2019 Tour Championship

Darth Putter

We've got a leaderboard already!

![](https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ECSQ943W4AAwFei.jpg "")

$15,000,000 to the winner.

Last place gets you $395,000 between winnings and your retirement pension deposit. (Ben Hogan made $332,516 in career official money)

Course: East Lake Golf Club a par 70 of 7385 yards and NBC will tell you which Hall of Famer learned to play there a thousand times this week.

FedEx Cup Points: We're done with points, now you get FedEX Starting Strokes. No point total to worry about, everyone starts at the scores you see listed above and we play from there. The player most under par wins.

What if player A shoots 265 and player B shoots 267 and player B started four strokes ahead? Player B wins. And it counts as an official win for player B as well. Under this format, Justin Rose would have won the tournament last year, Tiger would have been stuck on win 79 and East Lake most likely would have been burned to the ground.

What about the OWGR? Ah now this will be interesting. The player shooting the low 72 hole score will get the winner's points even if he loses the tournament. What if three guys shoot the low score? As far as I know the three top point totals will be split. There will be no playoff for the OWGR first place points.

And now the only Federal Express commercial that matters

I like the new scoring format to see who can win the FedEx Cup more easily, but I would still propose these changes:

1. Majors have to be worth double what a regular Tour win is compared to the 500 and 600 points a regular Tour win and a major currently get.

2. The player who shoots the lowest score compared to where they started at Eastlake should still get credited with a Tour win.

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (DI-95X, PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 50*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

Agree with the " The player who shoots the lowest score compared to where they started at Eastlake should still get credited with a Tour win."

Will see if the format holds, but I did like the pressure it placed today..

Honma TR20 Vizard RED S

Callaway Fusion 3 Wood Recoil S

PXG 6-Gap TT Elevate S

Vokey SM8 50, 54, 58

Scotty Phantom X 5.5

I do not know how I feel about the new system because the best golfer next week may not win, or even come close for that matter depending who it is. Fleetwood could throw up 4 straight 65s and lose by a handful still. But giving him a W would just be the same thing as previous years having two winners. And I believe that is what they are also trying to avoid. If they were to do that, you might as well not change the system up in the first place.

I want to like it but I have to see how it works out first. As the OP said, if this was last year and Tiger didn't get a W after grinding it out...oh man.

I’ll be at East Lake on Saturday/Sunday and am really hoping this doesn’t make the tournament an absolute snooze-fest.

The possibility of someone more than 5 shots back catching Justin at a golf course that is fairly benign seems so out of reach...

We shall see.

Totally ageee that the guy with the low 72 hole score should get a tour win and payout.

• Like 1

OWGR loses credibility awarding points for this event.

I like the format as a way to wrap up the playoffs but I don't like the handicapped tournament part of it , Tour Championship. Winning the FedEx Cup with a handicap is fine but winning a PGA Tour event with a handicap is beyond silly.

[size=2]Titleist 910D3 8.5°
TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° S Grind & 58° C Grind
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
Titleist Pro V 1x[/size]

> @OldTomMorris said:

> OWGR loses credibility awarding points for this event.

> I like the format as a way to wrap up the playoffs but I don't like the handicapped tournament part of it , Tour Championship. Winning the FedEx Cup with a handicap is fine but winning a PGA Tour event with a handicap is beyond silly.

Especially in a limited field event

[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z565 Speeder 569 Evo IV SR[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]TaylorMade RBZ 3 wood, [/size][/font][/color][color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Matrix Ozik R[/size][/font][/color]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Srixon U65 2 iron, Miyazaki S[/size][/color][/font]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Cobra F6 Hybrid 22 degrees RedTie S[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z945 5-pw w/ DG s200[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Miura Y 51 and K 56 DG Spinner, Yururi Raw 61 KBS [/size][/font][/color][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#a4a4a4][size=2]HiRev[/size][/color][/font]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Odyssey O-Works Black 34"[/size][/color][/font]

> @OldTomMorris said:

> OWGR loses credibility awarding points for this event.

> I like the format as a way to wrap up the playoffs but I don't like the handicapped tournament part of it , Tour Championship. Winning the FedEx Cup with a handicap is fine but winning a PGA Tour event with a handicap is beyond silly.

I agree fully. Don’t mind the format to put a period on the playoffs and the season. But it should not be considered the same as winning another full field event such as a major. For the individual player, there is no less pressure, plenty at stake, high motivation....zero doubt on that part, though, to me.

> @"Blade Junkie" said:

> Just a stupid gimmick on top of a stupid gimmick for me.

> And the Masters champion and The Open champion missing from the Top 30 ? ... OK then ....

It's pretty simple. They did not get enough points.

run of the mill driver with stock shaft
a couple of outdated hybrids
shovel-ier shovels
wedges from same shovel company
some putter with a dead insert and
a hideous grip

> @Vindog said:

> > @"Blade Junkie" said:

> > Just a stupid gimmick on top of a stupid gimmick for me.

