Where to move after college?

If you love golf and Am tournaments than just move to Glasgow :)

Driver: Ping G410 LST (Diamana ZF)
5w:  Titleist TS2 (Ventus Blue)
3H: Titleist 818 H2 (Ventus Blue HB)
or 3i: Cobra King Utility 21* (Tour AD DI)
4-P: PXG 0311T (KBS $-Taper)
Wedges: 51* Edel TRP, 55* Edel DVR, 60* Cally MD5
Putter: PXG Mini Gunboat H

> @Pwood28 said:

> Check out DFW, Tampa, Jacksonville, Charleston or maybe Nashville (not sure what winter temps are there). I live in Southern Cal (Orange County) and I'm not sure you can get a better spot from a weather standpoint, but the courses aren't thrilling (definitely not cheap) and the cost of living is getting brutal. I'd recommend staying away from PHX unless you love summer heat. Apart from warm winters and some good restaurants, Phoenix is not a good spot to live and the gold is overstated IMO.

>

> I'm putting a plan in place to out to the DFW area in the next 12 months. Cost of living is good, a lot of good golf and while the weather is not SoCal, it's manageable year round. Not sure what the job market is like in Charleston right now, but if I were coming out of college again, that would be a spot of interest for me.

Phoenix not a good place to live.....have you ever lived here?

> @NDSwim said:

> > @Pwood28 said:

> > Check out DFW, Tampa, Jacksonville, Charleston or maybe Nashville (not sure what winter temps are there). I live in Southern Cal (Orange County) and I'm not sure you can get a better spot from a weather standpoint, but the courses aren't thrilling (definitely not cheap) and the cost of living is getting brutal. I'd recommend staying away from PHX unless you love summer heat. Apart from warm winters and some good restaurants, Phoenix is not a good spot to live and the gold is overstated IMO.

> >

> > I'm putting a plan in place to out to the DFW area in the next 12 months. Cost of living is good, a lot of good golf and while the weather is not SoCal, it's manageable year round. Not sure what the job market is like in Charleston right now, but if I were coming out of college again, that would be a spot of interest for me.

>

> Phoenix not a good place to live.....have you ever lived here?

Fortunately no...but have spent a lot of time there through college and work. Still own a couple of properties there. I’m not trying to disparage anyone that lives there, to each their own and I know plenty of people still living there. Just offering the contrarian take and my honest opinion.

> @Philomathesq said:

> > @Pwood28 said:

> > Check out DFW, Tampa, Jacksonville, Charleston or maybe Nashville (not sure what winter temps are there). I live in Southern Cal (Orange County) and I'm not sure you can get a better spot from a weather standpoint, but the courses aren't thrilling (definitely not cheap) and the cost of living is getting brutal. I'd recommend staying away from PHX unless you love summer heat. Apart from warm winters and some good restaurants, Phoenix is not a good spot to live and the gold is overstated IMO.

> >

> > I'm putting a plan in place to out to the DFW area in the next 12 months. Cost of living is good, a lot of good golf and while the weather is not SoCal, it's manageable year round. Not sure what the job market is like in Charleston right now, but if I were coming out of college again, that would be a spot of interest for me.

>

> One word of caution... If you've never spent more than a week in DFW, I suggest you do so before you move out there. The DFW are is very different from the rest of Texas from a mindset perspective. People there think they are the most important people in the world and that the world revolves around them. It becomes very trying very quickly.

> @farmer said:

> You have to separate the FW from the D. Ft. Worth, somehow, has a completely different vibe than Dallas. Houston would be a hellish place to live, San Antonio and Austin somewhat better, but traffic and congestion is awful.

Agree with both of these points. I’m actually heading towards Ft. Worth. My in-laws live in Dallas and my wife went to school at TCU. There are good pockets all over the metroplex, but DT Dallas in definitely too much of a scene for me.

