I had a major epiphany earlier this week...feel like I finally know how to play golf

LeftDaddy

All of this is going to sound obvious to many of you. And it will probably take too long to explain the nuances in writing. Anyway, here goes:

I’ve been hitting the ball decently lately and even shot a 79 a couple of weeks ago (my personal best that I’ve now done 3 times). But I’ve also shot a 95 and a 99 recently.

I was in the middle of a round earlier this week on my way to another 90 something, despite striping it on the range and feeling good about my swing overall. And I was just so mad. I almost broke a club over my knee, then decided helicoptering it would be better, then stopped myself from doing that too. Anyway, for some odd reason Johnny Miller’s voice popped in my head, and he told me something to the effect of “you dummy, with a range of outcomes like you have, why would you ever aim there with that club? Why not shoot for some really small victories right now?”

Now, here’s where the nuance comes in. I’ve now played 24 holes in 10 over with this new “strategy”. I was 17 over standing on the 13th tee when Johnny’s voice hit me, but finished the last 6 holes in even par for an 89. Poor score for me, but salvaged a little dignity at the end. And I shot 82 today. Good score for me.

So my new strategy is basically to find a massive area upon which I am totally OK with my next shot landing in any part of that area, and picking a club and shot shape that allows me to make a very comfortable swing / shot that should easily allow my ball to finish in this big target area. Because I’m struggling with an occasional massive pull, I’m picking an area about 100 yards wide and 30 yards long and effectively aiming to allow my ball to finish in the middle of that giant swath of “safe” land. Basically I’m picking very easy targets and very comfortable clubs/shots to hit to the easy target such that I’m very confident standing over the ball that I can hit that target. And I’m allowing myself to be totally OK with any outcome inside my giant target.

It seems to have a very interesting side effect, which is that most of my shots finish very close to my ideal spot. And I’m not thinking much about swing thoughts over the ball...just a nice, easy swing to get the ball inside this giant target.

This likely seems obvious to many of you, and maybe it should have been to me. But believe me, I have tried every mental game strategy you can imagine over the years, and I’m a typically conservative player (or so I thought) so I’ve picked fat parts of fairways and greens to aim at, and I try to play 3/4 shots a lot with irons, and I hit a variety of clubs off of the tee depending on the shot, etc etc. And I’m well aware of the “rule” to hit a shot that you are 80% confident in. My point is that it isn’t like this new strategy for me is just application of all of the obvious stuff that we’ve been told about playing better golf.

This is different in some way that I can’t totally put my finger on. It may just be the “certainty” it is creating in my decisions, along with being OK with a wide range of outcomes, along with the relaxation I feel over the ball knowing the two points above. I pick a fat landing area and a club that won’t get me in trouble if I aim for that, and I have total confidence I’ve picked the right shot. So I just hit it. And it often ends up right where I wanted it. The other interesting side effect thus far has been that, because I’m stressing less, my learning and decision making are improving. I learned several things about my game today that I never really knew because my mind was so clear.

I guess before I was trying to hit good/perfect shots to big landing areas, but now I’m hitting what I know will be imperfect shots (and sometimes bad ones) to much bigger landing areas, and I’m allowing my “mind” some relief for being imperfect but still ending up with an acceptable outcome.

Enough words...maybe this should have been obvious to me. But for the first time in my 25 years of golfing, I finally feel like I’m “playing golf”.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a compounding effect in golf. Or if you like, vicious circles and virtuous circles. Bad shots lead to bad feelings which lead to more bad shots. Good shots lead to good feelings which lead to more good shots. For the average golfer, it's a very low percentage game to try to force your way out of bad play. Dial it back. Put the tee ball in play. Aim for the fat of the green. Chip out from the trees. If you're a long way from the green and there is danger at the green, then play short to a shot you like to play. Greenside chip, little run up shot, pitch. Whatever you can use to start stacking good shots. "But I'll never make a birdie that way!" Actually, you will. Maybe not on the number 1 handicap hole, but you will.

Once you start stacking good shots, you'll have a clearer mind. You'll be able to start stretching out your game.

