2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

2019 Tour Championship

Darth Putter

> @"Blade Junkie" said:

> Just a stupid gimmick on top of a stupid gimmick for me.

> And the Masters champion and The Open champion missing from the Top 30 ? ... OK then ....

Something seems off when Koepka isn't the clear #1 seed entering this event after the season he just had esp at the Majors. This tells me they don't weigh the Majors heavily enough with the FedEx point scoring..

As already mentioned above, the winner of the Northern Trust gets 2000 points but the winner of the Masters and Opens only gets 600 for the win?

By no means am I some huge Koepka fanatic but every casual golf fan on the planet knows that Brooks had the best season and the OWGR reflects it too.

> @"Blade Junkie" said:

> Just a stupid gimmick on top of a stupid gimmick for me.

> And the Masters champion and The Open champion missing from the Top 30 ? ... OK then ....

They knew the points criteria as much as anyone. If they wanted to be there this week, they could have played better, and/or more often. No sympathy.

• Like 1

> @cdnglf said:

> > @Cincy_Ken said:

> > > @cdnglf said:

> > > > @Cincy_Ken said:

> > > > > @cdnglf said:

> > > > > > @"Darth Putter" said:

> > > > > > > @bladehunter said:

> > > > > > > > @"Blade Junkie" said:

> > > > > > > > Just a stupid gimmick on top of a stupid gimmick for me.

> > > > > > > > And the Masters champion and The Open champion missing from the Top 30 ? ... OK then ....

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Yea I agree with that. You should want the 4 major winners in it. Why not make those 4 auto qualifiers and rank them based on points. As in tiger and Shane would be 31-32 and start at even.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > If they awarded a more reasonable 1000 FedEX Cup points for winning a major rather than just 600, we almost certainly wouldn't have that problem. Both of them would be in Atlanta with about a couple hundred points to spare.

> > > > >

> > > > > Brooks would be leading, and Rory in 3rd.

> > > >

> > > > And the previous "playoff" event relevance is diminished. I'm not opposed to giving a little more weight to majors but if you're going to have a playoffs then you need to emphasize on the playoff events. Tiger played in 12 events and won a major and didn't contend otherwise. Based off the strength of the major win he started inside the top 30 and couldn't hold the position he earned based mostly off one win. I don't see an issue with him not being there.

> > >

> > > Sure, I don’t have a problem with it either... mostly just looking to trigger the “Players is not a major” crowd. If the Tour decided to increase the points for majors, it is an absolute guarantee it would do the same for the Players.

> > >

> > > There’s always going to be debate over how the regular season is weighted vs the playoffs vs the final. IMO, the new system is an improvement over the previous one, but there is some goofiness around the OWGR and the “official win”.

> >

> > We're on the same page as far as that goes. I do not think the OWGR should award points this week. The guy who starts in #30 could beat #1 by a stroke but since he starts 10 strokes back he loses the tournament by 9. He's then could hypothetically be awarded the #1 ranking points for the week despite never facing any type of tournament pressure. I hate this getting ranking points more than I hate Tiger's silly season event getting points.

>

> I don’t like either, but I really hate the dumb 18 man field. And I extra hate the special hypocritical backdoor invites Tiger has given himself In the past.

>

> Best fix IMO is for the OWGR change the minimum field size to 60.

> @cdnglf said:

> > @Cincy_Ken said:

> > > @cdnglf said:

> > > > @Cincy_Ken said:

> > > > > @cdnglf said:

> > > > > > @"Darth Putter" said:

> > > > > > > @bladehunter said:

> > > > > > > > @"Blade Junkie" said:

> > > > > > > > Just a stupid gimmick on top of a stupid gimmick for me.

> > > > > > > > And the Masters champion and The Open champion missing from the Top 30 ? ... OK then ....

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Yea I agree with that. You should want the 4 major winners in it. Why not make those 4 auto qualifiers and rank them based on points. As in tiger and Shane would be 31-32 and start at even.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > If they awarded a more reasonable 1000 FedEX Cup points for winning a major rather than just 600, we almost certainly wouldn't have that problem. Both of them would be in Atlanta with about a couple hundred points to spare.

> > > > >

> > > > > Brooks would be leading, and Rory in 3rd.

