Great looking bag. Love the mixture of headcovers.

Thanks! Was going to change a few of them out, but let’s see what 2019 brings!

Titleist 818H2/ Tour AD
Mizuno MP20 HMB 4 Iron
Wilson Staff Model 5-PW
Full bag here

How do you like that Jones bag? Its the Utility Trouper?

Yeah that’s the one, that was the first round with it, but so far so good! Loads better than my Hoofer!

Titleist 818H2/ Tour AD
Mizuno MP20 HMB 4 Iron
Wilson Staff Model 5-PW
Full bag here

The Spider Tour is 100% in trouble now this has turned up!

5f1fca2a29b120185f32a52642475613.jpg

a9f023c93b5157e31fae6eb01757c2bf.jpg

b780bbae4da61d36ab1710b364ee1f32.jpg

Titleist 818H2/ Tour AD
Mizuno MP20 HMB 4 Iron
Wilson Staff Model 5-PW
Full bag here

• 4 months later...

Updates on the first post, but lots to talk about!

Here are the new clubs

Cobra F9

Mizuno CLK

Ping G400

Taylormade Spider X

sr3033mbprms.jpg

Titleist 818H2/ Tour AD
Mizuno MP20 HMB 4 Iron
Wilson Staff Model 5-PW
Full bag here

• 1 month later...

Well, some more changes have been brought in! The Rogue has now gone and replaced with the new Epic Flash Sub Zero, which has been a big improvement, so much better off the deck than the Rogue.

Other change has been taking the Mizuno CLK out of the bag and swapping in a Taylormade M3 5 wood. I can hit this higher and about the same difference, also a lot more forgiving on the miss-hits compared to the Mizuno.

Will also post up some pictures of my backup bags soon, I have been collecting some 'classics' recently, and this week I picked up (in my eyes) the greatest irons to be made

Titleist 818H2/ Tour AD
Mizuno MP20 HMB 4 Iron
Wilson Staff Model 5-PW
Full bag here

• 2 weeks later...

> @GaiusMarius said:

> How are those Cobra wedges treating you? I'm considering them.

They ended up going I am afraid! I did like them actually but for some reason the set I had just wore out extremely quickly, like 4 months of use and no spin what so ever, very odd!

Titleist 818H2/ Tour AD
Mizuno MP20 HMB 4 Iron
Wilson Staff Model 5-PW
Full bag here

> @i10k said:

> Nice looking bag! I have the same Srixon 565/765 combo set as you, and LOVE them. How do you find the RTX4 wedges? I'm considering replacing my old Mizunos, and yours look sharp alongside the Srixons!

> (It's nice too to see a lefty's bag - not many of us around in the UK)

Hi, bud!

Yeah, I do love the Srixons, but I am starting to get to the stage where I am finding the 565 clubs too chunky, and I wish I just got 765 all the way through. But I might be changing irons soon anyway, so let's wait and see!

RTX-4 have been the biggest upgrade in my bag by miles, I absolutely love them! To be fair, I have always been a big Cleveland wedge fan, I don't think you can really go wrong with Cleveland wedges, but the RTX-4 are really nice. I play a fair bit so the black finish is coming off the sole now, but they do still look great.

Titleist 818H2/ Tour AD
Mizuno MP20 HMB 4 Iron
Wilson Staff Model 5-PW
Full bag here

Ok so a few more changes to the bag

Cobra F9 driver

Cally Epic Flash SZ three wood

TM M3 five wood

Ping G400 four hybrid

Cally Apex MB 5-PW

Cleveland RTX4 50, 54, 60

TM Spider X Copper

39w6e4tfpl4d.jpg

basoyyvtzxnr.jpg

Titleist 818H2/ Tour AD
Mizuno MP20 HMB 4 Iron
Wilson Staff Model 5-PW
Full bag here

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Maybe it's just good timing, but since I changed the bag up a bit, and put in the Apex MB, I am now shooting the best golf I have played ever! Not a bad looking bag either really!

9b07arhbae5z.jpg

Titleist 818H2/ Tour AD
Mizuno MP20 HMB 4 Iron
Wilson Staff Model 5-PW
Full bag here

> @b_teet said:

> Fellow left here. Super clean irons going from the Srixons to Apex MBs. great bag!

Thanks bro! Loving the Apex, they perform so well

Titleist 818H2/ Tour AD
Mizuno MP20 HMB 4 Iron
Wilson Staff Model 5-PW
Full bag here

• 8 months later...

So I have used this lockdown period here in the UK to overhaul the bag. I went for a custom fit literally two days before we got locked up (great timing!) and found quite a lot of improvement from some changes. Hopefully at some point this week all the clubs will arrive, but literally when I say overhaul, I mean overhaul. The only club to survive is a club that I haven't even shown in here yet! Driver, fairway, irons, wedges and putter have all changed! More updates shortly, when everything arrives!

Titleist 818H2/ Tour AD
Mizuno MP20 HMB 4 Iron
Wilson Staff Model 5-PW
Full bag here

• 4 weeks later...

So as teased...

I decided to use the lockdown to sort the bag out. The week before lockdown was enforced here in the UK I was actually booked in for a full bag fit, which was perfect timing!

