Alignment

chadly643

What sort of things are you folks doing to ensure proper alignment when you are playing? On the range I practice with alignment rods to keep myself in check, but lately I have been finding myself setting up more and more right of the target when the alignment sticks aren’t there. Proper parallel left to the target line feels so open to the target especially with long irons and woods.

Imagine an eye in the palm of your right hand. Line the imaginary eye up with the target and build your set up around that.

Also, when you practice place an alignment rod a couple of feet in front of your ball on the flight line. This will help you line up your club face and you can build your set up around your square club face.

Make sure to always look downrange before every shot when working with your alignment sticks on the range. It helps you familiarize yourself with the "downrange look" you get when properly aligned. I do this before every round just to make sure.

BT

Dr#1 Cobra Speedzone 10.5 – HZRDUS Yellow HC 65 TX @ 46”
Dr#2 Mizuno STZ 220 9.5 (10.5) - HZRDUS Smoke IM10 65 Low TX @ 46"

Mizuno ST190 15 - HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 43"
Mizuno STZ 220 18- HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 42"
Mizuno MP15 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Cobra MIM Wedges 52, 56 & 60 – stock KBS Hi-Rev @ 35.5”

Odyssey V-Line Stroke Lab 33.5"
Grips - Grip Master Classic Wrap Midsize

There is no functional difference between aligning yourself to the target and parallel left of the target...and the further away the target is, the more true this becomes. It’s a small fraction of a degree difference.

Maybe when you think you are aligning parallel left, you really are open to the target?

What does it really mean to align yourself to the target? Along your heel line? Along your toe line? Clubface square to target? Why should we believe that our heel line dictates where the ball goes? I can stand 'open' and hit the ball many different directions. Same with a 'closed' stance. As far as the clubface goes, it's not at the same orientation at address as it is at impact. How about looking at the target or an intermediate target? We're looking at the ball when we swing. Why would it matter if we looked at it before we swung. So, seriously, what does alignment really mean?

Try this. Pick a spot on your target line a couple of feet ahead of your ball. Approach the ball from the side and line your clubface up directly with this spot, next, take your grip and stance with your feet together and the club head directly in the middle of your feet making sure that your hips, shoulders, knees are square to your clubface. Finish your set up by stepping your feet out to set your ball position, (if you want to play the ball in the middle of your stance, take an equal step left, (left foot), and right, (right foot), to place the ball in the middle.

• Like 1

> @DShepley said:

> Try this. Pick a spot on your target line a couple of feet ahead of your ball. Approach the ball from the side and line your clubface up directly with this spot, next, take your grip and stance with your feet together and the club head directly in the middle of your feet making sure that your hips, shoulders, knees are square to your clubface. Finish your set up by stepping your feet out to set your ball position, (if you want to play the ball in the middle of your stance, take an equal step left, (left foot), and right, (right foot), to place the ball in the middle.

>

Not a bad procedure, one of many that will work. The key is to develop a procedure, a routine if you will, and then follow it on every shot you hit. Only then will you become consistent.

I write however to say how important alignment is. If you want to swing the cub in the simplest way, without manipulation, being aligned correctly is absolutely required if you are to hit target. Misalignment will result in either you missing your target, or will require manipulation to hit it, which manipulation will produce inconsistency. Therefore work on alignment with every ball you hit.

Steve

• Like 1

Wow. What an interesting discussion this has sparked. I find it very interesting to try and assign a value to alignment. At 300 yards I imagine a few degrees of aim can equate to a number of yards right or left of the target. Because we stand to the side of the ball this is such a complicated thing. I’m certainly jealous of folks that this doesn’t seem to be a major factor for. For me, I definitely notice a difference in my swing based on my alignment. The most challenging tee shots on my home course are those where the tee box is offset from the fairway. I appreciate the tips and the discussion this has sparked.

I use my club to point at the target and pick a spot off that. I don't worry much about alignment though as it's just another thing to second guess yourself from. If it looks off or I just feel uncomfortable about it I'll restart my routine.

If you're using rods during practice it should help to train yourself what being aligned properly looks and feels like. It should help build some confidence knowing you're aligning correctly. If I had one tip it would be that if you feel like you're aligned incorrectly, stop, pull back and restart. Feel is reel when it comes to negative thoughts. If you feel like you're going to hit a bad shot, you probably will.

In search of solid contact...

> @juststeve said:

> > @DShepley said:

> > Try this. Pick a spot on your target line a couple of feet ahead of your ball. Approach the ball from the side and line your clubface up directly with this spot, next, take your grip and stance with your feet together and the club head directly in the middle of your feet making sure that your hips, shoulders, knees are square to your clubface. Finish your set up by stepping your feet out to set your ball position, (if you want to play the ball in the middle of your stance, take an equal step left, (left foot), and right, (right foot), to place the ball in the middle.

> >

>

> Not a bad procedure, one of many that will work. The key is to develop a procedure, a routine if you will, and then follow it on every shot you hit. Only then will you become consistent.

>

> I write however to say how important alignment is. If you want to swing the cub in the simplest way, without manipulation, being aligned correctly is absolutely required if you are to hit target. Misalignment will result in either you missing your target, or will require manipulation to hit it, which manipulation will produce inconsistency. Therefore work on alignment with every ball you hit.

>

> Steve

Thanks Steve, alignment is incredibly important it's easy for things to get out of sorts if you start creeping open or closed. I used to tend to creep open and lining up to a spot directly in front of my ball has helped me a lot.

I've noticed that where my feet are pointed relative to where I aim is a direct product of the shot to come. If my feet are 20 yards left of target and I then aim at target I get a draw/hook. If my feet line up to target and I aim at target I get a straight push, if I aim left of my feet I get a fade. The thing is it's so dependent on this that when I know I am lined up and aimed correctly I can swing as hard/fast as I can and it sticks to the line

I've had a big scoring breakthrough this year due to keeping my Driver/3w/hybrid in play. This is directly due to alignment. For years I have suffered from hooking my long clubs. I got really fed up earlier this year and went to the range and worked hard on my alignment with sticks. What I discovered was that after I would line up to the intermediate point I would look down range at my target and I was subconsciously moving my feet closed(I think this was due to the visual parallax). Once I discovered this I would line up and then never look up at the target. My hook has completely disappeared. I basically miss a little bit both ways with my big miss here and there now being a block.

Depends what shot you tend to play on a regular basis. I typically line up open and it gives me the cut or the baby fade that I am so used to. I think alignment sticks are good if you want to square up things on a range but for me, you have to see if you can replicate it without the sticks.

Cobra LTD 9* TP6HD
Cobra Big Tour 14.5* TP7HD 

Cobra F6 Baffler 19* Kiyoshi Purple

Wilson Staff Staff Blades 3-PW Recoil I95 stiff 

Wilson PMP 52/56 Raw

Titliest SquareBack LA 135 

Vice Pro+ Lime Green Goodness

> @MountainGoat said:

> What does it really mean to align yourself to the target? Along your heel line? Along your toe line? Clubface square to target? Why should we believe that our heel line dictates where the ball goes? I can stand 'open' and hit the ball many different directions. Same with a 'closed' stance. As far as the clubface goes, it's not at the same orientation at address as it is at impact. How about looking at the target or an intermediate target? We're looking at the ball when we swing. Why would it matter if we looked at it before we swung. So, seriously, what does alignment really mean?

>

Agree with this. Every player has a correct spot. But. Each shot requires adjustments. I don’t use alignment rods , I find them aggravating just to setup. And certainly don’t give a lot of credence to face aiming at a set spot at address. I’ll adjust mine to suit the release of the day. If I’m hitting straight balls I’ll play it slightly open for a fade. But on good days I play it dead square ( which looks shut to my eye ) for a fade as it keeps it from leaking right. And also some days play a draw with an open face at address to guard from a hook. But on some days a draw is harder. So I’ll start it slightly shut right at the target. All depends. When we try to mechanize this game , We fail ....in my opinion. I’m guilty of it too. But I always just go back to instinct. Divot compared to flight compared to face impact. And adjust. Always adjusting. When you’re on , you don’t even look at either.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I always feel like I struggle with alignment and set up. I know that if I would just have a pre-shot routine it would help but I haven't really found anything that works for me every time. When I hit a bad shot or a few in a row, I scrap everything and try to fix it. It seems so simple but for some reason I struggle too. You are not alone.

