Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

Golfing alone

Comments

• eleven bravoeleven bravo  42Posted: Members Posts: 42

@stikillller the problem with playing alone is the mixture of ransoms. Sometimes the devil you know is better than the one you don’t. Now on the off chance you get to truly play alone, take advantage. Or try walking when your buddy drives the cart.

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • RainShadowRainShadow Tucson AZ (for now) 3954Posted: Members Posts: 3,954

Recent observation on playing alone is that now when I play in a foursome, I have a hard time maintaining a rhythm since Im used to playing fast....

Posted:
    Ping G400 10.5 Hzrdus Yellow 75 6.0
    Rogue 17* Atmos Blue TS or Xhot 15* OG Blueboard 73s
    G 410 19* & 22*  Tensei Pro Blue 80s
    Apex 26 Kuro Kage S
    Cobra Forged Tec Black 6-GW Modus 105s 
    RTX4 54/10 and 58/8 2 dots
    Bettinardi BB1 / Toulon Madison H1 neck (L)
    Chrome Soft/ FG Tour/ ProV1
  • HighlandLairdHighlandLaird  161Posted: Members Posts: 161

I'm 77 and play alone almost all the time. The main reason is that the 3 I used to play with have all died, and I'm rather reluctant to start regular games with others as alone, I can suit myself when I play, at what pace and where I want to play. Often, I'll play just 8 or 9 holes, other times 18, but it is very nice to be able to do whatever I want, rather than what the majority want!! Also, I used to be scratch and have always found that golf is a sport played against the course and not against other players, unlike tennis or other directly competitive sports. Playing alone allows you to try different equipment on the course, a favourite quirk of mine, and something that is difficult to do in others' company. Selfish this may all seem, but just playing golf is what I love and I really don't need company to enjoy it. Indeed, it is often distracting. I also feel that if you want to improve, there is no better way than playing alone and playing two or three balls against one another.

Posted:
  • tehutitehuti tehuti  75Posted: Members Posts: 75

I usually play alone because it’s hard to coordinate with my one golf buddy, who doesn’t play as often as I do.
    Today was an example of the downside though. I went out before 7:00 AM to try to walk on at my local executive course. Packed. I tried 2 other courses nearby with the same result. So I just hit a bucket of balls and came home.

Posted:
  • jadams13jadams13 Poulsbo, WA 51Posted: Members Posts: 51

It can be really awesome. Especially after a stressful day at work, or a great way to roll into the weekend on a Friday twilight round.

Posted:
  • dmecca2dmecca2 Scranton, PA 111Posted: Members Posts: 111

I usually end up playing great by myself but its very misleading. I call these my fake rounds because even though I played one ball and played by the rules, I know I would have never shot that score with someone else watching.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • Z1ggy16Z1ggy16  8045Posted: Members Posts: 8,045

Anybody play massively better alone than with people, whether they be strangers or friends? I'm talking like... I'll shoot +7 for 18 holes alone at night but if I play with people, I'm shooting 14 or 16 over usually. I think it's fear of failure, looking silly, etc. Idk how to let go.

Posted:

• PeanutsDaddyPeanutsDaddy  8671Posted: Members Posts: 8,671

@Z1ggy16 said:
    Anybody play massively better alone than with people, whether they be strangers or friends? I'm talking like... I'll shoot +7 for 18 holes alone at night but if I play with people, I'm shooting 14 or 16 over usually. I think it's fear of failure, looking silly, etc. Idk how to let go.

I'm a vastly different player. I think it's a mixture of expectations, pace of play, and a lack of focus at times. I often struggle to find my rhythm/tempo and my brain lacks the clarity that it seems to have when I'm playing as a single. It takes emotional and intellectual energy to play with others. Seems that my resources are limited. I've read a ton of books/articles on the subject, and have attempted to address the issue, but the results have not changed that much. I've chalked it up to playing 95% of my rounds as a single.

Posted:
    Cobra King F9 10.5*<br />Wishon 919FD 13* (1* open)<br />Wishon 950HC 18* (1* open)<br />Wishon 775hs 21*, 24*, 27<br />NCW 28*, 33*, 38*, 43*, 48*, 53*<br />Mac Custom Grind 58* (NevadaGolfGuy Special)<br />Betti, Machine, Mannkrafted, SGC, Scotty, Tad Moore, Xenon
  • Z1ggy16Z1ggy16  8045Posted: Members Posts: 8,045

I think it's because I'm always interacting so much with people at work during the day that for some reason now, I use golf to mostly escape having to talk, chit chat or otherwise. Don't get me wrong, I like to have a nice weekend round with a buddy but I do end up a little sad after when I shoot well below my potential.

