919 Hot Metal vs. Hot Metal Pro

tgoodspe1991

I'm not a great player by any means, but the HM were too chunky and too heavy for me. I think their lowest SW is D2 and the heads just look too huge.

I would go HMP if it was me.

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

> @tgoodspe1991 said:

> Anyone else have experience with these clubs?

I had a set earlier this year. A buddy of mine has the regular Hot Metal. When he compared the two, they were virtually identical in performance. He saw little no gain in performance having more offset with his irons. In fact, visually, it looked like he hit the less offset heads higher.

> @caniac6 said:

> I got the HMs. I have played Pings since 1986, and got used to the offset. I'm a 5 hdcp., so I'm sure the Pros would have been fine, but after looking at Pings for as long as I have, the HMs just fit my eye better.

When I got my first-ever set of Pings after a decade of playing Titleist DCI 990's, for a couple of rounds I simply could not hit them as straight as I thought I should. And they were a little shortish. Then I figured out that, because of the offset, I was somehow setting up with the face a little bit open behind the ball. Closed it down a couple degrees and fell in love.

Now after 6-7 years with Ping irons (and Mizuno Hot Metals!) when I look at a less offset iron, darned if I can figure out how to square the face. I don't know that offset per se does all that much to the ball flight but the visual effect is pernicious.

I was a sucker... got fit for a set of HM Pro's at Club Champion but once delivered I wasn't all that happy. Like most fitters they use a 6 iron... I absolutely stripe the 5 / 6 irons but hated the HMPro's in 8-PW

I ended up finding a WEIRD combo on ebay that fit my exact specs... 1/4 short, 2 degrees down all bent to match 4 degree gaps

4 HM

5-6 919 Forged

7-PW 919 Tour all with Modus 105

First two rounds I shot par, something I had come very close to doing in the past but finally shattered that glass ceiling AND carded 2 ace's in 13 days (I couldn't believe it). Hardcore honeymoon phase but super happy with results.

• Like 2

> @ddboston said:

> I was a sucker... got fit for a set of HM Pro's at Club Champion but once delivered I wasn't all that happy. Like most fitters they use a 6 iron... I absolutely stripe the 5 / 6 irons but hated the HMPro's in 8-PW

>

> I ended up finding a WEIRD combo on ebay that fit my exact specs... 1/4 short, 2 degrees down all bent to match 4 degree gaps

> 4 HM

> 5-6 919 Forged

> 7-PW 919 Tour all with Modus 105

> First two rounds I shot par, something I had come very close to doing in the past but finally shattered that glass ceiling AND carded 2 ace's in 13 days (I couldn't believe it). Hardcore honeymoon phase but super happy with results.

I'm not necessarily agreeing that you were a sucker ;-) but will certainly agree you ended up with a weird mixed set. Kind of like in the old days when every club had a name, you could call yours a 919 Forged Niblick and a 919 Tour Jigger and all that kind of stuff. I'm just sayin'...

• Like 1

> @ddboston said:

> I was a sucker... got fit for a set of HM Pro's at Club Champion but once delivered I wasn't all that happy. Like most fitters they use a 6 iron... I absolutely stripe the 5 / 6 irons but hated the HMPro's in 8-PW

>

> I ended up finding a WEIRD combo on ebay that fit my exact specs... 1/4 short, 2 degrees down all bent to match 4 degree gaps

> 4 HM

> 5-6 919 Forged

> First two rounds I shot par, something I had come very close to doing in the past but finally shattered that glass ceiling AND carded 2 ace's in 13 days (I couldn't believe it). Hardcore honeymoon phase but super happy with results.

Honeymoon phase or not, that's awesome! That combo set doesn't seem all that weird to me at all. No different than a Titleist guy going T-MB 4i, 5-6i in AP2, and 7-PW in CB. In fact CH3 does (I think) that exact combo haha.

Congrats on the aces. Been playing for a long, long time and still haven't had one.

> @ddboston said:

>

> 4 HM

> 5-6 919 Forged

Don’t go all WRX and sell those things - ever. Two f*cking aces in 13 days?!

