Akshay

Listened to a podcast a while ago the Leezer had sent. He was interviewed and said that he never had any aspirations of going to college because he doesn't like school. The plan all along was for him to pursue professional golf.

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

> @heavy_hitter said:

> Listened to a podcast a while ago the Leezer had sent. He was interviewed and said that he never had any aspirations of going to college because he doesn't like school. The plan all along was for him to pursue professional golf.

Today in other news. A once promising golfer pursing the PGA dream is now asking "Do you want to make that a combo?"

A solid a education is key. Sports is always secondary.

I keep going back and forth with myself on Akshay's decision for his future here. On one hand, I can see he's very talented and even played well in the PGA event earlier this year. Being able to focus fully on golf after high school might be a good option for him to max out his abilities. He has been in some fairly big amateur tourny's lately and hasn't faired too well. It seems maybe when he's thrown into competition against college players and other well accomplish am's, his skills just seem average. When he was competing against other juniors the past couple years he was blowing them away.

Going to college to gain that experience against the best competition in the nation may also be what he needs. But, if the kid doesn't like school and never planned on going to college, then he may never go to class and flunk out so that would be a waste of his time.

Driver - Callaway Epic Max LS 9.0
3 wood - Cobra F8
Irons 3-PW - Mizuno MP54
Wedges - Vokey SM5 50°, Cleveland Zipcore 54°, Cleveland Zipcore 58°
Putter - Odyssey Stroke Lab 3

> @diablocrusher said:

> I keep going back and forth with myself on Akshay's decision for his future here. On one hand, I can see he's very talented and even played well in the PGA event earlier this year. Being able to focus fully on golf after high school might be a good option for him to max out his abilities. He has been in some fairly big amateur tourny's lately and hasn't faired too well. It seems maybe when he's thrown into competition against college players and other well accomplish am's, his skills just seem average. When he was competing against other juniors the past couple years he was blowing them away.

>

> Going to college to gain that experience against the best competition in the nation may also be what he needs. But, if the kid doesn't like school and never planned on going to college, then he may never go to class and flunk out so that would be a waste of his time.

I agree, but he is training full time now.

> @yellowlover519 said:

> Today’s pgatour radio breed show said there were rumors that Akshay was foregoing college bc being homeschooled he may not have been eligible to play in college. Anyone have any insight into this?

If this was true, then why did he meet with so many colleges including Stanford and OSU. I'd stick with the fact that he just doesn't like school and one way or the other he will be fine financially.

> @heavy_hitter said:

> > @diablocrusher said:

> > I keep going back and forth with myself on Akshay's decision for his future here. On one hand, I can see he's very talented and even played well in the PGA event earlier this year. Being able to focus fully on golf after high school might be a good option for him to max out his abilities. He has been in some fairly big amateur tourny's lately and hasn't faired too well. It seems maybe when he's thrown into competition against college players and other well accomplish am's, his skills just seem average. When he was competing against other juniors the past couple years he was blowing them away.

> >

> > Going to college to gain that experience against the best competition in the nation may also be what he needs. But, if the kid doesn't like school and never planned on going to college, then he may never go to class and flunk out so that would be a waste of his time.

>

> I agree, but he is training full time now.

Yeah, as far as I can tell he's been full time for a while.

There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

> @diablocrusher said:

> I keep going back and forth with myself on Akshay's decision for his future here. On one hand, I can see he's very talented and even played well in the PGA event earlier this year. Being able to focus fully on golf after high school might be a good option for him to max out his abilities. He has been in some fairly big amateur tourny's lately and hasn't faired too well. It seems maybe when he's thrown into competition against college players and other well accomplish am's, his skills just seem average. When he was competing against other juniors the past couple years he was blowing them away.

>

> Going to college to gain that experience against the best competition in the nation may also be what he needs. But, if the kid doesn't like school and never planned on going to college, then he may never go to class and flunk out so that would be a waste of his time.

> @BertGA said:

> In other news, the 126th PGA player on the money list made over 800k. Obviously you have to get to the tour, and that is a few times more than the top of the KFT, but even failing in the PGA can be good.

