Blade users thread (NO DEBATING CLUBHEADS! NO Buy Sell Trade!)

Bigmean

The real interesting thing about where Ping is headed is they designed their clubs so they can custom weight them to desire via their goo port. The Blueprints are solid blades (from what limited hitting done) and the fact I can specify weighting to desire along with other things, makes them real attractive to me.

Btw took the VR Pro's out for a more intense range session, they are really good.

• Like 1

I currently have the following blades in my collection:

2001 Maxfli Australian Blades - not forged, but very pretty and quite usuable

Mizuno MP33 - my favorite Mizuno blades

Mizuno MS-1

Mizuno TP-9

Macgregor V-Foil 1025M

Mizuno TP-21 Prototype - these popped up on Facebook (I kid you not) in a golf group I am a member of, young guy in Southampton, UK selling them. He's a bit of an ebay wheeler dealer and I had traded stuff with him before and advised him on some rarer and/or more vintage clubs or gear he had managed to acquire from contacts in the game. He sent me a pic of these Mizuno's asking if I knew anything about them, he said the guy who sold them to him claimed they were a prototype given to a Mizuno Staff player back in the 90's. As soon as I saw them, I wanted them, 1-PW in very decent condition with Brunswick Rifle stepless 5.5 shafts on them. Did the deal but I've never been able to find anything much about them, I use them maybe once a year.

gx01qmtu4sgj.jpg

• Like 1

> @Nard_S said:

> The real interesting thing about where Ping is headed is they designed their clubs so they can custom weight them to desire via their goo port. The Blueprints are solid blades (from what limited hitting done) and the fact I can specify weighting to desire along with other things, makes them real attractive to me.

>

> Btw took the VR Pro's out for a more intense range session, they are really good.

That’s an interesting thought. From my experience with my Mac VIP Limited’s, which feel really heavy to swing but give me good dispersion, testing different swingweights with the same club could be very beneficial.

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Fubuki ZT Stiff
Callaway XR Speed 3W Project X HZRDUS T800 65 Stiff
Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 21* Hybrid Aldila RIP Stiff
Cobra King CB/MB Flow 4-6, 7-PW C-Taper Stiff or Mizuno MP4 4-PW
Vokey SM8 52/58; MD Golf 56
Radius Classic 8

> @mahonie said:

> > @Nard_S said:

> > The real interesting thing about where Ping is headed is they designed their clubs so they can custom weight them to desire via their goo port. The Blueprints are solid blades (from what limited hitting done) and the fact I can specify weighting to desire along with other things, makes them real attractive to me.

> >

> > Btw took the VR Pro's out for a more intense range session, they are really good.

>

> That’s an interesting thought. From my experience with my Mac VIP Limited’s, which feel really heavy to swing but give me good dispersion, testing different swingweights with the same club could be very beneficial.

>

Basically my next phase of hoedom is to do experiments with weighting and shaft profiles. Dowels, plugs head and handle side. My frustration with going rogue and buying sets is I can't feel them. They might be set "right" but who knows? You buy Miura you probably get solid numbers and specs, you buy old Macs, Mizuno's or maybe even Hogan's you might get lighter sided heads or you get more tour weighted variety. And with new gear it's the same. TW P7 irons are not Tiger weighted, certainly not like the T stamp was. So what Ping can do here is make a set C9 w/ graphite or D5 with X100's or any combo in-between. And do it with a forged blades no less. Pretty cool

• Like 2

> @No_Catchy_Nickname said:

> > @Bigmean said:

> > KC, the akira can be had for a song on auctions, sometimes in 200s. I was never drawn to them but another blade you can steal that it’s always intrigued me is the BALDO MB (I want to say 12 or some number after it?). They are flyer prices but seen plenty in $300s and supposedly forged and look really clean to me. I haven’t hit baldo anything so who knows...

> >

> > Akira also has the weapon to win putters from Masuda-San (Masda) If I am not mistaken(I may be). That always catches my eye....

>

> Baldo MB-11 Prototypes? I have a set...

> Akira/Masda Weapon to win putter? I have one...

>

> The putter is a heel-shafted half mallet. Nice, but the lie is a little flat for me.

>

Yeah, the mb11 proto (I was trying to update it I guess).

Yessir. What is the deal on them, just another blade, nothing to write home about? I always liked the clean look on them on photos.....

> @Bigmean said:

> > @No_Catchy_Nickname said:

> > > @Bigmean said:

> > > KC, the akira can be had for a song on auctions, sometimes in 200s. I was never drawn to them but another blade you can steal that it’s always intrigued me is the BALDO MB (I want to say 12 or some number after it?). They are flyer prices but seen plenty in $300s and supposedly forged and look really clean to me. I haven’t hit baldo anything so who knows...