> @Pwood28 said:

> > @NDSwim said:

> > > @Pwood28 said:

> > > Check out DFW, Tampa, Jacksonville, Charleston or maybe Nashville (not sure what winter temps are there). I live in Southern Cal (Orange County) and I'm not sure you can get a better spot from a weather standpoint, but the courses aren't thrilling (definitely not cheap) and the cost of living is getting brutal. I'd recommend staying away from PHX unless you love summer heat. Apart from warm winters and some good restaurants, Phoenix is not a good spot to live and the gold is overstated IMO.

> > >

> > > I'm putting a plan in place to out to the DFW area in the next 12 months. Cost of living is good, a lot of good golf and while the weather is not SoCal, it's manageable year round. Not sure what the job market is like in Charleston right now, but if I were coming out of college again, that would be a spot of interest for me.

> >

> > Phoenix not a good place to live.....have you ever lived here?

>

> Fortunately no...but have spent a lot of time there through college and work. Still own a couple of properties there. I’m not trying to disparage anyone that lives there, to each their own and I know plenty of people still living there. Just offering the contrarian take and my honest opinion.

Certainly not everyone loves it. Thank goodness for that. That said, I have lived in a couple of cities you listed and despised them. I mean, like I struggle to understand what anyone would like about them level of dislike. So, a perfect representation of how people view things differently. I actually don’t mind people not liking the Valley at all. I get it. And, yet, it is the only place I’ve ever truly loved living.

Like the San Antonio and Denver suggestions as well.

I personally can’t do the Northwest. Prefer dry and hot but would pick it over the majority of suggestions. If you like it a bit more wet and cool, should definitely check it out. Seattle is probably my favorite city that there’s absolutely no chance I’d ever live In.

Yes to each his own, but saying someplace is not a good place to live when never living there and only visiting is just ignorant.

Visit each place you are considering as that will narrow down the final list and then decide from there.

You are young so wherever the job takes you enjoy it , you are going to have the chance to move many times if you want.

> @LoganHecky said:

> > @2bGood said:

> > Good for you for asking the question! Not many do and just end up living where they grew up or went to school.

> >

> > I am a fan on the pacific north west myself. Lots of a great golf and year round play as the winters are mild. I will take the more temperate climate along with the rain over the scorching hot summers of the places being mentioned so far.

>

> I’ve been interested in the northwest as a possibility. What are the typical “cold” temperatures in winter and how many days get just completely rained out?

It depends on where you are specifically. Cold days are high 40’s with a few days low 40’s. But you get days I. The 60’s in winter too. Where I am we close the course between 5 and 20 days a year. Typically rain is not the issue as most of the courses drain well. It more we have a freak cold day/night where it gets down to freezing and you get snow instead of rain.

Portland for instance on average only gets 2 days a year where it stay below freezing. So it is not typically a big issue. But I recall years where we had enough snow fall during the cold snap that it took a couple weeks for the course to clear.

Typically though March - October is very solid golf weather and I actually love playing in the winter as the courses are quieter and it great to get outside.

Flagstaff might not be a bad option, weather is pretty mild, a few snow days but doesn't really stick and if that happens on a weekend drive down to phoenix. not super well versed on the golf scene but theres enough courses around there and down in Sedona. just depends on job but seems like theres enough going on there that it owuldnt be too big of an issue

I also commend you for doing some leg work on this early!

Although the golf is not year round - I think you should at least give the Raleigh area a look. It offers a great cost of living, weather is hot in the summer for sure but it is manageable. The city itself is blah but the golf scene here really is awesome - you’ve got the college courses, some great public tracks and the pinehurst area is a short drive away.

• Like 1

> @mshank said:

> I also commend you for doing some leg work on this early!

>

> Although the golf is not year round - I think you should at least give the Raleigh area a look. It offers a great cost of living, weather is hot in the summer for sure but it is manageable. The city itself is blah but the golf scene here really is awesome - you’ve got the college courses, some great public tracks and the pinehurst area is a short drive away.

