A Nice Day on the Course with a Stranger

Mullyman

I read an occasional horror story on here about individuals paired by the starter. Saturday I was paired with a young man who was one of the nicest guys I have met in these situations. He was a lot younger than I, a decent golfer who made the day very enjoyable. Although he did hit some errant shots and could not sink a put, he never demonstrated the anger I see at times nor did he ever utter a curse word.

The point of the post is I am told to share good news with friends and I consider this forum a great place to do so.

I've played with all types. Played the other week with a pair of brothers, where one of them was about to fight the ranger because said ranger called "us" out for trying to play thru a group. Have also been paired with guys who look like they'd never harm a mouse and were very friendly. Played with plus handicaps, and played with guys who could only drive the ball 180 and shot 120+.

Have met a few nice guys paired up as strangers that I keep in touch with and play with on a somewhat regular basis.

I've played with all types. Sometimes it can be pretty enjoyable talking to new people. It can be a problem when you get matched up with either a drunk or someone who yells and screams, basically a jerk, though. Recently was matched up with a couple of guys who really weren't very good and had no clue about how to keep moving around the course and keep up the pace. Other than walking faster and always getting to my ball to push them along they were fine and good company. Used to get very antsy about playing with strangers but it really doesn't bother me any more. And if no one can play that weekend or you can't get out as a single then you better get used to it.

I had a terrible round and it was still a great day because of the single I got paired with Saturday. We were slow because it was hot (108F) and he liked to look for balls (we both lost a bunch) but never saw another golfer so it wasn't like we were holding up the course. Hit some good shots and had great conversation for over 4 hours. I can think of worse ways to spend an afternoon.

Driver: Titleist 910 D2 9.75* Diamana Kai'li 65 Mid S 3W: Titleist 910F 16.5 * Diamana Kai'li 75 Mid R 3H: Titleist 910H 19 * Diamana Kai'li 80HYB Mid R 2I: TourModel III True Temper S 3-PW: Mizuno MP 60 True Temper Dynamic Gold S300 S SW: TourModel III True Temper S Putter: Cobra Anvil 005 Ball: Ksig 3 piece

Almost all of the strangers I've played been enjoyable, or at least not negative, to play with. I did play with two poor golfers who cursed, stomped and yelled continuously (I don't care if you are not a good golfer, I'm not either, but don't act like you should be making birdie on every hole). Somehow, I managed to maintain my concentration, and sort of stay in my own little bubble, and shot one of my best rounds ever. But the better side is that I played with one stranger last winter, and we've played together a couple time a month ever since. Friendly, relaxing guy to play with. Told me in early December that I'd shoot under 90 (I had done it before, but it had been a while) by the end of the year. December 29, 89!

Jeff, an Arizona hacker

I’d also go well into high %age of good people, I’d have a hard time remembering more than 2 or three real jerks. One time , playing with my dad ( Smithtown Landing on Long Island) we got paired with a real jerk. On 5 he hits into group ahead. The guy hit up on was huge and mad, my dad walks right at him and I’m thinking why are you doing that? Dad just points over his shoulder and says take it up with him. The big guy walks up to the jerk and dumps out his golf bag. The jerk walked off, we joined the big guy and his buddy for 13 holes, then beers and laughs.

• Like 1

Callaway Paradyn 9°
Ping G 3 W
Ping G 5W
Ping g400 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX 923 hot metal HL 5-GW
Vokey 50-08 sm8
Vokey 56-08 sm9
Spider Tour 34”

Most of the people in my golf group are just guys I've been paired with and exchanged numbers at the end of the round. We ended up grabbing some lunch together and became friends. A couple of years later, it's now this network of golf buddies. Its rare that we all get to play on the same day with our schedules and being able to book consecutive tee times. I think it has only happened twice and we ended up with four groups teeing off right behind one another. A great way to meet new people. A few of us usually do a dinner and drinks once a month with our significant others.

I think a lot of the experience has to do with your attitude. I have a friend who says every stranger is a friend I haven't me yet. After 30 years working as a LEO my approach sadly is every stranger is a potential problem unless proven otherwise. On the golf course though most of my experiences have been positive - a large majority in fact have made the round enjoyable. I have bailed on some a$$hats before after 9 holes as I couldn't stand to be around them for another minute, but for the most part as long as I don't let quirky pre-shot routines or the like bother me I enjoy playing with new people.