The catch here is what to do when you are in a grey area. You need to go for it sometimes. But, pick your spots. Plan ahead and think of some holes where you'd like to go for it.

A good book on the concept is Radical Golf, by Michael Laughlin. You don't have to take all of his specific advice literally, as it was written in the age when woods were harder to hit. A good youtube channel on this is Golf Sidekick.

M4 Driver
4, 7, 9 woods

5, 6 Adams hybrids
7-GW Maltby irons
54 & 58º Wedges
LAB Mezz.1 box stock

> @MountainGoat said:

> When you start thinking target over mechanics, you're starting to play real golf. My experience is that if I earnestly do that, my swing gets smoother and more solid as the round progresses.

Exactly, but most golfers play, ( Golf Swing ) , that said, you are absolutely

Correct on thinking target over mechanics

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC

I played again today with my new strategy in place. It was mostly very good, though my score didn’t totally reflect it. I hit 10 GIR which I’ve only done one other time in my life. I didn’t make any triples. I found a lot of fairways, and in particular I found the fairways on several of my nemesis holes. It was so fun playing what felt like “chess” with the golf course. I hit cuts. I hit draws. But only twice did I get in bad trouble when a shot didn’t curve the way I intended, and that was just due to bad shots. I can live with that.

I was very frustrated, though, that I wasted a lot of my good shots with poor putts and short game play. In particular, my wedges were awful (which is weird because I’m usually decent with them). I couldn’t have possibly putted worse than I did. I lost count of my 3 putts. My speed control was terrible. I knew that my new strategy was going to put more pressure on my short game, but I have a good short game usually so I was fine with that. But it wasn’t good today.

Still, it was very fun “playing golf “ and I was just amazed at how I navigated the course. I’ve never felt that way before. It also highlighted some things I need to work on, which is often hard to tell.

Anyway, I’m all in on this new way to go. I’m glad to try to explain the nuances to anyone if you have any questions. I totally agree with the virtuous cycle concept!

Course management is a very important part of this game. Even more so for us regular golfers. Sure you might be able to fly the hazard and land on the green from 230yds out with danger surrounding the green. Ask yourself how often are you going to hit that shot? Play to the safe landing area and go from there.

On the regular course I play there is a shorter par 4 that has a narrow green. There is water on the left, about 5yds off the edge of the green and woods and cart path maybe 3yds on the right. The green is maybe 10yds wide. I can usually reach within 100yds on my tee shot but I usually play short to the green unless I am directly inline with the green. If I am off to the right or left of the fairway I am usually playing to the front of the green and hoping for my ball to roll out onto the green. From the landing area the green is downhill so it's easy to do especially in the summer.

In to follow thread.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

A few more points I forgot from earlier.

I think I’ve started to get a little too conservative with my strategy. It was necessary to start down this path, and because that day earlier this week I was losing directional control. So I had to give myself unusually large targets. And it led to this less stressful way of playing, which ironically led to better scores (which then seems to have led to better shots). So although I hit 10 greens today, in fairness to my putting I did leave myself some long putts in the wrong spots on greens. I started to think that if I had perhaps gotten a little smarter or narrower about my “totally OK with anything inside this rectangle “ targets then maybe I wouldn’t have left myself some of these long putts. I decided, though, to stay with it for now. This has been much more enjoyable than my golf before. And if I hit 10 greens every time I play for a while, I’ll sign up for that right now, even if I have some long leaves.

Second, what seems to be happening is just this “relaxation” with my decision and with the potential outcomes, so I stand over the ball looser and more carefree now. I swing easier. And I know everyone already knows this, but I’m hitting the ball just as far swinging at what feels like 75% effort. Point being that it is all about the relaxation and the comfort it leads to in standing over the shot. I had one hole where I had to debate whether to hit driver or 3 wood. Normally I would have taken 3 wood and hit it hard, or driver on an aggressive line. Instead, I chose driver to a conservative line and decided I did not want to kill it. Just get it out there in my rectangle. And I swung so easy, hit it dead straight, and bombed it. So it didn’t matter what club I hit. It mattered what shot I chose to play and the comfort that choice gave me.