Not disagreeing with you. I know I say that as I plan my comment. He didn't actually net 800K (not saying that's what you meant). Total earning might have been 800k, but how of that did he finally hand over to wife to spend. :-) These guys are 1099 contractors to the PGA.

Agent fees

Caddie fees

travel

Business manager

CPA

ETC

I would gladly take the 800K to play golf for sure.

> @TripleBogeysrbetter said:

>

>

> > @BertGA said:

> > In other news, the 126th PGA player on the money list made over 800k. Obviously you have to get to the tour, and that is a few times more than the top of the KFT, but even failing in the PGA can be good.

>

> Not disagreeing with you. I know I say that as I plan my comment. He didn't actually net 800K (not saying that's what you meant). Total earning might have been 800k, but how of that did he finally hand over to wife to spend. :-) These guys are 1099 contractors to the PGA.

> Agent fees

> Caddie fees

> travel

> Business manager

> CPA

> ETC

> I would gladly take the 800K to play golf for sure.

I understand his bank account doesn’t list 800k in deposits this year. Same way my gross pay is not the same as my take home. We all have to share our pie. Well, most of us. Some have figured out how to take it all home and not pay taxes.

Not sure if this is what you were looking for, OP, but I have some experience with homeschooled athletes and the NCAA (I volunteer some time to help homeschoolers with legal issues when I actually have time).

Homeschooled children can compete in the NCAA, but there are many requirements. Typically, the students have to enroll in online classes that are NCAA-approved. I've seen students who have taken calculus during homeschool, received a 5 on the AP BC calc exam, and scored over 1500 (on the 1600 max test) on the SAT and be denied athletic eligibility by the NCAA because they didn't take "approved" courses.

Driver: TaylorMade SIM 8* (standard setting) with MCA Tensei AV Raw Orange 75TX at 44.5"
3W: TaylorMade M5 15* (standard setting) with Oban Devotion 8 O5 at 42"
Hybrid: PXG Gen 2 0317X 19* (standard setting) with Oban Kiyoshi Purple Hybrid O5 at 39.5"
4i-9i: Callaway '18 Apex MB's with KBS C-Taper 130X at 1/4" long
46: Callaway JAWS MD5 10S
50: Callaway JAWS MD5 10S
54: Callaway JAWS MD5 8C
58: Callaway JAWS MD5 8W
Putter: Kari Lajosi Custom DD201WB

> @4rheel said:

> First time hearing of this kid. Is he that good or just a left-handed Ty Tryon?

Ty was silly good. Contended at the Honda as a 16 year old and earned his tour card at 17. Had injuries and off the course things affect him. But he was more than good enough to play on tour and made millions of dollars.

• Like 2

It will definitely be interesting to watch.

Since he is not going to college and doesn't have a backup plan with that 1) Propel him to work hard which will help him make it or 2) Put too much pressure on himself to succeed and cause him to fail?

I listened to a podcast with Eduardo Molinari where he said since he had a college degree he knew he could always go do something else. He thought that helped him not put too much pressure on himself.

Everyone is different so we will see what works fro Ashkay.

Akshay has been named to the 2019 Walker Cup team. Should be great experience.

Adams 9015D 10.5 Matrix Ozik
TM M2 Deep Face 3HL Fuji Atmos 6
Callaway Apex 20 Steelfiber hls780
Adams Pro Mini 23 Steelfiber i95
Adams A12 Pro Black 5-9PW Steelfiber i95
Adams CB2 GW Steelfiber i95
Vokey SM6 Black 54 S-Grind Steelfiber i110 CW
Vokey Oil Can 58 V-Grind Kuro Kage TiNi 105
Scotty Cameron Pro Plat Newport Mil Spec

It's not how fast you play, it's how well you play fast!

• 4 weeks later...

> @leezer99 said:

> Starting in his first professional event at Sanderson Farms this week. Can't wait to see him play.

My son (11) is playing in the Junior Pro-Am Wednesday and I’m kind of hoping we get Akshay (the sponsor invites always have to play in this). I’m sure my son is hoping for someone cooler.

> @"Pinewood Golfer" said:

> > @leezer99 said:

> > Starting in his first professional event at Sanderson Farms this week. Can't wait to see him play.

