2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

used iron set that is NOT Low Spin, High Launch?

pm4610

Any recommendations on a used 1-2 years old that is NOT low spin, high launch, Max distance? I like Callaway Pre-owned, and Ping and Mizuno. I wish I could determine what is is or is not a low spin/high launch/max distance set. By they way, I'm a high handicapper and rarely break 100. Yes I've had plenty of lessons from all different instructors - no more lessons. I just dont have golf DNA. I've been playing with PING I3+ and time for a change regardless.

Thanks,

Paul

Are you looking for a forgiving set? More of a players club profile. Do you like a particular head shape or offset? Max distance is going to be “mostly” on the irons with hot faces...multi material irons and hotter lofts. Typically a players cavity back model with be a mid flight and good distance but more consistent with less hot shots.

Cobra Aero LS 9 Fuji Evo IV 569 X

Honma TR21 15* VIZARD FP7 Stiff

Honma TR21 HY 18* VIZARD UT 7

Honma TR21 HY 21* VIZARD UT 8

Honma TR21X 5-11 VIZARD IBWF 100

HighToe MG3 54* VIZARD IB 120

HighToe MG3 58*/13 VIZARD IB 120

MackMade custom Slide MMT putter                         

I can't break 100. So I'm definitely not in the players club category at all. Offset doesn't me. Wide chunky/clunky soles do annoy me. I 'm willing to sacrifice MAX forgiveness to get something without very wide soles, definitely forgiving. I like the look of player's clubs but really can't play them. I looked at the Callaway Fusion which seemed good for me, but they are hard to find in excellent condition. I thought about the Epic Irons, until I found out they are low spin/high launch. The Ping i200, maybe but it doesn't seem much different than i3+ irons I have now.

Srixon 565/85 is a nice compromise. Wilson C300 could be a great fit too

Cobra Aero LS 9 Fuji Evo IV 569 X

Honma TR21 15* VIZARD FP7 Stiff

Honma TR21 HY 18* VIZARD UT 7

Honma TR21 HY 21* VIZARD UT 8

Honma TR21X 5-11 VIZARD IBWF 100

HighToe MG3 54* VIZARD IB 120

HighToe MG3 58*/13 VIZARD IB 120

MackMade custom Slide MMT putter                         

> @pm4610 said:

> I can't break 100. So I'm definitely not in the players club category at all. Offset doesn't me. Wide chunky/clunky soles do annoy me. I 'm willing to sacrifice MAX forgiveness to get something without very wide soles, definitely forgiving. I like the look of player's clubs but really can't play them. I looked at the Callaway Fusion which seemed good for me, but they are hard to find in excellent condition. I thought about the Epic Irons, until I found out they are low spin/high launch. The Ping i200, maybe but it doesn't seem much different than i3+ irons I have now.

Mizuno MPH4/H5, Titleist AP1, Taylormade M2/M4, Wilson C300 Forged, Srixon 545/65/85, Ping GMax (probably the best SGI of all time), Callaway XR. Don't worry about "low spin/high launch". Clubs can be bent to whatever spec needed so you could easily play a set of Mizuno 900 Hot Metal or Callaway Big Bertha or Cobra King Oversize. If you shoot ~100, a wide soled, cup face, high launching iron is going to be your friend more often than not compared to a smaller soled, mid launching CB with little forgiveness when you need it most. Don't get dragged into the "play a hard to hit club as you'll be better later" sentiment. Should you play the same irons as Shane Lowry who just won the Open as someone suggested with the Srixon 785? Absolutely-freaking-not.

Play what your handicap needs and work out the swing kinks with them. If you absolutely must play something small with some offset help then I guess you're looking at New Level 1031, Mizuno Hot Metal Pro, Taylormade M3/M5, Ping i20/i25/iE1/i200/i210, and Callaway Steelhead Pro. However, these really aren't aimed at your handicap level and I would strongly suggest something easier to hit.