I have recently improved a lot, being a pretty steady 5 handicapper, and I know it sounds weird but I honestly believe a lot of that was to do with changing back to blades for the first time in ages.IRON CHANGE

I did love my Callaway Apex MB, but to be fair they weren't fit for me (I got offered a silly deal to buy them off a friend) but they did show me what was possible at least.

On my fit I managed to hit all the current blade offerings in lefty, but really for me they all performed very much the same. The Blueprints were lovely, but with the same shaft in each club, they all were within a yard or two of each other on a correct strike. One thing I did know though was that I didnt have the right shaft in those Apex MB that I had- For some reason they came out low and but with a lot of spin, it was a weird combo really. I was finding spinning the ball off greens quite annoying after really hitting a decent shot. I do get steep on the ball and my attack angle wasn't ideal (something I am working on). So after some warm up I found the the KBS Tour shaft perfect for me. It worked so well, ball flight went up and spin was a lot more consistent.

So then it was a shoot out between;

Mizuno MP20

Titleist 620MB

Ping Blueprint

Wilson Staff Model

And I can happily announce that I went with the Wilson Staff Model :)

What a set of irons those guys have released! If you haven't hit these yet, then I urge you to go and try them! The one set I couldn't get on with though (which really surprised me) were the Mizuno MP20! I just didn't like the way they say behind the ball? It was weird, because in my head I wanted them to do well! The Ping Blueprints were lovely, but I have to say the cost got in the way for me! The Wilson were so much cheaper and performed almost identically. The Titleist came second for me, those were lovely! But the Wilsons! My god I just had to have them! The looks are perfect, the performance was bang on! And when he told me that actually they were quite a bit less in price compared to the Titleist and Ping, it was a no brainer!

So, Wilson Staff Model 5-PW with KBS Tour are in the bag!

I have a Mizuno MP20 HMB 4 iron (contradiction to the above I know! But this is a brilliant club!) just for that extra forgiveness but also it hits a perfect distance for me. This has been a great addition to the bag for me actually, really top club, lovely flight, easy to hit and can be mega long if I need it to be. Again this has a KBS Tour shaft in it as well.

But, I didn't stop with just the irons! Every club has changed!

6fa850ab-f02d-453f-b744-46edf1f5ded3-jpg.jpgDRIVER CHANGE

The Cobra F9, I think, has to go down as one of the best drivers released ever. I honestly look at that club and look at its performance and think jesus, how did they do that for the money! BUT, I did find it a tad unforgiving at times, I tend to strike up on it, and I found the shallower face a bit of a problem sometimes?

On my fitting, really I found quite quickly that it was out of the Sim or the Mavrik for me. The new Speedzone wasn't for me, nor the Titleist TS2 or 3. I ended up going with the Mavrik (not sub zero) as I just found it a smidge more reliable? The numbers were just more consistent for me, with the HZRDUS Smoke shaft it just worked. Granted, my longest drives were with the SIM, but I found the SIM quite hooky?? Which for me is very rare as my miss is to the left! The Sub Zero Mav just didn't spin enough for me really (low 1800RPM pretty much all the time) whereas the standard head I was in the 2500RPM numbers all the time.

Since I put it in the bag, and used it on course, I have realised just how long the Mav is. It is heads and shoulders longer than the F9 for sure, plus more forgiving.

It is still my weakest club in the bag, I am not really a driver kinda guy, so I need to work on that, but it is a great driver

I may try a shorter shaft in the Mav soon, see how I get on with that.

But currently the driver setup is Callaway Mavrik 10.5 degrees with HZRDUS Smoke shaft

6041c4fd-eaae-427c-a8fa-21c2a4fa6a9a-jpg.jpgFAIRWAY CHANGE

I only carry one fairway wood, it tends to be a strong 3 wood, so I have a back up when the driver isn't working.

The Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero has been a pretty steady performing club for me for quite some time, but I did have one problem with it and that was off the deck or in slightly thicker rough. I put it down to the thicker top to bottom head size, I just found it quite a deep face really? Off the tee though, its a monster, a true monster! But I knew I needed something a bit easier to hit off deck to improve my bag.

At the fit, this was actually the toughest club for me to pick. There were tons of good options out there! I hit Sim, Sim Titanium, TS3, TS2, Speedzone, Mavrik

They all were good, but again I found things like the Mavrik just too deep really. But one thing that did stand out is how much longer this current gen of fairways are versus my last year Epic Flash Sub! The Sim Titanium is just silly long! I actually hit the 5 wood head in it, and was knocking it past my Epic Flash by quite some way!

But again, I had to put my long term head on, thinking more about overall performance and not just distance. And there was one standout performer here, the Cobra Speedzone. So easy to hit off tee or deck (those rails really work!) and still long! Was keeping up pace with the Epic flash for sure, but just a lot easier to hit!