• Like 1

Ping G400 Max Tour AD DI

Ping G425 Tensi Orange 3W

Ping G30 5W Tensi Orange 5W

Ping G425 Hybrid Tensi Orange 4H

Ping G425 5-S Recoil 780 ES Smacwrap F4

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

Went to Montgomery Bell and got paired with these older gents who were just awesome to play with. i was the guy cussing and throwing tantrums, I try. I really hope to play with them again, and Montgomery Bell is one awesome course that is a must if you are near Nashville. A harder challenge is just up the road, Greystone. These are in Dickson, Tn.

Bag is in overhaul mode

Clubs identify as hacker set

Five of my best customers that I've had for over 20 years were met on the golf course by random chance. I could count on one hand the number of uncomfortable rounds I've had with strangers over the last 30 years. Golf is awesome.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

Callaway 2007 X-Forged 5-PW/ PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 / Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2.5+ 

Life is like riding a bicycle, to keep your balance you must keep moving

> @Edward_Majorwin said:

> I've got a handful of random golf partners now in my phone and have played with all of them for a second and third time.

> Matched my best ever 78 with two older dope smoking dudes a few weeks ago...they barely noticed me having the round of my life hahaha.

I played with those guys. Late 60s had one burning most of the day. I was impressed.

July 4, 2017. Royal Portrush. My Dad, brother and I check in to the golf shop before our tee time. Golf Shop tells us they're pairing us up with an employee from the Golf Channel. Turns out it was Curt Byrum, and we had an amazing time. Such a smooth swing. Told stories about life on tour, and playing Arnold Palmer in the 1990 Masters. Such an enjoyable experience. Afterwards, we exchanged numbers, and he had us out to the Northern Trust at Glen Oaks on Long Island, even had us up to the tower where he was calling shots on the 17th hole on Golf Channel. What a treat to see not only a live golf tournament, but to see how the commentators call shots on TV.

• Like 1

Driver Srixon ZX7 10.5* Tensai Blue 44.5 inches
3W: ZX Fairway 15* Rogue 70s
Hybrids: ZX Hybrid 3/4 Smoke Black 6.0 
Irons: ZX5 4 iron, ZX7 5-PW, Modus 120 2* upright, + 1/2 inch S300
Wedges: 52* RTX ZipCore RAW, RTX Full Face Black Tour Satin 58* DG Spinner Wedge Flex
Putter: FrontLine Elevado 35 inches

A friend of a friend got paired with Omeara and Tiger at Pebble (about 20 years ago). Tiger's deal is he did not want to talk to anyone during the round. Omera wanted company during the round so they invited him to join as a single as long as he promised to not interact at all with Tiger AT ALL.

Tiger did not acknowledge him the entire round. Then at the end thanked him profusely for not talking to him as he was 'working on something'. He then took him, his wife and Omera out for dinner that night. He said Tiger was super nice AFTER the round.

Funny story (the long version is even better).

The Good. Years ago I took a trip by myself to Colorado. Flew into Co. Springs and played the next day. Hooked up with a guy on first tee and we hit it off right away. Played again together and then next day he picked me up at 3am and we drove about three hours I think west. Was a trail off side road that was completely hidden. We went back and forth a bit then he found it. Old mining trail that wove itself up the mountain. Turn of century log cabins on the way up. Get to top and small lake and a mining shaft along with a couple old cabins. Could only get a little ways into mine cause of water and it had collapsed some. Climbed up to rim and the views were just amazing. On the way down we stopped at a brook and he caught some fish and had brought some fixings with him. Cast iron pan. Nothing ever tasted so good. We got back after midnight. This was before interweb so never saw him again. Had his address, he was married, and was planning to go back but never did. Unreal.

The Bad. End of trip went down to Pueblo to play the college course. It was wide open except for two 40ish guys and a woman. Joined up with them. Rest of round was them totally ignoring me. Helped them every time they lost a ball, even found one. Nothing. I lost ball couple times no help from them. About 8th hole I was hitting first and turned to add something to conversation....and one guy points to my ball and says "just tee off." Alrightythen. Last hole I chipped up last the woman took the pin out and put it across my line. I was away and they all putted out, turned and left. Not a word. Wanted to go into clubhouse but they were there and enough was enough. On first tee I asked to play thru to get out of their way and guy just turned and looked at woman who smirked. Should of known then it was going to be a long day.

Callaway Razr X Black 9.5 stiff
Callaway Razr X Black 4wd. stiff
Wilson CI9 4-gw. TT reg.
Cleveland RTG Wedges TT reg. 52,56.
MG ball
Cleveland Classic #4

probably 99% of my pairing experiences have been at least positive. I mean some weird dudes in there or whatever, but it's not like they weren't nice

Very few people post about positive experiences though so it seems as if there's all these jerks out there.

