2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Brooks Koepka and the his lack of respect

wombat_vortex

> @wombat_vortex said:

> Apologies if this has been covered in another thread or multiple threads. I feel like the people in the media who don't hold him up in the same light as Tiger or Phil, we know who they are, they perceive him as nothing more than a bomb and gouge player.

Well....to be fair he isn't a 'Tiger or Phil'.

• Like 1

> @golfandfishing said:

> Brooks is a fake tough guy d bag. He gets plenty of respect for his golf abilities, but no one over the mental age of 14 cares about Instagram so it’s not surprising the golf media ask him a few questions then move on to the guys with personalities for storylines.

This is where I fall. I usually don't get involved with the "personal" aspect of golfers, but something just rubs me the wrong way about this guy. His golf is off the charts good, and I suppose that's where it should end. I will say this, people bashed Tiger for not giving the media much and Brooks is pretty much the same way. This doesn't bother me as much as his "I don't give an F" attitude on the course. The results are there, but for me, he just comes across as hard to root for. I don't root against anyone, but I'm not falling over myself for the guy.

• Like 1

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

> @"North Butte" said:

> Makes you wonder if Hogan came along today how he would be treated by the fans and media, especially social media. I mean the guy was good and all but does he have to be such a po-faced grump about it?

It would probably be pretty ugly. People are easily offended, even when there is reason to be these days. But even Tiger realized that he had to be more open and give the media SOMETHING and frankly help to improve his image. Brooks could go a long way to try to be more likable I guess. Then the golfing ability probably would be more well respected as well.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

It seems like Brooks has more haters on social media than anything. Was out at the BMW yesterday he was grouped with Phil and they were literally joking all day, interacting with everyone on the tee boxes. Phil and Brooks were making each hole basically a long drive contest and aside from Tiger, and the leaders at the end...were easily the biggest group following. They weren't in the tournament anymore at that point and could have easily just packed it in. But they had fun with it, and I'd bet it wasn't on TV that much so you don't get to see that side of Brooks.

I am not the biggest fan of Bruce, but seeing him yesterday interact and joke around...swayed me into wanting to give him the benefit of the doubt maybe a few times, instead of zero times.

• Like 1

> @stanger37 said:

> I am not the biggest fan of Bruce, but seeing him yesterday interact and joke around...swayed me into wanting to give him the benefit of the doubt maybe a few times, instead of zero times.

To paraphrase Jimmy Dugan, "Who's Bruce?"

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM2 52º cc, SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

> @GoGoErky said:

> > @bladehunter said:

> > > @Socrates said:

> > > It irritates people that he doesn’t give a rats a** about what they think he should do. He also doesn’t suffer fools gladly and he pretty much has little time for the media. I guess if people don’t like that, too bad. He’s just bloody impressive and that’s good enough for me.

> >

> > It’s funny. He does seem to find use for the media when he wants to start an argument though. Rather than say something to Bryson one on one. Or JB etc. he has no issue doing it in public while hiding behind the media. His words can be correct but his delivery of them was pretty cowardly.

> >

> > Players have several avenues to say things like that. One on one and to the players advisory council being 2 good ones. Instead he takes the avenue of passive aggression. Poor form in my opinion.

>

> Except that he did confront Bryson on the putting green after Bryson chirped at brooks caddie. When the media asks a questions he answers.

Correct. He is answering questions to the media when asked, not trying to hide behind them. I prefer the players who answer questions directly instead of being bland and "on brand" to maintain some kind of good guy image 100% of the time. I'm sure there's been plenty of discussions with him by players that we have never heard about because we don't need to.

I agree some with his stance on the media, though that will continue to get you "disrespected" by them, given that they will take small clips of what you said completely out of context of questions asked or other things in the sentence to get reads/clicks/whatever. At some point, you go out and play really, really well, which is all that matters in the end.

• Like 1

Brooks is the hero the tour deserves but not the one it needs.

He's a straight talking athlete who calls it as he sees it, doesn't fall into the media./agent dramatics of some other players, and he wins under the gun. He's a players player. Everyone has a favourite, but tiger has a flexible relationship with the truth, phil likes to bend the rules before he breaks them, and too many of the younger crop lack the maturity of Brooks.

Just my take.

