2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

North Berwick or Carnoustie?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Carnoustie is tough, really tough. NB is more "fun" , but still a good test. But from St Andrews, Carnoustie is less than an hour drive, NB is closer to 2 each way, if traffic cooperates. You might consider Panmure, close to Carnoustie, a bit less dear, plenty demanding. But I'd really think twice about driving through or around Edinburgh to get to NB, even knowing how good the golf course is.

North Berwick* and North Berwick... then North Berwick, one more at North Berwick, and then Carnoustie :-)

*I may be biased as North Berwick is my favorite course in Scotland, but I did enjoy Carnoustie too. If it's a logistics thing fair enough, but if you've not been before, one of either NB or Prestwick needs to be on the agenda for a Scottish trip IMHO.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

It’s really going to depend on your individual passions and what else you’re playing. If you crave playing courses that you’ve seen on TV and have hosted majors, of course Carnoustie is the choice. It is a blast to play the holes that you just watched in the Open last year, trying to fathom how Molinari escaped bogey free. It’s fascinating picturing Hogan navigating those tough holes en route to winning the only Open he played. And of course, it is a smug feeling to get through the 18th in fewer strokes than Van de Velde. Carnoustie is more fascinating from the perspective of great competitive moments from the finest golfers in the world.

In contrast, NB has a very different kind of history, perhaps more historic but less dramatic. It’s a course that is more interesting from an architectural perspective. It isn’t a hard course, but you’ll see interesting design details you won’t find at many courses, like stone sheep pen walls crossing fairways and lining a green. The membership is warm and welcoming. NB’s competition history mostly involves matches in the old era with players like Old Tom and Tommy Morris, not the moments you’ve seen on TV. In fact, father and son were playing a big match at NB when a telegram was handed to Old Tom telling him that Tommy’s wife was in difficult labor and gravely ill; they finished the match and rushed across the firth by boat, finding that she a died by the time they returned home.

Each course is fun and very rewarding to play. Carnoustie is a shorter and easier drive from St Andrews, so if logistics are a concern it’s an easy choice. Other than that, think of what you’re looking for in terms of course history and how that fits with the other places you’re playing during your visit. Both are a great choice and you’ll have a great time at either place.

a vote for Carnoustie; easier/quicker to get to, an Open course and much more of a challenge.

The drive to Edinburgh can be fine, the new bridge is brilliant as you can go over at 70mph and its much more guarded from the wind. huge improvement. Getting South of Edinburgh can be frustrating, the road can be busy for the size of the road, a lot depends on time of day.

The drive to Carnoustie, although can have cars on it till Dundee, it should move fine enough, then getting through Dundee is easy but could have a little traffic depending on time of day then its easy up the coast from there.

When are you there?

• Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Black 6X
  • Taylormade Sim2 15* Tensei White 80TX
  • TM Stealth 2 Iron or Ping i59 3 iron Project X 7.0
  • Artisan MB 4-9 Project X 7.0
  • Artisan 46*, 50* Project X 6.5
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217

So we decided we are just going to stay in North Berwick the first night. We get in on Tuesday morning in late August. Going to check out Edinburgh that day, stay in NB that night and have the tee time Wednesday morning. Then drive to St Andrews after for the 5 days. North Berwick has been a bucket list course, but it makes for a little more driving and work. I think it will be worth it. Thanks for the info everyone.

> @mci711 said:

> So we decided we are just going to stay in North Berwick the first night. We get in on Tuesday morning in late August. Going to check out Edinburgh that day, stay in NB that night and have the tee time Wednesday morning. Then drive to St Andrews after for the 5 days. North Berwick has been a bucket list course, but it makes for a little more driving and work. I think it will be worth it. Thanks for the info everyone.

Good plan!

> @mci711 said:

> So we decided we are just going to stay in North Berwick the first night. We get in on Tuesday morning in late August. Going to check out Edinburgh that day, stay in NB that night and have the tee time Wednesday morning. Then drive to St Andrews after for the 5 days. North Berwick has been a bucket list course, but it makes for a little more driving and work. I think it will be worth it. Thanks for the info everyone.

You will have a great experience the golf is so much fun and North Berwick is a great place. Enjoy!

Titleist TS2 9.5 HZRDUS Smoke Black 60

TaylorMade M2 3 wood
Ping G5 4 Hybrid Grafalloy ProLuanch Blue Stiff
Titleist AP3 ProjectX LZ 6.0
Titleist Volkey SM7: 48,54
Odyssey Works #7

• 1 month later...

> @mci711 said:

As I started sketching out a solo St Andrew’s itinerary, I realized my best bet would be starting or ending in North Berwick for a night since I’m flying to EDI. Will be following to hear how it goes.

You won't be disappointed by either course tbh, but one of them is on the Open rotation and one of them isn't.

I played Carnoustie in April in a 3 club wind and it was fantastic. Being able to understand the course in more detail next time it hosts the Open is what I liked.

