2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Left hand low commitment

C_rad

Went left hand low start of this season after practicing with it for a few months. My putting has become sooo much more consistent since fully committing to LHL on the course. Putts start on line and I seem to hit the sweet spot on a much more consistent basis. I actually use a 10 finger grip with left hand low and make sure the left palm under the thumb is placed on top of my right thumb. Left arm basically hanging straight and right forearm matching angle of putter shaft. I make sure my right armpit and upper arm stays connected to body and take the putter head back with my shoulders and body, and to me it feels like i am pulling the putter head through with my left arm, instead of hitting with my right arm. After a lot of trial and error with different feels this is what works best for me. It was worth the initial awkwardness lol.

Titleist TsR3 10* w/Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6s

Callaway Epic Flash sz 15* /Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 7s

Titleist Tsi2 hybrid 18* /GD Tour AD IZ 85x

Titleist T-100s 4-GW /PX Lz 6.0

Titleist SM9 54-12d, 60-10s /PX Lz 6.0

Bettinardi BBzero

> @rmgatl said:

Most of us have to change grips and or technique eventually...

Just curious what makes you think that? Thanks.

Some really great stuff written here, it's a privilege to be amongst this level of knowledge. Working with LHL golfers I don't think they are hitting the sweetspot "more than conventional", but who knows — I'd love to see data on that. For sure they need to ladder drill as mentioned to really get dialed in, and for sure it's all about that backstroke distance once they do — but just to add to that some great putters, Mickelson included, speak about setting constants when working ladder drills to really isolate the power into that backstroke, especially when working on lag putting. The idea being distance is affected both by backstroke length and by how much energy you put into the stroke — so to really isolate distance purely as a factor of backstroke length he sets a constant for the energy component. (in his case he said that was basically "always firmly and aggressively") His quote is, "You've got to take one of those variables and make it a constant", which is consistent overall with what a lot of other sage putt gurus believe. Less variability = Less margin for error.

It won't let me post the link to Phil's video because I'm new but if you search Youtube for "Odyssey 2 Minute Drill - Lag Putting with Phil Mickelson" you can see him explain it. Cheers. :smile:

> @disco111 said:

> Arnold Palmer was asked, what would the one thing he would change, if he was starting out in golf.............His answer was "I'd putt left hand low"........

>

That was Jim Furyk's dad who asked Arnie and Gary that at a party, and that's why he taught Jim to putt cross handed, i.e. "One time, Mike [Furyk} approached Arnold Palmer and Gary Player at a party and asked each separately what he would change in his career if he could go back and do it over. Both said they would have learned to putt cross-handed. So Mike taught his son to putt cross-handed. That worked pretty well too, and Furyk hasn’t changed it."

> @disco111 said:

> Arnold Palmer was asked, what would the one thing he would change, if he was starting out in golf.............His answer was "I'd putt left hand low"........

>

>

>

> For those that do putt LHL, do you have a slight forward press (like Spieth)?........Do you stand square to your line or slightly open or closed?

I have a forward press like fellows before me. Speith was 5 years old when I started LHL. I stand slightly open on putts and way open on everything else.

I was conventional grip for years and years but switched to LHL last year and stuck with it the entire year. I putted very well and was much better inside 10 feet but I found that my contact wasn't as good and my speed suffered a bit. I ditched the high MOI putter and LHL about a month ago after testing out different grips and putters with some chalk line and gate drills and varying distance "speed" putts. I found that a non-insert putter (NP2) with a conventional grip didn't sacrifice start line much, if at all, and my speed and contact was so much better I switched and have never putted better.

I think for me the best part is being able to use my right hand (dominant) to feel the club more throughout the stroke and that's made my speed better. Hitting the putt with the back of my left hand never felt natural to me.

Titleist TSi3 9* - Tensei Blue 60 TX
Titleist TS2 15* - D+ LTD 70X
Titleist TSi2 21* - Tensei White 80X

Srixon Z785 4i, Miura MC-501 5-PW - X100
SM7 50F, 54S, SM8 58M
Spider Tour

I have gone back and forth, probably too many times. I am now back to conventional with a blade putter. The LHL just doesn't provide me the "feel" that a conventional grip does. I felt like the motion was too mechanical.

