Clubhouse Grille (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS ***)

Not much to brag about in my game right now. Good shots and bad. Wish I was more consistent. But can I brag again about my SIL? He did it again. He came back from a 78 in round one with two 69's to win his Club Championship by one in a very strong field.

eto0yn4ehe82.png

• Like 1

Turn the mass

OGA member #15

Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am

Congratulations to SIL of Scotee on winning his club 'ship. Obviously, he's got major game. I remember you posting a video of his swing I long time back. And I saved it because I really liked how he swung a golf club. (His right elbow wasn't riveted tight to his chest. Sorta how I'm doing it, without making any comparisons whatsoever.)

Must be nice to be able to receive free golf tips from the baller in the family. If asked.

• Like 2

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

Not wanting the following to come across as self glossing. WTS. A week ago, league night, shot a best ever for 9 holes 39 (par 35). With two double bogeys and a birdie on the #1 handicap hole. Combined with my crappy 10 HC in league play, low net for the year. Followed that up last night with a 37 (par 36) on the tighter, more challenging side. Two birdies, three bogeys. No "stupid" holes. Drove the ball really well, placing myself in proper position. Zoned in with my putting. Lag putts were fantastic, didn't miss a putt inside 4', no three putts. Actually managed to execute a few decent second shots. Save for the last hole, where I stubbed the second. After a smoked drive faded around some trees to the center of the fairway, 135 out. Knowing that I had a good round going (without looking at the scorecard), to much pressure. Dropped a SW to 8', but missed the par saving putt straight up the slope. Had the grips.

Don't know if I won any skins. We were the first group off and didn't stick around to wait and see. Know that there was a carryover from the week prior, tidy pool of funds were in play last night. By far the best two nines I've ever played. Golf is fun.

We won't mention that following last week's performance, the next morning out with the Bud's group, shot a 96. Was like I never had swung a golf club before. Shanks and bolo slices. By the 15th hole, didn't give a shizzle any longer. WTF up with that? Today........YTBD. Golf is fickle.

• Like 2

Very nice play there @Fellaheen51 ! Gives me something to aspire to. Long ways off from that level of play at this point, but at least I'm playing. More than I could say last year.

Getting about ready for an extended period of R&R as we're now in the home stretch of closing the farm sale. So many little details to be looked after that aren't typical with selling a home. It doesn't help that contractors showed up Monday to tear out the main bathroom at the new place. They weren't supposed to start until mid September, but here they are a month early... I wanted to make a dent on the landscaping this fall, but have lost all incentive at this point beyond whacking down a few ~~overgrown shrubs~~ trees. Maybe just let things breath for a year and see what we've got. Everything is so rank that it would easily fill in if given a bit of room.

[Added] I'm remiss in not adding my congrats to scotee's SIL. :mrgreen:

• Like 2

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Congratulations to Scotee's son in law.

Never came close to winning an type of tournament. In fact, only played in a couple, and did EXTREMELY poorly. After that, just kind of forgot about any type of competition. The club championship had only 10 guys this year, don't know how many played in the senior division. The fellow that won the senior, he's 73, and very egotistic. He plays up the "country club" thing, though our club is very shabby, and could hardly be called a country club. He drives a new car every few years, currently a Lexus coupe. I was told his wife inherited a ton of money. He actually complimented my ATS, when I first bought it. I was indeed flattered that he approved. He never made any comment about any previous car I drove.

Only played three holes of golf with him some years ago. He joined up with me on #7 on day. He outdrove me 50 yards, but i luckily made birdies on 7 and 8, and drove the par 3 ninth. He was so rattled that he hit his tee shot into a bunker, hit the second into another bunker, and picked up his ball. We speak, that's about it. The guy needs to feed his ego, I don't.

President's visit went off without any problems, as far as I know. We were walking Penny, and we noticed a lady walking ahead of us, and then behind us. The missus thinks she was security of some sort, watching our side of the river.

Play well, gents.

• Like 2

@scomac2002. Thanks. Luck combined with a few consecutive well struck balls I suppose. Considering where you were at a year ago, the participation is the important point. Not necessarily the how well. For being able to play relatively pain free allows for improvement over time. If for no other reason than you're now able to get your reps in.