One of my favorites was when i got randomly paired with 2 guys from the Montreal Alouettes (our CFL team). At the time i had just finished playing college and was playing semi-pro while working. So we shared a lot of football stories.

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

> @2bGood said:

> A friend of a friend got paired with Omera and Tiger at Pebble (about 20 years ago). Tiger's deal is he did not want to talk to anyone during the round. Omera wanted company during the round so they invited him to join as a single as long as he promised to not interact at all with Tiger AT ALL.

>

> Tiger did not acknowledge him the entire round. Then at the end thanked him profusely for not talking to him as he was 'working on something'. He then took him, his wife and Omera out for dinner that night. He said Tiger was super nice AFTER the round.

>

> Funny story (the long version is even better).

Tiger probably wanted to bang your friend's friend's wife.

Kidding, sort of.

• Like 1

G430 10.5 | TM M3 17 | Adams A12 3-4 hybrid | Srixon ZX5 5-PW

Vokey 50/54/60 | TM TP Bandon 1 | Pro V1x

> @shortstop20 said:

> > @2bGood said:

> > A friend of a friend got paired with Omera and Tiger at Pebble (about 20 years ago). Tiger's deal is he did not want to talk to anyone during the round. Omera wanted company during the round so they invited him to join as a single as long as he promised to not interact at all with Tiger AT ALL.

> >

> > Tiger did not acknowledge him the entire round. Then at the end thanked him profusely for not talking to him as he was 'working on something'. He then took him, his wife and Omera out for dinner that night. He said Tiger was super nice AFTER the round.

> >

> > Funny story (the long version is even better).

>

> Tiger probably wanted to bang your friend's friend's wife.

> Kidding, sort of.

Or maybe Tiger is actually a pretty good dude and not wholly defined by his mistakes?

Grow up.

Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5 HZRDUS Smoke iM10 Green 60 TX 45.9" D3

Driver 2: Taylormade Burner Mini 11.5 HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 X D5

Fairway: PXG 0311XF Gen 5 4 Wood; Smoke iM10 Green 70 TX D6

Irons: PXG 0317X; PXG 0311T Gen 5; 5-GW DG 105 X D7

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 56 S Grind;  Cleveland RTX Full Face 64 DG 120 X E0

Putter: PXG Battle Ready Raptor 38” Wristlock Grip

> @PowderedToastMan said:

> > @shortstop20 said:

> > > @2bGood said:

> > > A friend of a friend got paired with Omera and Tiger at Pebble (about 20 years ago). Tiger's deal is he did not want to talk to anyone during the round. Omera wanted company during the round so they invited him to join as a single as long as he promised to not interact at all with Tiger AT ALL.

> > >

> > > Tiger did not acknowledge him the entire round. Then at the end thanked him profusely for not talking to him as he was 'working on something'. He then took him, his wife and Omera out for dinner that night. He said Tiger was super nice AFTER the round.

> > >

> > > Funny story (the long version is even better).

> >

> > Tiger probably wanted to bang your friend's friend's wife.

> > Kidding, sort of.

> Or maybe Tiger is actually a pretty good dude and not wholly defined by his mistakes?

>

> Grow up.

>

I'm a huge Tiger fan, it was a joke.

G430 10.5 | TM M3 17 | Adams A12 3-4 hybrid | Srixon ZX5 5-PW

Vokey 50/54/60 | TM TP Bandon 1 | Pro V1x

> @shortstop20 said:

> > @PowderedToastMan said:

> > > @shortstop20 said:

> > > > @2bGood said:

> > > > A friend of a friend got paired with Omera and Tiger at Pebble (about 20 years ago). Tiger's deal is he did not want to talk to anyone during the round. Omera wanted company during the round so they invited him to join as a single as long as he promised to not interact at all with Tiger AT ALL.

> > > >

> > > > Tiger did not acknowledge him the entire round. Then at the end thanked him profusely for not talking to him as he was 'working on something'. He then took him, his wife and Omera out for dinner that night. He said Tiger was super nice AFTER the round.

> > > >

> > > > Funny story (the long version is even better).

> > >

> > > Tiger probably wanted to bang your friend's friend's wife.

> > > Kidding, sort of.

> > Or maybe Tiger is actually a pretty good dude and not wholly defined by his mistakes?

> >

> > Grow up.

> >

>

> I'm a huge Tiger fan, it was a joke.

Yeah? You’d say that “joke” to Tiger’s face, as a fan and all?