Callaway Rogue 10.5* Driver
Callaway Rogue 3 Wood
Callaway Rogue 5 wood
Callaway 4/5 Hybrid
Callaway Apex 6-GW
Callaway Mack Daddy 52/56 Wedge
Scotty Cameron Monterey

> @mmack067 said:

> I was conventional grip for years and years but switched to LHL last year and stuck with it the entire year. I putted very well and was much better inside 10 feet but I found that my contact wasn't as good and my speed suffered a bit. I ditched the high MOI putter and LHL about a month ago after testing out different grips and putters with some chalk line and gate drills and varying distance "speed" putts. I found that a non-insert putter (NP2) with a conventional grip didn't sacrifice start line much, if at all, and my speed and contact was so much better I switched and have never putted better.

>

> I think for me the best part is being able to use my right hand (dominant) to feel the club more throughout the stroke and that's made my speed better. Hitting the putt with the back of my left hand never felt natural to me.

That’s because left hand low isn’t a left hand dominant stroke. If you’re doing it that way you’re doing it wrong. The left hand is just locking it in place. Passive. The push is from the top hand ( right ). It’s more of a square to square push strike than an arc. Try it with your top hand as the leader. Conventional wisdom thinks it’s to cut the right hand out. That’s not true. It’s to throttle the right hand flip back. Not to cut it off.

Before someone chokes on their Cheerios. This is my opinion of course. And it comes from years of experimenting with LHL and a recent trackman incident which showed exactly why the grip bandaids some things.

Two very well recognized teachers stood and told me what I already felt. That you aren’t dragging the putter with left hand. Your pushing it with your right and the left is simply locking it from flipping the putter head past the hands. It’s moving the hinge position in the hands and making it near impossible to break down because of the leverage point change.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I just switched back to conventional. The thing I struggled with was seeing the line and getting aligned properly. I find it's easier with a conventional grip.

I think LHL is good if you struggle with keeping that right hand from popping the ball though.

Cobra King LTD Black

Callaway Epic Flash 3w

Callaway Mavrik 5w

Callaway Mavrik Pro 4h

PING iBlade 5-PW
PING Glide 50°
Titleist Vokey 54° s

Ping Glide 58° es

Bettinardi BB1

LHL is the only way to go for me. i've tried conventional - dabbled for awhile with the claw but...always come back to LHL and a blade style putter for me.

PING G430 LST / 9* (dialed to 10.5*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Dark Speed LS / 3w (dialed to 15.5*) / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

> @bladehunter said:

> > @mmack067 said:

> > I was conventional grip for years and years but switched to LHL last year and stuck with it the entire year. I putted very well and was much better inside 10 feet but I found that my contact wasn't as good and my speed suffered a bit. I ditched the high MOI putter and LHL about a month ago after testing out different grips and putters with some chalk line and gate drills and varying distance "speed" putts. I found that a non-insert putter (NP2) with a conventional grip didn't sacrifice start line much, if at all, and my speed and contact was so much better I switched and have never putted better.

> >

> > I think for me the best part is being able to use my right hand (dominant) to feel the club more throughout the stroke and that's made my speed better. Hitting the putt with the back of my left hand never felt natural to me.

>

> That’s because left hand low isn’t a left hand dominant stroke. If you’re doing it that way you’re doing it wrong. The left hand is just locking it in place. Passive. The push is from the top hand ( right ). It’s more of a square to square push strike than an arc. Try it with your top hand as the leader. Conventional wisdom thinks it’s to cut the right hand out. That’s not true. It’s to throttle the right hand flip back. Not to cut it off.

>

> Before someone chokes on their Cheerios. This is my opinion of course. And it comes from years of experimenting with LHL and a recent trackman incident which showed exactly why the grip bandaids some things.

> Two very well recognized teachers stood and told me what I already felt. That you aren’t dragging the putter with left hand. Your pushing it with your right and the left is simply locking it from flipping the putter head past the hands. It’s moving the hinge position in the hands and making it near impossible to break down because of the leverage point change.