I noted while away, that you had moved. Congrats. Must have been a massive undertaking. (Couldn't even imagine trying to move now.) Sounds like you've begun the process of settling in. Where did you move to? Noted a pic you posted that showed a marina. So I'm assuming you're up towards the lake. Grimsley area?

By this time of year, I've lost all incentive for landscape work. Other than keeping the yard mowed periodically. Have some overgrown trees and shrubs in the back that need major attention. But likely will not tackle the whacking until later in the fall, when it is cooler. Maybe.

• Like 2

Yes, we moved to Grimsby on July 26. We're pretty well unpacked, at least the crucial stuff, but we have many totes in the utility room that will likely stay packed until the contents are required -- winter clothes, Christmas decorations, clubmaking gear, etc.

WE are located between the highway and the escarpment, about a 20 minute walk to the marina which was the pic you saw. A further 20 minutes takes one downshore to the beach, but we haven't made that journey yet. Going the other direction I'm about 15 minutes from the downtown area walking yesterday to the post office and bank. It's pretty handy both by foot and by car (3 minutes to the highway).

Slowly the strange is becoming familiar and we are settling in. I think that it's good that I've been busy because it takes my mind off of things and any thoughts of regret. I will say this much; everyone that I have run across or had dealings with down here has been incredibly friendly and helpful. It truly is a wonderful community based on first impressions!

It's hard to describe just how much work we have gone through and how much more there is to do. Looking back on it I'm not sure how we managed what we have in the past couple of years. Fortunately, we're in the home stretch now with the farm closing end of the month. There's still more to do, but the finish line is clearly in sight! At that point we'll be able to relax or at least I will. Not sure about DW though as she is really struggling with being short staffed at work and it's definitely taking a toll.

• Like 2

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

> @scomac2002 said:

> Yes, we moved to Grimsby on July 26. We're pretty well unpacked, at least the crucial stuff, but we have many totes in the utility room that will likely stay packed until the contents are required -- winter clothes, Christmas decorations, clubmaking gear, etc.

>

> WE are located between the highway and the escarpment, about a 20 minute walk to the marina which was the pic you saw. A further 20 minutes takes one downshore to the beach, but we haven't made that journey yet. Going the other direction I'm about 15 minutes from the downtown area walking yesterday to the post office and bank. It's pretty handy both by foot and by car (3 minutes to the highway).

>

> Slowly the strange is becoming familiar and we are settling in. I think that it's good that I've been busy because it takes my mind off of things and any thoughts of regret. I will say this much; everyone that I have run across or had dealings with down here has been incredibly friendly and helpful. It truly is a wonderful community based on first impressions!

>

> It's hard to describe just how much work we have gone through and how much more there is to do. Looking back on it I'm not sure how we managed what we have in the past couple of years. Fortunately, we're in the home stretch now with the farm closing end of the month. There's still more to do, but the finish line is clearly in sight! At that point we'll be able to relax or at least I will. Not sure about DW though as she is really struggling with being short staffed at work and it's definitely taking a toll.

That looks like a very nice area @scomac2002 . Do you fly from Toronto to see you kids in BC? Don't want to jinx it again but we are on our way to sign closing papers on the rental house we had to sell twice because it fell through. Will be glad to be out of the rental business. We have been moved for two years and I am embarrassed to say I still have boxes of stuff in my shop that need to be put away or junked. Like I said: moving sucks :smiley:

• Like 1

Turn the mass

OGA member #15

Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am

> @scotee said:

> > @scomac2002 said:

> > Yes, we moved to Grimsby on July 26. We're pretty well unpacked, at least the crucial stuff, but we have many totes in the utility room that will likely stay packed until the contents are required -- winter clothes, Christmas decorations, clubmaking gear, etc.

> >

> > WE are located between the highway and the escarpment, about a 20 minute walk to the marina which was the pic you saw. A further 20 minutes takes one downshore to the beach, but we haven't made that journey yet. Going the other direction I'm about 15 minutes from the downtown area walking yesterday to the post office and bank. It's pretty handy both by foot and by car (3 minutes to the highway).