I’ll keep posting updates. I made a mistake today of having score expectations when I teed off. It caused me to be too cautious with my putter. I need to extend the concept to my score expectation too. I’ll think on that a little more and let you know what I come up with.

I like reading these posts and then find myself thinking..... "Boy you guys are obsessed with this game and think you're pros playing for a paycheque".

The OP probably has a similar HC to me, but more volatile scoring. Not sure why score is such a big deal? Yes we want 18 good holes, but if not play it as 2-9's or 3-6's or 6-3's and of course 18 individual holes.

Golf comes down to 4 components, Off the tee, Approaches, Chipping & putting. Anything can be off one day & that's just life.

I know if I am good off the tee, I should score well, but every shot should be looked at on it's own merit, and the # so pre-occupied with score does make me wonder.

My scoring is volatile. I’m a 9 cap but can shoot 79 or 99 and everything in between. My home course is a tough one, so a 79 is like 5 or 6 handicap points...can’t remember. An 82 is 8. I tend to have just enough rounds where it all randomly comes together so that a shoot a low one, mixed in with days where I can barely keep the ball on the planet. I’ve got a great driving range game, thus why I’ve figured the mental stuff may be a key to future improvements. I’m sure there’s something there, but just haven’t been able to unlock it until recently (maybe)...

Score is a measure of progress. It wasn’t long ago that I was a 25 cap. Then a 21. Then an 18, then 14...you get the point. I’ve worked hard to improve at this game and score is really the only measure that tells me whether my work is paying off.

I’d like to just enjoy it, though. That would be awesome, but hard for me to conceive of at the moment...

I definitely think there is something to this, something psychological that can be taken advantage of or maximized.

I was always taught that when picking a target, you want to make it as specific as possible-- a particular flag pole in the distance, a specific tree trunk, etc. However, I've come to believe that this might not be best for everyone-- some are better off playing to areas rather than hyper specific targets. My theory is that for some, simply that playing to a larger target area facilitates more confidence and a better swing, resulting in better shots that actually end up closer to your ideal target than if you had focused in on said target, instead of the area around the target.

I will actually sort of do both, I will decide on a shot shape and ultimate ideal target, but then mentally 'back away' from the specific target and play to a much wider area. My setup will be for the ideal target, but my thought process and mental target is just to hit the right shot shape within the circle. I find that I often hit the target I want, and if not, my misses tend to be one-sided and predictable. With very specific targets and focusing on those targets, I tend to get all over the place and really throw in the odds of a two-way miss. To me that is evidence that it's a purely psychological thing that is affecting the swing.

This article seems to suggest similarly, that some people play better with a target while some play better hitting to an area: https://www.adamyounggolf.com/aim-small-miss-small/

I was hoping someone would mention the “aim small, miss small” theory. I tried it for a while and it most definitely did not work for me. The more specific I got, the more “steering” I tried to do and the more annoyed I became with missing my target.

I still have an ideal spot in mind when I aim to my 3000 sq ft targets now. But I set up to this huge target and pick a shot / shot shape that should both hit near my ideal target but stay in my 3000 sq foot ellipse/rectangle.

I applied it to my putting but am afraid that may have created too much relaxation in my putts. I left everything short at first and then hit everything long after I adjusted. Because my tolerances can be tighter with the putter, I probably need tighter tolerances on my putting targets.

Someone also mentioned knowing when you need to respond to green light situations vs always playing as if to a caution light. Yeah. Haven’t figured that out yet either, but I think it is best to start conservative and get more aggressive as you get more comfortable with the shots required.

> @jpking17 said:

> I don't know whats worse....feeling like you played great and just didn't score well....or feeling like you played horrible and grinding to a better score.

I had the best of both worlds yesterday. One of the best ballstriking days I can remember, but made some horrendous decisions because of overconfidence. 4 penalty strokes and shot an 82 which isn't a bad score for me, but I can shoot 82 on days where I'm spraying it all over the place. Could/should have easily been around a 75 or 76 with the way I was hitting the ball. The two holes I had doubles on are a birdie hole (short straight par 4) and a par 3 that I regularly par, so it felt like I gave up 5 strokes on those two alone.

I'd sell my children to have yesterday's ballstriking consistently, and somehow I still managed to score in the 80's. Very frustrating.

