Wilderness Club, Eureka, MT

mbs_59

Has anyone played this course or stayed at this resort? My fiancé and I are looking at it for our honeymoon. We both played golf in college and wanted to play a few rounds somewhere we could stay at as well. We definitely wanted somewhere we could get away but how is the travel to get there? We would be flying in from the southeast US.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MBS.... played it many times as I grew up in MT, uncle lived on Flathead Lake and funny thing my wife is from Eureka. Got married in Eureka and the house/lodge they rent out was there before the course was built and had our reception there. Sooooo yea know it well =)

Honestly one of my favorite tracks I have played. Never stayed at the club (no need with family living there) but it looked pretty nice. The course has some amazing views as it is right in the valley.

When you thinking of going??

IMHO If going there the for the first time I would stay in Whitefish. Awesome / fun town with some great food/bars, Close to Glacier Park and Flathead lake is one the best in the US. Largest natural lake west the Mississippi at 200 Sq miles.

Wilderness club is roughly 45-50 mins up the road from Whitefish and easy drive plus there is are some other excellent courses around Whitefish.

As to getting there, the easiest way is to fly into Kalispell. I know some people fly into to Spokane and drive over because you can save a lot on flights sometimes plus the drive is pretty, but it is about 3 hours if I recall right. Living in Denver now wife and I fly into Missoula on Frontier as you can catch some serious good prices. It also a 3 hour drive that is very nice.

One to thing to note Montana is a HUGE state so driving is the norm as everything is spread out.

Let me know any questions you have.

Also everyone is extremely nice......its a MT thing :yes:

Edit: you note "get away".... you will get that in Eureka!! Very very small town and not much there. Call it a one stop light town...

MBS.... played it many times as I grew up in MT, uncle lived on Flathead Lake and funny thing my wife is from Eureka. Got married in Eureka and the house/lodge they rent out was there before the course was built and had our reception there. Sooooo yea know it well =)

Honestly one of my favorite tracks I have played. Never stayed at the club (no need with family living there) but it looked pretty nice. The course has some amazing views as it is right in the valley.

IMHO If going there the for the first time I would stay in Whitefish. Awesome / fun town with some great food/bars, Close to Glacier Park and Flathead lake is one the best in the US. Largest natural lake west the Mississippi at 200 Sq miles.

Wilderness club is roughly 45-50 mins up the road from Whitefish and easy drive plus there is are some other excellent courses around Whitefish.

As to getting there, the easiest way is to fly into Kalispell. I know some people fly into to Spokane and drive over because you can save a lot on flights sometimes plus the drive is pretty, but it is about 3 hours if I recall right. Living in Denver now wife and I fly into Missoula on Frontier as you can catch some serious good prices. It also a 3 hour drive that is very nice.

One to thing to note Montana is a HUGE state so driving is the norm as everything is spread out.

Edit: you note "get away".... you will get that in Eureka!! Very very small town and not much there. Call it a one stop light town...

Wow thanks for the great details! We are going the second week of August so I think we will be in prime season for doing other outdoor activities besides golf as well so we will definitely look into staying near the lake. We definitely would love to hang out by lake and explore the Nat. Park. And my fiancé will love to hear that everything is extremely nice (SoCal girl :sleep:).

CDM is right on every point. It is my favorite public in MT. It is away as he pointed out. When we go it is usually based out of whitefish and drive up. Whitefish has the North and South courses which are good and a course which comes up that I haven’t played is Northern Pines.

Kalispell would be the shortest drive, but also probably pretty expensive in relation to Missoula or Spokane.

For me, I would find Wilderness Club and Eureka boring after the realization you “got away.” I also believe it is further from GNP than whitefish or kalispell if it wasn’t all about golf.

Wilderness and Northern Pines are the best courses in NW Montana.

I don't mind Whitefish Lake, but find them to be overpriced for what they are.

I don't know what the green fees are at Wilderness in US dollars currently, I've only played there on a stay and play package. Northern Pines was very affordable.

Titleist 917D2 10.5* GD DI-6s
Titleist 917F 18* GD DI-7s
Adams 22* Hybrid
TM p790 5 - PW
Titleist SM4 50, 54, 58
Scotty Newport 2

Ball: 7 yards ahead of Cruisin's

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

As CDM said, be ready to drive. No one from Montana thinks its a big deal, but those from out of state are always amazed at the distances Montanans travel for things.

I agree with staying in Whitefish over Eureka, its a fun little town and you have access to so much. I can't speak to places to stay as I also have family throughout the state and haven't ever needed a resort/hotel.

If you want to hike Glacier is phenomenal, and if you want to get out on the water Flathead is great.

• 1 year later...

We spent a week in Whitefish over the 4th of July and it was fantastic.

Has anyone rented a cabin at TWC? I'm interested in bringing my group of 24 out there in July of '20. Sadly, they don't seem terribly interested in getting me a formal quote. Reviews on Tripadvisor and other sites are all over the place.

Also, can anyone speak to the conditioning of the golf course of late?

Thanks!

Lots of friends have gone for A night and played it two days then return to whitefish since there really is very little else to do. I am not sure I would define it as a resort, but rather one destination golf course.

I believe the original intent of the course was to be a high end national private course, but there wasn’t enough interest.

> @Petethreeput said:

> Lots of friends have gone for A night and played it two days then return to whitefish since there really is very little else to do. I am not sure I would define it as a resort, but rather one destination golf course.

> I believe the original intent of the course was to be a high end national private course, but there wasn’t enough interest.

> @benkodi said:

> We spent a week in Whitefish over the 4th of July and it was fantastic.

>

> Has anyone rented a cabin at TWC? I'm interested in bringing my group of 24 out there in July of '20. Sadly, they don't seem terribly interested in getting me a formal quote. Reviews on Tripadvisor and other sites are all over the place.

>

> Also, can anyone speak to the conditioning of the golf course of late?

>

> Thanks!

It was to be the Sand Hills model...remote private course but in the montains. It really was built trying to pull the Canadians down from Calagry, which did happen to some extent.

As to stayin there the lodge can hold a decent amount of people and I have heard its not to bad price for one night. Alot of people do go up play the course twice the first day, stay the night, play the next day and back to Whitefish. I played 36 on the Monday after the 4th this year and it was like $85 and $45 for the two rounds. On that track felt like a steal LOL

The other course in Eureka, indian springs is okay... not sure I would play it again.

Thanks guys. Appreciate the feedback. My back and forth with the course/“resort” is at a snails pace as they really aren’t set up to handle group requests.

They can’t guarantee tee times but will take lodging reservations?

We are looking at a couple of their cabins (The Lodge has a ton of twin beds unfortunately) for 20-24 guys for 3-4 nights. We play a 4 round tournament and likely two additional rounds. Will bring in steaks, wine and provisions as I know Eureka is thin on dining options. Plan on playing all golf at Wilderness unless there is another course of equal quality within a reasonable driving distance. Would suggest to my guys to bookend a couple days in Whitefish, rent a boat, day trip to Glacier, etc...

Am I missing anything?

Whitefish is probably the most “active” in regard to nightlife, stuff to do during the day like golf.

If they want to sightsee Glacier is consistently rated as the best scenery in MT, or at least amongst those i know.

I hope you are able pull together a trip and play wilderness. I go on a trip almost every year to play those local courses and I can’t get the guys to include wilderness because of the drive. And I think it’s one of the most enjoyable courses in MT that I know of.