> >

> > Slowly the strange is becoming familiar and we are settling in. I think that it's good that I've been busy because it takes my mind off of things and any thoughts of regret. I will say this much; everyone that I have run across or had dealings with down here has been incredibly friendly and helpful. It truly is a wonderful community based on first impressions!

> >

> > It's hard to describe just how much work we have gone through and how much more there is to do. Looking back on it I'm not sure how we managed what we have in the past couple of years. Fortunately, we're in the home stretch now with the farm closing end of the month. There's still more to do, but the finish line is clearly in sight! At that point we'll be able to relax or at least I will. Not sure about DW though as she is really struggling with being short staffed at work and it's definitely taking a toll.

>

> That looks like a very nice area @scomac2002 . Do you fly from Toronto to see you kids in BC? Don't want to jinx it again but we are on our way to sign closing papers on the rental house we had to sell twice because it fell through. Will be glad to be out of the rental business. We have been moved for two years and I am embarrassed to say I still have boxes of stuff in my shop that need to be put away or junked. Like I said: moving sucks :smiley:

>

WE will be flying out of Toronto (YYZ) next month when we go to Vancouver to take an Alaskan cruise. We will see the kids before we go as they will be joining us on the coast. YYZ gave us the option of a direct flight so we took that. We will go back out in December I think and most likely will fly from Hamilton (YHM) as it is closer and we can park for free with friends.

This is Nelles Beach at the foot of Nelles Rd. as you can see the lake level has consumed the beach as the waves were crashing on the breakwall.

• Like 2

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

This morning, suffering from restless wife syndrome, up at 4.30am. Medical appointment this morning, son is 50% through his repair of leg cycle, be extremely happy when this is finished.

Decided not to enter the local art competition for this year and will concentrate on producing some larger and better works for the next one, will be having my paintings exhibited sometime in the new year for one month, may even sell some as we are now overloaded with them.

Golf has been pencilled in for next week so here is hoping nothing turns up before then, winter is nearly over, temp in the day is warming, yesterday was a pleasant 75, nights still cool but getting there.

I will be taking it easy at golf as my right shoulder is giving me lots of pain, it’s from when I damaged my hand, the tug on my arm left me with a permanent injury and the extra work in the yard mainly as a result of my son’s injury has taken its toll on my shoulder. Sometimes it does suck that having all this experience cannot save you from the pain.

Stay safe Grillers, all we need now is for the captain to start posting and the Grille will be back to normal. Has anyone heard from Reasy?

• Like 2

Way down under in (not New Orleans) Australia.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

Kindly donated by mdgboxx and worn with pride

A definite geezer of some repute, ( I think ).

> @scotee said:

> Wow! some of us old pharts are still getting it out there. Gorillas all. Better get Wriggs a banana. :)

I have never been a long hitter, rely on my pin point accuracy.?

• Like 2

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

League round tonight was a perfect example of how erratic I can be on the course. I made it to the club in time to pay up, load up, and head to the first hole. Shot 7 over with 2 birdies, 1 par, 4 bogies, 1 double, and a triple.

What can I say? when it was good it was very good, when it was bad........

Oh well, nobody was seriously injured, my cap probably raised a tic, and one bird held up and paid $33.00.

• Like 2

> @billh17 said:

> Hey Tol, you and I could be a team. I will hit my monster 225 yarder and then your pin point

> direction control will get us out !

Sounds like a plan, the unbeatable team. ?

• Like 2

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

> @BicknellCC said:

> League round tonight was a perfect example of how erratic I can be on the course. I made it to the club in time to pay up, load up, and head to the first hole. Shot 7 over with 2 birdies, 1 par, 4 bogies, 1 double, and a triple.

> What can I say? when it was good it was very good, when it was bad........

> Oh well, nobody was seriously injured, my cap probably raised a tic, and one bird held up and paid $33.00.

>

Maddening, isn't it? This lack of consistency thing. At least you were able to take home some cash. Cuz:

"Money won is twice as sweet as money earned." - Fast Eddie Felson.