"Of all the hazards, fear is the worst" - Sam Snead
WITB: PXG 0311 ~ Ping Anser 4w @16.5 ~ Cobra F6 Baffler @18.5 ~ Titleist T300 4-P ~ Titleist Vokey 48, 54, 58 ~ Cleveland HB 8

My biggest mental weakness - "CRUSH THAT F*CKER!!" instead of swinging through the ball with a more even tempo. I don't know how many times I've told myself to just look at the LPGA and their ~250 yard drives on 6600 yard courses rated probably 145+ for them, all while still shooting 60 somethings.

My biggest physical/golf swing issue - Letting my swing get too long & Balls above my feet. First one I practice on the range but honestly I am so busy, I'm lucky to hit balls 2x a month. I try to play every single week as this is where I feel move value comes in and I can practice the 2nd issue, balls on weird lies. For some reason, anytime a ball is above my feet, I might as well just blindfold myself and swing. It's a bit mental but I feel like my swing changes a lot... I catch so many balls thin, it's like I see the ball above my feet and I can't hit down on the ball anymore. My path ends up also getting massively out to in and if I do manage to actually even hit the ball on the club face, it's usually a massive hook.

If anybody reads this and has advice on the last part, @ me. I figure maybe I could try standing a touch closer to the ball and try to hit more of a cut... but I'm a natural draw ball player. A cut for me is just straight. I can hit one if I choke up like 2 inches, but that's more of a cut due to lie angle than face angle.

Had my best round of the year the other day giving a playing lesson. I was so concentrated on what he was doing that when I added my score up I was surprised to see the number...

I wasn't even wearing my glasses and needed help finding flags. If my short game was sharp it could have been spectacular. Just goes to show what happens between the ears is critical to success more than you realize most of the time...

Hogan's Secret.......it's in plain sight but not for everyone...
https://6sigmagolfrx.com/
2017 Taylormade M2 9.5 (set at 10.5) w/ Diamana S+ Blueboard 60 S
2010 Tour Edge Exotics XCG3 3W w/Fujikura Motore S 15 deg
2014 Taylormade SLDR S HL 3W 17deg Fujikura Speeder 65 R, shortened
2017 Tour Edge Exotics 3H UST Mamiya 670 S
2009 Callaway Xforged 3i w/ KBS tour S
2012 Cobra Amp Forged 4-GW w/ Fujikura Pro i95 S
2013 Miura forged 54 & 58 wedges - w/ DG Tour issue S
Ping Cadence Rustler Traditional putter

@Z1ggy16 , two things:

First, my big misses tend to come from trying to kill the ball. I have a tendency to over release which causes me to pull / hook it. When I’m trying to kill it, I’m really prone to over releasing. I haven’t played in a couple of weeks, but that was going to be my next thing to work on...minimize my release, or a relaxed release.

As for balls above your feet, I too struggle with these though seem to have made some adjustments that have helped me here. First, I go too much in-to-out / below the plane, and so I’ve had to work hard to keep my swing above the plane in the backswing. That alone has helped me some with balls above my feet.

But, I also make a few setup adjustments. First, I play one club extra. Second, I choke down on it commensurate with the lie. Third, I put the ball back in my stance some. Fourth, I open the face a little at address. Finally, I aim left to compensate for the draw (I’m a lefty so you would aim right). Do all of that, and then make your backswing and downswing a little more around you commensurate with the lie, and it should make these shots easier.

It stinks when your home course has multiple holes with above your feet lies and hanging lies, when those are your nemeses. I’ve had to work hard to fix those issues in my game, though I still struggle a lot with the hanging lie.

I am working on this as well. I find it easy think about, but harder to execute. My mind wants to trace a line from the pin to the ball. It's the perfect shot, which I know that I am rarely capable of hitting.

I've realized that when playing with players who's game I know really well, they would score much better f they let me pick the clubs and shot strategy for them. If I were to caddy for one of my buddies I am convinced that I could knock several shots off their typical score.

