Swing weight factors in relation to parts

joey3108

One thing bugging me though is the impact on length - since the cap of the grip will add 1/4" to 1/2", should I not adjust that 9 sw point factor? Or is that what you've already done by making it nine instead of, say, 11 (which would make sense with a 50g shaft and a rule of thumb of 5/g/sw point + one or so for tape)?

Thanks again.

No, not usually. In fact, that's one of the reasons why it's better to use the scale w/o the grip. Variations in grip cap size will effect what the swing weight scale will read with the grip installed but it usually doesn't effect the actual playing length (or effective swing weight) - which is measured to the edge of the grip cap and not the top of any dome on the grip. Remember, It's the edge that will generally determine where we place our hands on the grip and the effective playing length/effective swing weight, not any part that sticks up above it. The GP NDMC is a perfect example where the grip can make the scale think the club is longer than it really is and therefore the SW heavier than it really is.

One thing bugging me though is the impact on length - since the cap of the grip will add 1/4" to 1/2", should I not adjust that 9 sw point factor? Or is that what you've already done by making it nine instead of, say, 11 (which would make sense with a 50g shaft and a rule of thumb of 5/g/sw point + one or so for tape)?

Thanks again.

No, not usually. In fact, that's one of the reasons why it's better to use the scale w/o the grip. Variations in grip cap size will effect what the swing weight scale will read with the grip installed but it usually doesn't effect the actual playing length (or effective swing weight) - which is measured to the edge of the grip cap and not the top of any dome on the grip. Remember, It's the edge that will generally determine where we place our hands on the grip and the effective playing length/effective swing weight, not any part that sticks up above it. The GP NDMC is a perfect example where the grip can make the scale think the club is longer than it really is and therefore the SW heavier than it really is.

Ah - that makes sense. Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

Can someone explain the difference between the Titleist Surefit performance guide and the information in this thread? According to this thread, if you cut your driver down 1” and want to retain the same swing weight, you would need to add 12 grams. The Titleist Surefit page says for 1” under the recommend weight is 4 grams heavier to produce the standard swing weight. What am I missing here?

• 2 weeks later...

Made a thread but probbaly should have put this in this one instead...

M3 Hl 3w head

Tensei Pro orange 80tx shaft

Length of the shaft plays at 42” in the head

Was told the Sw is D0

Want it back to D3 -D4

I am looking at picking up another sole weight at 7g to add.

By looking at the calculations this should bring me back to D3.5.

Or will it be slightly lower due to the counter balance?

If so, how much weight do I need to get the club back to my desired SW?

Callaway triple Diamond paradym 9*- hulk 60tx 

Callaway paradym triple diamond - hulk 70tx 

Titleist TSi3 20* hybrid Matrix Black Tie 90x 
Srixon zx7mkii 456 / ZForgedii 789P- MMT 125tx 
Cleveland RTX6 50/54/ S400 TI Onyx 
Vokey Wedgeworks 60* V-grind 
Tri-hot double wide 

Made a thread but probbaly should have put this in this one instead...

M3 Hl 3w head

Tensei Pro orange 80tx shaft

Length of the shaft plays at 42" in the head

Was told the Sw is D0

Want it back to D3 -D4

I am looking at picking up another sole weight at 7g to add.

By looking at the calculations this should bring me back to D3.5.

Or will it be slightly lower due to the counter balance?

If so, how much weight do I need to get the club back to my desired SW?

No. The new thread was a better idea.

But if your "desired" SW wasn't determined with the exact same shaft model, shaft weight and playing length - then you shouldn't be overly focused on that particular SW value. You need to do a little testing to find out what the best SW is for this particular combination.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Hello, I am going to set my clubs up next week and I would love any input on my questions! It will be greatly appreciated. Here are my questions.

1.I like a midsized grip with 5 wraps on the bottom--how much swing weight will that add?

2.Is there any noticeable difference between putting lead hosel weights and adding lead tape to the head?

3.If I have, for example, my 8 iron with the 7 iron shaft, how much more upright will that be and how much will the swing weight be affected?

Thanks, hoping to get some feedback. I'll keep reading the rest of this thread, but thought I'd just ask here real quick.

> @Kanzas_Anthony said:

> 1.I like a midsized grip with 5 wraps on the bottom--how much swing weight will that add?

It wont. It might change what a swing weight scale will read but true swing weight is always based on the club having a 50 gm grip - regardless of the actual grip weight

> 2.Is there any noticeable difference between putting lead hosel weights and adding lead tape to the head?