> > And the Masters champion and The Open champion missing from the Top 30 ? ... OK then ....

>

> It's pretty simple. They did not get enough points.

Yeah, I'm okay with them not being in. "Playoffs" means that the preceeding events get you into the playoffs and you need to do something in the playoffs to advance to the Tour Championship. My only complaint is it shouldn't be marketed like the Fed Ex Cup is a season long race. It's a qualification system to get into the playoffs and the Fed Ex Cup winner is the guy who plays best in the playoffs; just like other sports that have playoffs. Koepka has been the best player all year and hasn't done much in the two playoff events and only dropped to 3rd starting out the Tour Championship, seems fair to me.

So 4 maybe 5 guys with a legitimate chance , and a good shot at someone shooting a lower score by 3-4 shots and not getting a win.

Lots of room for fail. I guess we shall see.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

> @"Blade Junkie" said:

> Just a stupid gimmick on top of a stupid gimmick for me.

> And the Masters champion and The Open champion missing from the Top 30 ? ... OK then ....

Yea I agree with that. You should want the 4 major winners in it. Why not make those 4 auto qualifiers and rank them based on points. As in tiger and Shane would be 31-32 and start at even.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

> @bladehunter said:

> > @"Blade Junkie" said:

> > Just a stupid gimmick on top of a stupid gimmick for me.

> > And the Masters champion and The Open champion missing from the Top 30 ? ... OK then ....

>

>

> Yea I agree with that. You should want the 4 major winners in it. Why not make those 4 auto qualifiers and rank them based on points. As in tiger and Shane would be 31-32 and start at even.

If they awarded a more reasonable 1000 FedEX Cup points for winning a major rather than just 600, we almost certainly wouldn't have that problem. Both of them would be in Atlanta with about a couple hundred points to spare.

> @"Darth Putter" said:

> > @bladehunter said:

> > > @"Blade Junkie" said:

> > > Just a stupid gimmick on top of a stupid gimmick for me.

> > > And the Masters champion and The Open champion missing from the Top 30 ? ... OK then ....

> >

> >

> > Yea I agree with that. You should want the 4 major winners in it. Why not make those 4 auto qualifiers and rank them based on points. As in tiger and Shane would be 31-32 and start at even.

>

> If they awarded a more reasonable 1000 FedEX Cup points for winning a major rather than just 600, we almost certainly wouldn't have that problem. Both of them would be in Atlanta with about a couple hundred points to spare.

Brooks would be leading, and Rory in 3rd.

Really looking forward to this week, I really like the idea of the new format, it should make for a really interesting week. Interesting to see ho Thomas approaches it. With an eye on this week, it was almost like the he is only half way through the tournament heading into the week.

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

> @cdnglf said:

> > @"Darth Putter" said:

> > > @bladehunter said:

> > > > @"Blade Junkie" said:

> > > > Just a stupid gimmick on top of a stupid gimmick for me.

> > > > And the Masters champion and The Open champion missing from the Top 30 ? ... OK then ....

> > >

> > >

> > > Yea I agree with that. You should want the 4 major winners in it. Why not make those 4 auto qualifiers and rank them based on points. As in tiger and Shane would be 31-32 and start at even.

> >

> > If they awarded a more reasonable 1000 FedEX Cup points for winning a major rather than just 600, we almost certainly wouldn't have that problem. Both of them would be in Atlanta with about a couple hundred points to spare.

>

> Brooks would be leading, and Rory in 3rd.

And the previous "playoff" event relevance is diminished. I'm not opposed to giving a little more weight to majors but if you're going to have a playoffs then you need to emphasize on the playoff events. Tiger played in 12 events and won a major and didn't contend otherwise. Based off the strength of the major win he started inside the top 30 and couldn't hold the position he earned based mostly off one win. I don't see an issue with him not being there.

> @Cincy_Ken said:

> > @cdnglf said:

> > > @"Darth Putter" said:

> > > > @bladehunter said:

> > > > > @"Blade Junkie" said:

> > > > > Just a stupid gimmick on top of a stupid gimmick for me.

> > > > > And the Masters champion and The Open champion missing from the Top 30 ? ... OK then ....

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > Yea I agree with that. You should want the 4 major winners in it. Why not make those 4 auto qualifiers and rank them based on points. As in tiger and Shane would be 31-32 and start at even.

> > >

> > > If they awarded a more reasonable 1000 FedEX Cup points for winning a major rather than just 600, we almost certainly wouldn't have that problem. Both of them would be in Atlanta with about a couple hundred points to spare.

> >

> > Brooks would be leading, and Rory in 3rd.

