Pro V1 versus Pro V1x

Moonlightgrm

Playing in a two-ball this weekend, there was a Titleist representative on the first tee giving away a 2-pack of Pro V1 or Pro V1x. I’ve played Pro V1 since it’s inception and like the way it performs for me. This guy starts describing the difference between the two balls as we are waiting for the first fairway to clear. I’m uncertain if he knew what he was talking about. He told us that the X was softer and spins more than the regular. What? He said the regular has a flatter ball flight and a firmer feel. I’ve hit the X and it feels firm to me. I suppose if the X spins more it would not have the flatter ball flight he claimed the regular has. What’s your experience with the regular Pro V1 and the Pro V1x? Incidentally, I took a 2-pack of the regular.

Confirming firmer, more spin from the V1x.

To be perfectly honest, I've played the V1x because I like the red number instead of black. (Yeah yeah, buncha weirdos us golfers) and never gave much thought to the actual difference. Then a while back, I booked a tee time on GolfNow for me and some buddies and one of them gave me a pack of V1s before the round in lieu of the buck or whatever GN charges for the booking fee. What can I say, Alex is a generous guy.

Anyway, he'd handed them to me on the first tee so I was like "Guess I'll just put these in play today!" Really felt like I lost some distance - and I was hitting the ball well that round - and the spin difference was extremely noticeable. Like, I'd confidently take the Pepsi Challenge on that one.

Titleist TSR3 10° Ventus Black

Titleist TS2 18° Diamana D+

Titleist TSR2 21° Diamana D+ 

Titleist TSi2 24° Diamana D+

Titleist T100 5-7, 620MB 8-PW Axiom 105S

Vokey 50.8°F, 56.14°F, 60.12°D Axiom 125X

Scotty Cameron Newport MMT Putter Concept

^ im with him. The pro v just does not work for me and never has. The prov1x has always been pretty much perfect for my game including the red number. ?

Cobra Aero LS 9 Fuji Evo IV 569 X

Honma TR21 15* VIZARD FP7 Stiff

Honma TR21 HY 18* VIZARD UT 7

Honma TR21 HY 21* VIZARD UT 8

Honma TR21X 5-11 VIZARD IBWF 100

HighToe MG3 54* VIZARD IB 120

HighToe MG3 58*/13 VIZARD IB 120

MackMade custom Slide MMT putter                         

> @mogc60 said:

> ^ im with him. The pro v just does not work for me and never has. The prov1x has always been pretty much perfect for my game including the red number. ?

I'm with ya. Ever since they came out the ProVx has been one of my favorite balls (but rarely play it due to cost and closeness of opposition balls) and regular ProV has just never really done it for me. Have to admit the red number is also a plus for me, I've never liked black numbers on balls.

What you heard from the rep was correct for spin and trajectory. That’s what matters.

The thing about X being softer seems wrong but feel is highly subjective. He may have just personally felt the X was softer. That’s not a cut and dried thing like spin and flight.

Unaffected by wind, most people will see a bit more distance from their irons due to lower spin. I personally found it to have a really hot and boring flight off the driver which gave me a good bit more runout on landing.

But it does not hold greens as well as a Pro V1x for my approach shot. Pretty big difference for me. Also doesn't do the "low spinner" around the green but that's not a shot I really have.

After a year and a half I went back to Pro V1x. I'd rather give up that occasional big drive that lands hot and rolls a mile in exchange for more predictable stopping power with a 7-iron or 6-iron to a firm green. Also I've played the Pro V1x for so long it's sort of programmed in to my touch around the greens. Reverting back to it after a couple hundred AVX rounds was like getting back with an old friend.

• Like 1

I was a Pro-V-1 player but have recently switched to the AVX. I'm approaching 70 years old and my swing speed is declining. I need more distance off the tee. I've tried some of the balls "recommended" for seniors (Cally Supersoft, Bridgestone B RX, etc). I just don't like how they perform around the green. The AVX doesn't check on pitches and chips like the Pro-V, but I've been able to adjust. Also, it appears to be more durable. I'm fairly straight on my tee shots. However, I do occasionally hit the cart path. Of course there is a scar on the AVX, but it's not bad enough to have to take the ball out of play. Give it a try and see if it works for you.

TXG did a comparison video of the ProV1 vs ProV1X. Their conclusion was that "X" did in fact have less spin and launched a bit higher. Their feedback was that the 2019 ProV1 was designed to have the same soft feel but provide a little more distance. Hence, the numbers are very similar. They are almost the same ball but provide a preference on the feel.

TM 2017 M2 9.5 (set at 7.5 & 4* Open) - Project X HZRDS Black 75g Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 15* - Project X HZRDS Black 75g Callaway Apex UT - 18* KBS C-Taper 130g Srixon Z785 - 4-PW - KBS $-Taper 130g PVD Finish Callaway Mack Daddy 4 - 50/54/60 - KBS Tour V 120x Odyssey O-Works #2

> @"North Butte" said:

> Unaffected by wind, most people will see a bit more distance from their irons due to lower spin. I personally found it to have a really hot and boring flight off the driver which gave me a good bit more runout on landing.

>

> But it does not hold greens as well as a Pro V1x for my approach shot. Pretty big difference for me. Also doesn't do the "low spinner" around the green but that's not a shot I really have.