> > >

> > > Akira also has the weapon to win putters from Masuda-San (Masda) If I am not mistaken(I may be). That always catches my eye....

> >

> > Baldo MB-11 Prototypes? I have a set...

> > Akira/Masda Weapon to win putter? I have one...

> >

> > The putter is a heel-shafted half mallet. Nice, but the lie is a little flat for me.

> >

>

> Yeah, the mb11 proto (I was trying to update it I guess).

>

> Yessir. What is the deal on them, just another blade, nothing to write home about? I always liked the clean look on them on photos.....

I got them fairly soon before I knackered my back in, so I haven't hit them much. They are shafted with Modus 120S, which I didn't like before but might like after I get back into the game with a slower swing speed. When I did hit them at the range, I liked their feel (not overly soft and pretty solid) and liked them at address. They have a bit of offset, probably enough to put the "no offset" crowd off. I bought them to flip, to be honest, and I do intend to put them up for auction. I've seen sets in worse condition -- and without the 3i --- go for between 45,000 and 50,000 yen, so I've got high hopes for my set.

> @Nard_S said:

> > @mahonie said:

> > > @Nard_S said:

> > > The real interesting thing about where Ping is headed is they designed their clubs so they can custom weight them to desire via their goo port. The Blueprints are solid blades (from what limited hitting done) and the fact I can specify weighting to desire along with other things, makes them real attractive to me.

> > >

> > > Btw took the VR Pro's out for a more intense range session, they are really good.

> >

> > That’s an interesting thought. From my experience with my Mac VIP Limited’s, which feel really heavy to swing but give me good dispersion, testing different swingweights with the same club could be very beneficial.

> >

> Basically my next phase of hoedom is to do experiments with weighting and shaft profiles. Dowels, plugs head and handle side. My frustration with going rogue and buying sets is I can't feel them. They might be set "right" but who knows? You buy Miura you probably get solid numbers and specs, you buy old Macs, Mizuno's or maybe even Hogan's you might get lighter sided heads or you get more tour weighted variety. And with new gear it's the same. TW P7 irons are not Tiger weighted, certainly not like the T stamp was. So what Ping can do here is make a set C9 w/ graphite or D5 with X100's or any combo in-between. And do it with a forged blades no less. Pretty cool

>

I’ll be interested to read what you learn... Shafts remain the great unknown for me. I just seem to hit a wide range of shafts the same. Or maybe my swing has so much variance in it that this overwhelms whatever shafts contribute - except for the first time yesterday I could see a difference - have kbs tour-v in mp-4 and c-taper lite in Adams mb2. About the same weight but I definitely hit the c-taper higher (which I need) than the tour-v. Which is consistent with what the charts say should happen. We’ll see if this repeats and holds true..

Titlest Tsi2, 10*, GD ADDI 5
Titleist TSi2 16.5 GD ADDI 5

Callaway X-hot pro 3, 4 h
TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

3 Handicap - Playing my first set of blades: Cobra CB/MB combos. Love them. Confidence when looking down is key, as well as enjoying the feel and feedback. However, looking to switch into Ping Blueprints in the near future!

• Like 1

10.5˚ TaylorMade Stealth Plus

18° Titleist TSR2 5 Wood

21° Titleist TSR2 7 Wood

4-PW Titleist T100s Black

50˚ Titleist SM8 Black

54˚ Titleist SM8 Black

60˚ Titleist SM8 Black

Bettinardi Hive 8.0

Bridgestone Tour B-XS

I think 2020 will be the blade resurgence. I feel like 2018-19 belonged to the hollow body irons but I think there has been an overwhelming outcry for modern style blades. I think in 2020 we will see classic looking blades with modern twists. Wider soles, tungsten weighting and possibly more tech in the muscle to give tour feel with added distance and forgiveness without such strong lofts.

• Like 1

> @LowAndLeft32 said:

> My question is has anyone significantly reduced their handicap after switching to blades? Serious question.

The only thing that ever significantly reduced my hdcp was a better game.

TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

> @LowAndLeft32 said:

> My question is has anyone significantly reduced their handicap after switching to blades? Serious question.

Yep

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/comment/10719605#Comment_10719605

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S -or- TEE CBX 17*, HZRDUS 85 6.0

2 iron:  Arias D-23, Modus3 120 S; Mizuno MP-20 HMB, NS Pro 950 R

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3), Wilson Triad

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

> @wmblake2000 said:

> > @LowAndLeft32 said:

> > My question is has anyone significantly reduced their handicap after switching to blades? Serious question.

>

> The only thing that ever significantly reduced my hdcp was a better game.

