2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Cannot get ball to cut/fade

Hi all new here. So I have a problem... I cannot get the ball to fade right. I know it probably doesn't sound much like a problem lol but it is sometimes. I have a natural draw that sometimes goes a little bit further. I've tried everything. Grip change, open face, cut across the ball... All I can ever do is get it to go straight. Any advice would be helpful.

> @HappyTyTinVance said:

> Hi all new here. So I have a problem... I cannot get the ball to fade right. I know it probably doesn't sound much like a problem lol but it is sometimes. I have a natural draw that sometimes goes a little bit further. I've tried everything. Grip change, open face, cut across the ball... All I can ever do is get it to go straight. Any advice would be helpful.

What happens if you make a blatant over the top move. That should give you a nasty slice if you need to experience the extreme.

> @HappyTyTinVance said:

> Hi all new here. So I have a problem... **I cannot get the ball to fade right.** I know it probably doesn't sound much like a problem lol but it is sometimes. I have a natural draw that sometimes goes a little bit further. I've tried everything. Grip change, open face, cut across the ball... All I can ever do is get it to go straight. Any advice would be helpful.

Welcome to my world!

Handicap:  3

> @HappyTyTinVance said:

> Hi all new here. So I have a problem... I cannot get the ball to fade right. I know it probably doesn't sound much like a problem lol but it is sometimes. I have a natural draw that sometimes goes a little bit further. I've tried everything. Grip change, open face, cut across the ball... All I can ever do is get it to go straight. Any advice would be helpful.

Could be your hip turn and weight shift. Here is one method for shot shaping. For a draw and a in to out plane angle the right hip need to clear left with a right foot heel to left ball (in to out weight shift). For a straight shot the hip turn is more of a turn in place with a arch to arch weight shift. For a fade and a out to in swing plane the left hip needs to clear early with a right ball of the foot to the left heel weight shift matching the swing plane in degree as closely as posible. The closing or opening of the cub face can also be matched up to your plane angle for better aiming. For instince if your plane angle is to be 10 degrees out to in, by opening your club face 10 degrees and swinging at the 10 degree out to in plane angle through your ball, instead of squaring up to the out to in plane and a pull, contact will occur 10 degrees late starting your ball out straight then curving to the right.

> @Buzzkill said:

> > @HappyTyTinVance said:

> > Hi all new here. So I have a problem... **I cannot get the ball to fade right.** I know it probably doesn't sound much like a problem lol but it is sometimes. I have a natural draw that sometimes goes a little bit further. I've tried everything. Grip change, open face, cut across the ball... All I can ever do is get it to go straight. Any advice would be helpful.

> Welcome to my world!

>

>

Same.

Your face is closed in comparison to your path. It’s that simple. For people that say it’s really hard, it’s typically when their path is excessive (+8-12 in to out). In order to hit it relatively straight with a 8 degree in to out path, your face would need to be 5-6 degrees OPEN at impact

Although the face is the primary dictator of both launch and curve...its easier to minimize and work on fixing the issue by working on getting the path to be closer to 0 or even negative for the time being.

Throw some alignment sticks down (two of them) at about a 20° angle left of target. Swing down that line. I hope you hit pulls. Then you know we are onto something.

Once you start hitting it straight, you know have a relatively square face to path. And once you start the ball left of target line, and the ball curves right, you’ve now obtained a face that is open in comparison to path.(Please keep in mind you can fade a ball with a closed club face, just as you can draw a ball with an open club face, like you already do)

Good luck.

If you absolutely can not get the ball to turn left to right, then you have a flaw somewhere. Adjusting the club lie angle is not going to allow you to start hitting fades.

I would be taking a closer look at your swing. Hitting a fade or draw should be pre-setup alignment adjustments. If opening the club face and opening the stance and swinging along your body, doesn't produce a fade / slice, then something is happening along the way that closes the club face.

Without seeing a swing, it would be hard to say what it is. But most likely strong grip, possible flip, reverse pivot or a combo of something along these lines.

Most amateurs with a natural draw, favor a strong grip, with an impact position that they are fighting to not close the club face completely. Nothing wrong with this either. I played really good golf for a long while with something along these lines. Easy to control when you only miss one way.

But if you want to work the ball consistently and on-command. I believe you need to address your golf swing first.

Right elbow into your right hip or ribs on the downswing. That is the swing "feel" I try to get when i want to overcome my natural tendency to draw/hook. I want to get my right palm moving in to out. Like I am smacking someone on the other side of the ball. Don't dip or you'll lay a rug over the ball. YMMV.

> @Hackinator said:

> > @HappyTyTinVance said:

> > Hi all new here. So I have a problem... I cannot get the ball to fade right. I know it probably doesn't sound much like a problem lol but it is sometimes. I have a natural draw that sometimes goes a little bit further. I've tried everything. Grip change, open face, cut across the ball... All I can ever do is get it to go straight. Any advice would be helpful.

>

> What happens if you make a blatant over the top move. That should give you a nasty slice if you need to experience the extreme.

going for a nasty slice is good advice. to add to this, you could also try opening up your stance and club face and weakening your grip more than you think is necessary.

First off, if you produce a squarish face at impact consistently (i hate that word), you easily play any path you want, because you are controlling the club.

So if thats not the case, dont try shape shots the other way, it will be very difficult. Here is why, its simple math. If you lets say swing 7-10* right to hit your draws with an open face, then you will have to try to swing 14-20* left and close the face twice as much to get the ball flight you are looking for; this will end up producing a swing with a path of 7-10 right and slightly closed face to hit a cut. Thpugh the issue is this will feel completely unconfortable and unsual at first and will take some time to get use to and could easily mess up your normal swing.

Pro Caddie & I teach golf

Driver: PXG 9* ; HZDRUS Handcrafted 63 6.0

Long Game: PXG 13*, PXG 16*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 83 6.5 (flip between the two)

Driving Iron: PXG 0311 4 iron bent 17.5*; ProForce VTS 100HX 

Hybrid: PXG Gen 1 19*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 100 6.5

Irons: NIKE CB 4-PW Raw finish ; Aldila RIP Tour SLT 115 Tour Stiff (.25 inch gapping)

Wedges: Titleist SM9 50*, 54*; True Temper DG S300 (36 inches)

L-Wedge: Custom 60*; KBS Tour Stiff (36 inches)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design #5 35 inches: Super Stroke GP Tour

Ball: ProV1x

I can't normally draw a shot to save my soul and pretty much gave up on worrying about it. Can hook it pretty good from under trees or hitting it low and around something (when it works), but a real "draw" just isn't my world in any consistent fashion and my natural shape has always been a little left to right (thanks Jack) so --- I just hit the ball straight or a little right with my irons unless it's just plain crappy and life is great.

When your "miss" is straight, OP, your golf life is pretty darn good (unless that natural "draw" that goes a little further is really a hook).

• 1 month later...