>

> And the previous "playoff" event relevance is diminished. I'm not opposed to giving a little more weight to majors but if you're going to have a playoffs then you need to emphasize on the playoff events. Tiger played in 12 events and won a major and didn't contend otherwise. Based off the strength of the major win he started inside the top 30 and couldn't hold the position he earned based mostly off one win. I don't see an issue with him not being there.

Sure, I don’t have a problem with it either... mostly just looking to trigger the “Players is not a major” crowd. If the Tour decided to increase the points for majors, it is an absolute guarantee it would do the same for the Players.

There’s always going to be debate over how the regular season is weighted vs the playoffs vs the final. IMO, the new system is an improvement over the previous one, but there is some goofiness around the OWGR and the “official win”.

> @cdnglf said:

> > @Cincy_Ken said:

> > > @cdnglf said:

> > > > @"Darth Putter" said:

> > > > > @bladehunter said:

> > > > > > @"Blade Junkie" said:

> > > > > > Just a stupid gimmick on top of a stupid gimmick for me.

> > > > > > And the Masters champion and The Open champion missing from the Top 30 ? ... OK then ....

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > Yea I agree with that. You should want the 4 major winners in it. Why not make those 4 auto qualifiers and rank them based on points. As in tiger and Shane would be 31-32 and start at even.

> > > >

> > > > If they awarded a more reasonable 1000 FedEX Cup points for winning a major rather than just 600, we almost certainly wouldn't have that problem. Both of them would be in Atlanta with about a couple hundred points to spare.

> > >

> > > Brooks would be leading, and Rory in 3rd.

> >

> > And the previous "playoff" event relevance is diminished. I'm not opposed to giving a little more weight to majors but if you're going to have a playoffs then you need to emphasize on the playoff events. Tiger played in 12 events and won a major and didn't contend otherwise. Based off the strength of the major win he started inside the top 30 and couldn't hold the position he earned based mostly off one win. I don't see an issue with him not being there.

>

> Sure, I don’t have a problem with it either... mostly just looking to trigger the “Players is not a major” crowd. If the Tour decided to increase the points for majors, it is an absolute guarantee it would do the same for the Players.

>

> There’s always going to be debate over how the regular season is weighted vs the playoffs vs the final. IMO, the new system is an improvement over the previous one, but there is some goofiness around the OWGR and the “official win”.

We're on the same page as far as that goes. I do not think the OWGR should award points this week. The guy who starts in #30 could beat #1 by a stroke but since he starts 10 strokes back he loses the tournament by 9. He's then could hypothetically be awarded the #1 ranking points for the week despite never facing any type of tournament pressure. I hate this getting ranking points more than I hate Tiger's silly season event getting points.

> @Cincy_Ken said:

> > @cdnglf said:

> > > @Cincy_Ken said:

> > > > @cdnglf said:

> > > > > @"Darth Putter" said:

> > > > > > @bladehunter said:

> > > > > > > @"Blade Junkie" said:

> > > > > > > Just a stupid gimmick on top of a stupid gimmick for me.

> > > > > > > And the Masters champion and The Open champion missing from the Top 30 ? ... OK then ....

> > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Yea I agree with that. You should want the 4 major winners in it. Why not make those 4 auto qualifiers and rank them based on points. As in tiger and Shane would be 31-32 and start at even.

> > > > >

> > > > > If they awarded a more reasonable 1000 FedEX Cup points for winning a major rather than just 600, we almost certainly wouldn't have that problem. Both of them would be in Atlanta with about a couple hundred points to spare.

> > > >

> > > > Brooks would be leading, and Rory in 3rd.

> > >

> > > And the previous "playoff" event relevance is diminished. I'm not opposed to giving a little more weight to majors but if you're going to have a playoffs then you need to emphasize on the playoff events. Tiger played in 12 events and won a major and didn't contend otherwise. Based off the strength of the major win he started inside the top 30 and couldn't hold the position he earned based mostly off one win. I don't see an issue with him not being there.

> >

> > Sure, I don’t have a problem with it either... mostly just looking to trigger the “Players is not a major” crowd. If the Tour decided to increase the points for majors, it is an absolute guarantee it would do the same for the Players.

> >

> > There’s always going to be debate over how the regular season is weighted vs the playoffs vs the final. IMO, the new system is an improvement over the previous one, but there is some goofiness around the OWGR and the “official win”.

>

> We're on the same page as far as that goes. I do not think the OWGR should award points this week. The guy who starts in #30 could beat #1 by a stroke but since he starts 10 strokes back he loses the tournament by 9. He's then could hypothetically be awarded the #1 ranking points for the week despite never facing any type of tournament pressure. I hate this getting ranking points more than I hate Tiger's silly season event getting points.

I don’t like either, but I really hate the dumb 18 man field. And I extra hate the special hypocritical backdoor invites Tiger has given himself In the past.

Best fix IMO is for the OWGR change the minimum field size to 60.