Posted:

• RyRauRyRau Santa Clarita, CA 89Posted: Members Posts: 89

My favorite rounds are walking the first tee time of the day by myself. Get 18 in before breakfast and still have the day.

Posted:
  • DPortDPort  8Posted: Members Posts: 8

I've only been able to dash out and play a solo round a handful of times, but I definitely enjoy it. Much more relaxed. The only issue is reminding myself to keep my head down.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • shinobishinobi  10Posted: Members Posts: 10

I find that playing solo is like a rite of passage for golf - builds confidence and in the event you do get paired with someone, it just makes you play better. I used to be terrified having randoms in the group but now I welcome it and especially look forward to seeing their equipment. It’s an obvious tell tale sign.

Posted:
  • jcoltonjcolton  67Posted: Members Posts: 67

Very rarely is it possible to have the chance of playing alone, but the few times I have I've enjoyed the ability to use it as on-course practice. Playing multiple balls, in multiple situations. At the same time, it gets boring towards the end of the round, and I've found myself slowing down or speeding up to join another group.

Posted:
  • jimbjimb  1765Posted: Members Posts: 1,765

I enjoy playing with people - that I like - the most. I've played in tournaments with people who I really hated playing with. I used to be a tennis player when I was in my 20's (now 70). With tennis, unless you are working on your serve, you need a practice/playing partner. With golf, you can just go play. You can set goals and challenge yourself. I like going out when not many people are on the course. I can spend time working on shots around the green, hitting two or three balls off the tee, and generally it is better practice than just beating balls at the range. I always imagine I am playing for something, even when playing alone. But if you only play alone too much, it will get boring.

Posted:
  • sharkiesjsharkiesj  3064Posted: Members Posts: 3,064

I used to play a lot of golf by myself and never found it boring at all. Maybe because I’m rather shy, and don’t talk a lot when in a group of people.

I loved playing by myself. It affords me time to maximize my time on the course. As long as I’m not holding anyone up, I’d hit 2 or 3 tee shots on every tee, use different clubs, then do the same with approaches into the green and then practice my short game around the green with different chips and putts. Something you can never do when playing with others. I find it actually more boring playing with people because you can only hit one shot.

I realize that for many on here, this kind of golf is not real golf. I get it. Tournament golf and skins games are fun too but I don’t enjoy, truly enjoy, that as much as being alone, with the wind in my hair, meandering down the fairway with my bag over my shoulder as the suns sets thinking about how blessed I am to be alive and able to enjoy this beautiful game called golf. When I was in tournament or skins mode, I NEVER thought that.

Posted:
  • LeoLeo99LeoLeo99  4420Posted: Members Posts: 4,420

Depends on my mental state. Usually, I can relax and get in my Zen zone. But last week I got out alone after a rain storm and had there were only 3 groups on the course. Just wasn't in a good mood. Played too fast. Played 19 holes in a 2:05. Too hyped up and couldn't relax.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • MountainKingMountainKing  1777Posted: Members Posts: 1,777

I enjoy playing alone but tend to avoid it at busy times because of the getting paired up thing. It's a crap shoot and I've been paired up with some real interesting people over the years, and not interesting in the good way. I never seem to have luck with that, but you know it could also just be me lol.

Posted:

Taylormade M3 8.5* Fujikura Pro Tour Spec 73x
    Taylormade M3 3 Wood Accra FX 300
    Callaway Razr Tour Hybrid 19* Nunchuk
    Rocketbladez Tour 4-PW TT X100
    Tour Preferred 50/54 S400
    TM HI Toe 58 ATV S400
    TM Itsy Bitsy

• 86020818602081  1979Posted: Members Posts: 1,979

I do like playing with others, but I also enjoyed playing alone to work on my swing.. Most of my friends prefer to ride, so I ride. When I play alone, I walk.
    I walked a 9 hole today after work in 90 degree humid weather.. finished 2 32oz gatorades.. played 2 balls. It felt great..

Posted:
  • MullymanMullyman United States 82Posted: Members Posts: 82

Played yesterday as a single, behind multiple groups of 4, nobody behind me. I knew it would be like this when I showed up. Opted to walk vs. taking a cart, can not remember doing this since my knee operation years ago. Enjoyed the round immensely, I used to walk all the time and carried until I was 50, now at 71 Depending on the course I may opt to carry again.