Lately, I have been trying to apply this principle to myself by taking to myself out loud before hitting the ball. Like I have a caddy and I am describing the intended shot, and I have to convince the caddy that it's a good shot. Where is the safe landing zone, what is the ball flight going to look like to minimize trouble, how hard am I swinging, what is the wind doing, how is the lie going to impact the swing. Things you might think about, but can ignore when it's just your mind and you'd rather rip a big drive or try to go for the pin so you can make a birdie. I find this relaxes me and humbles me. I'm no longer trying to hit a perfect shot, but am playing within my skill level and accounting for my misses. So far I have all but eliminated double bogeys and over, whereas I used to have at least one 7 or 8 on the scorecard every round. I am laying up more on par 5s, sometimes hitting PW with the second shot trying to hit 250, 125, 125. Just trying to hit the highest percentage shot that is going to help me score well. Once you start feeling like you are executing your plans, the game seems simpler. Tee shot in fairway. On the fat part of the green. 2 putt. Par. Next hole.

PING G400 MAX 10*, Ventus Blue 6X

Cleveland HiBore XL 2 Wood - THE GOAT

Cobra F6 Baffler 17,5*, AD DI 8S

Cobra F7 Hybrid 21.5*, AD DI 95S

Srixon ZX5mk2 5, ZX7mk2 6-PW Modus 120x

50/54/60 Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore DG Spinner

OP, it took me a couple of decades to figure out the same thing.... I had the same epiphany after getting mad about chunking a pitch shot, where I was trying to aim for such a small target. I realized that I was putting a ridiculous amount of pressure on myself, expecting myself to play like a PGA Tour pro when I am anything but!!!

Another update. Today was the first time I’ve been able to play in a couple of weeks. Kept my strategy up and mostly had good results. My score once again didn’t totally reflect it, but more on that in a second. This time I tried to be more precise with short game yet extremely “non-precise” with long game. Like I said...decent results.

Ok, on to scoring. I had another “thought” during my round today. I shot 84 but hit the ball as well as perhaps I ever have. I felt a lot of control over my driver. I was pounding it and my irons, despite swinging at what felt like 80% effort. I just thought to myself “there is no way that someone who hits the ball like me should shoot 84”. 78 I get. I do still spray it occasionally on a couple of nemesis holes.

But I guess this is my question for the group. How do you transition from striking the ball really well and feeling like you’ve somewhat learned how to work your way around the course to scoring commensurate with your talent and strategy?

And before you answer with short game, etc., my strokes seem to be lost in a multitude of ways. Some 3 putts. Some poor chips / pitches. Some poor tee shots. My point is that it doesn’t seem to be “one” thing.

Thanks for any help!

_I just thought to myself “there is no way that someone who hits the ball like me should shoot 84”. 78 I get. I do still spray it occasionally on a couple of nemesis holes._

I guess it depends on what "someone who hits the ball like me" means. Especially since you still spray it occasionally.

You have to be eliminate THAT last part. Also, do you practice trying to "hit the nine windows"? (hi draw, medium, low etc)

Having that ability and to hit "shots" instead of a draw, fade or straight shot and changing trajectories for different situations gives you the confidence you need to be able to execute. Also, figure out a "go to" driver shot you can execute EVERY time.

Hogan's Secret.......it's in plain sight but not for everyone...
https://6sigmagolfrx.com/
2017 Taylormade M2 9.5 (set at 10.5) w/ Diamana S+ Blueboard 60 S
2010 Tour Edge Exotics XCG3 3W w/Fujikura Motore S 15 deg
2014 Taylormade SLDR S HL 3W 17deg Fujikura Speeder 65 R, shortened
2017 Tour Edge Exotics 3H UST Mamiya 670 S
2009 Callaway Xforged 3i w/ KBS tour S
2012 Cobra Amp Forged 4-GW w/ Fujikura Pro i95 S
2013 Miura forged 54 & 58 wedges - w/ DG Tour issue S
Ping Cadence Rustler Traditional putter

This makes me think of a hole I played incorrectly last week. I was in the trees and felt if I can it low and hook a 5 iron, I would have been on the green. I ended up in the trap which was wet and took an 8 on a par 4. I would have been much better served to hit a 7 iron in front of the green, chip on and two putt.