> @MountainGoat said:

> What does it really mean to align yourself to the target? Along your heel line? Along your toe line? Clubface square to target? Why should we believe that our heel line dictates where the ball goes? I can stand 'open' and hit the ball many different directions. Same with a 'closed' stance. As far as the clubface goes, it's not at the same orientation at address as it is at impact. How about looking at the target or an intermediate target? We're looking at the ball when we swing. Why would it matter if we looked at it before we swung. So, seriously, what does alignment really mean?

>

I totally agree with this brilliantly insightful comment. Increasingly for me, alignment comprises the sum of body positions that allow me to swing freely toward the target. The first part of that is a grip that freely sets and releases. The second part is an orientation of my upper body that allows me to freely rotate my shoulders along the target line. The third part is a foot position that allows me to drive thru the ball to a full finish. That may sound mechanical, but I assure you it's all visualization and feel. And none of it has anything to do with alignment rods and pointing things in the right direction. I've got a pre-shot routine that walks me thru the process as efficiently as possible. Also, I play single length clubs, so once I've solved the riddle for one club, I've got it for all clubs. When I get it locked in for the day, the feeling is delicious.

> @chadly643 said:

> What sort of things are you folks doing to ensure proper alignment when you are playing? On the range I practice with alignment rods to keep myself in check, but lately I have been finding myself setting up more and more right of the target when the alignment sticks aren’t there. Proper parallel left to the target line feels so open to the target especially with long irons and woods.

do you have access to chris como's _swing expedition_? there was a recent episode where xander schaufelle shares some of the things he does to keep his alignment consistent, including squaring his club face up with a straight edge near the tee box.

> @DShepley said:

> Try this. Pick a spot on your target line a couple of feet ahead of your ball. Approach the ball from the side and line your clubface up directly with this spot, next, take your grip and stance with your feet together and the club head directly in the middle of your feet making sure that your hips, shoulders, knees are square to your clubface. Finish your set up by stepping your feet out to set your ball position, (if you want to play the ball in the middle of your stance, take an equal step left, (left foot), and right, (right foot), to place the ball in the middle.

>

This is good general advice on how to properly align yourself up square to target. For myself I tend to align with shoulders open on long irons, hybrid, and woods, any club that is forward in my stance. So I have to feel like my shoulders are closed to target to maintain them square. If I want to check myself I will hold my club up to my shoulders to see where the butt end is pointing. I now only have to do this if I notice myself pulling shots consistently. Just another thing to consider.

Apparently, removing all clubs that are too long for me has allowed my body and eyes to figure out alignment without me fighting myself constantly ... a pleasant surprise as I have struggled with alignment for years.

Wilson Deep Red II Tour (9.0)
King Cobra SZ (15.5), G10 HY (18, 21, 24)
MP-32 5i - 9i, Vokey SM5 50, 54 (F), 58 (M)
Rife Aussie

> @chadly643 said:

> What sort of things are you folks doing to ensure proper alignment when you are playing? On the range I practice with alignment rods to keep myself in check, but lately I have been finding myself setting up more and more right of the target when the alignment sticks aren’t there. Proper parallel left to the target line feels so open to the target especially with long irons and woods.

If proper alignment is important for you to hit good shots, then you need to practice it. I mean like aligning yourself on the range without an alignment rod (but keep one handy), then place the alignment rod down to match your alignment and then check if it's correct. I.e. don't start with the alignment rod.

I've gone back and forth over the years on full-body alignment. I had an instructor once who liked to say, "you don't hit the ball with your feet". I always felt like I could make a face/path combination that was good as long as my body was close.

But, this year, I actually did start to focus on alignment on the range and it has helped me on the course. More than anything, I feel like my body makes a more efficient movement when I'm lined up correctly. I've been a bit straighter and a bit longer and I'm hitting more greens.

I've gone from 9 GIR (on average) between May 1st and July 1st to over 10 GIR between July 1st and yesterday.