So the fairway wood is a Cobra Speedzone 14.5 degrees with the Tensi Blue shaft.

fed87dd4-7548-42e5-bdb0-8ca68374fc17-jpg.jpgUTILITY CHANGE

This was a simple change, the GAPR LO is just a beast, I love it, 18 degree with the stock KBS shaft and you have yourself an animal! I might look at trying to add a 5 wood to the line up, just for when its not windy, but the GAPR is not going anywhere

d7c942f0-b9e2-4598-a745-03d66ac8d61a-jpg.jpgWEDGE CHANGE

I did enjoy the RTX4, but the time had come to move on, and to be fair all of the ones I tried could have made the bag.

Vokeys, Mizuno, Callys, Taylormades, they all worked for me. I found spin to be a little low on the Mizuno, so ruled them out. The MD5 probably span too much really, and I play on soft greens, so those were ruled out. The Vokeys were lovely, but for some reason I kept gravitating to the Taylormade MG2! The rust on the face (being a raw lover!) just looked awesome, and having previously owned some RAC wedges back in the day, I decided to give them a whirl for this year! Plus everyone has Vokeys!

So the wedges are the Taylormade MG2 in 50, 54 and 60 degrees.

4da52044-25e5-430d-8526-a0a424ddf944-jpg.jpgPUTTER CHANGE

Now this was the biggest eye opener! The Spider X had been in my bad books for a few weeks before this fitting. I don't really know what it was, but I just wasn't getting on with it at all.

So I went on a SAM putt lab fitting, and it was quite clear to see that my stroke and eyes just didn't suit mallet putters like that (I also had a Toulon Indianapolis at this point as well)

I already know that I felt very confident over a traditional 009, dalehead style putter, but I have never really seen the best results in my round when using one. It turns out that was mainly because I had too much loft on my putter plus I always went with a 35 inch long putter when 34 inches suits me the best.

After this I spent a long time trying to find the best option for me (being a putter collector, I had certain brands in mind!) so the LaJosi went back in the bag for the moment. UNTIL this beauty turned up!

So the putter thats currently in the bag is a lovely Byron Morgan DH89, with the LaJosi in rotation too.

bd4d22e3-fbd6-4a28-88ca-2f7d9db2663e-jpg.jpg

590ff0af-f845-4c36-beb9-7c7ac138c183-jpg.jpg

60b39e27-122a-456f-8071-6c9d1d93b1e2-jpg.jpg

CONCLUSION

After all this, I have never been so happy with my bag. Don't get me wrong I probably will change bits over the coming months (don't we all!) but I look at this bag and just feel confident! For the first time ever really! I have tools that work for my game!

I added the Titleist bag as well, because, well look at it! And upgraded my electric trolley to the new Powakaddy CT6 (brilliant trolley!)

I also changed my ball from the Callaway Chrome Soft to the Srixon Z Star (great ball, so much better in the wind)

My aims are to get to 4 handicap this year, and just become a lot more consistent with driver!

I do have something else coming, which I will post up when it arrives hopefully next week ;)

I hope you all enjoy!

Any questions then just let me know!

c2aea0af-2e27-4fcf-bd11-2ede9dd3f320-jpg.jpg

Titleist 818H2/ Tour AD
Mizuno MP20 HMB 4 Iron
Wilson Staff Model 5-PW
Full bag here

nice bag! I have issues too. Haha

How is this for an upgrade: 2018-

no three wood and two drivers (mizuno was a new purchase. Everything else was 8 plus years old).

tm burner driver

mizuno st180 driver

07 callaway xforged

callaway x forged sand wedge

cleveland 588 forged lob wedge

rife 2 bar putter

51d06cbd-6b87-4e94-b18d-f66d705f4d4c.jpegabout 2 months ago (before lockdown):

st190 driver

915f 3 wood

gapr lo 3 hybrid

4-pw jpx 900tour

rtx 4 wedges + 588 forged lob wedge

betti ss #3 cb

12b8fbd3-a940-4324-9334-c61004320a3b.jpegPresent day:

21a6b57e-0030-4f36-ba68-e39402626995.jpegclk hybrid

620 cbs

4 iron not pictured but is t100

betti wedges

ugghh lets hope this sticks!

I don't feel them being any firmer than the rtx4 I had? Nor the SM8 that I hit either i wouldn't have said? Maybe those were a tiny bit softer but not by much. I would say so far these have impressed me the most out of all the changes I've made

• Like 1

Titleist 818H2/ Tour AD
Mizuno MP20 HMB 4 Iron
Wilson Staff Model 5-PW
Full bag here

• 2 weeks later...

New shoes for the season- been wearing them the last few weeks and they are brilliant! Just don't trust spikeless enough unless its just a social friday afternoon round or something, especially here in the UK with the rain we have!

2064784b-92ec-489a-9557-af7b8e051cce-2-jpg.jpg

Titleist 818H2/ Tour AD
Mizuno MP20 HMB 4 Iron
Wilson Staff Model 5-PW
Full bag here

Thanks man! I am not sure what I fell in love with first, the looks or the performance! But I have to say, I am so much more confident when I have a club in the bag that I truly love looking at?? Sounds weird right!

New putter update incoming!

Titleist 818H2/ Tour AD
Mizuno MP20 HMB 4 Iron
Wilson Staff Model 5-PW
Full bag here

• leftygolferessex changed the title to 2021 Lefty Bag- The putter is filth