• Like 3

• Ping G400 9* Fujikura Speeder 661 X (+16g head weight)
  • Tour Edge Exotics CB3 Tour 18*, True Temper Bi Matrix RXi X 
  • Adams Idea A7 19* & 22* UST V2 Hybrid X +0.5'
  • Mizuno MP20 HMB 4i KBS C-Taper 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Mizuno MP20 MMC 5-7 Nippon Modus 3 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Mizuno MP20 MB 8-PW Nippon Modus 3 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Cleveland RTX3 V-MG 50* TT S400 +0.5'
  • Nike Engage Raw 54* TT S400 +0.5'
  • Cleveland RTX 588 Rotex 2.0 60* TT S400 +0.5'
  • EVNROLL 2.2 35' Super Stroke GTR 1.0

No rush , is there ?

Glory will come later, proven by the statistics from the history. He is a good professional golfer, no doubt about that.

He also needs to realize that he is sharing the stage with other great professional golfers, the spot light can not be focused on him like it did to the Tiger Woods. He is great but not the same category.

Should Sam Snead complain that he did not receive the same treatment in the media as Byron Nelson and Ben Hogn ?

Why is the attention from the media important to him ? Wrong profession if he needs attention that way, should find the red carpet to walk on.

> @wkuo3 said:

> No rush , is there ?

> Glory will come later, proven by the statistics from the history. He is a good professional golfer, no doubt about that.

> He also needs to realize that he is sharing the stage with other great professional golfers, the spot light can not be focused on him like it did to the Tiger Woods. He is great but not the same category.

> Should Sam Snead complain that he did not receive the same treatment in the media as Byron Nelson and Ben Hogn ?

> Why is the attention from the media important to him ? Wrong profession if he needs attention that way, should find the red carpet to walk on.

Why does he need to realize he is sharing the stage. He has the success in the last couple years to have center stage and for the rest around him to realize they are sharing the stage with him.

I’m glad duval came out on the pregame coverage yesterday saying the media can’t have it both ways when it comes to majors. The claim of it being all about the majors and their importance then knock brooks for doing just that and not focused as much on the regular events.

> @mukster said:

> Tough crowd here. Perhaps it would be better if every single player was a milquetoast college grad, who answers every question with replies like "I'm gonna play one shot at a time", "I'm going to play within myself", etc. and wears Argyle sweaters. I love the guys that break this mold, from Reed to Rahm to Koepka.

I like 2 of 3 of those guys. The poster who said the “ kardashianalizing” of everything hit the nail on the head. Brooks crossed that line and it’s hard to walk that back.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

> @MidwestGolfBum said:

> > @GoGoErky said:

> > > @bladehunter said:

> > > > @Socrates said:

> > > > It irritates people that he doesn’t give a rats a** about what they think he should do. He also doesn’t suffer fools gladly and he pretty much has little time for the media. I guess if people don’t like that, too bad. He’s just bloody impressive and that’s good enough for me.

> > >

> > > It’s funny. He does seem to find use for the media when he wants to start an argument though. Rather than say something to Bryson one on one. Or JB etc. he has no issue doing it in public while hiding behind the media. His words can be correct but his delivery of them was pretty cowardly.

> > >

> > > Players have several avenues to say things like that. One on one and to the players advisory council being 2 good ones. Instead he takes the avenue of passive aggression. Poor form in my opinion.

> >

> > Except that he did confront Bryson on the putting green after Bryson chirped at brooks caddie. When the media asks a questions he answers.

>

> Correct. He is answering questions to the media when asked, not trying to hide behind them. I prefer the players who answer questions directly instead of being bland and "on brand" to maintain some kind of good guy image 100% of the time. I'm sure there's been plenty of discussions with him by players that we have never heard about because we don't need to.

>

> I agree some with his stance on the media, though that will continue to get you "disrespected" by them, given that they will take small clips of what you said completely out of context of questions asked or other things in the sentence to get reads/clicks/whatever. At some point, you go out and play really, really well, which is all that matters in the end.

First I’d heard of him confronting Bryson face to face. Not saying it didn’t happen. Just hadnt heard that at all.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

> @playar32 said:

> Brooks is a big gamer hunter, a mans man, masculine, aggressive.

> People don't want that in this day and age.

Lol. Yea. I hear most big game hunters do so in cheetah skin thongs nowadays. Blends right in.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

> @bladehunter said:

> > @MidwestGolfBum said:

> > > @GoGoErky said:

> > > > @bladehunter said:

> > > > > @Socrates said:

> > > > > It irritates people that he doesn’t give a rats a** about what they think he should do. He also doesn’t suffer fools gladly and he pretty much has little time for the media. I guess if people don’t like that, too bad. He’s just bloody impressive and that’s good enough for me.

