Slow Swing speeds, what ball do you use?

ghoul31

I'm talking about peak downrange trajectory, not initial launch angle which is simply an inverse function of spin.

In the Site Which Must Not Be Named here is the Max Height: Driver stats for selected balls at 85mph:

Z-Star (Yellow) 70

Z-Star 66

Z-Star XV 66

Q-Star Tour 66

Pro V1x 65

Pro V1 64

AVX 62

At 115mph:

Z-Star (Yellow) 124

Z-Star XV 124

Z-Star 116

Pro V1 115

Pro V1x 112

Q-Star Tour 109

AVX 108

I would say the pattern in those numbers are somewhat different than what I've observed in my own game.

All the more reason each guy has to weigh the marketing claims vs his reality. It took me a long time to realize the added height from most surlyn balls helped me more than the reduced spin around the green hurt me. Whatever the claims may be the golf scores are the final measure. All the design that goes into a Pro V model is lost on me at my skill level, swing speed and practice time.

> @"North Butte" said:

> I'm talking about peak downrange trajectory, not initial launch angle which is simply an inverse function of spin.

>

> In the Site Which Must Not Be Named here is the Max Height: Driver stats for selected balls at 85mph:

> Z-Star (Yellow) 70

> Z-Star 66

> Z-Star XV 66

> Q-Star Tour 66

> Pro V1x 65

> Pro V1 64

> AVX 62

>

> At 115mph:

> Z-Star (Yellow) 124

> Z-Star XV 124

> Z-Star 116

> Pro V1 115

> Pro V1x 112

> Q-Star Tour 109

> AVX 108

>

> I would say the pattern in those numbers are somewhat different than what I've observed in my own game.

The difference in height across balls is not that different, but it is interesting that some of the higher/lower relationships flip with swing speed. Do you find it questionable that the same ball can be optimized (i.e. the best, not necessarily just height) in one particular aspect (say driver flight or iron flight) for someone swinging 115 mph and for someone swinging 95 mph?

Of course, any ball is going to leave you with trade-offs in different parts of the game. And the short game is the one area where theoretically the average recreational player can be the "same" as the pros (maybe not with skill but the club is moving at basically the same speed for a 20 yard pitch whether you carry your driver 200 or 300 yards).

But is it also possible that Titleist, as the incumbent, had the least incentive to offer a different premium ball? I.e. is a $35 / dozen urethane ball really going to make them more money vs. just selling the sheep the same ProV1/X that is already produced in truckloads? And you get to tell them it's the same ball that Jordan Spieth, etc all play.

I am not sure, as there a lot of LPGA players playing ProV1/X that are swinging somewhere in the 90-100 mph range, and I think they would use something better if it existed. Said another way, the ProV may still be the "best overall package" for these players or any other player. Titleist did also create the AVX, although from what little I've read I don't see this being targeted specifically towards the moderate speed players (lower spin and lower height seem like an undesirable combo for an average player).

This topic is start to become ball test thread 2.0.

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Ping PLD Ally Blue 4

Titleist Pro V1x

> @agolf1 said:

> > @"North Butte" said:

> > I would say the pattern in those numbers are somewhat different than what I've observed in my own game.

> The difference in height across balls is not that different, but it is interesting that some of the higher/lower relationships flip with swing speed. Do you find it questionable that the same ball can be optimized (i.e. the best, not necessarily just height) in one particular aspect (say driver flight or iron flight) for someone swinging 115 mph and for someone swinging 95 mph?

My "somewhat different" comment just meant that in my own game, the Pro V1x peak trajectory is noticeably higher than Pro V1, AVX and Z-Star (I've only used older Srixon versions). That's not hugely different than the 85mph swing speed robot results but for my high-80's swing I'd have thought if the others were in the 65 feet range Pro V1x would be at least 70 or maybe more.

But I'm not surprised that which ball is higher or lower than the others is different at 115mph than at 85mph. I would expect that to be true to some extent.

Their yellow Z-star results were just strange all around, not sure what to make of that. Perhaps a paint difference? Don't know.

> @agolf1 said:

> > @xkilgorextroutx said:

> > > @agolf1 said:

> > > > @"North Butte" said:

> > > > > @" SwooshLT" said:

> > > > > > @"North Butte" said:

> > > > > > Maybe 90mph driver swing on a good day. Driver 205-ish, hit 6-iron from 150.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Pro V1x but I have played AVX, B330, TP5 with pretty much similar results to my favorite V1x.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Also played the Chrome Soft for a while but it seemed to fly a little low and sometimes have trouble holding greens (or maybe I just didn't give it a long enough chance to know for sure).