>

> After a year and a half I went back to Pro V1x. I'd rather give up that occasional big drive that lands hot and rolls a mile in exchange for more predictable stopping power with a 7-iron or 6-iron to a firm green. Also I've played the Pro V1x for so long it's sort of programmed in to my touch around the greens. Reverting back to it after a couple hundred AVX rounds was like getting back with an old friend.

I tried the AVX out the other day. I will say that you are spot on in all aspects of your review. I had similar experiences with ball in relation to the driver, irons, and around the green. I liked the feel of the ball, and I think it will perform very well in the wind. I'll need to learn the ball a little more for greenside work, as I wasn't able to get some pitches as close as I generally would with the V1.

> @Bama_Rich said:

> TXG did a comparison video of the ProV1 vs ProV1X. Their conclusion was that "X" did in fact have less spin and launched a bit higher. Their feedback was that the 2019 ProV1 was designed to have the same soft feel but provide a little more distance. Hence, the numbers are very similar. They are almost the same ball but provide a preference on the feel.

>

Thanks for sharing this. After the changes a couple of years ago I thought that the V1 was now lower spinning than the X. I played the X for a long time before the changes, so maybe I'll have to give it another shot.

I've used the Prov1x for several years and have tried the latest ProV1 and V1x due to the advice that the 2 balls have actually swapped to a degree. However, I still prefer the V1x. I usually test any of the new offerings from the major ball manufacturers but to date I haven't found anything that I get any noticeable overall performance benefits from (including the ProV1x's stable mate).

> @gpleonard said:

> I keep going back to the Pro V1X. Always a comfort factor with that ball. I have tried to like the AVX a lot just can't get enough height with it and lose to much distance. For me the Pro V1X is my ball of choice.

AVX and Pro V1X are on complete opposite ends of spectrum.

9* Titleist TSi3 AD-DI 7X
14.5* Cobra Radspeed D+ 80x
4-48* Titleist T150 w/Project X LZ 6.0
51* Srixon Z785 

56*/60* Taylormade MG2 TW Grind w/ S400 
Odyssey Jailbird Cruiser
Titleist Pro V1x

• 4 months later...

Seems like everyone understands the halls changed at some point, and that the ProV1 is the lower spin, softer feeling ball, while the ProV1X is the firmer higher spin ball.

What nobody has mentioned, although multiple people mentioned the color of the numbers, is that prior to the change, the ProV1 actually had the red numbers, and the ProV1X had black numbers.

just wish I could lock down the time frame on this, as I was shocked when my buddy who owned a golf shop told me of the change.

WITB

Ping G430 Max 9.0 degree Diamana ZF 60 Stiff

Ping G430 Max 3 wood 15 degree Alta CB Black Stiff

Ping G430 Max 5 wood 18 degree Alta CB Black Stiff

Mizuno Pro 243  4 - G Modus 120 Stiff

Titleist Vokey SM9  56-14F, 60-10S

Scotty Cameron Super Select Del Mar

Titleist Pro V1 / Pro V1X

The Pro V1 has always been the black number.

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Ping PLD Ally Blue 4

Titleist Pro V1x

Your buddy is completely wrong. Pro V1 has never been a red number. I think your buddy is maybe thinking this way because the playing characteristics of the balls switched a few years back but the colour of the number has always been black on the Pro V1 and red on the Pro V1x.

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Ping PLD Ally Blue 4

Titleist Pro V1x

I remember the day the Pro V was introduced and the numbers were black. IIRC after about a year or so there were a couple of variants made in small batches and only accessible to pros wanting a firmer cover to mirror the Professional 100 and they were designated with a red number. Shortly thereafter and due to increasing demand for the firmer covered ball the X was introduced and has kept the red lettering ever since.

Take it for what it's worth to you as I'm getting older and half the time can't recall what I had for supper last night.

The answer to better golf is hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

As best I can recall here is my memory of the ProV1's history. The original ProV1 was very short lived as the USGA had issues with it (even though showing on their conforming ball list). The ball had different trajectory and spin characteristics depending if you teed it up with the side stamp north/south or east/west. Titleist quickly came up with a revised ball that removed the "seaming" characteristic as part of a compromise with the USGA. This allowed the original ball to be played without a recall and thus embarrassing Titleist. The side stamp was revised slightly. Titleist then came out with a modified version of the Prov1 called the ProV1 Star (ProV1* side stamp). It was designed to be slightly firmer and spin a bit less as requested by the tour pros. This ultimately led to the start of the ProV1X ball. Several generations later gets us to today. I played basically all the versions of the ProV1 since it replaced the Professional and the over the counter, general-public model always had a black number. This is not to say that some models on the approved list and only available to the pros may have had a red number. I've only seen black V's and red X's however.

• Like 1

I just recently moved from the AVX to the Pro-V-1X. I like the distance of the AVX off the tee, but control around the green was an issue. I also have a couple of Pro-V-1s in my bag and occasionally play them. Aside from the color of the numbers, I've found the "X" flies higher off the driver and irons. The "V-1" seems to act a little better on chips and pitches for me. Other than that I haven't noticed a big difference. Having said that it's Winter here in Charlotte and the fairways are dormant and wet. It's obvious it will be easier to do an on course evaluation once Spring arrives. Also, I'm a senior with a relatively slow swing speed. I feel sure younger players who swing faster probably will see more of a difference between the "X" and the "V-1".