> > > >

> > > > And the previous "playoff" event relevance is diminished. I'm not opposed to giving a little more weight to majors but if you're going to have a playoffs then you need to emphasize on the playoff events. Tiger played in 12 events and won a major and didn't contend otherwise. Based off the strength of the major win he started inside the top 30 and couldn't hold the position he earned based mostly off one win. I don't see an issue with him not being there.

> > >

> > > Sure, I don’t have a problem with it either... mostly just looking to trigger the “Players is not a major” crowd. If the Tour decided to increase the points for majors, it is an absolute guarantee it would do the same for the Players.

> > >

> > > There’s always going to be debate over how the regular season is weighted vs the playoffs vs the final. IMO, the new system is an improvement over the previous one, but there is some goofiness around the OWGR and the “official win”.

> >

> > We're on the same page as far as that goes. I do not think the OWGR should award points this week. The guy who starts in #30 could beat #1 by a stroke but since he starts 10 strokes back he loses the tournament by 9. He's then could hypothetically be awarded the #1 ranking points for the week despite never facing any type of tournament pressure. I hate this getting ranking points more than I hate Tiger's silly season event getting points.

>

> I don’t like either, but I really hate the dumb 18 man field. And I extra hate the special hypocritical backdoor invites Tiger has given himself In the past.

>

> Best fix IMO is for the OWGR change the minimum field size to 60.

I think that needs to happen. There's no reason someone should be able to insert themselves into a limited field event with no cut and tons of ranking points. The only way I'd accept smaller fields is if it's completely merit based like Sentry or Tour Championship (pre- handicapping of the tournament). There's too many exemptions based around ranking points for individuals to control entries into these events.

For those wondering, the OWGR estimate is for a first place total of 60 this week, which puts the Tour Championship in the Top 15 of all tournaments played worldwide to date. It will slot in one spot above or below the San Diego Open.

Tiger's Hero World Challenge in 2018 had the SoF that put it between the Hawaiian Open and Houston Open with a first place total of 48.

> @"Darth Putter" said:

> > @bladehunter said:

> > > @"Blade Junkie" said:

> > > Just a stupid gimmick on top of a stupid gimmick for me.

> > > And the Masters champion and The Open champion missing from the Top 30 ? ... OK then ....

> >

> >

> > Yea I agree with that. You should want the 4 major winners in it. Why not make those 4 auto qualifiers and rank them based on points. As in tiger and Shane would be 31-32 and start at even.

>

> If they awarded a more reasonable 1000 FedEX Cup points for winning a major rather than just 600, we almost certainly wouldn't have that problem. Both of them would be in Atlanta with about a couple hundred points to spare.

There is more chance of the Tour awarding 1000 points for winning The Players than there is the majors.

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

I wish the PGA Tour would stop acting like winning the FedEX Cup is some kind of career achievement goal and just call it what it is - a late season money grab by guys already assured of their cards for next year. There are some other perks like getting into all four majors and The Players by finishing in the top 30. Instead we get some janky scoring system for the Tour Championship to try and eliminate the perceived embarrassment of having one winner of that event and one of the FedEX Cup itself. I'm ok with them playing for all the $$ but lets not pretend its something prestigious. It's a trophy dash for a lot of dough. But please PGA Tour, stop p*ssing on me and telling me its raining.

Mizuno ST Max 230 10.5* - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 15/18 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 22 - LinQ Blue 75F4

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour 5-P  DG120 S300

Vokey SM9 50/54/60 - DGS200

Mizuno M-Craft II

CSX   

> @"the bishop" said:

> I wish the PGA Tour would stop acting like winning the FedEX Cup is some kind of career achievement goal and** just call it what it is - a late season money grab by guys already assured of their cards for next year**. There are some other perks like getting into all four majors and The Players by finishing in the top 30. Instead we get some janky scoring system for the Tour Championship to try and eliminate the perceived embarrassment of having one winner of that event and one of the FedEX Cup itself. I'm ok with them playing for all the $$ but lets not pretend its something prestigious. It's a trophy dash for a lot of dough. But please PGA Tour, stop p*ssing on me and telling me its raining.

Hmm.... I take it you're not in marketing.....