• Like 2

> @Fellaheen51 said:

> > @BicknellCC said:

> > League round tonight was a perfect example of how erratic I can be on the course. I made it to the club in time to pay up, load up, and head to the first hole. Shot 7 over with 2 birdies, 1 par, 4 bogies, 1 double, and a triple.

> > What can I say? when it was good it was very good, when it was bad........

> > Oh well, nobody was seriously injured, my cap probably raised a tic, and one bird held up and paid $33.00.

> >

> Maddening, isn't it? This lack of consistency thing. At least you were able to take home some cash. Cuz:

>

> **"Money won is twice as sweet as money earned."** - Fast Eddie Felson.

There is some truth to that. I still recal vividly my one big gaming score winning a baseball fantasy league that was sponsored by the men's bowling league I played in at the time. It was 1994, the strike (or was that lockout) shortened year. Lots of bitchin and moanin about how it wasn't fair, but the result stoud. It worked in my favour because Jeff Bagwell had just gone down with injury for the remainder of the season and he was my top point getter. Not many picked him as he was just a kid at the time.

I remember buying a copy of Baseball Prospectus in late March to get a head start on my research for pick selections. I guess that made me one of the first analytics guys at least in the world of fantasy sport at the time as most fellas were picking based on last year or two stats. I looked for young guys on an upward trajectory that hadn't peaked yet and/or turn around candidates for the lower tier picks. I used to grab the sports section of the paper everyday to tally the previous night's point totals to keep a running total of how I was doing as results were only posted weekly at bowling.

The money was put to good use as I got myself a new stereo system at a boxing week blowout later in the year. With young kids at the time we never spent anything on ourselves. I think that DW appreciated the win as much as me!

• Like 2

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

@scomac2002. Of course, Grimsby. Sorry about the misspelling. Was even looking at Maps while composing the prior post, speculating on where you had moved to. Very cool that you're within walking distance of town and shoreline. Always special to sit for a bit and look out at the lake. Never grows old.

The water levels have become crazy high this year in all the Great Lakes. A few years back (10 maybe?) the concern was low water. Recall that a number of marinas Up North could not get larger boats, with deeper drafts, to dockage. They were anchoring in the deeper water some distance away. Real problem has been occurring along the shore of Lake Michigan (with westerly winds). A number of drownings have occurred attributed to rip tide currents suddenly occurring. Beaches being "red flagged" with no swimming in the water. Read a report that the number is on a record pace this year. We were at a familiar beach a month ago and the loss of shoreline was astonishing. Even from just a year ago. What was once ~ 100 yards of beach was down to like 30 feet!! Lake levels have always been cynical.

• Like 2

Besides a few skins, etc, never won anything. When i was in college (age 31) in 1983, I was invited to an accountant society meeting in Pittsburgh by a professor. When I thanked him for the invite, he negated it by saying I was the only student who was local. Everyone else was on Christmas break and had gone home. I guess I wasn't his favorite student. He was the guy who later, after graduation, told me that if I could only get a minimum wage job, that's all I was worth. Interesting perspective, on supply and demand. He was right, in a way. No Big 8, and major corporate positions out there for a 32 year old steelworker turned junior accountant, with no connections.

Anyhow, i go the meeting with the guy, he drove, and the college paid for the dinner. I won ($27) in the 50-50 drawing, and also the door prize of a $40 gift certificate to Christopher's, a very swanky restaurant in Pittsburgh. Haven't won anything since. It was a good night, all in all.

A buddy and I used the gift certificate, no lady prospects at the time. The bill was over $50, even in 1984.

Cheers!

• Like 2

Oh the joys of being in the golf course business or at least working at it. Such was the tale of my day at the club yesterday; an entirely perfect day for golf with a full tee sheet no less right up to the point where the wheels began to fall off.

They have been having issues with the phones for about as long as i've worked there. I'm not sure what the problem is, but I'm guessing that it's aging infrastructure that was added to over time. Repairs are becoming shorter lived and the most recent suggestion was replacing the switchboard with a rebuilt model of lower capacity becuase what's there now is overkill.