> > > >

> > > > It’s funny. He does seem to find use for the media when he wants to start an argument though. Rather than say something to Bryson one on one. Or JB etc. he has no issue doing it in public while hiding behind the media. His words can be correct but his delivery of them was pretty cowardly.

> > > >

> > > > Players have several avenues to say things like that. One on one and to the players advisory council being 2 good ones. Instead he takes the avenue of passive aggression. Poor form in my opinion.

> > >

> > > Except that he did confront Bryson on the putting green after Bryson chirped at brooks caddie. When the media asks a questions he answers.

> >

> > Correct. He is answering questions to the media when asked, not trying to hide behind them. I prefer the players who answer questions directly instead of being bland and "on brand" to maintain some kind of good guy image 100% of the time. I'm sure there's been plenty of discussions with him by players that we have never heard about because we don't need to.

> >

> > I agree some with his stance on the media, though that will continue to get you "disrespected" by them, given that they will take small clips of what you said completely out of context of questions asked or other things in the sentence to get reads/clicks/whatever. At some point, you go out and play really, really well, which is all that matters in the end.

>

> First I’d heard of him confronting Bryson face to face. Not saying it didn’t happen. Just hadnt heard that at all.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.golfchannel.com/news/bryson-dechambeau-no-issues-after-talking-slow-play-brooks-koepka%3famp

For better or worse I believe that we want our No. 1's to be dominant. If they don't win every time out we want them to be in contention. Fans like the White vs Black Hat story line. BK seems to lack the polish and charisma to be the front man. Also his play needs to be elevated weekly. He is sitting at 4 majors which is great, but there have been a lot of guys with 4. Only two have reached double digits.

> @GoGoErky said:

> > @wkuo3 said:

> > No rush , is there ?

> > Glory will come later, proven by the statistics from the history. He is a good professional golfer, no doubt about that.

> > He also needs to realize that he is sharing the stage with other great professional golfers, the spot light can not be focused on him like it did to the Tiger Woods. He is great but not the same category.

> > Should Sam Snead complain that he did not receive the same treatment in the media as Byron Nelson and Ben Hogn ?

> > Why is the attention from the media important to him ? Wrong profession if he needs attention that way, should find the red carpet to walk on.

>

> Why does he need to realize he is sharing the stage. He has the success in the last couple years to have center stage and for the rest around him to realize they are sharing the stage with him.

>

> I’m glad duval came out on the pregame coverage yesterday saying the media can’t have it both ways when it comes to majors. The claim of it being all about the majors and their importance then knock brooks for doing just that and not focused as much on the regular events.

He is a great golfer and been dominating the Tour for the period of time , just like many others beofore him.

However, do you really believe that he could measure up to the others beofre him ? Not even close.

I would say, keep at it and let the action do the talking.

Why does anyone needs to complain that they didn't receive the lime light they supposedly deserve ?

This is the sign of the time, everyone is complaining, thinking the squeaky wheels will get the attention.

Wrong, because when more are making noise, it'll be, just noise.

If he could keep up with what he has been doing then, there is no denying.

Unfortunately, the industry is on a down hill slide, together took away a lot of the publicity one could have received with the position he in in currently.

even in the War time, you think Byron Nelson didn't receive all the publicity he deserved ?

Winning 11 tournaments in a row will get attention no matter which time we're in.

> @wkuo3 said:

> > @GoGoErky said:

> > > @wkuo3 said:

> > > No rush , is there ?

> > > Glory will come later, proven by the statistics from the history. He is a good professional golfer, no doubt about that.

> > > He also needs to realize that he is sharing the stage with other great professional golfers, the spot light can not be focused on him like it did to the Tiger Woods. He is great but not the same category.

> > > Should Sam Snead complain that he did not receive the same treatment in the media as Byron Nelson and Ben Hogn ?

> > > Why is the attention from the media important to him ? Wrong profession if he needs attention that way, should find the red carpet to walk on.

> >

> > Why does he need to realize he is sharing the stage. He has the success in the last couple years to have center stage and for the rest around him to realize they are sharing the stage with him.

> >

> > I’m glad duval came out on the pregame coverage yesterday saying the media can’t have it both ways when it comes to majors. The claim of it being all about the majors and their importance then knock brooks for doing just that and not focused as much on the regular events.

>

> He is a great golfer and been dominating the Tour for the period of time , just like many others beofore him.

> However, do you really believe that he could measure up to the others beofre him ? Not even close.

> I would say, keep at it and let the action do the talking.

