2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Swing Machine Golf -Paul Wilson

Willbill

Seriously, you joined in 2013, this is your third post, and it reads like you are a shill directing us to another site? Instead of marketing magical improvements in your and your wife's games, how about describing what you changed in your swing instead of advertising for Paul Wilson; that is, how about telling us what the key movements of this great swing is, as right now for all we know it is a repackaged Jim Venetos OTT hatchet burying?

I am giving you the benefit of the doubt by not reporting abuse of forum rules, as your posts screams marketing spam, and not quietly.

If I do this 11,548 more times, I will be having fun. - Zippy the Pinhead

> @Willbill said:

> I just wanted to post something about Paul Wilson and Swing Machine Golf, I know it's been around a few years and has previously been discussed however it is absolutely worth looking into. In my opinion, very much a 2 plane swing and fits well with many senior golfers that lack the flexibility to execute a one plane swing. If I could I would swing one plane but the back simply says no, arms up, shoulders turning relatively flat is a swing that allows me to play most days. I've played this game for many years, started at 14 and now 60, I have never hit the ball as consistently far or as straight as I do now and my handicap has varied between 3 and 6 throughout. I've been keen on Paul's Swing Machine Golf theory for several years, -the powerless arms and the free hinge of the wrists are almost counter intuitive but very effective, lately I've been trying to teach my wife the swing and have been exaggerating both of these points as well as the rotation to try and teach her the swing. The net result is that she has significantly improved clubhead speed as well as direction and so have I. Just looking back at the book and his video's he has covered everything needed to play this game well into old age, ( or at any age) I checked my swing speed radar in the back yard the other day and could swing consistently between 105 and 110mph, I remember working hard to get the speed up to around 100mph a few years ago. It's not often you ever get more for less effort but in this case you really can. I know there are many ways to swing a golf club but this is absolutely worth a shot ! - and for the record I have no yff21v2vd3qk.png

to Paul Wilson, I just think his stuff is simple, inspired and possibly pure genius !

No affiliation, eh?

I’ll bite.

When I look at Paul Wilson’s swing I actually don’t see that he gets his speed primarily from his loose arms or flippy wrists. If he did we could all try that in 5 mins experimentation at the range and be hitting the ball 20 yards farther.

What I see in his swing is a really powerful hip rotation based on him really using the ground and his leg and glute muscles. I don’t interpret it as much that the ‘arm thing’ works as much as his hip speed enables him to generate good swing speed without using his arms as much as he could.

I don’t believe the average joe can easily learn to use their hips like that, so maybe that’s why he doesn’t emphasize that aspect as much as he could?

> @PorscheFan said:

> I’ll bite.

>

> When I look at Paul Wilson’s swing I actually don’t see that he gets his speed primarily from his loose arms or flippy wrists. If he did we could all try that in 5 mins experimentation at the range and be hitting the ball 20 yards farther.

>

> What I see in his swing is a really powerful hip rotation based on him really using the ground and his leg and glute muscles. I don’t interpret it as much that the ‘arm thing’ works as much as his hip speed enables him to generate good swing speed without using his arms as much as he could.

>

> I don’t believe the average joe can easily learn to use their hips like that, so maybe that’s why he doesn’t emphasize that aspect as much as he could?

IIRC that's precisely what he says in one of his videos. He teaches that to increase swing speed and distance you speed up the hips. It's hip turn and loose arms to avoid the habit of putting tension in the arms and trying to manipulate the club face. He markets it to older golfers and those with bad backs but, while I qualify in the former category I just cannot get my hips to drive my swing, mainly because I have issues with my back that tend to make it difficult to stay in posture (probably there are other, non-physical issues as well but the physical are bad enough).

I don't think his method is a magic cure or is for everybody, but I DO know older folk (I tend to hang around them a lot) who use it and hit the ball very well. Everyone has a little marketing in them but I would give Paul the benefit of the doubt when it comes to getting people to shill for him. I would be surprised and dismayed if that were true.

• Like 1

Harry Redknapp on signing good-looking Portuguese winger Dani, he told reporters:

"My missus fancies him. Even I don't know whether to play him or f**k him."