• Like 2

> @balls_deep said:

> > @ddboston said:

> > I was a sucker... got fit for a set of HM Pro's at Club Champion but once delivered I wasn't all that happy. Like most fitters they use a 6 iron... I absolutely stripe the 5 / 6 irons but hated the HMPro's in 8-PW

> >

> > I ended up finding a WEIRD combo on ebay that fit my exact specs... 1/4 short, 2 degrees down all bent to match 4 degree gaps

> > 4 HM

> > 5-6 919 Forged

> > 7-PW 919 Tour all with Modus 105

> > First two rounds I shot par, something I had come very close to doing in the past but finally shattered that glass ceiling AND carded 2 ace's in 13 days (I couldn't believe it). Hardcore honeymoon phase but super happy with results.

>

> Don’t go all WRX and sell those things - ever. Two f*cking aces in 13 days?!

Seriously! If I made even a single hole-in-one within 2 weeks of a new set of irons I think I'd keep them forever... there's magic in those sticks!

• Like 1

I hit both last week with the same shaft. Feel and distance were about the same. Did not notice any difference in forgiveness. I hit a draw with the HM and straight with the HMP. The only difference in the numbers was the HMP went higher and had more spin. Probably going to combo them 5 and 6 in HM and 7-P in HMP

• Like 1

I love my HMP's. Like several others the regular HM is just too big to my eye. The HMP is a great combo of looks and forgiveness.

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max 9* Kai’li white 60

Callaway Paradym 15*
Titleist TSR2 21* hybrid Atmos blue
Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 5-P

Titleist SM9 48*
Titleist SM7 54* & 58* Slate Blue
Ping Ketch/SC Select Newport II Midslant

According to Maltby the HM's have a higher MOI than the HMP so they would be better for guys that don't hit the center of the face all the time.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

> @jol said:

> > @spring7 said:

> > just ordered 4-5 HM, 7-PW HMP - waiting:)

>

> What, no 6 iron? ?

no, just careless in my post; 6i is a HMP. but you made me check my receipt.

Titleist Tsr2 9*

TaylorMade BRNR Mini 13.5*

PXG 0311 XF Gen 5 16*

PXG 0317X Gen 4 20.5*

Ping i210 5-P (26*-45*)

Ping iE1 50*

Ping Glide 3.0 54*/58*

Ping Fetch

> @tgoodspe1991 said:

> > @balls_deep said:

> > > @ddboston said:

> > > I was a sucker... got fit for a set of HM Pro's at Club Champion but once delivered I wasn't all that happy. Like most fitters they use a 6 iron... I absolutely stripe the 5 / 6 irons but hated the HMPro's in 8-PW

> > >

> > > I ended up finding a WEIRD combo on ebay that fit my exact specs... 1/4 short, 2 degrees down all bent to match 4 degree gaps

> > > 4 HM

> > > 5-6 919 Forged

> > > 7-PW 919 Tour all with Modus 105

> > > First two rounds I shot par, something I had come very close to doing in the past but finally shattered that glass ceiling AND carded 2 ace's in 13 days (I couldn't believe it). Hardcore honeymoon phase but super happy with results.

> >

> > Don’t go all WRX and sell those things - ever. Two f*cking aces in 13 days?!

>

> Seriously! If I made even a single hole-in-one within 2 weeks of a new set of irons I think I'd keep them forever... there's magic in those sticks!

I'm likely going to get the 5/6 HMP reshafted to match the rest of the set and go from there... also, I've always played standard grips and these are midsize and I found I hit the ball straighter where standard grips left me being very careful of the left side of the hole.

I don't even consider my hands to be all that large, I'm only 5'7

There is really no difference to these irons, just what is more pleasing to the eye between the two.

Driver - Titleist Tsi2 10º w/ KBS TD 60 Cat 4

4W - Titleist 917F2 16.5º w/ Tour AD DI 7S

3h - Titleist Tsi2 18º w/ KBS Tour Ptototype 85 S+ 

Irons - Titleist T100s 4-P w/ Modus 120 X shafts

Wedges - Titleist SM8 50, 55, and 60

Putter - Cleveland Classic TA2 milled Long neck 

Ball - Prov1x

• 4 months later...

I'm taking the plunge on the HMP's at the end of the month. Our club pro got me a 4,7,9 fitted the required shaft and grips and let me play with them and practice throughout December on course and at the range.

Only differences between the HM and pros I noticed were 1) the ball gets to peak height quicker (trackman showed identical peak height) and 2) they carry all the way and stop whereas the HMs have considerably more roll out for me.

Currently trying to decide if I should upgrade to the T20 wedges. I tried to order S18s but they didn't have the heads left. Anyone have any experience with the T20s as I have read and watched mixed reviews. For me they were alright at the practice chipping area but wasn't able to take a full set on course.

• Like 1