Tour Players playing Titleist AVX?

RyanNoodles

Prediction. In 2019 we will see a player on the PGA Tour or the European PGA Tour win a tournament playing the AVX.

I’ll take that bet as well. Not only will no player win with it there won’t be a player playing with it.

Isn't there a new ProV or 2 on the Conforming Ball List besides the ones that'll be in the shops ?

Suppose one of them is a "pro only" wolf in sheep's clothing,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Things that make you go Hmmmmmm,,,,,,,,,,, :secret:

The only way it would be used is if they made a prototype nothing like it

Huh ?

or rebranded a ProV model by stamping it with “AVX” for a pro to use.

Huh ?

I think, but am not sure, that was (almost) what I suggested - that one of the NON-retail versions (on the LIst) of the about-to-come-out ProV1s actually WAS an "AVX" without the AVX stamping. i.e. virtually the same as an AVX but saying "ProV1" on the side stamp,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

• 3 months later...

There is a total misconception about AVX out there. Lower Spinning than the ProV1 does not mean low spin. Per [Golf Digest Spin Wheel](https://www.golfdigest.com/story/spin-the-wheel-hot-list-ball-spin-chart-shows-how-short-shots-separate-price-categories "Golf Digest Spin Wheel"), only 6 balls of 42 have an equivalent or fractionally higher spin rate on a 50 yd pitch shot. There is also a lot of research out there that most "Tour Caliber" golf balls spin around the same rate (10,000RPMs) on full wedge shots. The same for AVX. The difference is off the tee where it has a lower, more penetrating ball flight due to less spin. This means more distance for all of us less than 110 MPH swing speeds. With that said, AVX is a SOFT golf ball. For those who do not prefer the sound or feel of a soft golf ball, this ball is definitely not for them.

> @whitetiger79 said:

> There is a total misconception about AVX out there. Lower Spinning than the ProV1 does not mean low spin. Per [Golf Digest Spin Wheel](https://www.golfdigest.com/story/spin-the-wheel-hot-list-ball-spin-chart-shows-how-short-shots-separate-price-categories "Golf Digest Spin Wheel"), only 6 balls of 42 have an equivalent or fractionally higher spin rate on a 50 yd pitch shot. There is also a lot of research out there that most "Tour Caliber" golf balls spin around the same rate (10,000RPMs) on full wedge shots. The same for AVX. The difference is off the tee where it has a lower, more penetrating ball flight due to less spin. This means more distance for all of us less than 110 MPH swing speeds. With that said, AVX is a SOFT golf ball. For those who do not prefer the sound or feel of a soft golf ball, this ball is definitely not for them.

That wheel is a little misleading. Since it's a 50 yard shot none of the ball will compress so you'll see more spin. The issue lies in full shots in the 8-PW range. Because the ball is so soft it will compress rather than spin at tour speeds, so it will have issues holding firm greens. I had this issue with bridgestone RX balls when I tried some which are on similar compression.

• 4 months later...

Any updates on this? I don't see why this wouldnt fit some tour player profiles. And from the sounds of it, it was motivated by competitor brands offering something similar and having success with it. (like a lot of Titleist products)

TM Stealth Plus 10.5 Ventus TR Velocore Red 5

Ping G425 Max 5 FW 17.5 Ventus Velocore Red 7

Srixon ZX MKII 3UT MMT 95

Callaway X Forged CB 21' 4-PW Modus 120

Yururi Tataki 52.5, 56.5 and 60.5 DG S200
Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips
Kirkland Performance+ Ball

There was another topic about a Titleist proto ball in which the question of Tour use of the AVX. Greg, WRX’s photographer, spoke with the Titleist rep and was told the AVX has not been played on Tour.

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Ping PLD Ally Blue 4

Titleist Pro V1x

Spin that's useful...in terms of actually helping to control a shot.....really only comes much into play around the green anymore. Otherwise I'm controlling a shot with trajectory for full shots. The game at the highest level has been going in that direction for some time now too. I'm a bit surprised that no tour player is using it, another reason being I Understand it to be Titleist version of TM and Bridgestone balls with the same characteristics that are being used on tour.

Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips

The Patrick Reed ball switch story is interesting, sounds like he was playing it with a different name.