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

> @hacker49 said:

> > @DShepley said:

> > Try this. Pick a spot on your target line a couple of feet ahead of your ball. Approach the ball from the side and line your clubface up directly with this spot, next, take your grip and stance with your feet together and the club head directly in the middle of your feet making sure that your hips, shoulders, knees are square to your clubface. Finish your set up by stepping your feet out to set your ball position, (if you want to play the ball in the middle of your stance, take an equal step left, (left foot), and right, (right foot), to place the ball in the middle.

> >

> This is good general advice on how to properly align yourself up square to target. For myself I tend to align with shoulders open on long irons, hybrid, and woods, any club that is forward in my stance. So I have to feel like my shoulders are closed to target to maintain them square. If I want to check myself I will hold my club up to my shoulders to see where the butt end is pointing. I now only have to do this if I notice myself pulling shots consistently. Just another thing to consider.

>

Yes, lots to consider for sure. The most important part is that you have a routine to do it the same each time. There are several holes at my home club where the tee blocks are off center from the desired line, visually, this makes me want to open up. Picking the intermediate spot in front of the ball prevents the tendency to open my shoulders.

Not sure if this is the correct place to ask, but here goes. Do you take some of the same Alignment principles with your Woods, and Irons and transfer that to your Putting? Like many have said, I feel that my Alignment is often to the right. Any additional tips and suggestions are tremendously appreciated.

Proper alignment, IMO, is a bit of a fallacy and is something most golfers worry way too much about. I think for the most part you don’t want to be significantly mis-aligned, but if you’re a little closed or a little open it’s not likely to affect you that much.

I would say that it’s probably more important to guard against being too closed or open based on your swing. Somebody that doesn’t get the hands very deep at the top of the swing should probably work against being too closed. Conversely, deep hands at the top a person should probably guard against being too open.

For myself, I don’t have terribly deep hands at the top of the swing and it’s hard for me to play for a draw because it either doesn’t draws or draws too much. And sometimes when my stance is too closed, it’s hook-city. So I know if I have a shot that I can’t miss left, I’ll make sure my stance is not closed because that’s the best way to prevent it. But, I hardly ever aim perfectly and it rarely has a major impact on my shot.

RH

> @RichieHunt said:

> Proper alignment, IMO, is a bit of a fallacy and is something most golfers worry way too much about. I think for the most part you don’t want to be significantly mis-aligned, but if you’re a little closed or a little open it’s not likely to affect you that much.

>

> I would say that it’s probably more important to guard against being too closed or open based on your swing. Somebody that doesn’t get the hands very deep at the top of the swing should probably work against being too closed. Conversely, deep hands at the top a person should probably guard against being too open.

>

> For myself, I don’t have terribly deep hands at the top of the swing and it’s hard for me to play for a draw because it either doesn’t draws or draws too much. And sometimes when my stance is too closed, it’s hook-city. So I know if I have a shot that I can’t miss left, I’ll make sure my stance is not closed because that’s the best way to prevent it. But, I hardly ever aim perfectly and it rarely has a major impact on my shot.

>

>

>

> RH

>

I tend to agree, but do you have a routine that at least ensures that you are consistent? I play with a guy who over time starts to creep further and further closed, to the point that at it's worst he is aiming 20-30 right of his target, (depending on his distance from the hole). This requires a lot of compensation for him to hit it at the target. I'm talking about a very gradual thing here, it's not like one day he is aiming square and the next he is all of a sudden super closed, but over time it creeps there if you know what I mean.

> @MountainGoat said:

> > @MountainGoat said:

> > What does it really mean to align yourself to the target? Along your heel line? Along your toe line? Clubface square to target? Why should we believe that our heel line dictates where the ball goes? I can stand 'open' and hit the ball many different directions. Same with a 'closed' stance. As far as the clubface goes, it's not at the same orientation at address as it is at impact. How about looking at the target or an intermediate target? We're looking at the ball when we swing. Why would it matter if we looked at it before we swung. So, seriously, what does alignment really mean?

> >

> I totally agree with this brilliantly insightful comment. Increasingly for me, alignment comprises the sum of body positions that allow me to swing freely toward the target. The first part of that is a grip that freely sets and releases. The second part is an orientation of my upper body that allows me to freely rotate my shoulders along the target line. The third part is a foot position that allows me to drive thru the ball to a full finish. That may sound mechanical, but I assure you it's all visualization and feel. And none of it has anything to do with alignment rods and pointing things in the right direction. I've got a pre-shot routine that walks me thru the process as efficiently as possible. Also, I play single length clubs, so once I've solved the riddle for one club, I've got it for all clubs. When I get it locked in for the day, the feeling is delicious.

> @RichieHunt said:

> Proper alignment, IMO, is a bit of a fallacy and is something most golfers worry way too much about. I think for the most part you don’t want to be significantly mis-aligned, but if you’re a little closed or a little open it’s not likely to affect you that much.

>

> I would say that it’s probably more important to guard against being too closed or open based on your swing. Somebody that doesn’t get the hands very deep at the top of the swing should probably work against being too closed. Conversely, deep hands at the top a person should probably guard against being too open.

>

> For myself, I don’t have terribly deep hands at the top of the swing and it’s hard for me to play for a draw because it either doesn’t draws or draws too much. And sometimes when my stance is too closed, it’s hook-city. So I know if I have a shot that I can’t miss left, I’ll make sure my stance is not closed because that’s the best way to prevent it. But, I hardly ever aim perfectly and it rarely has a major impact on my shot.

>

>

>

> RH

>

I agree with both of these comments, that technically _exact _alignment is not something that is worth pursuing. You need a pre-shot routine that gets you close, and then visualization and "feel" can take over from there. From behind the ball, based on my intended shot shape, I pick a spot a few feet in front of the ball that I want to start the ball over. Then, as I take my stance, I am generally conscious of that spot, but mostly just "feel" the stance that will allow me to start the ball over that spot and hit the shot I am visualizing. During the swing, I am only visualizing the shot, and no longer thinking about my alignment, hitting over my spot, etc. Like Richie says, if a slice or hook is death, then I am a little more conscious of making sure I don't line up too open or closed.

Taylormade M5 9* w/Prolaunch Blue 45
Taylormade Stealth 3HL 16.5* w/Proforce V2 65 
Taylormade M2 5HL 21* w/Proforce V2 65
Adams Pro Mini Hybrids: 23*, 26* w/VS Proto 95
Srixon Zx65 Combo Irons (Z565 6, Z765 7-9, Z965 PW) w/TT AMT Black
Vokeys: SM7 52-12F, SM7 58-12D, WedgeWorks 60-10V (at 62-12), all w/Pro Modus3 115 Wedge
Odyssey DXF Doublewide

• 3 weeks later...

One thing that I have not seen yet is the sequence of the setup. So, yes pick a spot just ahead of the ball and visually draw a target line. I actually walk to the ball holding my club on the line, so I am actually pretty fixated on it.

The sequence of the set up really makes a difference, i.e. front or back foot first, club down and then adjust posture or set posture and lean the club down. Really everything you do and how you do it actually matters. Some quirks in your set up routine might be pulling you off the target line. So, video your set up routine and watch it closely to see if your square on the target line. Once you found a setup routine that works, do it exactly the same every time. In other words, practice it until your body does it automatically and perfectly every time.

I recently started setting up very open, which has shortened and flattened my backswing and virtually taken away my big misses to the left as I come at the ball much more consistently from the inside. But my alignment needs work. The train tracks theory no longer works for me. I align my shoulder square to target or so it seems, but I still find myself missing to the right sometimes, even with a straight shot or slight draw.

PING G400 MAX 10*, Ventus Blue 6X

Cleveland HiBore XL 2 Wood - THE GOAT

Cobra F6 Baffler 17,5*, AD DI 8S

Cobra F7 Hybrid 21.5*, AD DI 95S

Srixon ZX5mk2 5, ZX7mk2 6-PW Modus 120x

50/54/60 Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore DG Spinner

I use an open stance..... so I never use my body to assist w alignment. Thats crazy you say BUT it also means my body can never be out of alignment.

I rely on club face and I do the same with putting. Feet can be wide open or closed doesn't effect my alignment abilities. I do try to pinpoint my aim meaning from distance I'll set up to the left side of cup then right side of cup to get me dialed in then decide where I really want to start the ball mattering on how much I'm gonna work the ball and what direction.

It's another reason I would like all manufacturers to paint the bottom groove so its easier to set up perpendicular... Ping gets it

Can't figure how to like my own posts