How is golf not year round in Raleigh? I live in Winston and play all winter long.

Nashville has lots of smaller colleges and universities too. Vandy is a tough swing if you are not well heeled or prodigiously smart, perhaps both.

Knock on Nashville is the publics are not extraordinary. There are fine options though. Nice private options abound.

Broadway and second avenue are a hoot. Nashville is a very young, hip scene. I'm 34 and I am too old for it.

Chattanooga has a nice, laid back city center that is nowhere near as "bustling" as Nashville or Atlanta but plenty to do. I can't speak to all the golf there as I haven't frequented it. Sweetens Cove and Sewannee (sp?) are just up the road from 'Nooga and are fun tracks.

I am also from Michigan and looking to move out. I have really thought about Texas and Kentucky. I have decided on NC. Love the area and there are a lot of nice golf courses in the area. It would probably be hit or miss on whether you can play year round there, but I will take it.

Driver - Titleist Tsi2 10º w/ KBS TD 60 Cat 4

4W - Titleist 917F2 16.5º w/ Tour AD DI 7S

3h - Titleist Tsi2 18º w/ KBS Tour Ptototype 85 S+ 

Irons - Titleist T100s 4-P w/ Modus 120 X shafts

Wedges - Titleist SM8 50, 55, and 60

Putter - Cleveland Classic TA2 milled Long neck 

Ball - Prov1x

> @chrisokeefe12 said:

> I am also from Michigan and looking to move out. I have really thought about Texas and Kentucky. I have decided on NC. Love the area and there are a lot of nice golf courses in the area. It would probably be hit or miss on whether you can play year round there, but I will take it.

I moved from Michigan to Texas several years ago and have regretted it ever since. So, my advise is to stay the course and ignore Texas. I'm actually looking for jobs in NC (Charlotte area, mostly), so I applaud your choice. Good luck!

Driver: TaylorMade SIM 8* (standard setting) with MCA Tensei AV Raw Orange 75TX at 44.5"
3W: TaylorMade M5 15* (standard setting) with Oban Devotion 8 O5 at 42"
Hybrid: PXG Gen 2 0317X 19* (standard setting) with Oban Kiyoshi Purple Hybrid O5 at 39.5"
4i-9i: Callaway '18 Apex MB's with KBS C-Taper 130X at 1/4" long
46: Callaway JAWS MD5 10S
50: Callaway JAWS MD5 10S
54: Callaway JAWS MD5 8C
58: Callaway JAWS MD5 8W
Putter: Kari Lajosi Custom DD201WB

> @AppAlum said:

> > @mshank said:

> > I also commend you for doing some leg work on this early!

> >

> > Although the golf is not year round - I think you should at least give the Raleigh area a look. It offers a great cost of living, weather is hot in the summer for sure but it is manageable. The city itself is blah but the golf scene here really is awesome - you’ve got the college courses, some great public tracks and the pinehurst area is a short drive away.

>

> How is golf not year round in Raleigh? I live in Winston and play all winter long.

I was referring more to January/February being hit and miss - it’s not as ‘year round’ as Florida but it’s night and day different from northern PA where I grew up :smiley:

Southern California. Should be able to make the cost of living work with your MechE degree. I live in San Diego. I'd recommend it for anyone if they can swing it. Plenty of local events and if you join a club you'll get access to more. I play with the men's club at Torrey every so often. Pretty fun. SCGA is also well run if you want to qualify for their events or anything the USGA is putting on.

I went to school in Los Angeles and wouldn't recommend it for public golf. The city is too crowded for the amount of public golf options. If you're wealthy and can join a club with a 5 figure initiation, then it makes it more bearable. When you get out of Los Angeles proper, you get more options.

> @chrisokeefe12 said:

> I am also from Michigan and looking to move out. I have really thought about Texas and **Kentucky**. I have decided on NC. Love the area and there are a lot of nice golf courses in the area. It would probably be hit or miss on whether you can play year round there, but I will take it.