I never understood this until last year. As I said before I tried LHL about 15+ years ago and was horrible with it, but I was trying to let the left hand "lead" the stroke. It wasn't until I tried again last year and thought about how I used to think of my conventional putting as I would "hold it with the left, stroke it with the right", and then tried to apply that to LHL. It probably came from watching pros on the practice green at the Colonial a few years ago and seeing some practicing one handed with their right hand, something I started doing now and again on the practice green, even before I switched to LHL. Even thought my left hand is my dominate hand (write, throw, etc with my left), and I play golf right handed, my touch/feel seems to be in my right hand/arm.

WITB
Srixon ZX5 LS 9.0, HZRDUS Black 60 6.0
Ping G425 LST 3 wood, Tensei Orange

Ping G410  7 wood set at 19, Tensei Orange

Srixon ZX 4 MKii 4 iron, ZX 5 MKii 5,6 irons  ZX7 MKii  7-PW KBS TGI 90

RTX Zipcore  Tour Rack 50, 54, 60

L.A.B. Golf Mezz.1 Max 16 CB, 39 inches

Srixon-Z Star XV

I’ve tried LHL and claw grips the last 3 years, with some practice with a conventional grip as well, with several different putters. For a while the claw worked well, but I never felt like I had great distance control on long putts. I realized that I played my best golf and putted the best earlier in my “career “ LHL. And much of that with a Bullseye blade.

I’ve committed to LHL, only this time it’s with my Odyssey O-Works Tank putter. It’s the heaviest putter I’ve ever used, almost feels like it’s swinging itself. At first I had some problems with speed control on really fast greens, but I think I have that (somewhat) under control.

One last thought, I recently realized that my grip was getting too much into my fingers. I have focused on gripping more in the palms, and it helps me keep the blade more square through impact.

Callaway Epic Flash Driver & 3 Wood with Mitsubishi shafts

Callaway 3 Hybrid & 5 Hybrid

Epon AF 305 5 iron - Lob Wedge with Mitsubishi Shafts

Odyssey Tank Versa #7 Putter

Bridgestone Tour B RXS ball

After 3 years of LHL, I'm back to conventional.

I found myself pulling short putts LHL. Someone mentioned earlier that pulling with the left hand can be a problem, an I think that had crept into my stroke.

Changing has solved that problem for the time being....

Shot a 76 w/ 30 putts last week. Only one birdie but only one 3 putt as well one some grainy bermuda. Only missed one short putt.

Rogue ST Max LS Oban Devotion 6/03 10.5, -1* @45.25" 

Paradym 3HL  Kai’li 60 R
Ping G410 19*,  22* & 26* Riptide CB 80 5.5
Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-AW, SF i80cw R,  Or Cobra Forged Tec Black 6-GW, SF i95cw R   
PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

Bettinardi Innovai Rev 6.0  33” 

E.R.C. Soft TT/ Chrome Soft TT / TM Tour Response '20

> @Lionstar said:

> I have putted LHL for 20 years,,long before it became popular as it is today. I can tell all of you trying this that the backstroke is INITIALLY started by **pushing back with the left hand but then the stroke is dominated BY THE RIGHT HAND.** I learned this about 10 years ago by hearing Tiger say his distance control was always with the right hand . Even though his grip is conventional, he is correct for both styles. Since this discovery I have become an exceptional putter. In short I will say that after the initial take-a-way push with the left, the right hand should dominate.

Not sure if you are still following this thread, but thanks for this. Not sure why I've never heard this or had this thought, but it has helped me a ton.

• Like 1

Ping G425 Max 9*, Aldila Rogue White 70s

Titleist TS3 4 wood, Diamana Kal’li 70s

New Level 902 PD, PX 6.5

Mizuno S18 50*, PX 6.5

Cleveland CBX2 54*, DG s400 TI

Callaway MD4 58*, DG s400 

Odyssey White Hot OG 7CH

> @DeepPutts said:

> > @"High Plains Driver" said:

> > > You should feel absolutely no release.

>

> I like your perspective. Just curious what definition of release you're using? The feeling of the putter head moving inside after impact? Just want to make sure I understand. Thanks.