>

> My son (11) is playing in the Junior Pro-Am Wednesday and I’m kind of hoping we get Akshay (the sponsor invites always have to play in this). I’m sure my son is hoping for someone cooler.

Update: my son is playing with Akshay. I’ll be on the bag. Looking forward to it

• Like 1

> > @"Pinewood Golfer" said:

> > > @leezer99 said:

> > > Starting in his first professional event at Sanderson Farms this week. Can't wait to see him play.

> >

> > My son (11) is playing in the Junior Pro-Am Wednesday and I’m kind of hoping we get Akshay (the sponsor invites always have to play in this). I’m sure my son is hoping for someone cooler.

>

> Update: my son is playing with Akshay. I’ll be on the bag. Looking forward to it

>

>

Very cool. Interested to see what you think of Akshay's overall game. It's a different game being out there among grown men trying to make $$, earn your card and prove yourself to sponsors.

> @wlm said:

> Sounds like a blast. He’s a really nice young man.

It’s an awesome event. The Sanderson is one of very few PGA events that have a junior pro-am. I’ll report back on the Akshay experience. Hopefully he’ll play his ass off because the prizes for the kids are legit

> > @wlm said:

> > Sounds like a blast. He’s a really nice young man.

>

> It’s an awesome event. The Sanderson is one of very few PGA events that have a junior pro-am. I’ll report back on the Akshay experience. Hopefully he’ll play his **** off because the prizes for the kids are legit

>

>

Today was a pretty memorable day for my son and me (and the rest of the family that was along). Akshay was super with the kids. Very engaged, very positive and encouraging and making sure to spend good time with each of the 4 juniors in our group.

He had his inaugural press conference as a pro today—his version of “Hello world”—and he requested that a junior accompany him to the podium to participate with him. My son was the one who got to go. Talk about an amazing experience (you can see it on PGA TOUR’s twitter feed).

We’ll see how his game looks over the next 3 weeks. He was good (obviously), but all of these guys are. He will need to be better if he’s expecting to make a quick mark on tour.

All in all I was impressed with his presence and maturity given his age. He’s got quite the team around him and will be given a lot of chances to succeed. He will have a fan in us.

> Today was a pretty memorable day for my son and me (and the rest of the family that was along). Akshay was super with the kids. Very engaged, very positive and encouraging and making sure to spend good time with each of the 4 juniors in our group.

>

> He had his inaugural press conference as a pro today—his version of “Hello world”—and he requested that a junior accompany him to the podium to participate with him. My son was the one who got to go. Talk about an amazing experience (you can see it on PGA TOUR’s twitter feed).

>

> We’ll see how his game looks over the next 3 weeks. He was good (obviously), but all of these guys are. He will need to be better if he’s expecting to make a quick mark on tour.

>

> All in all I was impressed with his presence and maturity given his age. He’s got quite the team around him and will be given a lot of chances to succeed. He will have a fan in us.

Color me jealous! Sounds like your son had a great time.

There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

> > @"Pinewood Golfer" said:

> > > @wlm said:

> > > Sounds like a blast. He’s a really nice young man.

> >

> > It’s an awesome event. The Sanderson is one of very few PGA events that have a junior pro-am. I’ll report back on the Akshay experience. Hopefully he’ll play his **** off because the prizes for the kids are legit

> >

> >

>

> Today was a pretty memorable day for my son and me (and the rest of the family that was along). Akshay was super with the kids. Very engaged, very positive and encouraging and making sure to spend good time with each of the 4 juniors in our group.

>

> He had his inaugural press conference as a pro today—his version of “Hello world”—and he requested that a junior accompany him to the podium to participate with him. My son was the one who got to go. Talk about an amazing experience (you can see it on PGA TOUR’s twitter feed).

>

> We’ll see how his game looks over the next 3 weeks. He was good (obviously), but all of these guys are. He will need to be better if he’s expecting to make a quick mark on tour.

>

> All in all I was impressed with his presence and maturity given his age. He’s got quite the team around him and will be given a lot of chances to succeed. He will have a fan in us.

That is awesome!