Not for the vast majority of people - as long as the weight is a reasonable amount (10gm or less). More and there may be a little bit higher percentage of players that might notice the difference. Typically only those with a very highly refined sense of feel from the club.

> 3.If I have, for example, my 8 iron with the 7 iron shaft, how much more upright will that be and how much will the swing weight be affected?

depends on what you do with the length when you put in the 7 iron shaft. If you keep it at 7 iron length, (+1/2" longer than the 8 iron) then it will be 3 pts heavier. If you cut it back down to 8 iron length - there will be no noticeable change.

• 4 weeks later...

For custom orders how do OEMs make adjustments to keep standard swingweight (i usually see D2 steel). But whenever I've seen am OEM installed shaft.removed I've never seen the adjustment techniques fitters use like tape or tungsten powder, etc

TM Stealth Plus 10.5 Ventus TR Velocore Red 5

Ping G425 Max 5 FW 17.5 Ventus Velocore Red 7

Srixon ZX MKII 3UT MMT 95

Callaway X Forged CB 21' 4-PW Modus 120

Yururi Tataki 52.5, 56.5 and 60.5 DG S200
Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips
Kirkland Performance+ Ball

• 1 month later...

I have read couple of hours on the forum trying to figure out how I could shorten my Miuras CB-801 with Shimada Tour Mid shafts. They are +1/2” meaning I5 is 38,5”, I6 38” etc. The club maker used Tour velvet midsize grip with 4 layers on lower hand. My question is how I best decrease the length with 1/4” keeping correct swing weight and in best case could re-use new grips? To be exact I understand the grips for example can differ +-3,5 gram from production but I would be happy enough if I can manage to achieve close to correct swing weight.

Thanks in advance.

> @ptroedsson said:

> I have read couple of hours on the forum trying to figure out how I could shorten my Miuras CB-801 with Shimada Tour Mid shafts. They are +1/2” meaning I5 is 38,5”, I6 38” etc. The club maker used Tour velvet midsize grip with 4 layers on lower hand. My question is how I best decrease the length with 1/4” keeping correct swing weight and in best case could re-use new grips? To be exact I understand the grips for example can differ +-3,5 gram from production but I would be happy enough if I can manage to achieve close to correct swing weight.

>

> Thanks in advance.

!/2" shorter length means adding about 6 gm to the head to get SW back. It really varies by length so best to use a swing weight scale (without the grips installed). Grip weight changes should typically be ignored.

So basically, remove grips, measure swing weight, cut length down, adjust head weight to get the swing weight back, then finally reinstall grips.

Some builders can safely remove the grips for re-use. It can be a PITA though so not all builders will take it on and some grip models are easier than others.

Thanks for clarifying Stuart! The club builder didn’t counter balance the weight more than the extra grams midsize 4 layers grip brings. I assume that means I could just cut the lower (hosel part) of the shaft 1/2” and not compensate for swing weight accepting the shaft gets a bit stiffer (no need to remove grips in that case), or am I missing something?

> @Stuart_G said:

> > @ptroedsson said:

> > I have read couple of hours on the forum trying to figure out how I could shorten my Miuras CB-801 with Shimada Tour Mid shafts. They are +1/2” meaning I5 is 38,5”, I6 38” etc. The club maker used Tour velvet midsize grip with 4 layers on lower hand. My question is how I best decrease the length with 1/4” keeping correct swing weight and in best case could re-use new grips? To be exact I understand the grips for example can differ +-3,5 gram from production but I would be happy enough if I can manage to achieve close to correct swing weight.

> >

> > Thanks in advance.

>

> !/2" shorter length means adding about 6 gm to the head to get SW back. It really varies by length so best to use a swing weight scale (without the grips installed). Grip weight changes should typically be ignored.

>

> So basically, remove grips, measure swing weight, cut length down, adjust head weight to get the swing weight back, then finally reinstall grips.

>

> Some builders can safely remove the grips for re-use. It can be a PITA though so not all builders will take it on and some grip models are easier than others.

> @Stuart_G said:

> > @ptroedsson said:

> > I have read couple of hours on the forum trying to figure out how I could shorten my Miuras CB-801 with Shimada Tour Mid shafts. They are +1/2” meaning I5 is 38,5”, I6 38” etc. The club maker used Tour velvet midsize grip with 4 layers on lower hand. My question is how I best decrease the length with 1/4” keeping correct swing weight and in best case could re-use new grips? To be exact I understand the grips for example can differ +-3,5 gram from production but I would be happy enough if I can manage to achieve close to correct swing weight.