Anyway, IMO the whole Tour is just a bunch of trophy dashes for a lot of dough each week.

I also think the Fedex has increased in prestige pretty much every year. It's gaining some legitimacy, after a fairly awful start. It's definitely needed tweaks, but changing the scoring format 4 times in what 11 years? That's a bit much....

> @"the bishop" said:

> I wish the PGA Tour would stop acting like winning the FedEX Cup is some kind of career achievement goal and just call it what it is - a late season money grab by guys already assured of their cards for next year. There are some other perks like getting into all four majors and The Players by finishing in the top 30. Instead we get some janky scoring system for the Tour Championship to try and eliminate the perceived embarrassment of having one winner of that event and one of the FedEX Cup itself. I'm ok with them playing for all the $$ but lets not pretend its something prestigious. It's a trophy dash for a lot of dough. But please PGA Tour, stop p*ssing on me and telling me its raining.

Shame on you, FedEx Cup is awesome and compelling. Loved how they squeezed the only important events from April to July to make space for stupid FedEx Cup and stupid Players.

How many weeks till Augusta?

> @"Ignatius Reilly" said:

> > @"the bishop" said:

> > I wish the PGA Tour would stop acting like winning the FedEX Cup is some kind of career achievement goal and** just call it what it is - a late season money grab by guys already assured of their cards for next year**. There are some other perks like getting into all four majors and The Players by finishing in the top 30. Instead we get some janky scoring system for the Tour Championship to try and eliminate the perceived embarrassment of having one winner of that event and one of the FedEX Cup itself. I'm ok with them playing for all the $$ but lets not pretend its something prestigious. It's a trophy dash for a lot of dough. But please PGA Tour, stop p*ssing on me and telling me its raining.

> Hmm.... I take it you're not in marketing.....

>

> Anyway, IMO the whole Tour is just a bunch of trophy dashes for a lot of dough each week.

>

> I also think the Fedex has increased in prestige pretty much every year. It's gaining some legitimacy, after a fairly awful start. It's definitely needed tweaks, but changing the scoring format 4 times in what 11 years? That's a bit much....

>

I get marketing plenty. I have worked with the marketing teams for the last 20+ years in the biz I'm in. But if JT goes on to win the FedEX Cup. I mean c'mon. A great performance at an opportune time. Time missed with injury resulting in an overall decent year outside of the win. 5 top 10's before the win but none since February. An injury did slow his year but that's the point. Yet he gets all the cash? More power to him but prestige? Please.

Mizuno ST Max 230 10.5* - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 15/18 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 22 - LinQ Blue 75F4

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour 5-P  DG120 S300

Vokey SM9 50/54/60 - DGS200

Mizuno M-Craft II

CSX   

Tv ratings down for the Northern Trust, but a 7 year high for the BMW.

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-zzbtnHW_LZQ/WcAHAqYwEbI/AAAAAAAACn8/ASbZqRsgTr8W7GHy-rzT-vXUq3g5p1keACLcBGAs/s1600/nfl-today-the-greeks.jpg

With no Tiger, we'll see how far the tv ratings plunge against 2018. It will probably be more important how the ratings look against 2017 and before.

> @"Darth Putter" said:

> > @bladehunter said:

> > > And the Masters champion and The Open champion missing from the Top 30 ? ... OK then ....

> >

> >

> > Yea I agree with that. You should want the 4 major winners in it. Why not make those 4 auto qualifiers and rank them based on points. As in tiger and Shane would be 31-32 and start at even.

>

> If they awarded a more reasonable 1000 FedEX Cup points for winning a major rather than just 600, we almost certainly wouldn't have that problem. Both of them would be in Atlanta with about a couple hundred points to spare.

Is Rory reading my posts now?

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/rory-mcilroy-doesnt-sound-thrilled-with-the-new-fedex-cup-format

this whole scoring system is flat stupid. I predict that numbers will drop because of it. I seriously can't understand the point.