Then, over the course of about a month, we've been having issues with blowing breakers. The electrical panel is a bit of a dog's breakfast with sub-panels here there and everywhere. At best, it appears that there's a 70 A service to the clubhouse and that's probably the problem as load demands have increased over time. On Monday, they were on stand-by power which put the kibosch on food service. Sometime yesterday early in the morning the breaker to the food prep center blew and that was without power until Brenda went to make something for a customer. The refrigerator in the prep center was up to 60°F, so all the meat and cheese and salads had to be thrown out! Ahh, but it didn't stop there...

I went up to the clubhouse after lunch and found the health inspector there and a guy from the water department as the monthly water test had failed. By now, it's close to full panic mode! They were given a reprieve upon a retest taking place today and the food service area passed with flying colours, so we're still in business for another day which had everyone on edge as there was a food tournament last night that could have been killed if they were shut down. I think it helped that the food for the tournament was outsources and had been brought in and was stored in separate refrigerators from the prep center and beverage cooler in the service area.

I was really impressed with how everyone handled this situation. The calm demeanor on the part of Jeff (superintendant) is reassuring to the rest of us. That said, it's pretty clear to me that some major upgrades are going to be necessary in the off-season to solve some of these problems. I'm not sure what the plan will be comsidering the rough start to the year with the weather and the impact it had on cashflow.

It doesn't matter whether you're running a dairy farm, a golf course or a nursery, we're all slaves to the same basic realities of business. The end product maybe different, but we all have to deal with the same set of challenges.

• Like 2

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

> @scomac2002 said:

> Oh the joys of being in the golf course business or at least working at it. Such was the tale of my day at the club yesterday; an entirely perfect day for golf with a full tee sheet no less right up to the point where the wheels began to fall off.

>

> They have been having issues with the phones for about as long as i've worked there. I'm not sure what the problem is, but I'm guessing that it's aging infrastructure that was added to over time. Repairs are becoming shorter lived and the most recent suggestion was replacing the switchboard with a rebuilt model of lower capacity becuase what's there now is overkill.

>

> Then, over the course of about a month, we've been having issues with blowing breakers. The electrical panel is a bit of a dog's breakfast with sub-panels here there and everywhere. At best, it appears that there's a 70 A service to the clubhouse and that's probably the problem as load demands have increased over time. On Monday, they were on stand-by power which put the kibosch on food service. Sometime yesterday early in the morning the breaker to the food prep center blew and that was without power until Brenda went to make something for a customer. The refrigerator in the prep center was up to 60°F, so all the meat and cheese and salads had to be thrown out! Ahh, but it didn't stop there...

>

> I went up to the clubhouse after lunch and found the health inspector there and a guy from the water department as the monthly water test had failed. By now, it's close to full panic mode! They were given a reprieve upon a retest taking place today and the food service area passed with flying colours, so we're still in business for another day which had everyone on edge as there was a food tournament last night that could have been killed if they were shut down. I think it helped that the food for the tournament was outsources and had been brought in and was stored in separate refrigerators from the prep center and beverage cooler in the service area.

>

> I was really impressed with how everyone handled this situation. The calm demeanor on the part of Jeff (superintendant) is reassuring to the rest of us. That said, it's pretty clear to me that some major upgrades are going to be necessary in the off-season to solve some of these problems. I'm not sure what the plan will be comsidering the rough start to the year with the weather and the impact it had on cashflow.

>

> It doesn't matter whether you're running a dairy farm, a golf course or a nursery, we're all slaves to the same basic realities of business. The end product maybe different, but we all have to deal with the same set of challenges.

Sounds as if it was an interesting day, the realities of business are sometimes forgotten until they raise their silly heads and bite you on the backside. I know my local club had many problems caused by lack of funds and poor decision making, fortunately that changed with a committee change, but now they have removed several tees, only general and ladies, because it cost too much for maintenance and they have also reduced the number of ground staff to a bare minimum. Hopefully it will now improve as there have been several times when it looked as if the club would have to close.

• Like 2

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

> @Wriggles said:

> Besides a few skins, etc, never won anything. When i was in college (age 31) in 1983, I was invited to an accountant society meeting in Pittsburgh by a professor. When I thanked him for the invite, he negated it by saying I was the only student who was local. Everyone else was on Christmas break and had gone home. I guess I wasn't his favorite student. He was the guy who later, after graduation, told me that if I could only get a minimum wage job, that's all I was worth. Interesting perspective, on supply and demand. He was right, in a way. No Big 8, and major corporate positions out there for a 32 year old steelworker turned junior accountant, with no connections.