It was actually just a cheap shot.

Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5 HZRDUS Smoke iM10 Green 60 TX 45.9" D3

Driver 2: Taylormade Burner Mini 11.5 HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 X D5

Fairway: PXG 0311XF Gen 5 4 Wood; Smoke iM10 Green 70 TX D6

Irons: PXG 0317X; PXG 0311T Gen 5; 5-GW DG 105 X D7

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 56 S Grind;  Cleveland RTX Full Face 64 DG 120 X E0

Putter: PXG Battle Ready Raptor 38” Wristlock Grip

Earlier in the year I was out, maybe 3 holes in and an older gentlemen roles up on a cart. He passed up a pair behind me and asked if he could join, I was walking the course that day so I thought sure why not. We ended up playing the rest of the round together and it was actually a nice time. I will admit that I was a little thrown off at first.

> @PowderedToastMan said:

> > @shortstop20 said:

> > > @2bGood said:

> > > A friend of a friend got paired with Omera and Tiger at Pebble (about 20 years ago). Tiger's deal is he did not want to talk to anyone during the round. Omera wanted company during the round so they invited him to join as a single as long as he promised to not interact at all with Tiger AT ALL.

> > >

> > > Tiger did not acknowledge him the entire round. Then at the end thanked him profusely for not talking to him as he was 'working on something'. He then took him, his wife and Omera out for dinner that night. He said Tiger was super nice AFTER the round.

> > >

> > > Funny story (the long version is even better).

> >

> > Tiger probably wanted to bang your friend's friend's wife.

> > Kidding, sort of.

> Or maybe Tiger is actually a pretty good dude and not wholly defined by his mistakes?

>

> Grow up.

>

I will ignore the joke. The story always intrigued me though. He went out and practiced his MENTAL game for 5 hours. I am sure it was not the first or last time. To his credit the teller of the story say he was great to hang out with after the round, super polite and a pleasure to have dinner with. The person who got paired with him and his wife were about 20 years older than him at the time.

> @Qqq123xx said:

> The Bad. End of trip went down to Pueblo to play the college course. It was wide open except for two 40ish guys and a woman. Joined up with them. Rest of round was them totally ignoring me. Helped them every time they lost a ball, even found one. Nothing. I lost ball couple times no help from them. About 8th hole I was hitting first and turned to add something to conversation....and one guy points to my ball and says "just tee off." Alrightythen. Last hole I chipped up last the woman took the pin out and put it across my line. I was away and they all putted out, turned and left. Not a word. Wanted to go into clubhouse but they were there and enough was enough. On first tee I asked to play thru to get out of their way and guy just turned and looked at woman who smirked. Should of known then it was going to be a long day.

There has to be something more to that story. You say you joined up with them but had asked to play through on the first tee? I get why you asked to go ahead but how did you end up with them? They invited you along and then ignored you the whole day?

Meeting people is most of the fun I have golfing. I naturally have a gift for gab and like talking to everyone from the big corpo dogs that run America, judges and lawyers, cops, blue collar workers, athletes and everyone alike. You don’t know who you’re gonna golf with. That’s part of the flavor. Because of where I play, who I play with and my interaction with them, I have a lot of opportunities in my town just from golfing. I’ve played with reps from almost every major brand now and that has its perks too. They all wanna promote their stuff just as much as the head of marketing. Club designers are some of the coolest people to talk to in the golf industry.

There is the occasion whack job who doesn’t get that he is a bit mentally unhinged but, hey, you gotta be cool with a 2 to appreciate a 10.

Just be nice. Play as fast as them. Be a friendly golfer and golf will pay you back in spades.

i play golf alone or just a twosome so often. I get paired on the first tee all the time. i think for the most part, people are generally really nice and have not really had too many horror stories. sure, i've had a few slow players but generally its been good experiences. I think most people are out to have a good time and have a general idea of etiquette.

I play solo 75% of the time, I get out mid day during the week so really never have issues getting paired up with strangers. On the rare occasion when I do I've never had any issues, usually turns into an enjoyable round. I can't remember the last time I had a terrible time, awkward for sure but nothing too bad. Any horror stories lately?

Taylormade Sim2 9*   Lagp axs blue 6x

Taylormade 300 mini 13.5  lagp axs blue 7x

Callaway UW 17  ventus black 7x  

Taylormade sim2 rescue 22  ventus blue 8x

Srixon 945's 4-pw KBS $ Taper HT 125

Cbx2 kbs 610  50/56  Cbx zipcore 60

Scotty special select squareback accra fx 3.0