Reminds me of a story about Tom Weiskopf taking balls out of Jacks bag because he was convinced they were different than the balls MacGregor was supplying him with

Cleveland Classic XL Driver
KE4 5 wood 17* 43”
Maltby MXU 23* 
Maltby Tricept TU 5 Iron
Wilson Pi5 6-PW
Wilson JP 55* SW
Ram Watson Troon Grind 58
Ray Cook M2 Mallet

Sure, some tour players test AVX but it's not likely chosen as their tournament ball. I tested it for a month. At first, it got my attention but over time found it wasn't as dependable as ProV1x around the greens, plus I like ProV1x trajectory. Gave them away and went back to trusty ProV1x.

• TSR2 10° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° Talamonti PD80R
  • T200 17' 2i Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 95S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 85S
  • T100 5i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

> @Pepperturbo said:

> Sure, some tour players test AVX but it's not likely chosen as their tournament ball. I tested it for a month. At first, it got my attention but over time found it wasn't as dependable as ProV1x around the greens, plus I like ProV1x trajectory. Gave them away and went back to trusty ProV1x.

Me too except it took me a year and a half instead of a month.

I'm slow but I get there eventually.

How are the trajectories of ProV1x and AVX different?

Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips

> @JD3 said:

> How are the trajectories of ProV1x and AVX different?

For me, the AVX trajectory was much lower than ProV1x

• T100 3i & 4i MMT 85S
  • T100 5i to 9i MMT 105S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

> @Pepperturbo said:

> > @JD3 said:

> > How are the trajectories of ProV1x and AVX different?

>

> For me, the AVX trajectory was much lower than ProV1x

Still steep ascent and decent though (I e drop n stop?) Lower trajectory can still be steep ascent and decent. Hopefully they kept that

Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips

AVX is built to have a "boring" trajectory and to not spin a lot off irons and wedges. Pro V1x is built to have a high trajectory and spin a lot off irons and especially wedges.

If you can hit the ball high and generate enough clubhead speed to get some spin, you can "drop and stop" an AVX pretty well. But Pro V1x will help with both the height and the spin if you don't naturally generate speed and spin.

The good players I know (very few) who like AVX like it because they have more height and spin than they want with a Pro V1x or even Pro V1. The weaker players I know who like AVX like it because it flies flat, lands hot off the driver and gives them a few extra yards with their irons.

I need to try the avx as ive noticed the X is spinning more than usual. Sure around greens it's great but my driver is peaking too high near the end and I could use a flatter trajectory. Rick shiels who overall I think does the best reviews on YouTube found no discernable difference in performance around the greens or off wedges. If true this could be a "dream ball". The missing piece then is why tour pros aren't using it at all apparently

Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips

> @JD3 said:

> > @Pepperturbo said:

> > > @JD3 said:

> > > How are the trajectories of ProV1x and AVX different?

> >

> > For me, the AVX trajectory was much lower than ProV1x

>

> Still steep ascent and decent though (I e drop n stop?) Lower trajectory can still be steep ascent and decent. Hopefully they kept that

I have no issues with ball striking or getting the ball up and controlling my trajectory or distances with irons or woods. AVX is not steep ascent or descent ball like ProV1 line. AVX is by design more of a distance ball that provides low spin and a lower trajectory than either ProV1 or ProV1x but made to look like the other two.

I used it last weekend in benign conditions and it made me work extra hard at getting it up to take advantage of down breeze holes. ProV1x spins more for me and flys just like a distance ball when properly struck, hard. AVX also hasn't performed around the greens like ProV1 or my ProV1x. It has a tendency to run out even more than ProV1 on fast greens. When I put ProV1x back in play I felt confident again hitting into fast greens knowing the ball will check bounce once and stick or spin back 3-5' and only ran out when I set up for that result. I suspect it may replace another ball lower in the line-up.

• T100 3i & 4i MMT 85S
  • T100 5i to 9i MMT 105S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

I went to a course for lunch today and asked the pro who seems to be knowledgeable what he thought. He said for high launch/high spin players it can be a good alternative. Doesn't work for a low launch, low spin player like himself. He also thinks more pros are using regular ProV these days given how spinny the X has gotten. I picked up a sleeve from his shop and putted and chipped after lunch. Maybe it's just me but a) it does feel softer off the putter (which I like), and b) at most an only slight discernable difference in spin on chips and lobs if at all. And again perhaps little less predictability, if at all. I can't wait to try it out on the course over the weekend. I think my drives have been spinning too much this season, and if this works it's better than getting a new head or shaft!

Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips

> @JD3 said:

> I went to a course for lunch today and asked the pro who seems to be knowledgeable what he thought. He said for high launch/high spin players it can be a good alternative. Doesn't work for a low launch, low spin player like himself. He also thinks more pros are using regular ProV these days given how spinny the X has gotten. I picked up a sleeve from his shop and putted and chipped after lunch. Maybe it's just me but a) it does feel softer off the putter (which I like), and b) at most an only slight discernable difference in spin on chips and lobs if at all. And again perhaps little less predictability, if at all. I can't wait to try it out on the course over the weekend. I think my drives have been spinning too much this season, and if this works it's better than getting a new head or shaft!

The only really good player I know that has stuck with AVX is a young fellow who, to put it politely, hasn't yet quite mastered the less-than-110%-full-swing with his irons. He just rears back and swats it. Lots of clubhead speed, very high ball flight, spins like the dickens. He found the AVX really dials back those high-spinning moon balls and actually plays a half-club longer off the irons because they're not upshooting. He loves it.

But that's about it. The other AVX guys I know are short hitters looking for some extra rollout on full shots while remaining controllable around the greens.

Tried them on course today and absolutely love them, oddly enough especially off irons. I dialed back a wedge a good ten feet on one hole where it nearly went in! Oddly enough if there's anywhere I think it's lacking for me at least would be driver. To my eye drives with ProV1x are a little bit farther.....like 5 yards. Too soon to tell but for now looks like I'll stick with AVX for it's all around performance. And if I don't stick with it could be looking for another alternative to the ProV1x. Thing just spins too much now , and the AVX gives me better trajectory off irons.

Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips

> @JD3 said:

> Tried them on course today and absolutely love them, oddly enough especially off irons. I dialed back a wedge a good ten feet on one hole where it nearly went in! Oddly enough if there's anywhere I think it's lacking for me at least would be driver. To my eye drives with ProV1x are a little bit farther.....like 5 yards. Too soon to tell but for now looks like I'll stick with AVX for it's all around performance. And if I don't stick with it could be looking for another alternative to the ProV1x. Thing just spins too much now , and the AVX gives me better trajectory off irons.

Nothing oddly whatsoever in your findings. AVX is awesome with irons but horrible with the driver (not only short - way too soft feel at impact). We are many with the same experience.

Anyrhing "horrible off the driver" is the Indian not the arrow. I just said it may be carrying a little less than the ProV1x. A club coming in at a negative angle of attack, outside in, and closed face will always be a pull hook, for example. If it gets to the point that's not the case the game is essentially all but over.

One thing if I stick with it and find I want a little more elevation and spin with the driver would be a head/shaft combo that with more loft and spin. It's even possible tinkering with weight settings could do the trick. Again though for me with just one round too early to tell.

Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips

Played again today with it and I'm totally sold. No issue with height or spin with any club. I love that wind factors less into club selection. Hit a few drives well enough to make me think I'm not losing distance (as measured by relative distance with guys I've played a lot with). (Hit some poor tee shots too but they're totally on me....having some issues with that club lately. Pro just said on a few shots I'm just crazy fast in transition. Again not ball related). Went with the yellow and drained a couple nice putts for bird too

:smile:

Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips

• 2 weeks later...

> @From_Parts_Unknown said:

> It's going to be very interesting when Titleist releases the EXP ball this October and how it will affect the AVX sales. A Titleist urethane ball for $39.99 per dozen seems too good to be true. I'm sure it won't fit everyone but I bet it appeals to the AVX player the most.

AVX is low spin low launch, this is high launch low spin. It’s not goin go to be $39.99 it’s retailing at the same $47.99 or whatever currently paying for pro v1/x as some places pay more

I played AVX for the first time and was surprised at how low the ball flight was. Definitely worth giving it a try if you are a high ball hitter.

Ping G425 10.5 / Ping G410
Callaway UW 17*
Ping G410 4H
Cobra F7 EL 4i
Ping i200 6-UW / i500 5-PW Power Spec / i210 5-PW
Ping Glide 4.0 54/58
SC Phantom x 9.5