> Why does anyone needs to complain that they didn't receive the lime light they supposedly deserve ?

> This is the sign of the time, everyone is complaining, thinking the squeaky wheels will get the attention.

> Wrong, because when more are making noise, it'll be, just noise.

> If he could keep up with what he has been doing then, there is no denying.

> Unfortunately, the industry is on a down hill slide, together took away a lot of the publicity one could have received with the position he in in currently.

> even in the War time, you think Byron Nelson didn't receive all the publicity he deserved ?

> Winning 11 tournaments in a row will get attention no matter which time we're in.

>

If it’s about majors as the media tells everyone it is then he’s right up there. 1 behind Phil, Nelson and seve, 2 behind Trevino and faldo. If it’s about total wins he has a ways to go but even if he doesn’t win again with 8 combined wins on euro and pga tours plus 4 majors he’s a HOF guy.

In the last 3 years no one is playing as consistent and as good as him.

> @GoGoErky said:

> > @wkuo3 said:

> > > @GoGoErky said:

> > > > @wkuo3 said:

> > > > No rush , is there ?

> > > > Glory will come later, proven by the statistics from the history. He is a good professional golfer, no doubt about that.

> > > > He also needs to realize that he is sharing the stage with other great professional golfers, the spot light can not be focused on him like it did to the Tiger Woods. He is great but not the same category.

> > > > Should Sam Snead complain that he did not receive the same treatment in the media as Byron Nelson and Ben Hogn ?

> > > > Why is the attention from the media important to him ? Wrong profession if he needs attention that way, should find the red carpet to walk on.

> > >

> > > Why does he need to realize he is sharing the stage. He has the success in the last couple years to have center stage and for the rest around him to realize they are sharing the stage with him.

> > >

> > > I’m glad duval came out on the pregame coverage yesterday saying the media can’t have it both ways when it comes to majors. The claim of it being all about the majors and their importance then knock brooks for doing just that and not focused as much on the regular events.

> >

> > He is a great golfer and been dominating the Tour for the period of time , just like many others beofore him.

> > However, do you really believe that he could measure up to the others beofre him ? Not even close.

> > I would say, keep at it and let the action do the talking.

> > Why does anyone needs to complain that they didn't receive the lime light they supposedly deserve ?

> > This is the sign of the time, everyone is complaining, thinking the squeaky wheels will get the attention.

> > Wrong, because when more are making noise, it'll be, just noise.

> > If he could keep up with what he has been doing then, there is no denying.

> > Unfortunately, the industry is on a down hill slide, together took away a lot of the publicity one could have received with the position he in in currently.

> > even in the War time, you think Byron Nelson didn't receive all the publicity he deserved ?

> > Winning 11 tournaments in a row will get attention no matter which time we're in.

> >

>

> If it’s about majors as the media tells everyone it is then he’s right up there. 1 behind Phil, Nelson and seve, 2 behind Trevino and faldo. If it’s about total wins he has a ways to go but even if he doesn’t win again with 8 combined wins on euro and pga tours plus 4 majors he’s a HOF guy.

>

> In the last 3 years no one is playing as consistent and as good as him.

Koepka ( kupcake), is a very strong golfer, his record speaks for itself and he is dominating in recent years. I'm no going to take anything away from him.

Truth is, he is not getting a lot of spot lght and promotional activities is simple.

The sponsor's pocket is not as deep as it used to be in the 80's and the 90's. No one spends like they used to to promote their branded star players becuase the return on marketing in today's economic climate is not optimistic.

Everyone is preparing for the deep recession which had been artificially pushed back for years.

Less promotion= not much lime light.

As for the media and critics. He will have to figure out why his management team could not get a fair shake out of his ranking (not trying to get anyone fired )

I remembered Gary Player, whom was shadowed by Palmer and Nicklaus , and also the S.A. aprtheid issue, he was not loved and recongnized as he should.

Have to face it, how one promote one's image has everything to do with how much attention one received. Remember when Nicklaus first came on the tour, he was "that fat boy" whom thried to throw the King off his thrown and not a lot of love for him.

He changed his image, together with his winning records he was loved like the new King.

Kupcake's team needs to figure out how to market the commodity in today's climate. Not a big secret, just need to have someone to get out there and do it.

> @wkuo3 said:

> > @GoGoErky said:

> > > @wkuo3 said:

> > > > @GoGoErky said:

> > > > > @wkuo3 said:

> > > > > No rush , is there ?

> > > > > Glory will come later, proven by the statistics from the history. He is a good professional golfer, no doubt about that.