• Ping G400 9* Fujikura Speeder 661 X (+16g head weight)
  • Tour Edge Exotics CB3 Tour 18*, True Temper Bi Matrix RXi X 
  • Adams Idea A7 19* & 22* UST V2 Hybrid X +0.5'
  • Mizuno MP20 HMB 4i KBS C-Taper 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Mizuno MP20 MMC 5-7 Nippon Modus 3 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Mizuno MP20 MB 8-PW Nippon Modus 3 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Cleveland RTX3 V-MG 50* TT S400 +0.5'
  • Nike Engage Raw 54* TT S400 +0.5'
  • Cleveland RTX 588 Rotex 2.0 60* TT S400 +0.5'
  • EVNROLL 2.2 35' Super Stroke GTR 1.0

> @philsRHman said:

> > @mci711 said:

> > So we decided we are just going to stay in North Berwick the first night. We get in on Tuesday morning in late August. Going to check out Edinburgh that day, stay in NB that night and have the tee time Wednesday morning. Then drive to St Andrews after for the 5 days. North Berwick has been a bucket list course, but it makes for a little more driving and work. I think it will be worth it. Thanks for the info everyone.

>

> As I started sketching out a solo St Andrew’s itinerary, I realized my best bet would be starting or ending in North Berwick for a night since I’m flying to EDI. Will be following to hear how it goes.

I'll post my thoughts after for sure!

> @davep043 said:

> Carnoustie is tough, really tough. NB is more "fun" , but still a good test. But from St Andrews, Carnoustie is less than an hour drive, NB is closer to 2 each way, if traffic cooperates. You might consider Panmure, close to Carnoustie, a bit less dear, plenty demanding. But I'd really think twice about driving through or around Edinburgh to get to NB, even knowing how good the golf course is.

I think the above sums it up pretty well. If you want a fantastic day of fun and "quirky" golf on a great golf course then North Berwick is the way forward. If you want to tick off an Open rota course which can be a brutal challenge then head to Carnoustie.

I'll also throw Lundin Links into the equation, its a pretty underrated course in my opinion.

Ping G430 Max 9* - Accra shaft

Ping G430 5 & 7 Woods Kai'li White

Ping iCrossover 3 Kai'li White

Ping i525 5-U Recoils

Ping Glide 4.0 54/58

PXG Bat Attack

:smilie_ping:

> @thecraw said:

> > @davep043 said:

> > Carnoustie is tough, really tough. NB is more "fun" , but still a good test. But from St Andrews, Carnoustie is less than an hour drive, NB is closer to 2 each way, if traffic cooperates. You might consider Panmure, close to Carnoustie, a bit less dear, plenty demanding. But I'd really think twice about driving through or around Edinburgh to get to NB, even knowing how good the golf course is.

>

> I think the above sums it up pretty well. If you want a fantastic day of fun and "quirky" golf on a great golf course then North Berwick is the way forward. If you want to tick off an Open rota course which can be a brutal challenge then head to Carnoustie.

> I'll also throw Lundin Links into the equation, its a pretty underrated course in my opinion.

I enjoyed Lundin Links as well. The first four holes will get your attention, especially going into a west wind. Its also kind of interesting as it turns up the hill into a more parkland setting, two styles of terrain in a single course.

I played both a couple weeks ago, and due to high winds on the front at North Berwick, it was the toughest 9 holes between the two courses. I’m an 8, and I played so bad on the front at Carnoustie, but really got it going on the back 9 and was -1 on 15-18 and finished with a birdie on 18. If you’re keeping it in play and the conditions aren’t brutal, you can have a decent round there.

• 3 weeks later...

> @Chigolfer2 said:

> North Berwick....North Berwick.....I'd like to know what the town of North Berwick is like for Pubs and Restaurants. Both of my stops we stayed in Edinburgh.

Much nicer than Ayr and less of an OAP town than some other places, due to the ease of commuting into Edi. It also has some good restaurants and cafes in part due to that.

Because of having a car when doing golf trips, I find places like NB, Portobello (on the East edge of the city), Partick in Glasgow preferable options to staying in the city centre. But to NB specifically you could absolutely spend a few nights there while playing in East Lothian and have a wonderful time.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

I absolutely LOVED both courses. But both are very, very different. North Berwick is definitely more "fun" like someone mentioned above. It has a little bit of quirk and a lot of character. Not to mention the views on the sea are breathtaking. Carnoustie is a tough test of golf without the pretty views, but it has all of the history. If the history of the course and strategy is important to you, then go to Carnoustie. If you're looking for a fun day of golf, go to North Berwick. If you're a baller and can swing it, do both!

Also, +1 on the 4-5 hour round trip drive it would take to get to/fromNB. That sounds miserable, but then again, I hated driving on the left :lol:

> @Chigolfer2 said:

> North Berwick....North Berwick.....I'd like to know what the town of North Berwick is like for Pubs and Restaurants. Both of my stops we stayed in Edinburgh.

Restaurants - A+

Pubs - we generally had our drinks with dinner, but Ship Inn, Golfer’s Rest looked interesting when stuck my head in. May be a couple more and I’m sure some folks have actually sat down for a pint in them and can comment. Also enjoyed having beverages/food at the courses when we could and liked the course members’ rooms, etc. for that purpose.

Not many pubs in NB..Ship Inn, Golfer's Rest and Auld Hoose. My favourite is Auld Hoose, but the Ship offers outdoor drinking if the weather is decent. There is also a "pop up" bar across from Kirk Ports, the Beach Hut (not on the beach!). Its basically outdoor drinking only. If you are staying on the Marine Hotel side of town some locals use the Netherlands Hotel as a pub. Many folks use the Herringbone as a pub.

Restaurants are decent, perhaps Osteria is the best, but it isn't outstanding. I don't have a favourite. Rocketeer has a good rep, never tried it. The Thai place allows folks to bring in their own beer/wine which is a plus.

Its all plenty good enough to spend several nights in town, but it is the setting which is the star of the show.

Ciao