> Anyhow, i go the meeting with the guy, he drove, and the college paid for the dinner. I won ($27) in the 50-50 drawing, and also the door prize of a $40 gift certificate to Christopher's, a very swanky restaurant in Pittsburgh. Haven't won anything since. It was a good night, all in all.

> A buddy and I used the gift certificate, no lady prospects at the time. The bill was over $50, even in 1984.

> Cheers!

>

I got lucky and won B flight in our club tourney twice. The first time it paid out $300. 2nd time the club was basicly broke, I got a cool trophy.

Best I could ever do in the county open was one shot out of the money. I've also done that twice.

I've been on several teams that placed first in scrambles. Any money won there always gets donated back to the chairity, but I;ve got Pro V's, shirts, clubs and once a year YMCA membership.

Obviously I have spent way more on tourneys, than I have received in winnings, but the individual stroke play events really get the ole adrenalin flowing.

• Like 2

> @BicknellCC said:

> > @Wriggles said:

> > Besides a few skins, etc, never won anything. When i was in college (age 31) in 1983, I was invited to an accountant society meeting in Pittsburgh by a professor. When I thanked him for the invite, he negated it by saying I was the only student who was local. Everyone else was on Christmas break and had gone home. I guess I wasn't his favorite student. He was the guy who later, after graduation, told me that if I could only get a minimum wage job, that's all I was worth. Interesting perspective, on supply and demand. He was right, in a way. No Big 8, and major corporate positions out there for a 32 year old steelworker turned junior accountant, with no connections.

> > Anyhow, i go the meeting with the guy, he drove, and the college paid for the dinner. I won ($27) in the 50-50 drawing, and also the door prize of a $40 gift certificate to Christopher's, a very swanky restaurant in Pittsburgh. Haven't won anything since. It was a good night, all in all.

> > A buddy and I used the gift certificate, no lady prospects at the time. The bill was over $50, even in 1984.

> > Cheers!

> >

>

> I got lucky and won B flight in our club tourney twice. The first time it paid out $300. 2nd time the club was basicly broke, I got a cool trophy.

> Best I could ever do in the county open was one shot out of the money. I've also done that twice.

> I've been on several teams that placed first in scrambles. Any money won there always gets donated back to the chairity, but I;ve got Pro V's, shirts, clubs and once a year YMCA membership.

> Obviously I have spent way more on tourneys, than I have received in winnings, but the individual stroke play events really get the ole adrenalin flowing.

>

I probably could show a respectable game, if I played in competition, once I got used to playing in competition. Years ago, I'd have a good game going, then mess up a hole or two, to finish up with a poor final score. More often than not, I just could never keep the rhythm. I belonged to an older men's league for years, and most of the time I was one of the captains. We played points quota, so a 10 on a blow up hole didn't count. That league was a great bunch of guys, just withered away with attrition, and no new additions.

Everyone I know says I'm a pretty good golfer. I attribute any good golf I've played to an "I don't care attitude." The other day, the President of the club, also self proclaimed greenskeeper, was riding along changing pin placement. As he approaches the 4th green, he sees me, hitting my tee shot. A screamer, with the "new" driver, I paced off 250. A wedge on the green, and 2 putt for par, with him watching. We exchange a few words, I continue on. He's on the 5th green, when I tee off on #6. Shouts that I'm really hitting the ball. I thank him, and continue on.

At least, I showed some degree of competence this time. More times that I can count, I've duffed balls, missed very short putts, and looked like I never played before.

That is the game of golf.

• Like 2

> @Wriggles said:

> > @BicknellCC said:

> > > @Wriggles said:

> > > Besides a few skins, etc, never won anything. When i was in college (age 31) in 1983, I was invited to an accountant society meeting in Pittsburgh by a professor. When I thanked him for the invite, he negated it by saying I was the only student who was local. Everyone else was on Christmas break and had gone home. I guess I wasn't his favorite student. He was the guy who later, after graduation, told me that if I could only get a minimum wage job, that's all I was worth. Interesting perspective, on supply and demand. He was right, in a way. No Big 8, and major corporate positions out there for a 32 year old steelworker turned junior accountant, with no connections.