>

>

Not sure how significant you are looking for but I literally can't hit anything but blades and I by no means have the best swing or shoot the best! But let me tell you it's all in what looks good at address and feels good. Got fit for some ap2 years ago and hit well at fitting then couldn't play with them to save my life for a year. About quit golf but I went back to 15-20 year old 690 blades and game has been rocking. Won't be changing away from blades anytime soon

• Like 1

Ping G430 10.5° LST Ping Tour 2.0 Black

Titleist TSR2 15° HZRDUS Black

Titleist TSR3 19° HZRDUS Black

PXG Gen5T 4-GW KBS Tour Stiff

Mizuno T24 56 & 60 S400

Piretti GOAT

> @LowAndLeft32 said:

> Thanks @NRJyzr so how do I know which blades to get? Looks like you have been through a few sets.

That's the big question. :)

There's no simple answer that can be applied across the board. It really depends on your swing and your preferences. Do you prefer little bounce or more bounce? Do you like longer heel to toe clubheads, or a more compact look? Do you like a softer feel, or a more crisp feel?

I went through a fair bit of trial and error, but a lot of that was toy fever. I'd largely decided on Ram Tour Grinds, but kept dallying with others. I've got short arms and therefore have a slightly steeper swing than average, bounce is something I like fairly well for that reason. I don't care for Titleist, so they were never a consideration. When I first shopped, there was a set of Apex II blades, but regular flex, not a fit. Ironic, since the Hogan bounce would be good for me, LOL.

Are you looking at recent models? Something in the last decade? Do older sets interest you at all?

All that drivel aside, if you can find them, MP-33s are a real good set to start with, a real classic. TM TP MBs, either 2011 or 2014 model, are also good. Several recent Wilson Staff sets (FG100, FG59, FG62, etc) are excellent. The Hogan Ft Worths get good buzz, but one needs to be aware they have a high CG, which may or may not be good for you. Cobra stuff of the last several years, also quite good. And Srixons, and....

I could go on for a while. :) Sorry for the varied answer, but there are a lot of variables...

Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

Thanks for the recs @NRJyzr. I’m trying to buy a game?? Is that possible? I have always played GIs. Have hit blades at the big box stores for fun. Noticed a big distance loss which I assume is due to the the jacked up lofts of GIs. As far as blades are new blades better or worse than old school blades? Ive heard that VR pros and 681s are highly thought of. So I’m open.

Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5*

@LowAndLeft32

Buying a game isn't really possible. Well, I don't really believe in it, but it's not like I know everything. Just ask my first wife. :)

As for blades, the only way you'll know if they work for you is to try. I would suggest trying one or two clubs, which you might be able to find reasonably priced on ebay, and sometimes even on Ironfinder.com (not affiliated with Ironfinder, just a customer). Like a 6 iron, maybe adding an 8i, something like that. Maybe having GolfWorks build you one MMB club.

Or you can dive in with a full set of something.

I demoed a fair amount before buying my first set, including some extensive time with an MP14 5 iron. That was ultimately the convincing factor for me; I was hitting that 4* flat for me MP14 with DGS better than my own AVDP Tour with DGS 6 iron. And here I am.

Some think older sticks aren't as worthy, but I don't share that opinion. They're shorter if you pay attention to the club number, but that's misleading. The nice thing is, older blade sets are much more reasonably priced than even 8-10 year old TM/Nike/Srixon/Cobra/etc sets, so you're out very little. You may have to pick your spots a bit more with the older sticks, as some of them will be quite sharp with the leading edge. :)

> @luke1333 said:

> > @wmblake2000 said:

> > > @LowAndLeft32 said:

> > > My question is has anyone significantly reduced their handicap after switching to blades? Serious question.

> >

> > The only thing that ever significantly reduced my hdcp was a better game.

> >

> >

>

> Not sure how significant you are looking for but I literally can't hit anything but blades and I by no means have the best swing or shoot the best! But let me tell you it's all in what looks good at address and feels good. Got fit for some ap2 years ago and hit well at fitting then couldn't play with them to save my life for a year. About quit golf but I went back to 15-20 year old 690 blades and game has been rocking. Won't be changing away from blades anytime soon

I understand your enthusiasm! I had a set of P790 and never played well with them. Right now I have a set of Miz MP-4 & MP-64. I'm kinda in a phase where a little older club with great lines, design is real appealing. I love these two sets, and they can blend. I also just had a set of Adams MB2 for a few days, but took them back because too many incredible irons means some are sitting around and tormenting me to play them.

But after playing a LOT of different irons over several years, and a lot of everything else, I just think a better game (swing, short game, putting, etc) is 98% of the score unless you have clubs that are wildly wrong for you. Clubs just play a minor role in scoring compared to the skills you have.