I live in southern KY. It is basically year round golf but the public options are not super. There are however days in January and February when you don't want to be out. Another thing that you guys from the north might not be taking into consideration is that you will be playing on dormant warm season fairways. When they are dry they are very good surfaces to play on but when they get wet in the winter they are not much fun. Overseeding around here is unheard of. Dormant turf in late October is completely different than dormant turf in March.

In northern KY you run into more cool season courses but you also have colder winters and more days with snow cover.

> @az2au said:

> > @Philomathesq said:

> > > @az2au said:

> > > > @Philomathesq said:

> > > > At your age, I'd imagine that joining Anthem CC (north part of Phoenix) isn't too expensive, and their courses are pretty nice.

> > >

> > > While it is nice it really depends on where he lives. There are some really good deals to be had at better courses but you need to live in the right spot.

> > >

> > >

> >

> > Agreed. But, OP asked for some suggestions of actual places to play, and that was the first one that came to mind because of the value proposition. Having said that, I would not want to live near Anthem if I were having to commute to downtown.

>

> Yeah, understood. The area is so big though that he really needs to understand where he wants to live (like Arcadia, Old Town-ish, Tempe or Kierland area at his age) to understand viability. I have completely different recommendations based on those areas. Well, maybe not Tempe. Not sure what I’d recommend there.

I’ll say that if you’re into music, underground culture, nightlife that doesn’t revolve around bro culture or clubbing, and have no interest in flossing in sports cars then Tempe might be the place for you!

Native zonian and Scottsdale would be very low on the list of places I’d want to live based on the Scottsdale culture

callaway epic max ls MMT x
Ping G25 15* Black Tie

818 H2 set 21* evenflow 6.5

HOGAN ft worth black x100

cleveland 50* scratch  54 & 60 customs T&A
Cleveland TA milled options

> @fore_life said:

> > @az2au said:

> > > @Philomathesq said:

> > > > @az2au said:

> > > > > @Philomathesq said:

> > > > > At your age, I'd imagine that joining Anthem CC (north part of Phoenix) isn't too expensive, and their courses are pretty nice.

> > > >

> > > > While it is nice it really depends on where he lives. There are some really good deals to be had at better courses but you need to live in the right spot.

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > > Agreed. But, OP asked for some suggestions of actual places to play, and that was the first one that came to mind because of the value proposition. Having said that, I would not want to live near Anthem if I were having to commute to downtown.

> >

> > Yeah, understood. The area is so big though that he really needs to understand where he wants to live (like Arcadia, Old Town-ish, Tempe or Kierland area at his age) to understand viability. I have completely different recommendations based on those areas. Well, maybe not Tempe. Not sure what I’d recommend there.

>

>

> I’ll say that if you’re into music, underground culture, nightlife that doesn’t revolve around bro culture or clubbing, and have no interest in flossing in sports cars then Tempe might be the place for you!

>

> Native zonian and Scottsdale would be very low on the list of places I’d want to live based on the Scottsdale culture

>

Just to be clear, I wasn't ripping on Tempe, I just don't it well enough to make a solid recommendation.

Also, I know you hate Scottsdale but I have no interest in bro culture, clubbing and I'm not sure what flossing in a sports car means and yet I still choose to live here over anywhere else. I'm into hiking, exercise, golf, basketball and family. That's pretty much it. Scottsdale is no different than Arcadia, Chandler, the revitalized Gilbert or downtown except it has prettier mountains than a lot of those places. Everything else is very similar from what I see.

• 2 weeks later...

My brother just graduated as a Mechanical Engineer and got a good job in the Bay Area. Good golf up there but as everything else crazy crowded.

I live down in San Luis Obispo county and have a nine holer walking distance and Morro Bay Golf Course about 10 minutes away. Tons of other courses within an hour drive. And besides a bit of fog in the summer great year round golf weather.