PorscheFan,

You are correct that Wilson gets his speed from his hips and legs. Focusing on the loose arms and floppy wrists misses his point in calling it swing machine golf. SMG is based on the idea of swinging like Iron Byron (why not Byron Nelson?). More specifically, he proposes a swing where the coiling and uncoiling of the body driving extended arms is the human equivalent of of Iron Byron's drive shaft powering its arm which that holds the club. So one source of power is the body. Paul also saw that Iron Byron rotates the club face from open in the downswing to closed on the follow through, and he translated that to the wrists whipping the club from open in the downswing to square at impact to closed in the follow through. He thought the majority of the power Iron Byron generated came from the action it used to whip the club from open to square to closed.

> @Willbill said:

> Go report abuse of forum rules, with over 2000 posts you clearly have an awful lot to say for yourself, if your post isn't abusive I don't know what is !

> @nlk10010 said:

> > @PorscheFan said:

> > I’ll bite.

> >

> > When I look at Paul Wilson’s swing I actually don’t see that he gets his speed primarily from his loose arms or flippy wrists. If he did we could all try that in 5 mins experimentation at the range and be hitting the ball 20 yards farther.

> >

> > What I see in his swing is a really powerful hip rotation based on him really using the ground and his leg and glute muscles. I don’t interpret it as much that the ‘arm thing’ works as much as his hip speed enables him to generate good swing speed without using his arms as much as he could.

> >

> > I don’t believe the average joe can easily learn to use their hips like that, so maybe that’s why he doesn’t emphasize that aspect as much as he could?

>

> IIRC that's precisely what he says in one of his videos. He teaches that to increase swing speed and distance you speed up the hips. It's hip turn and loose arms to avoid the habit of putting tension in the arms and trying to manipulate the club face. He markets it to older golfers and those with bad backs but, while I qualify in the former category I just cannot get my hips to drive my swing, mainly because I have issues with my back that tend to make it difficult to stay in posture (probably there are other, non-physical issues as well but the physical are bad enough).

>

> I don't think his method is a magic cure or is for everybody, but I DO know older folk (I tend to hang around them a lot) who use it and hit the ball very well. Everyone has a little marketing in them but I would give Paul the benefit of the doubt when it comes to getting people to shill for him. I would be surprised and dismayed if that were true.

Nlk,

Thank you for your viewpoint and the added info as to the SMG swing. I really wanted the OP to go into the details of what he found in the SMG swing and how it changed his swing, as that is informative. Just saying "it's great great for me, go use it" doesn't tell us what is great about it, instead it reads just like the 20 some 5 star reviews of Paul's book on Amazon.

I would be interested in what makes this swing easier on the back and what makes other swings hard on the back. So some idea of the original hard on the back swing and the changes SMG made that caused the new swing to be easier on the back would be informative.

> @Willbill said:

> Go report abuse of forum rules, with over 2000 posts you clearly have an awful lot to say for yourself, if your post isn't abusive I don't know what is !

Rereading your original post, I find I was a bit hard on you.

You did include that you implemented SMG as a two plane swing with flat shoulder turn and arms up and that this is easier on your back than a one plane swing. You also noted the powerless arm and free wrists concept gives you better club head speed.

In what I have read of SMG, the arms stay extended and passive. I am not sure how that applies to arms up. I am also curious how a theory based on Iron Byron ends up with a two plane swing. Could you clarify that for me?

I may have overreacted, but there have been so many cases of low post count shills that it is easy to read testimonials as shilling when the poster has no history of discussing swings.

I don't know a lot about the Paul Wilson approach so this thread has been a bit of an education to me.

Regardless of the merits of his particular approach I do like the fact that there are instructors focused on the everyday golfer with physical restrictions. It's a significant portion of the golfing population.

Ping G425 LST 9° - Tour 65 X

Titleist TSi2 - 15° - Tensei AV Raw Blue 75 X

Callaway Apex Pro - 18° - Aldila NV Green 85 X

Titleist T100/T100S - 4-PW - Project X 6.0
Vokey SM8 50/54/58 - Black 
Taylor Made Spider Mini