New Coore/Crenshaw design opening soon

Night train

• 8 months later...

My wife and I finally got a chance to play Ozarks National a week ago last Thursday. While I still contend that there aren't very many golf courses around that are worth $200 we had a great time and really liked it. Got a little bit better deal in that we paid $204 plus tax to play Montain Top and Ozarks National back to back. Still not cheap by any means but a little more palatable as we've played Mountain Top several times before and really enjoy it. In fact, we both like it better than Top of the Rock plus it's about half the price and you get four more holes. Walking only of course but it's a pretty easy walk at least after you negotiate the hill on the second hole.

__

Anyways, Ozarks National was nothing like I had expected although I'm not really sure what exactly that even was. Super wide fairways and very forgiving off the tee but if you do manage to reach the "rough" you're pretty well done for. Actually there virtually isn't any conventional rough - at least compared to most courses. The zoysia fairways extend all the way to where the "native" areas begin. In fact, if you've ever played Mountain Top it's kind of like a grown up, full length, eighteen hole version. The zoysia is like wall to wall carpet and extends literally from the tee to the green surrounds. In fact, the next tee complex on many holes is merely an extension of the green surround on the previous hole and some tee areas are probably approaching a half an acre in size. Every aspect of the course was meticulously manicured and absolutely perfect. The greens weren't super fast but were in superb condition nonetheless. They rolled beautifully and ranged from relatively small and flat to huge with significant counters. In fact on the par three 12th (which measured a mere 254 yards) I had a 45 YARD putt. That's right - yards not feet.

The par four thirteenth is a little 480 yard par four that requires a 280 yard carry to clear the creek in front of the fairway. Fortunately, the tee was moved up to about 440 yards when we were there so it was a bit less daunting but a heck of a hole nonetheless.

Coore-Crenshaw really mixed it up with this course as there are a couple of par fours that are in the 350 range as well as a pair of pretty short par fives to go along with a 597 yarder and a 531 that plays considerably longer with tons of trouble down the left side. There are also quite a few blind shots both off the tee and on the approaches and I highly recommend purchasing a yardage book or you'll be completely in the dark on several holes. The carts do not have GPS and although I have a Skycaddie SX500 the course has not been mapped yet and no one seemed to know if there were any plans to do so. Even with the yardage book there were several holes that we had to drive up ahead to take a look or we would have had no idea where we were going. By the way the yardage books are six bucks which seems a little silly for a golf course with a two hundred dollar price tag but that's Johnny.

Some of the views from Ozarks National are downright amazing. It's kind of hard to believe that you're that much higher than Buffalo Ridge but the elevation change is significant. From Mountain Top you can get a great look at Tiger's new Payne's Valley that's supposed to open next year and it looks like it's going to be pretty danged nice too.

Logistically, the current setup to get to the golf course is a little awkward to say the least. Although Ozarks National has it's own clubhouse, there's no parking available and no place to store golf carts. Consequently, you have to park at Mountain Top where the on site attendants (great guys by the way) will check you in and get you loaded up. Then you have travel down the street that takes you to Mountain Top and back across a bridge to a rock driveway where you can play chicken with a whole bunch of dump trucks and other other assorted heavy equipment that share the same access route. If they ever do indeed plan to provide parking at the National clubhouse it's going to require construction of another road to get there and there's currently no apparent place for a parking lot even if they do. However, knowing how Johnny Morris operates, if he decides that what he wants then that's exactly what he'll get and no expense will be spared in the process. In the meantime carts are stored in a pretty cheesy circus tent on the north side of Mountain Tops parking lot.

All in all I would highly recommend playing the National at least once as it's a pretty unique experience or at least we thought so. Absolutely nothing like Buffalo Ridge which is more like Disneyland golf with all the waterfalls and streams but a really fun track in its own right. The National is much more "minimalist" and just kind of out there in nature and has a certain links type feel to it as well. Similar to Ridge the National is getting very little play to this point so you'll have the place pretty much to yourself which is nice. The "comfort" stations are really cool old stone houses that have been tricked up as only Johnny knows how to do and hot dogs, pretzels, candy, water and soft drinks are available free of charge between 9 and 10 and again after 13. As always the staff is extremely customer service oriented and although a few of them are pretty new and kind of finding their way they'll go to great lengths to ensure that you have a great time and everything that you need.

If anyone has any specific questions feel free to ask and I'll do my best to provide an honest answer. As for us, as long as we can obtain the combo price deal I would imagine we'll go back once or twice a year for the foreseeable future.