Posted:
  • Big A HGBig A HG  680Posted: Members Posts: 680

I play both alone and with friends. I prefer playing with someone else whether it be with a friend or getting paired up on the first tee, but that isn't always an option. I'm not a super great golfer by any means (low-mid single digit handicap), but no one else I play with is typically going to break 90, so I'm essentially playing by myself anyways. Even when I'm alone, I'm very much grinding over every shot as I have my own goals I'm shooting for.

Posted:
  • GolfChannelGolfChannel Orlando, Florida 2176Posted: Members Posts: 2,176

I prefer alone, it guarantees a round of 18 will take less than 3 hours.

Posted:
    Driver: Ping G410 Plus w/Tensei Orange
    3 Wood: Currently taking applications
    5 Wood: Currently taking applications
    Hybrid: Callaway Epic 4 Hybrid w/Recoil F4
    Irons: Ping iBlade Nippon AWT 2.0 Stiff
    Wedges: Callaway MD3 50, 54, and 58
    Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
    Ball: Bridgestone BX

Advertisement
  • TmagBryceTmagBryce  49Posted: Members Posts: 49

I like playing sometimes solo late in the day when not many out on the course and playing two balls "Worst shot" hit two balls and play the worst of the two and see how you score. So if come to par three and stuff one to a foot and the other is in green side trap I have to play the bunker. I fluctuate between 0 and +2 index, and try to shoot even par as a goal. Pretty fun and a good challenge to improve on.

Posted:
  • tdennietdennie  53Posted: Members Posts: 53

I rely too much on have a group to play with. I need to play a few rounds alone sometime.

Posted:
  • VoltoreVoltore  3Posted: Members Posts: 3

I've just picked up again after a 30 year break (55) and obviously play like a total beginner. I'n hoping to knock a couple of 9 holes alone this weekend in the afternoon when the course is quiet just to practice and get some confidence up. I did a tourney (scramble) a couple of week ago and while I enjoyed it, I need to be a little better when I pair up next. If the opportunity arises to be paired and they're ok with my beginner-ness then I'll be fine with that.

Posted:
  • wickwosswickwoss  54Posted: Members Posts: 54

Like many here, I love getting in a solo round late in the day. Very peaceful and enjoyable, and typically much quicker. I typically play twice a week, and try to play one solo and one with a group. I enjoy both greatly, but think the solo rounds are when I really improve my game.

Posted:
  • DMAICDMAIC  82Posted: Members Posts: 82

I play alone during the week and really enjoy it as it's me time and I can really focus on my game. I enjoy playing with others but don't seem to play as well when I do.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • ChoreaChorea  5Posted: Members Posts: 5

Love solo golf

Posted:
  • JClarkGolfJClarkGolf  78Posted: Members Posts: 78

I literally golf alone 75% of the time. Just throw on some tunes and it's the best

Posted:
  • AdamHermsdorferAdamHermsdorfer  13Posted: Members Posts: 13

Mid 30's isn't older! I enjoy the solitude of playing alone and playing fast. 99% of the guys I get paired have been good people and have made many friends this way.

Posted:
    GBB Epic Flash SZ - 9.5 ROGUE® Silver 130 M.S.I. 70 TX
    GBB Epic Flash SZ - 13.5 - TENSEI CK White Tour 90 TX
    Titleist 816 h2 - 19 -TENSEI CK White Tour 90HY TX
    Titleist 818 h2 - 21 -TENSEI CK White Tour 100HY TX
    Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI HI - 2iron - Nippon Modus Tour 120X
    4/5 918 AP3 - Nippon Modus Tour 120 TX
    6-Approach/Gap: 918 AP2 - Nippon Modus Tour 120 TX
    54/58 - SM6 - Project X LZ 120
    Ping Sigma 2 Tyne

Advertisement
  • slolaneslolane  15Posted: Members Posts: 15

Playing golf alone is like **** alone, it can be done but more fun with someone you like lol. On the other hand ( see what I did there lol ) playing with somebody you don't care for makes for a very long day.

Posted:

Driver Ping g400max Distanza shaft
    Ping g400 3w
    Ping g400 7w
    Ping g400 4I-pw Alta senior graphite
    Ping Glide 3.0 52 wedge
    Callaway 58 sure out sw graphite
    Bettinardi studio stock #3 putter
    Retired and enjoying life

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji