Cleveland CBX 2 wedges

BAlberstadt

> @hwturner17 said:

> > @Weezer2 said:

> > CBX are beauties. They have made my chipping duffs go away. Agree if you put the technology of the CBX in an iron set they will be awesome GI irons.

>

> Ping i210's my dude! I actually tried the CBX because I felt like it matched the i210's

I’d argue the G410’s are more similar if a match with the CBX wedges than the i210’s.

Ping G430 Max 10.5 Tensei Orange AV Raw 55 Reg

Ping G430 SFT 5w 19* Alta Black Reg

Ping G430 SFT 7w 23* Alta Black Reg

Tour Edge Xrail 5h 26* Graphite Design G-Series Reg

Ping G425 6-UW Alta Slate Reg

Ping Glide 4.0 56* WS Nippon Z-115

Cleveland CBX Full Face 2 60* DG Spinner

Cleveland Smart Sole C 4.0 

Ping 2023 Anser D

Handicap: 8.2

> @"Big Ben" said:

> I’m suprised everyone immediately assumes the target market is simply high caps. One size does not fit all. I mean, who doesn’t want to hit the ball closer to the hole on shots that statistcially should help you score. It’s rained in the Midwest for basically two seasons now and sole width and bounce is definitely our friend. My ego starts and stops with the numbers on the scorecard.

These are tempting for me... but as a gap wedge. I currently play the RTX4's (50,54,58), but think a 50 CBX may be a good gap wedge (50) to closer match my Z745's.

> @gripandrip said:

> > @"Big Ben" said:

> > I’m suprised everyone immediately assumes the target market is simply high caps. One size does not fit all. I mean, who doesn’t want to hit the ball closer to the hole on shots that statistcially should help you score. It’s rained in the Midwest for basically two seasons now and sole width and bounce is definitely our friend. My ego starts and stops with the numbers on the scorecard.

>

> These are tempting for me... but as a gap wedge. I currently play the RTX4's (50,54,58), but think a 50 CBX may be a good gap wedge (50) to closer match my Z745's.

I used to use 50 CBX, 54 CBX and 58 CBX. Now, I am using 50 CBX and 56 RTX4. I wish CBX2 56 came in 10* bounce.

Driver: Ping G400 Max 10.5 Stock Alta (need shaft fitting)
Fairway Wood: Ryoma F5
Hybrid: TaylorMade M6 4H & 6H
Irons: OnOff Kuro 2015 6 - PW
Wedge: Cleveland RTX4 50, 54 and 58
Putter: S.C. GoLo 3
Ball: TaylorMade TP5X
Club hoe, builder, fitter and tester as hobbyist since 1993

I sent the specs for my order today, 54* shafted with a Modus 125 wedge shaft. My 60* will always be traditional however these 100-115yr shots are just to important. I want simple Consistency. I converted my gap wedge to match my iron set with huge success. This larger, wider more forgiving design melds perfectly. We shall see!

Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
Fairway: Titleist 917F2
Hybrid: A-Grind
2 iron: Ping Rapture
Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
Putter: Evnroll 9.1
Balls: ProV1

• Like 2

Woods: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9*, Ventus Blue 6S / TM Stealth Plus+, 15*, MCA Diamana Thump 75S
Hybrid: PXG 0317 X Proto 3H & 4H, Ventus Blue 7S

Irons: Takomo IRON 101, 5-PW, Accra T90i S
Wedges: Cleveland CBX ZipCore  48* Accra T90i S, 53* & 58*, Accra T100i S
Putter: Evnroll ER 1.2, Tour KBS GPS, 33",
 SuperStroke MidSlim 2.0
Ball: Maxfli Tour
Bag/Cart: Callaway Fairway 14 Stand Bag / Clicgear 4.0 / Alphard Club Booster V2 / V2 Swivel Kit
Accessories: Arccos 360 / Garmin G80 / Nikon Coolshot Pro Stabilized

Just placed an order for a 54*. I've never used the CBX's before, but I figure it's worth the money to see if it can help my short game.

Driver: TaylorMade SIM 8* (standard setting) with MCA Tensei AV Raw Orange 75TX at 44.5"
3W: TaylorMade M5 15* (standard setting) with Oban Devotion 8 O5 at 42"
Hybrid: PXG Gen 2 0317X 19* (standard setting) with Oban Kiyoshi Purple Hybrid O5 at 39.5"
4i-9i: Callaway '18 Apex MB's with KBS C-Taper 130X at 1/4" long
46: Callaway JAWS MD5 10S
50: Callaway JAWS MD5 10S
54: Callaway JAWS MD5 8C
58: Callaway JAWS MD5 8W
Putter: Kari Lajosi Custom DD201WB

> @Weezer2 said:

> CBX are beauties. They have made my chipping duffs go away. Agree if you put the technology of the CBX in an iron set they will be awesome GI irons.

Just realized I have been living under a rock the last two years. Cleveland does make CBX irons! https://www.clevelandgolf.com/en/irons-/launcher-cbx-irons-%28set%29/MLCBXI.html

Will have to try these out as the wedges are awesome.

> @dbdors said:

> > @Norboo said:

> > Any reviews o the new CBX2?

> https://www.golfunfiltered.com/blog/2019/8/16/review-cleveland-golf-cbx2-wedges

Thanks. I should have been more clear. I was hoping for comparison between the CBX wedge vs. CBX2.

Driver: Ping G400 Max 10.5 Stock Alta (need shaft fitting)
Fairway Wood: Ryoma F5
Hybrid: TaylorMade M6 4H & 6H
Irons: OnOff Kuro 2015 6 - PW
Wedge: Cleveland RTX4 50, 54 and 58
Putter: S.C. GoLo 3
Ball: TaylorMade TP5X
Club hoe, builder, fitter and tester as hobbyist since 1993

> @Norboo said:

> > @dbdors said:

> > > @Norboo said:

> > > Any reviews o the new CBX2?

> > https://www.golfunfiltered.com/blog/2019/8/16/review-cleveland-golf-cbx2-wedges

>

> Thanks. I should have been more clear. I was hoping for comparison between the CBX wedge vs. CBX2.

I think the face of the club is basically the same and while they moved a little more weight around to the perimeter that's not enough to make a noticeable difference (call it a 1-2% difference, we're talking inches not feet on your approach shots). Where there is a possible, significant, difference is that they switched from all the clubs having the same sole grind ("V") to putting an "S" grind in the sand wedge range (54-56) and a "C" grind in the lob wedge range (58-60). There's a really good reason why a ton of good golfers play gap wedges, sand wedges and lob wedges that are configured differently from a sole grind & bounce perspective. I think this is a big step in the right direction for the CBX 2's. A solid upgrade IMO.

• Like 1

Just received notification that my personalized CBX2 shipped and should be here Wednesday. Pictures and a review to follow shortly thereafter.

Driver: TaylorMade SIM 8* (standard setting) with MCA Tensei AV Raw Orange 75TX at 44.5"
Hybrid: PXG Gen 2 0317X 19* (standard setting) with Oban Kiyoshi Purple Hybrid O5 at 39.5"

> @Weezer2 said:

> I ordered a stock 50. Should be here Wednesday as well. What did you get customized?

I play my clubs 1 degree flat, with DG 120 X100 shafts, and with Navy and Yellow paint fill. Go Blue!

I found the origionals to be really ,really good except for hitting out of packed sand and traps with very little sand......Pretty much impossible for me and I have always been a good sand player......When I had these in my bag, I took my five wood out and carried an extra 58 degree vokey when playing a course with these conditions.

> @wobgon said:

> I found the origionals to be really ,really good except for hitting out of packed sand and traps with very little sand......Pretty much impossible for me and I have always been a good sand player......When I had these in my bag, I took my five wood out and carried an extra 58 degree vokey when playing a course with these conditions.

The fat soles with high effective bounce are great for full shots, soft fairways & rough but take some manipulation off hard pan, tight lies or hard packed sand. Essentially, take more loft (use the 60* out of the bunker) and use a smidge more forward shaft lean (this reduces the effective bounce).

> @RacineBoxer said:

> > @wobgon said:

> > I found the origionals to be really ,really good except for hitting out of packed sand and traps with very little sand......Pretty much impossible for me and I have always been a good sand player......When I had these in my bag, I took my five wood out and carried an extra 58 degree vokey when playing a course with these conditions.

>

> The fat soles with high effective bounce are great for full shots, soft fairways & rough but take some manipulation off hard pan, tight lies or hard packed sand. Essentially, take more loft (use the 60* out of the bunker) and use a smidge more forward shaft lean (this reduces the effective bounce).

Yep, that's what you need to do, but still, not good for me in the conditions I described.

Just arrived.

7bt4ndwstxxm.jpeg

qfy7j198eqqv.jpeg

7dpndse3sh4t.jpeg

8ba7mhz9n3gu.jpeg

xwkdq79gv0ou.jpeg

• Like 2

Got mine today too! Can’t wait to get out Sunday for a test run. I will post picks and my initial impressions early next week. BB

Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
Fairway: Titleist 917F2
Hybrid: A-Grind
2 iron: Ping Rapture
Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
Putter: Evnroll 9.1
Balls: ProV1

I’m going to get one. Currently using a 54 RTX4 and not finding it as easy to judge distance or make consistent contact as either my old 52 CBX or G410 SW, both of which I sold. My MD4s are safe though, I wouldn’t consider a CBX 2 in the higher lofts as they’re too Chucky. As a full-shot and a pitching club I think it’ll be ideal though. I’ll have a graphite shaft in it too to make it less of a jump from my irons.

> @JNY88 said:

> If you’re interested in these clubs I’d highly suggest ordering through Discount Dan’s. I wasn’t even really looking to purchase but they made me change my mind really quickly. Reach out to them and I think you’ll be equally as happy! Can’t wait to try these out and test against my originals.

DD is great. I ordered a driver from them earlier today and plan to call them back next week to order some irons, and I might order a 50 in one of these rather than the set gap wedge I was considering.

Just curious....what did they say to make you change your mind? Did you ask what they thought, or did you express indecision and they jumped in to make up your mind? I'm just trying to imagine how that conversation went because when I order from them, it's typically just going over specs. Then again, I haven't really asked too many questions or ever been in much doubt about my order...

Titleist TSR3 9 Diamana GT 60S | Ping G430 10.5 Tensei Pro Blue 60S 
Callaway Ai Smoke Max 16.5 Diamana ZF 70S | Titleist TSR2+ 14.5 Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 19H GD AD IZ 85S
Ping G425 22H GD AD IZ 85S
Callaway Apex '24 5-AW Nippon Tour 115S
Cleveland RTX6 54-10 & 58-10 Nippon 115 Wedge
Scotty 009M SSS

> @spring7 said:

> i buy a lot of wedges, and I bought a 52 original when they came out and really never used it-after some recent charting my biggest weakness has been swings inside of 120, I have been using that 52 (bent 51) for a few weeks and I am hitting more greens and closer to the flag then i have in 15 years - I ordered up a 56 today to compliment it and may add the new 60 next year. I have been coming to a realization of my skill set and age that i need club forgiveness.

>

>

I see that you have/had the PMP's, as well. Can you compare those with the CBX? I'm thinking of switching over to the CBX from my PMP Tour Grind.

Callaway Mavrik 9* w/ Aldila ROGUE White 130 M.S.I. 60
Callaway Mavrik 3 wood w/ Aldila ROGUE White 130 M.S.I. 70
Callaway Mavrik 3 hybrid w/ Project X Catalyst 75
PXG Gen 1 0311X 4 iron w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80
PXG Gen 5 0311 XP 5-7 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 5 0311 XP 8-GW w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 2 0311 Forged 54 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 2 0311 Forged 60 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

Titleist Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2 

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay in posting a review; I was wrapped up in a trial that is finally over with.

I didn't get to play at all this week, so instead of watching football all day today, I took this club and an 8-iron out to the range today and played on the range and in the sand a bit. This won't be a detailed review because I haven't used it enough, so think of this as more of a "first impressions" review.

My first impression is: WOW! This thing is ridiculous. I used it on the range for full shots and 3/4 shots, I used it on the short game range for chipping, and I hit it out of the sand multiple times. This club didn't let me down at any point and, even when I tried to make life difficult, it came through like a champ.

I was able to dial my distances in on full shots very easily and while I only hit two shots slightly away from the sweet spot (a little on the toe), I didn't notice a difference in feel, distance, or accuracy. What surprised me the most was how well this club glides through the turf on full shots when I was purposely trying to hit fat shots. I hit a few shots where I purposely tried to hit several inches behind the ball, and this club just glided through the turf like butter and laughed at my feeble attempts at chunking the ball.

While I likely wouldn't use a 54 for chipping all that often (or ever, really), it did really well in that application today. It's definitely a club that I would feel comfortable using for chipping if I had to.

This club also worked incredibly well out of the sand. The sand at my club is pretty soft so, for me, it is difficult to get really good contact at times. Like with my purposeful fat shots, this thing just glides through the sand and is a dream to use. The one "downside," if you can call it that, is that I'll have to re-learn the types of swings I need to use in the sand. Because this thing glides so well, I did have a few shots where the ball went much further than I expected. However, once I figured out what was going on, I just eased up on my swing a bit and that fixed it.

Overall, I'm very impressed and will likely be ordering three more of these wedges to complete my set. I'd like to get it out on the course a few times before I make that decision, but everything is pointing that way.

• Like 1