Johnny wins again I guess......

• Like 2

Ping G430 Max with Ping Distanza or MP5 Ladies flex or Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue 45 in Senior

Ping G430 Five Wood Ping Distanza

Ping G430 Seven Wood Ping Distanza

Ping G430 Nine Wood Ping Distanza

Ping i230 5-PW Red Dot + 1"  Recoil Dart 105

Ping i230 Utility Wedge +1" Recoil Dart 105

Ping Glide 4.0 56 Degree ES Red Dot ZZ 115

Scotty Cameron Squareback 2.5 341/2"

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 35"

> @vernon said:

> My wife and I finally got a chance to play Ozarks National a week ago last Thursday. While I still contend that there aren't very many golf courses around that are worth $200 we had a great time and really liked it. Got a little bit better deal in that we paid $204 plus tax to play Montain Top and Ozarks National back to back. Still not cheap by any means but a little more palatable as we've played Mountain Top several times before and really enjoy it. In fact, we both like it better than Top of the Rock plus it's about half the price and you get four more holes. Walking only of course but it's a pretty easy walk at least after you negotiate the hill on the second hole.

> __

> Anyways, Ozarks National was nothing like I had expected although I'm not really sure what exactly that even was. Super wide fairways and very forgiving off the tee but if you do manage to reach the "rough" you're pretty well done for. Actually there virtually isn't any conventional rough - at least compared to most courses. The zoysia fairways extend all the way to where the "native" areas begin. In fact, if you've ever played Mountain Top it's kind of like a grown up, full length, eighteen hole version. The zoysia is like wall to wall carpet and extends literally from the tee to the green surrounds. In fact, the next tee complex on many holes is merely an extension of the green surround on the previous hole and some tee areas are probably approaching a half an acre in size. Every aspect of the course was meticulously manicured and absolutely perfect. The greens weren't super fast but were in superb condition nonetheless. They rolled beautifully and ranged from relatively small and flat to huge with significant counters. In fact on the par three 12th (which measured a mere 254 yards) I had a 45 YARD putt. That's right - yards not feet.

>

> The par four thirteenth is a little 480 yard par four that requires a 280 yard carry to clear the creek in front of the fairway. Fortunately, the tee was moved up to about 440 yards when we were there so it was a bit less daunting but a heck of a hole nonetheless.

>

> Coore-Crenshaw really mixed it up with this course as there are a couple of par fours that are in the 350 range as well as a pair of pretty short par fives to go along with a 597 yarder and a 531 that plays considerably longer with tons of trouble down the left side. There are also quite a few blind shots both off the tee and on the approaches and I highly recommend purchasing a yardage book or you'll be completely in the dark on several holes. The carts do not have GPS and although I have a Skycaddie SX500 the course has not been mapped yet and no one seemed to know if there were any plans to do so. Even with the yardage book there were several holes that we had to drive up ahead to take a look or we would have had no idea where we were going. By the way the yardage books are six bucks which seems a little silly for a golf course with a two hundred dollar price tag but that's Johnny.

>

> Some of the views from Ozarks National are downright amazing. It's kind of hard to believe that you're that much higher than Buffalo Ridge but the elevation change is significant. From Mountain Top you can get a great look at Tiger's new Payne's Valley that's supposed to open next year and it looks like it's going to be pretty danged nice too.

>

> Logistically, the current setup to get to the golf course is a little awkward to say the least. Although Ozarks National has it's own clubhouse, there's no parking available and no place to store golf carts. Consequently, you have to park at Mountain Top where the on site attendants (great guys by the way) will check you in and get you loaded up. Then you have travel down the street that takes you to Mountain Top and back across a bridge to a rock driveway where you can play chicken with a whole bunch of dump trucks and other other assorted heavy equipment that share the same access route. If they ever do indeed plan to provide parking at the National clubhouse it's going to require construction of another road to get there and there's currently no apparent place for a parking lot even if they do. However, knowing how Johnny Morris operates, if he decides that what he wants then that's exactly what he'll get and no expense will be spared in the process. In the meantime carts are stored in a pretty cheesy circus tent on the north side of Mountain Tops parking lot.

>

> All in all I would highly recommend playing the National at least once as it's a pretty unique experience or at least we thought so. Absolutely nothing like Buffalo Ridge which is more like Disneyland golf with all the waterfalls and streams but a really fun track in its own right. The National is much more "minimalist" and just kind of out there in nature and has a certain links type feel to it as well. Similar to Ridge the National is getting very little play to this point so you'll have the place pretty much to yourself which is nice. The "comfort" stations are really cool old stone houses that have been tricked up as only Johnny knows how to do and hot dogs, pretzels, candy, water and soft drinks are available free of charge between 9 and 10 and again after 13. As always the staff is extremely customer service oriented and although a few of them are pretty new and kind of finding their way they'll go to great lengths to ensure that you have a great time and everything that you need.

>

> If anyone has any specific questions feel free to ask and I'll do my best to provide an honest answer. As for us, as long as we can obtain the combo price deal I would imagine we'll go back once or twice a year for the foreseeable future.

>

> Johnny wins again I guess......

Thanks for the note, I'm going to play it Monday morning. How long is the ride from the parking lot to the clubhouse and do they have a range?

Not that far - maybe a thousand yards. And, yes, they have a very nice range with a really good short game area. Range balls are included which is nice since as I mentioned you have to pay for a dang yardage book!

The practice putting green is fine too but if you want to roll some "quality" putts before playing I'd recommend the Tom Watson designed putting green by the Mountain Top clubhouse. Really a lot of fun and by far the coolest putting green I've ever seen. A guy could spend hours on that thing. It's kind of a redo of the one he had designed at Top of the Rock that fell victim to the notorious sinkhole. As I remember it's not as big as the original but really well done. They'll let you take the cart up there (not far at all) and you can park right next to it. Mountain Top also has a pretty nice pro shop and dining area with bar. I would recommend taking a look around the entire clubhouse up there including the downstairs. The locker room area is worth seeing and there's a nice bar area down there as well. The walk around the outside of the clubhouse, both upstairs and down provides some great views of Buffalo Ridge and Tiger's new course.

I think you'll really like the place as it's first class all the way.

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max with Ping Distanza or MP5 Ladies flex or Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue 45 in Senior

Ping G430 Five Wood Ping Distanza

Ping G430 Seven Wood Ping Distanza

Ping G430 Nine Wood Ping Distanza

Ping i230 5-PW Red Dot + 1"  Recoil Dart 105

Ping i230 Utility Wedge +1" Recoil Dart 105

Ping Glide 4.0 56 Degree ES Red Dot ZZ 115

Scotty Cameron Squareback 2.5 341/2"

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 35"

• 2 weeks later...

I played Ozarks and Buffalo Ridge last week. Ozarks is a gem and must play if you don't mind dropping the cash. Buffalo Ridge was magnificent as well and is a lot tighter. Both are good golf courses, which demand elements from a golfer's complete game. I stopped by Top of the Rock, took a peak and thought it was way overpriced as well and passed on playing it. If I have time later, I'll add some pics.

We are going to Branson for a golf trip at the end of August. As of now Buffalo Ridge and Mountain Top are getting played. I've played Buffalo Ridge before and it's a gorgeous track, but don't think I can justify paying $200 for the National. I was able to walk Mountain Top for the Champions Tour event last year when the course opened. If anyone is going to play it this year, use KCGOLF19 to play for $45.

• 1 month later...

utrrcys06vml.jpg

4c7onh6nzr5e.jpg

pm0i7agynb1x.jpg

a9fv8kg7dwjq.jpg

hd33z2rm2b0x.jpg

e9f9m5q1axjv.jpg

49wrty98z6kx.jpg

umoc5v1o00a5.jpg

1osa2lrfvb01.jpg

I played there this weekend and I agree it's unique to what you'll see in the rest of the state. One noticeable difference was the use of zoysia on the entire course, not just fairways. The only rough is overgrown zoysia, the rest is fairway. It's a very playable course for that reason and the coverage on really bad ground to grow grass on is unmatched anywhere. I've never seen a course around here where the areas around the path looked like carpets. This is not an easy area to maintain a golf course, but they make this place look like it's ready for a tour event (despite it's completely impossible to walk).

The halfway house shown in my pics has free hot dogs, candy and ice cream sandwiches. I get it's not free, but it lessens the blow of the $195 rate.

If this is not in the top 5 of MO courses in the next few years I'd be shocked.

In search of solid contact...

Thank you guys for the info. A long time lurker, first time participating. I am going down in early October to play Bufflo Ridge, Ozarks National twice, and Mountain Top twice. I am hoping to provide some good pics and info for anyone else considering making the trip. We played Buffalo Ridge last year and it was top notch.