• Like 1

Taylormade R510TP - Speeder 757 Sonartec NP-99 14* and 17* - NV Green 85 Nickent Genex 3DX 21* - Dynamic Gold SL Titleist 660 4-P - Dynamic Gold Cleveland 54* and 59* - Dynamic Gold Scotty Cameron Teryllium

Ping i210 really sound like the ticket, however, you may be able to get along well enough with Mizuno JPX 900 or 919 Forged or the Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro. Barring any of those, Titleist AP1 or AP3 may be worth a look as well.

Titleist TS4 8.5* Diamana D+ LTD 70 X
Titleist 917F2 18* (turned down to 17.25*) Diamana S+ 80X
4 - 718 Titleist AP3 Project X 6.0
4-P 718 Titleist AP2 Project X 6.0
White Satin Mizuno MP T7 51-08 Modus 3 105X
Blue Ion Mizuno MP T7 55-09 Modus 3 105X Soft Stepped
Blue Ion Mizuno MP T7 59-09 Modus 3 105X Soft Stepped
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Fastback 1

@phatchrisrules However, these really aren't aimed at your handicap level and I would strongly suggest something easier to hit.

i believe my misses are my misses and ain't no club gonna save me from those. I have really good shots and then really bad shots. Cant' string the good shots together, but I can string the bad shots together just fine :-( I just can't bare to look at those super game improvement clubs chunky and clunky. I can't handle blades so some sort of compromise...even basic game improve would be okay. and of course I want graphite shafts.

@jplroper Do you think you are hitting the ball to high/ballooning? You didn't say what you are hitting for a ball, but if it's a high spin ball maybe try using one thats lower spin before you change irons to fix a problem. Then if the ball makes a big change, you will have more irons to look at.

I play a spinner ball than I probably should. but I like spin, it gives my ball a high "traj", but what you suggested is worth a try.

> @pm4610 said:

> @jplroper Do you think you are hitting the ball to high/ballooning? You didn't say what you are hitting for a ball, but if it's a high spin ball maybe try using one thats lower spin before you change irons to fix a problem. Then if the ball makes a big change, you will have more irons to look at.

> I play a spinner ball than I probably should. but I like spin, it gives my ball a high "traj", but what you suggested is worth a try.

I'm a bit confused, your looking for high spin and low launch? Then you say you are playing a ball that is relatively high spin? Personally I would go with an easy to hit iron, choose the amount of offset you want and sole thickness get an appropriate shaft and play a "cheap" golf ball that was lower spin. When a Pinnacle goes swimming its not as big a loss as a ProV1.

Bridgestone J38/40 DPC

Ping G430 10k 9*  Ventus Velocore blue 6x

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

PXG 0211  4i KBS C Taper Lite 115x ss1x

Srixon zx7 mkii 5-7, Z forged ii 8-P KBS C Taper Lite 

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Scotty Cameron NP2 Studio Stainless  34"

> @Laznasty said:

> Taylormade p750's.

> Mizuno 919 hot metal pro.

> Callaway x-forged or apex pro.

> ping i210 or i500

> Titleist AP2

I tried the i500s a few months ago. They ballooned and went nuclear (flew an extra 15-20 yards for seemingly no reason) a few times.The i210s are a little lower launch and more consistent on distance, IMO. AP2s are also a great option.

Driver: PING G425 7.5*; X-stiff HZRDUS BLACK 75g

Driving Iron: TITLEIST U505 1i; X-stiff HZRDUS Smoke RDX 90g 

Irons: PING i210 3-4, PING BLUEPRINT 5-W; Dynamic Gold X7

Wedges: CLEVELAND RTX4 50, 54, 58; S400

Putter: ODYSSEY WHITE HOT #7 OG

Ball: BRIDGESTONE Tour B X

Grip: WINN Dri Tac Midsize

GHIN: Between my ears... (usually between 1-3)

> @RJ_MJ_JJ said:

> > @Laznasty said:

> > Taylormade p750's.

> > Mizuno 919 hot metal pro.

> > Callaway x-forged or apex pro.