> > > > >

> > > > > Similar to you. ..have you tried Srixon Qstar Tour?

> > > >

> > > > Nope, sure haven't.

> > > >

> > > > Only Srixons I've tried were the original Z-Star and I think one sleeve of the Z-Star SL they made for a while.

> > > Any reason why you don't try the QST? I am interested in this one once the stash of surlyn balls is gone. I am hoping it is like the soft surlyn balls with a tad more spin.

> >

> > My driver SS is right around 95, and I just love the QST. Definitely better stopping power around the greens than a comparably priced surlyn ball. When you don't generate enough speed to get those towering wedge shots, you need all the help you can get holding greens. I always found that 2 piece "soft" balls tended to bounce and roll out far too much for me on approach shots.

> I definitely plan to give them a try / my speed is similar. For me, the difference in run-out (between balls) on full swing iron / wedge shots is not that much. I'd say 5 yards at most and a lot of the times 2-3 yards or less. I don't think there is that much difference in spin (maybe 500-1000 rpms, which is like 1-2 clubs) and the surlyn balls tend to fly higher (vs. ProV1 or TP5), which negatives some of the spin difference. With the partial wedge shots there is definitely a difference. I am still debating whether it matters in terms of score.

>

> Any others besides the QST that you like? The Snell MTB Black is also on my list to try, although the QST seems to have more characteristics that I like.

I still have some of the B330-RX balls and I really like those as well. Bridgestones have always performed well for me, going back to the E6 that was probably my favorite ball before they split it off into 2 lines. Haven't tried the new Tour B RX to see if it's the same for me as the older ball. I had originally tried the first Snell release and found it too hard/clicky for my tastes but I know the newer versions have definitely improved on that.

I don't even take my swing speed into consideration when chooseing a ball. If it doesn't feel good off the putter and irons I'm not using it. Feel off the putter is the most important aspect of a ball as far as I'm concerned.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

Callaway 2007 X-Forged 5-PW/ PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 / Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2.5+ 

Life is like riding a bicycle, to keep your balance you must keep moving

So funny how we are all different. That is the last thing I would ever think about. Wedge spin and driver distance for me.

I do play and Odyssey putter with a face insert so maybe everything feels good to me, but the sound the ball makes off a putter to me has zero impact on how I play golf.

> @lawsonman said:

> I don't even take my swing speed into consideration when chooseing a ball. If it doesn't feel good off the putter and irons I'm not using it. Feel off the putter is the most important aspect of a ball as far as I'm concerned.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

> @dlygrisse said:

> So funny how we are all different. That is the last thing I would ever think about. Wedge spin and driver distance for me.

> I do play and Odyssey putter with a face insert so maybe everything feels good to me, but the sound the ball makes off a putter to me has zero impact on how I play golf

>

Being extreme hear but you can't hear/feel the difference that a molitor ball makes from a prov?

> @lawsonman said:

> I don't even take my swing speed into consideration when chooseing a ball. If it doesn't feel good off the putter and irons I'm not using it. Feel off the putter is the most important aspect of a ball as far as I'm concerned.

Speaking of Dave Pelz did a study years ago, on a 30 ft putt a harder ball will roll 3 ft further than a typical softer ball.... these things make a difference

> @dlygrisse said:

> So funny how we are all different. That is the last thing I would ever think about. Wedge spin and driver distance for me.

> I do play and Odyssey putter with a face insert so maybe everything feels good to me, but the sound the ball makes off a putter to me has zero impact on how I play golf.

> > @lawsonman said:

> > I don't even take my swing speed into consideration when chooseing a ball. If it doesn't feel good off the putter and irons I'm not using it. Feel off the putter is the most important aspect of a ball as far as I'm concerned.

>

>

You're so right. With me, I've noticed very little difference in distance with any ball I've played. I have to like the feel of the ball off the putter or my lag putting goes in the crapper. I can spin anything so I can adjust around the greens.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

Callaway 2007 X-Forged 5-PW/ PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 / Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2.5+ 

Life is like riding a bicycle, to keep your balance you must keep moving

93-95mph for me and I have recently switched from the AVX to the ProV1X and have picked up close to 10 yards. I found the data on the MGS ball test too conclusive to ignore. Of course distance can change based on spin numbers, but lack of compression is king as far as distance is concerned. It feels like a rock, but I'll take score over feel.