> > > > > He also needs to realize that he is sharing the stage with other great professional golfers, the spot light can not be focused on him like it did to the Tiger Woods. He is great but not the same category.

> > > > > Should Sam Snead complain that he did not receive the same treatment in the media as Byron Nelson and Ben Hogn ?

> > > > > Why is the attention from the media important to him ? Wrong profession if he needs attention that way, should find the red carpet to walk on.

> > > >

> > > > Why does he need to realize he is sharing the stage. He has the success in the last couple years to have center stage and for the rest around him to realize they are sharing the stage with him.

> > > >

> > > > I’m glad duval came out on the pregame coverage yesterday saying the media can’t have it both ways when it comes to majors. The claim of it being all about the majors and their importance then knock brooks for doing just that and not focused as much on the regular events.

> > >

> > > He is a great golfer and been dominating the Tour for the period of time , just like many others beofore him.

> > > However, do you really believe that he could measure up to the others beofre him ? Not even close.

> > > I would say, keep at it and let the action do the talking.

> > > Why does anyone needs to complain that they didn't receive the lime light they supposedly deserve ?

> > > This is the sign of the time, everyone is complaining, thinking the squeaky wheels will get the attention.

> > > Wrong, because when more are making noise, it'll be, just noise.

> > > If he could keep up with what he has been doing then, there is no denying.

> > > Unfortunately, the industry is on a down hill slide, together took away a lot of the publicity one could have received with the position he in in currently.

> > > even in the War time, you think Byron Nelson didn't receive all the publicity he deserved ?

> > > Winning 11 tournaments in a row will get attention no matter which time we're in.

> > >

> >

> > If it’s about majors as the media tells everyone it is then he’s right up there. 1 behind Phil, Nelson and seve, 2 behind Trevino and faldo. If it’s about total wins he has a ways to go but even if he doesn’t win again with 8 combined wins on euro and pga tours plus 4 majors he’s a HOF guy.

> >

> > In the last 3 years no one is playing as consistent and as good as him.

>

> Koepka ( kupcake), is a very strong golfer, his record speaks for itself and he is dominating in recent years. I'm no going to take anything away from him.

> Truth is, he is not getting a lot of spot lght and promotional activities is simple.

> The sponsor's pocket is not as deep as it used to be in the 80's and the 90's. No one spends like they used to to promote their branded star players becuase the return on marketing in today's economic climate is not optimistic.

> Everyone is preparing for the deep recession which had been artificially pushed back for years.

> Less promotion= not much lime light.

> As for the media and critics. He will have to figure out why his management team could not get a fair shake out of his ranking (not trying to get anyone fired )

> I remembered Gary Player, whom was shadowed by Palmer and Nicklaus , and also the S.A. aprtheid issue, he was not loved and recongnized as he should.

> Have to face it, how one promote one's image has everything to do with how much attention one received. Remember when Nicklaus first came on the tour, he was "that fat boy" whom thried to throw the King off his thrown and not a lot of love for him.

> He changed his image, together with his winning records he was loved like the new King.

> Kupcake's team needs to figure out how to market the commodity in today's climate. Not a big secret, just need to have someone to get out there and do it.

Brooks doesn’t seem to want to be marketed or do sponsor gigs. He’s getting a good penny from Nike and the freedom to play what he wants without the hassle of media spots for a brand. He is just looking for the media to put their money where their mouths are. They can’t yap on about how players should put focus on winning majors and the majors are the mark for how a player will be viewed in their career then when someone does that question why that person isn’t winning regular stops.

To me, he is neither an interesting person to watch play golf nor a good interview.

Regarding his golf swing: It's kind of "samey" and there's no real slash/panache to it (that's a very personal take from a guy who prefers Trevino's swing and Seve's and Arnie's, et al., and I understand others may disagree).

Regarding his interviews: I just don't like watching the guy talk -- at all. And he doesn't seem to have much of a sense of humor. Seems like there's always a chip on his shoulder also, like he's constantly waiting for someone to say the wrong thing so he can get "righteously indignant." LOL

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

His play in the majors will get his comments out and I like fast play!!! Get behind some amateur s that play slow for 100 plus shots then you wonder why they enjoy golf?

Driver Taylor SIM 2
3wd ping 425

5wd ping 425
Irons I500 Ping 4 - pw
ping answer 2 sig
58 ping eye-2
54 Jaws 4

2I driving iron Srixon New shaft carbon fiber steel
Titlist 1x