I also don't think blade hurt my score, either. I actually have shoot most of my best scores with blades when I am hot (of course, when my swing is humming, I also play blades more often because they are more fun), but I probably think I score better with a little forgiveness when my swing is off. Hard to say, I don't track things that carefully.

TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

> @LowAndLeft32 said:

I dropped 9 strokes in 4 months. Was playing Eye2's and DCI, never could break 90 and always, I mean always hit out on the toe. So knowing that an MB does not tolerate such drivel, I switched to Ram Tour Grinds and forced myself to get under plane and inside. It actually worked, did the same for being slightly fat on passes too. Found some blunt brick soles of clubs, after 2 months, no fat. Thin was in, found high mass sticks, that took care of the thin miss tendency. Tend to have too early of release,? Switched to high kick shafts. Sounds daft, but I've gotten better by exposing my weakness not masking it. Do it in a measured fashion, it will work. MB's are like schnapps on a wound. Might sting a bit but you'll kill the infection.

> @LowAndLeft32 said:

My handicap has gone from 28.6 to 25 this summer after introducing blades into my bag. More importantly, my iron striking has improved tremendously. I’m averaging about 6 GIR a round, up from 1 - 2. I also play a tough course where my short hitting means I can’t realistically expect to reach 4 of the holes within GIR, so my numbers are actually better than they may seem. Long story short, my iron play is accurate and consistent and I can shape the ball—I attribute 100% of my growth to having introduced blades to my range practice, as they essentially teach you how to hit them/hit the middle of the face (since mishits are very visible and can’t just be ignored when swinging a blade, and repeating good contact means you’re grooving a swing that gets the middle on the ball).

If only I could learn to lag putt, I’d almost be an ok golfer. : )

It’s a low risk proposition to try blades. Find a cheap blade 6 iron like an MP-14 or Hogan Apex and see if you like it. If yes, there are tons of great sets out there for under $100, and more recent sets are still often under $300 on the used market. This year, I picked up an MP-14 6 iron for $15 on eBay, along with a set of 1988 Hogan Redlines for $60 and my current MP-4s for $280. You can try a good set of MBs without harming your piggy bank.

> @LowAndLeft32 said:

I've dropped from a 9 to an 8 in the month I've had my cobra cb/mb set. Came from an apex pro combo set but hated the size of the regular apex irons.

My last round I was -2 through 10 holes and managed to squander it under the pressure with wayward tee shots but it was my first under par 9.

These irons have significantly improved my ballstriking since my first round with them and I can see my cap continuing to drop.

Haha. You guys who improved from blades... aka “blades as a training aid” Fair enough.

That’s different from “this driver will add 23 yards.” It’s even different from the Callaway putter ad I keep hearing about “our new weight distribution will promote a better strike.” What I read you saying is “blades make me swing better because the require more precision.”

TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

> @wmblake2000 said:

> Haha. You guys who improved from blades... aka “blades as a training aid” Fair enough.

>

> That’s different from “this driver will add 23 yards.” It’s even different from the Callaway putter ad I keep hearing about “our new weight distribution will promote a better strike.” What I read you saying is “blades make me swing better because the require more precision.”

>

It's funny because I was in the same camp as a high single digit. Never even thought about trying one because of the stigma of them. Only reason I gave them a shot is they came up for a song on my local FB buy/sell so I figured if they didn't suit me they could be resold for a small profit on here. Have since sold my 2 other sets and the cobras remain.

The amt tour whites definitely suit me a lot more than the px lz's but for some reason looking down at these heads they inspire a whole lot more confidence than my previous GI sets and the confidence factor is what I believe is helping lower scores.

> @arobbins3 said:

> 3 Handicap - Playing my first set of blades: Cobra CB/MB combos. Love them. Confidence when looking down is key, as well as enjoying the feel and feedback. However, looking to switch into Ping Blueprints in the near future!

I love my Cobra Kings. I have tried and tried other blades but nothing can kick these babies out of the bag!

It seems I've become the owner of a set of MP-37s, with DGS300. the local 2nd Swing shop had a set, pretty clean. I had a meeting nearby, so on my way home, I stopped to check them out. A rather helpful 2nd Swing employee got me in one of the hitting bays, hooked up the launch monitor, I hit a few of the clubs, blah blah blah. They turned out to be stock lie angles, which were pretty flat, I had him bend them 2* up, and to a 20/23½/27 3i thru 5i, and 4* from there to the 47* PW. Yay me.

When I can, I'll see about taking a pic or two.

I'm playing golf Wednesday, these will be in the bag. :)

• Like 1