>

>

The putter will swing on an arc back to the inside naturally, but the feel I have is that I am pulling the back of my left hand towards the hole the entire forward stroke. There is a minuscule amount of face rotation (due to the arc), but it does not feel that way.

Taylormade Sim2 10.5° (turned down to 9°) - Tensei White 60 stiff

Ping G400 3 and 5 Woods - Diamana D+ Limited 70 stiff

Ping G400 22° Hybrid - Diamana D+ 90 Stiff

Ping i200 5-UW - Modus Tour 105 stiff

Vokey SM4 54° and 58° - DGS-300

Cameron Special Select Newport 2

longer back stroke and a stronger right hand grip has helped tremendously; i've been doing it for close to 5 years now. get a couple lessons from instructors who does left hand low. it's the most beautiful roll

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s
Callaway Apex Pro 4H ADDI 85s
Titleist T200 5i, T100 6-PW Accra i100
Titleist 50F-54S-58M Accra i105

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

Does anyone find that Center Shafted putters work better for LHL than toe hang putters?

PING G430 LST 10.5° | DIAMANA GT 60X

COBRA DARKSPEED X 3HF 16.5° | HZRDUS BLACK 70X

PING G425 7W 20.5° | DIAMANA GT 70X

SRIXON ZX5 5-6 | MMT TAPER 105TX

SRIXON ZX7 7-PW | MMT TAPER 105TX

PING GLIDE 4.0 50°/54°/58° | MMT WEDGE 125TX

ODYSSEY TRI-HOT 5K SEVEN DB

SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND 

I have been putting left hand low for about 5 years now. I was a decent putter before but much better now. I almost always hit my intended line and like others have said 15’ and in it’s great. If i have a good read it’s going in. Distance control was the hardest part for me to get used to. When I started to focus on tempo of the stroke and keeping an even tempo back and through it helped me tremendously. Now it’s all about getting a good read and I am averaging around 29-30 putts per round.

Ping G425 LST 10.5*
Ping G425 LST 14.5
Taylormade Sim max hybrid 19*

Srixon ZX5 4 iron & 5 iron
Srixon ZX7 6-AW
Vokey SM8 54.10S and 60.04L
Evnroll ER5 black

I switched a long time ago to LHL after reading about Jack’s right wrist angle he kept through his stroke. Obviously worked for him, but the only way I could make it feel right was when I went with my left hand low. I now only have two of my left hand fingers on the grip of the putter. Works for me because I get the correct impact angle and face rotation.

Titleist TSr2 w/ HZRDUS Smoke

Cobra BioCell+ 3W Aldila Tour Green

Cally Razr Hawk 7W Aldila Tour Green

Wilson Staff C200 w/ KBS 115’s
Cleveland DSG 52 & 58
TP Hydroblast Chaska
...all subject to “adjustment” per WRX societal norms...

> @granata10 said:

> I have been putting left hand low for about 5 years now. I was a decent putter before but much better now. I almost always hit my intended line and like others have said 15’ and in it’s great. If i have a good read it’s going in. Distance control was the hardest part for me to get used to. When I started to focus on tempo of the stroke and keeping an even tempo back and through it helped me tremendously. Now it’s all about getting a good read and I am averaging around 29-30 putts per round.

Yes, even tempo for all length putts. Have you heard of instinct putting? It's a good drill for some folks developing natural feel for distance. Basically it's just staring at the cup while you putt instead of looking down.

> @DeepPutts said:

> > @granata10 said:

> > I have been putting left hand low for about 5 years now. I was a decent putter before but much better now. I almost always hit my intended line and like others have said 15’ and in it’s great. If i have a good read it’s going in. Distance control was the hardest part for me to get used to. When I started to focus on tempo of the stroke and keeping an even tempo back and through it helped me tremendously. Now it’s all about getting a good read and I am averaging around 29-30 putts per round.

>

> Yes, even tempo for all length putts. Have you heard of instinct putting? It's a good drill for some folks developing natural feel for distance. Basically it's just staring at the cup while you putt instead of looking down.

I haven’t heard of instinct putting but have done that drill for years, look at the hole and hit the putt. I really like doing it early in the year to get my feel back. I also don’t look at the ball. I look at a spot about an inch or 2 in front of the ball on my intended line, learned that from Dave Stocktons book.