> > > Anyhow, i go the meeting with the guy, he drove, and the college paid for the dinner. I won ($27) in the 50-50 drawing, and also the door prize of a $40 gift certificate to Christopher's, a very swanky restaurant in Pittsburgh. Haven't won anything since. It was a good night, all in all.

> > > A buddy and I used the gift certificate, no lady prospects at the time. The bill was over $50, even in 1984.

> > > Cheers!

> > >

> >

> > I got lucky and won B flight in our club tourney twice. The first time it paid out $300. 2nd time the club was basicly broke, I got a cool trophy.

> > Best I could ever do in the county open was one shot out of the money. I've also done that twice.

> > I've been on several teams that placed first in scrambles. Any money won there always gets donated back to the chairity, but I;ve got Pro V's, shirts, clubs and once a year YMCA membership.

> > Obviously I have spent way more on tourneys, than I have received in winnings, but the individual stroke play events really get the ole adrenalin flowing.

> >

>

> I probably could show a respectable game, if I played in competition, once I got used to playing in competition. Years ago, I'd have a good game going, then mess up a hole or two, to finish up with a poor final score. More often than not, I just could never keep the rhythm. I belonged to an older men's league for years, and most of the time I was one of the captains. We played points quota, so a 10 on a blow up hole didn't count. That league was a great bunch of guys, just withered away with attrition, and no new additions.

> Everyone I know says I'm a pretty good golfer. I attribute any good golf I've played to an "I don't care attitude." The other day, the President of the club, also self proclaimed greenskeeper, was riding along changing pin placement. As he approaches the 4th green, he sees me, hitting my tee shot. A screamer, with the "new" driver, I paced off 250. A wedge on the green, and 2 putt for par, with him watching. We exchange a few words, I continue on. He's on the 5th green, when I tee off on #6. Shouts that I'm really hitting the ball. I thank him, and continue on.

> At least, I showed some degree of competence this time. More times that I can count, I've duffed balls, missed very short putts, and looked like I never played before.

> That is the game of golf.

>

@wriggles

You could probably beat me 9 out of ten times if we played. I think I either can't focus long enough, or just can't stand success. Maybe I don't feel I deserve to shoot low scores.

Your comment about the men's league reminds me of our noon game. It has shrunk from 40 players being a big game to anything over 25 seeming huge. We usually get at least 16 guys.

The youngest to play with any frequency is my nephew who is 34, I may be next in the youth catagory, and I am 57.

There are only a few others under the age of 60, who like myself still play from the tips. Most are over 60 and play from the middle tees, the 75 and over guys can play from the most forward.

Guys quit due to poor health, and no one replaces them.

• Like 2

Got a nice quiet serene 18 in yesterday evening. Course was almost empty. Teed off at 5 and no one in front of me the whole way. Nothing great, but nothing terrible.

Wriggs is blasting that driver out there ! I am kinda liking the M4 i got. It isn't that much farther than my R9,but it sure seems to find the short grass most of the time.

Irons are in a routine,with mostly good shots,and the "less than good" ones are still in play. See many more signs of the coming season change. More trees are losing their all green color and the Sumac is turning bright red. Wont be long !

• Like 2

Certified Orginal Member#2
Outlaw Golf Association
To Heck with the USGA

> @scotee said:

> Not much to brag about in my game right now. Good shots and bad. Wish I was more consistent. But can I brag again about my SIL? He did it again. He came back from a 78 in round one with two 69's to win his Club Championship by one in a very strong field.

> eto0yn4ehe82.png

>

>

Well done to your SIL scotee, nice to see one of our group with really good golf stories. Two rounds under par is plenty to boast about.??

• Like 2

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

> @billh17 said:

> Got a nice quiet serene 18 in yesterday evening. Course was almost empty. Teed off at 5 and no one in front of me the whole way. Nothing great, but nothing terrible.