> >

> > Thanks in advance.

>

> !/2" shorter length means adding about 6 gm to the head to get SW back. It really varies by length so best to use a swing weight scale (without the grips installed). Grip weight changes should typically be ignored.

>

> So basically, remove grips, measure swing weight, cut length down, adjust head weight to get the swing weight back, then finally reinstall grips.

>

> Some builders can safely remove the grips for re-use. It can be a PITA though so not all builders will take it on and some grip models are easier than others.

> @ptroedsson said:

> I assume that means I could just cut the lower (hosel part) of the shaft 1/2” and not compensate for swing weight accepting the shaft gets a bit stiffer (no need to remove grips in that case), or am I missing something?

The change in swing weight and the need to compensate with head weight is purely a function of the final length change - it doesn't have anything to do with which end of the shaft you remove the 1/2" from.

Getting a good fit for swing weight can be fairly important for most golfers - so skipping the compensation is not usually a good idea - but that assumes that the player was fit to the original swing weight (which is frequently not the case). So it's hard to say what might be the side-effects of not compensating the head weight.

Which end of the shaft you take the 1/2" off of can effect how the stiffness feel of the shaft might change. Remove it from the butt end (and adjust the head weight to compensate) means the shaft might feel a touch softer - although usually not enough to be noticeable for most. Remove the 1/2" from the tip side (e.g. pull the heads, cut 1/2" of the tip and reinstall the head) and also adjust the head weights and they'll probably play a touch firmer than they did at the longer length - again a very small amount - may not even be noticeable.

**BUT** - only single length parallel tip iron shafts can be tip trimmed at all. Tapered tip shafts and discrete length parallel tip shafts are BUTT CUT ONLY. Although you could 'hard step' them to get similar results - the same length change plus the slight stiffening (e.g. move the 8 iron shaft into the 7 iron, etc...).

> @ptroedsson said:

> Thank you Stuart! Hard stepping sounds like the best idea in order to spare the new grips and avoid cutting as much as possible. That means I will only have to shorten one shaft (4 iron and use as PW) right?

No, it means you'll have to buy one new shaft for the PW. If you try to use the 4 iron shaft in the PW it will be the equivalent of soft stepping that shaft 6 times - which will basically turn it into a wet noodle (very roughly equivalent to making it two flexes softer).

> @"J. Breeze" said:

> Currently gaming an 16' M2 with a rogue black 60S and want to cut it down to play at 43.5"

> plan to buy aftermarket weights to get it back to near stock D3 SW but not sure how many grams, any help is appreciated.

> TIA

When cutting down a driver that much, you don't want to try and get back to the exact same swing weight it was at the longer length. That's NOT what these rules were meant to help with. Get some lead tape and build it up slowly on the range to find the right amount for the best feel and results. Then when you do have the weight dialed in, you can weigh how much lead tape was used and buy the right sized replacement weight.

> @Stuart_G said:

> > @"J. Breeze" said:

> > Currently gaming an 16' M2 with a rogue black 60S and want to cut it down to play at 43.5"

> > plan to buy aftermarket weights to get it back to near stock D3 SW but not sure how many grams, any help is appreciated.

> > TIA

>

> When cutting down a driver that much, you don't want to try and get back to the exact same swing weight it was at the longer length. That's NOT what these rules were meant to help with. Get some lead tape and build it up slowly on the range to find the right amount for the best feel and results. Then when you do have the weight dialed in, you can weigh how much lead tape was used and buy the right sized replacement weight.

Thank you Stuart, will give that a shot.

• 2 weeks later...

Having issues with Callaway Epic Fairway wood head. To my knowledge there are no weights for the fairway metals. My 3 wood is 42.75, D1 swing weight. It is going too high and is easily pulled left. I cannot access the inside of head to fill it with anything. Are there any options besides lead tape? I used lead tape on my last 3 wood and it would come off due to turf interaction.