Ping G410 LST Tour 65 S
Ping G25 3W Fubuki Alpha S
Callaway Apex 1-3-5 Hybrids
Ping G410 6-GW Modus 105 S
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54/58
Evenroll 2.2 Mid Blade
Titleist ProV1X Yellow

> @Smallito said:

> 93-95mph for me and I have recently switched from the AVX to the ProV1X and have picked up close to 10 yards. I found the data on the **** ball test too conclusive to ignore. Of course distance can change based on spin numbers, but lack of compression is king as far as distance is concerned. It feels like a rock, but I'll take score over feel.

I find the softer compression of the AVX interesting and could likely play just fine with less spin (vs. the ProVs). However, I can't imagine the ball flight with this thing is going to be very good for moderate speed players (too low). Do you find a noticeable difference in the trajectory of your iron shots?

I'd also say that +10 yards for any ball has something more going on than just compression. Obviously there could be some interplay between all of these factors but to pickup that much seems like there's some factors like launch, spin, and height for a particular ball that are just a better match with one's swing/driver than those of another ball.

The 2 balls that work best for me are the Q star tour and Chrome soft.

I've mostly been using the Q star tour because its $15 cheaper.

Driver swing speed ave is 97.

• Like 1

Callaway mavrik max 10.5

Callaway mavrik max 3 & 5 wood
Ping g30  26* & 30* hybrids
Ping i200 6 - UW

Ping glide 54* & 60* wedges
Odyssey #7 putter

Driver ss is about 92-95

Hit the driver 230-240, std 150-155 7 iron

For the first time ever, I've stuck with the same ball all summer and it's paid dividends. Lower scores and more birdies than ever before.

Titleist Pro V1 2017. I've bought several boxes at the "discounted" $39.99 rate ;-)

I've had pretty good success with the SuperSoft and Chrome Soft as well. Started playing ProV1x last year, but ultimately the std ProV1 has been the most consistent.

Average low-mid 90's player, HC 22

D - 10.5° Paradym Ai Smoke Ventus TR Blue 5

F - 20° Paradym Heavenwood Ventus TR Blue 7
H - 22° CLK 2020 
Tensei CK Blue 80

I - 5-G JPX 923 HM KBS Tour Lite

W - 54/58 CBX2 Black Satin KBS HI-REV 2.0 115
P - Toulon Seattle w/ H1 Hosel

B - Titleist Pro V1

ALL CARRIED, DRUG OR DRIVEN IN A...BIG MAX DRi LiTe <-HYBRID-> Golf Bag

I recently switched to the pro v1x which I never would have considered trying prior to the mygolfspy article. The article is what it is with room for interpretation from many, but the ball seems to work for me. Now, it could be that I was "told" the ball would likely perform well for me, which is why I feel it does, or because the ball is actually performing for my swing speeds. I don't have a launch monitor to perform an actual test, but I do know I love the height, greenside control, and ability to hold greens of the v1x. My driver speed is around 90-95. I will say I'm interested in trying the QST so I may have to give them a try after so many positive comments!

Interestingly enough driver swing speed does not have a high level of importance when it comes to the golf ball. I prefer to focus on spin into and around the green rather than what happens off my driver. Generally the average player will hit more iron and wedge shots compared to the amount of times they hit driver. Focus more on performance rather than numbers.

> @OhioGolfDude said:

> Driver ss is about 92-95

> Hit the driver 230-240, std 150-155 7 iron

> For the first time ever, I've stuck with the same ball all summer and it's paid dividends. Lower scores and more birdies than ever before.

> Titleist Pro V1 2017. I've bought several boxes at the "discounted" $39.99 rate ;-)

> I've had pretty good success with the SuperSoft and Chrome Soft as well. Started playing ProV1x last year, but ultimately the std ProV1 has been the most consistent.

> Average low-mid 90's player, HC 22

These are legit, just played a round sat with them and had my most consistent distance this year. Will try the straightflis on friday

> @golfkid225 said:

> Interestingly enough driver swing speed does not have a high level of importance when it comes to the golf ball. I prefer to focus on spin into and around the green rather than what happens off my driver. Generally the average player will hit more iron and wedge shots compared to the amount of times they hit driver. Focus more on performance rather than numbers.

Doesnt matter if ur constantly hitting 5 irons to the green or hitting them OB cuz they spin too much off driver.

I just played a 6500 yard course and used the softfli. I dont think I hit anything less than an 7 or 8 iron into a green and those stop just fine regardless of the ball type.

This thread is a great idea because after reading the marketing from manufacturers I got very confused as in these days all are long, spin a lot and are soft, perhaps the only key difference is price.

I like the Chrome Soft but mostly I use a cheap local (Australian) ball called Optima CS (competition spin) with very good results. In the past, I used Srixon Tri-Speed Tour, Bridgestone e6 and Volvik Crystal. Anything that is not white by the way. My SS is around 90