> Wriggs is blasting that driver out there ! I am kinda liking the M4 i got. It isn't that much farther than my R9,but it sure seems to find the short grass most of the time.

> Irons are in a routine,with mostly good shots,and the "less than good" ones are still in play. **See many more signs of the coming season change. More trees are losing their all green color and the Sumac is turning bright red. Wont be long !**

What a difference a few degrees of latitude makes. No sign of an impending fall season here yet in these parts although the calendar says we're well on our way and the fruit tree's bounty has been pretty much on schedule. We're actually smack dab in the middle of a bout of southern weather with lots of heat, humidity and thunderboomers!

Went to a wedding last night. This one was a bit different in that the groom is 76 and the bride 70. Both are members of the curling club and have know each other for years. It's the forth wife for Larry and second husband for Diane. She sure must be brave considering that her new husband has buried all his previous wives! And no, his middle name isn't Henry... :tongue:

And on the marrying front, my cousin is hosting a garden party today to celebrate the engagement of her eldest daughter and her grandson. It seems that both mother and son are going to get hitched together. How's that for flaunting the limits of traditional?

Had you for a moment, didn't I? Mother and her boyfriend got engaged the same weekend as son and his girlfriend. Son is getting married in 2020 and mother will be getting hitched in 2021 or so I'm told. My cousin seems quite pleased with all this. She could use a bit of a lift having lost her own partner 3 years ago. She certainly was in fine form last night and that made me smile!

• Like 2

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

> @scomac2002 said:

> > @billh17 said:

> > Got a nice quiet serene 18 in yesterday evening. Course was almost empty. Teed off at 5 and no one in front of me the whole way. Nothing great, but nothing terrible.

> > Wriggs is blasting that driver out there ! I am kinda liking the M4 i got. It isn't that much farther than my R9,but it sure seems to find the short grass most of the time.

> > Irons are in a routine,with mostly good shots,and the "less than good" ones are still in play. **See many more signs of the coming season change. More trees are losing their all green color and the Sumac is turning bright red. Wont be long !**

>

> What a difference a few degrees of latitude makes. No sign of an impending fall season here yet in these parts although the calendar says we're well on our way and the fruit tree's bounty has been pretty much on schedule. We're actually smack dab in the middle of a bout of southern weather with lots of heat, humidity and thunderboomers!

>

> Went to a wedding last night. This one was a bit different in that the groom is 76 and the bride 70. Both are members of the curling club and have know each other for years. It's the forth wife for Larry and second husband for Diane. She sure must be brave considering that her new husband has buried all his previous wives! And no, his middle name isn't Henry... :tongue:

>

> And on the marrying front, my cousin is hosting a garden party today to celebrate the engagement of her eldest daughter and her grandson. It seems that both mother and son are going to get hitched together. How's that for flaunting the limits of traditional?

>

> Had you for a moment, didn't I? Mother and her boyfriend got engaged the same weekend as son and his girlfriend. Son is getting married in 2020 and mother will be getting hitched in 2021 or so I'm told. My cousin seems quite pleased with all this. She could use a bit of a lift having lost her own partner 3 years ago. She certainly was in fine form last night and that made me smile!

>

>

I know many who lose their partner remarry, but after the life I have with my wife I could not imagine being with anyone else. We were only last night talking about our time together, the troubles we have had, loss of jobs, house repossessed through no fault of our own. We have always been a team, we have always supported each other no matter what, we have always been totally faithful in deeds and thoughts. Sounds like a fairy tale but that is what our life has been.

Good luck to the elderly engaged couple, hope this is their time to find lasting happiness. Good luck and fortune to the youngsters, life is a challenge, hope they come up winners.

We are in the change over from winter to spring, weather is warming, nights still a little cool but daytime is in the low to mid seventies. Summer soon then the fun begins, we are NOT cold weather people.

• Like 2

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

Over 24 hrs and no posts in the Grille, bet you are all over at Scos place celebrating the newly engaged couples. Stay sober and try to post in a manner we can understand. Suppose that depends on how much wine you have had.

• Like 2

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

• GwrxMod changed the title to Clubhouse Grille (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS ***)