> > ping i210 or i500

> > Titleist AP2

>

> I tried the i500s a few months ago. They ballooned and went nuclear (flew an extra 15-20 yards for seemingly no reason) a few times.The i210s are a little lower launch and more consistent on distance, IMO. AP2s are also a great option.

This one is kind of a conundrum. If the guy can't break 100 I don't see AP2 doing anything good for him. My rec would be Ping G400. They go high and still spin a bit. My friend plays them and can hold greens no issue. Feel pretty good and the sole is cut away at the back so it has the mass to get the ball up but doesn't play silly wide.

@RJ_MJ_JJ conundrum, agreed. I just want a simple club with graphite shafts. No XXX HOT, Scorchers, etc. Ping G400's still hold their value and are expensive for not being the current model. I once had a set Ping Raptures...when flushed 15-20 extra distance and when not flushed, way short. I have to have a club that can easily hold a green. Also, I don't play on the lushest of courses. I'm in Illinois and mostly hard greens, depends.

> @pm4610 said:

> Any recommendations on a used 1-2 years old that is NOT low spin, high launch, Max distance?...

> I've been playing with PING I3+ and time for a change regardless.

Not sure what you're looking for...

> @pm4610 said:

> @RJ_MJ_JJ conundrum, agreed. I just want a simple club with graphite shafts. No **** HOT, Scorchers, etc. Ping G400's still hold their value and are expensive for not being the current model. ... I have to have a club that can easily hold a green. Also, I don't play on the lushest of courses. ...

Now I have a better idea. Your current irons, the Ping I3+ chart out in the Maltby grid as Game Improvement - not as friendly as the SGI Ping Eye2, but moderately helpful to golfer.

You want a club that will help you hold the greens. But, you evidently have trouble with your swing... "no golf DNA" as you said. The proper SGI club will help you hold the green - within reason. A strike at midball isn't going to land and bite.

Two things can help with stopping, descent and ball: the angle of descent - some high launch, low spin shafts such as NS Pro 8950 got a lot of their stop from coming down at a steep angle. Next is the ball: If you have a distance ball, you generate little backspin.

Main point: clubfitting is all about trade-offs. If you want to create spin on the ball, you need some _centerish_ hits and a ball that's not a rock. And, have you been fitted for clubs? **If the answer is no, you may have a bag of sticks that is totally out of whack with your natural swing tendencies.**

As for iron model, check out BD's idea:

> @balls_deep said:

> This one is kind of a conundrum. If the guy can't break 100 I don't see AP2 doing anything good for him. My rec would be Ping G400. They go high and still spin a bit. My friend plays them and can hold greens no issue.

In summary, get a fitting and get back to us with data info.

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

+1 on the Maltbys. I just put a set of the PTM chrome forged heads on some KBS c-taper 120's that were given to me and they really play. Very forgiving with minimal offset and that great forged feel and look like players irons. You could buy one and give it a try. The heads are only $33 brand new and have a universal hosel. Put it together with your favorite shaft or have Golfworks do it for you with an inexpensive grip. Less than $60/per club. Cheers!

Here's what happened, a friend recommended the Big Bertha Fusion irons. I found a better than average set on eBay for $189 so I took the chance. They are truly awesome! I didn't think clubs would make this much of a difference. They have graphite shafts which I didn't realize would be that much of difference, but they are. I'm in the honeymoon period, so we shall see. I haven't hit the course yet, so not sure if my score will lower but it sure is sweet hitting them on the range. I've come to the realization that the Ping i3+'s I had were really difficult to hit for me anyway. Huge difference for me.

• Like 1

Would second titleist AP1s or AP2s. Both are on the moderate spin side and are definitely not meant for the crazy distance some other irons go for. AP1s might make the most sense, though if you want a set you could grow into you could go for a combo set with long irons in the AP1 and short in the AP2.

Taylormade SIM Max 9*
Titleist 915F 15*
Titleist 816H1 19*
Mizuno MP53 4-P
Vokey SM6 50/55/60*
Scotty Cameron Select Golo