Ping G425 LST 10.5*
Ping G425 LST 14.5

Srixon ZX7 6-AW
Evnroll ER5 black

I’ve been putting LHL for about 20 years, pretty much as long as I’ve golfed. I had a 2 year experiment with an arm lock but even with that I was LHL. Every now and then I mess around on the putting green with different grips ( 10 finger, interlock, overlap and the claw) but nothing feels as natural and automatic as LHL.

Driver -  Callaway Paradym 🔷🔷🔷 9 degree with GD UB 6S

3 Wood- Cobra F9 with Fujikura Atmos blue 5S

5 Wood - Cobra F9 with Fujikura Atmos blue 5S
Hybrid - Cobra F9 22 degree Fujikura Atmos blue 5S
5 & 6 Irons - Srixon Z545
7 - PW - Srixon Z745
Wedges - Bridgestone J15 50* and 54* and Callaway PM grind 58* and 64*
Putter - LAB Golf mezz max broomstick, LAB Golf DF 2.1 armlock, LAB golf 2.1 standard length 

> @granata10 said:

> > @DeepPutts said:

> > > @granata10 said:

> > > I have been putting left hand low for about 5 years now. I was a decent putter before but much better now. I almost always hit my intended line and like others have said 15’ and in it’s great. If i have a good read it’s going in. Distance control was the hardest part for me to get used to. When I started to focus on tempo of the stroke and keeping an even tempo back and through it helped me tremendously. Now it’s all about getting a good read and I am averaging around 29-30 putts per round.

> >

> > Yes, even tempo for all length putts. Have you heard of instinct putting? It's a good drill for some folks developing natural feel for distance. Basically it's just staring at the cup while you putt instead of looking down.

>

> I haven’t heard of instinct putting but have done that drill for years, look at the hole and hit the putt. I really like doing it early in the year to get my feel back. I also don’t look at the ball. I look at a spot about an inch or 2 in front of the ball on my intended line, learned that from Dave Stocktons book.

>

Can't go wrong with Dave, a lot of people don't understand some of his stuff but he drops more useful quotes per minute than anyone in the game. :)

> @DeepPutts said:

> > @granata10 said:

> > > @DeepPutts said:

> > > > @granata10 said:

> > > > I have been putting left hand low for about 5 years now. I was a decent putter before but much better now. I almost always hit my intended line and like others have said 15’ and in it’s great. If i have a good read it’s going in. Distance control was the hardest part for me to get used to. When I started to focus on tempo of the stroke and keeping an even tempo back and through it helped me tremendously. Now it’s all about getting a good read and I am averaging around 29-30 putts per round.

> > >

> > > Yes, even tempo for all length putts. Have you heard of instinct putting? It's a good drill for some folks developing natural feel for distance. Basically it's just staring at the cup while you putt instead of looking down.

> >

> > I haven’t heard of instinct putting but have done that drill for years, look at the hole and hit the putt. I really like doing it early in the year to get my feel back. I also don’t look at the ball. I look at a spot about an inch or 2 in front of the ball on my intended line, learned that from Dave Stocktons book.

> >

>

> Can't go wrong with Dave, a lot of people don't understand some of his stuff but he drops more useful quotes per minute than anyone in the game. :)

I go back to his book every time I am struggling and always pick something up new or that I forgot.

Ping G425 LST 10.5*
Ping G425 LST 14.5

Srixon ZX7 6-AW
Evnroll ER5 black

• 4 years later...
On 8/13/2019 at 1:27 AM, DeepPutts said:

> @disco111 said:

>

That was Jim Furyk's dad who asked Arnie and Gary that at a party, and that's why he taught Jim to putt cross handed, i.e. "One time, Mike [Furyk} approached Arnold Palmer and Gary Player at a party and asked each separately what he would change in his career if he could go back and do it over. Both said they would have learned to putt cross-handed. So Mike taught his son to putt cross-handed. That worked pretty well too, and Furyk hasn’t changed it."

Did you get this from Ted Hunt? That guy makes up nonsense about everything