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 10.5* 

PXG Black Ops 3 wood hzrdus black

TaylorMade Qi10 Tour 5 wood 

PXG Black Ops 17* hybrid hzrdus black

TaylorMade P770 4-9 KBS Tour

TaylorMade  MG 46/52/58wedges

TaylorMade Tour X PROTO putter

I think it can be great. It’s the playoffs and essentially the championship game, not a tournament in the old sense. I think it deserves a fresh look from everyone. I think guys were firing at pins last week too trying for positions. (I know it was soft). Totally agree the points for majors should be doubled during the year and maybe upped in some premier events. I think tennis does this. Riviera, Phoenix, Bay hill, Memorial...

Guys in back need to go hard and guys in front have to handle it. Way better than two winners. I think Sunday will be fascinating. Couldn’t care less about the owrg and making this week gives more perks or the same as a win. (Masters, players, etc...)

How sunday afternoon turns out will probably heavily have an impact on how people will perceive this format afterwards. If someone in the last pairing stands there on 18 with a 12 foot putt for 15 megadollares commentators will be *rgasmic and all will be very well. Guess thats what the tour is looking for.

Or they do the 14 club challenge. 2nd place loses a club, 3rd another one etc. 15th place plays with whatever they can borrow from the crowd. Last place plays speed golf with putter only. Possibilities are infinite!

Callaway Paradym TD 10* Ventus Red TR 5S

Titleist TSR3 13.5* 3 Wood Tour AD-IZ 6S

Titleist TSR3 19* hybrid Modus GOST S

Titleist TSR2 24* hybrid Modus GOST S

Callaway Paradym Hybrid 27* Ventus non Velocore S

Titleist T100 2023 6-PW KBS Tour V S

Titleist SM8 50, 56, 60

Scotty Cameron X7.5 CS

> @snizzle said:

> > @"Blade Junkie" said:

> > Just a stupid gimmick on top of a stupid gimmick for me.

> > And the Masters champion and The Open champion missing from the Top 30 ? ... OK then ....

>

> Something seems off when Koepka isn't the clear #1 seed entering this event after the season he just had esp at the Majors. This tells me they don't weigh the Majors heavily enough with the FedEx point scoring..

> As already mentioned above, the winner of the Northern Trust gets 2000 points but the winner of the Masters and Opens only gets 600 for the win?

> By no means am I some huge Koepka fanatic but every casual golf fan on the planet knows that Brooks had the best season and the OWGR reflects it too.

When you have some consistency like Rory, 13 top 10s in 18 events with 2 wins and a runner up...Or someone like Brooks who has 8 top 10s, 3 wins and 3 runner ups (most of this being majors at that)...then JT who comes in and wins one tournament that happens to be just before the Tour Championship, who was injured and only had 6 top 10s AND his win was at a course that every pro said was EASY?? I just dont see how any of it makes sense...at all. Apparently a stellar and consistent season doesnt equal first in FedEx cup points...

I like golf. A lot.

> @TomBomb51 said:

> > @snizzle said:

> >

> > Something seems off when Koepka isn't the clear #1 seed entering this event after the season he just had esp at the Majors. This tells me they don't weigh the Majors heavily enough with the FedEx point scoring..

> > As already mentioned above, the winner of the Northern Trust gets 2000 points but the winner of the Masters and Opens only gets 600 for the win?

> > By no means am I some huge Koepka fanatic but every casual golf fan on the planet knows that Brooks had the best season and the OWGR reflects it too.

>

> When you have some consistency like Rory, 13 top 10s in 18 events with 2 wins and a runner up...Or someone like Brooks who has 8 top 10s, 3 wins and 3 runner ups (most of this being majors at that)...then JT who comes in and wins one tournament that happens to be just before the Tour Championship, who was injured and only had 6 top 10s AND his win was at a course that every pro said was EASY?? I just dont see how any of it makes sense...at all. Apparently a stellar and consistent season doesnt equal first in FedEx cup points...

Exactly. Reed stunk all year wins one event and was number 2 while Rory was consistent all year. They just can’t get it right

Koepka's putting coach was on Breed this morning talking about the system and what he would be telling his team and I thought it was a decent approach to keep your mind open. THOUGH I will say, how often has it actually happened?

"The Master's after 36 holes keeps those within 10 strokes of the lead. You have 72 holes this week to make up that ground, where as the Master's gives you 36." With the outlier being, which we have all said, JT goes out and shoots 64-66, this weekend is a big fail for FedEx and the PGA. I want to see how it plays out, but I still am skeptical.