Taylormade M2
Callaway Epic 15 degree
Titleist 910H
Titleist 716CB with Dynamic Gold S400 4-PW
Titleist Vokey 56, 60
Titleist Scotty California Monterey 35 in
Titleist Pro V1x

> @Cpr3584 said:

> Having issues with Callaway Epic Fairway wood head. To my knowledge there are no weights for the fairway metals. My 3 wood is 42.75, D1 swing weight. It is going too high and is easily pulled left. I cannot access the inside of head to fill it with anything. Are there any options besides lead tape? I used lead tape on my last 3 wood and it would come off due to turf interaction.

I’m having the same issue. Just cut down my m4 3w a half inch and want to get swing weight back to where it was and lead tape seems like it would just come off. I have been unable to find an ideal solution.

Good quality lead tape, when properly applied, wont 'just come off'. The only problem with lead tape is that some people don't like the way it looks.

And if you rule out hot melt and no OEM or aftermarket weight plugs are available, the only other option (when graphite shafts are being used) is to pull the shaft and use tip weights.

> @Stuart_G said:

> Good quality lead tape, when properly applied, wont 'just come off'. The only problem with lead tape is that some people don't like the way it looks.

>

> And if you rule out hot melt and no OEM or aftermarket weight plugs are available, the only other option (when graphite shafts are being used) is to pull the shaft and use tip weights.

>

What about a lighter grip ? The one I have is lamkin mtx 52g. If I use a golf pride mcc 46g will that get it up at least 1 SW point ? D2 or D3 will be much better thanks

Taylormade M2
Callaway Epic 15 degree
Titleist 910H
Titleist Vokey 56, 60
Titleist Pro V1x

> @Cpr3584 said:

> > @Stuart_G said:

> > Good quality lead tape, when properly applied, wont 'just come off'. The only problem with lead tape is that some people don't like the way it looks.

> >

> > And if you rule out hot melt and no OEM or aftermarket weight plugs are available, the only other option (when graphite shafts are being used) is to pull the shaft and use tip weights.

> >

>

> What about a lighter grip ? The one I have is lamkin mtx 52g. If I use a golf pride mcc 46g will that get it up at least 1 SW point ? D2 or D3 will be much better thanks

Despite what the swing weight scale might 'say', a lighter grip will not make the head weigh any more or increase the MOI or heft of the club. And the total static weight of the club will go, which might even make the problem even worse. If it really is a swing weight problem, adding head weight is always going to be the best approach.

> @Stuart_G said:

> > @Cpr3584 said:

> > > @Stuart_G said:

> > > Good quality lead tape, when properly applied, wont 'just come off'. The only problem with lead tape is that some people don't like the way it looks.

> > >

> > > And if you rule out hot melt and no OEM or aftermarket weight plugs are available, the only other option (when graphite shafts are being used) is to pull the shaft and use tip weights.

> > >

> >

> > What about a lighter grip ? The one I have is lamkin mtx 52g. If I use a golf pride mcc 46g will that get it up at least 1 SW point ? D2 or D3 will be much better thanks

>

> Despite what the swing weight scale might 'say', a lighter grip will not make the head weigh any more or increase the MOI or heft of the club. And the total static weight of the club will go, which might even make the problem even worse. If it really is a swing weight problem, adding head weight is always going to be the best approach.

Thanks. Looks like lead tape is the only option. last night i found two slots on the sole where i can put a couple strips without worrying about it coming off

Taylormade M2
Callaway Epic 15 degree
Titleist 910H
Titleist Vokey 56, 60
Titleist Pro V1x

> @Cpr3584 said:

> Thanks. Looks like lead tape is the only option. last night i found two slots on the sole where i can put a couple strips without worrying about it coming off

Make sure the surface is clean and dry and pick a relatively smooth part of the sole away from the leading edge. More importantly, with lead tape it can help quite a bit to really rub and press it into the surface with something hard, like for instance, the butt end of a screwdriver. And put a little extra attention along the edges and corners.

> @Manutd said:

>

> Anyone know how to reduce swing weight? My sm7 60 is 1/2 longer with modus 125 wedge shaft & comes in at d9 ,if I changed to modus 120 stiff in 114g would this bring swing weight down Without reducing wedge by 1/2 inch

Unlikely. There are exceptions but most modern shafts are designed to swing weight similarly despite the differences in static weight. Some KBS shafts tend to be 1-2 sw pts lighter than others and the aerotech steelfiber i110's are about 3-4 SW pts lighter. Other than that, really the only way is to reduce swing weight w/o going shorter in playing length is to find a way to reduce the head weight. Drilling material out of the bottom of the hosel is the most common way but with many wedges, you can drill material out of the back of the sole as well.