2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Callaway 2019 Apex Tour and Pro Irons

kjrobertson

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Am I wasting my money by getting these? I'm a 17.9 handicap. Taking lessons for the past 5 months at Golftec.

Not a waste if you have spare cash...if cash strapped, I tell them to grab a set of Titleist DCI black or Tommy Armour 845's, the likes of David Duval, Davis Love III used them, respectively...nice cheap sticks and perform very well w/ a new set of grips :-)

I got round to trying these yesterday (2019 Apex Pro), and I have to say, I don't like them. I wasn't a fan of the CF16 either (hence sticking with mine from 2014). The 'cupface' technology and 'pro' do not go together in my mind. I do not want a forged players iron to be hot off the face. I tried the 2018 X Forged for this reason which were better, but the 2014 model were a sweet spot for me (club wear aside, mine look like they've been through 10 rounds with Mike Tyson).

Taylormade Mini 300 11.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue 6S
Callaway X Forged UT 18, 21, 24 - PX U 6.0
Callaway TCB 5 to AW - PX IO 6.0
Callaway Jaws Raw 54S, 60Z - PX IO 6.0
The 2200 Softie Bobby Grace by Cobra

Do you get fliers that throw off distance control? If it’s hot off the face but consistent in distance, I would not have any issue.

I got round to trying these yesterday (2019 Apex Pro), and I have to say, I don't like them. I wasn't a fan of the CF16 either (hence sticking with mine from 2014). The 'cupface' technology and 'pro' do not go together in my mind. I do not want a forged players iron to be hot off the face. I tried the 2018 X Forged for this reason which were better, but the 2014 model were a sweet spot for me (club wear aside, mine look like they've been through 10 rounds with Mike Tyson).

I picked up my Pro's on Monday.

Hit the range last night and they are consistent for me on distance. I hit a few "thin" which was intentional just to test "feel'" limits (stinger) and it was going further but I would expect that. You could tell right away it had NO spin too coming off hit thin. IMHO from testing last night I think the thicker sole of the 19 Vs 16 really helps the feel on thin shots. I could see people thinking, including me last night, there is a "hot spot" but the feel did not register like you would normally think which is a bit misleading until you get used to it.

Edit: I will note loving the 4 iron way more in the 19. 16 I had issues with distance / gaping that seemed to close to the 5 iron. Right seems way better with the 19 Pro.

Do you get fliers that throw off distance control? If it's hot off the face but consistent in distance, I would not have any issue.

That's exactly what I got. I'm a reasonable player off of 4, so striking is fairly consistent, but it's not right out of the button every single time. When I do get everything right however, compressed ball, piercing flight, right out of the money, the iron would always airmail the green. The exact same thing I had with an RBZ Stage 2 fairway. What I want is for a flushed shot and a well hit shot to be as similar as possible. If I hit a poor shot, who cares how forgiving it is, it's not reaching the green anyway.

I'm two rounds in and loving them. They fit exactly what I needed: "Set" gap wedge, "helpful" long irons, "slower" short irons, cavity back, and with minimal offset. The head shapes are beautiful at address as well.

AI Smoke TD 9° w/HZRDUS Yellow

Epic Flash 12.5° w/Voodoo VS

'24 Apex UW 19° w/Rogue Silver

Epic Flash 20° w/VS Proto 
'19 Apex Pro 5-9 w/DG

MD2 47° & 52° + PM 1.0 58° & 64° w/DG
Odyssey White Hot 2 Ball Frankenstein (Fowler style)
[img]http://pxc86358mpx1hyn3hdxen4o1.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/171831.png[/img]

Do you get fliers that throw off distance control? If it's hot off the face but consistent in distance, I would not have any issue.

That's exactly what I got. I'm a reasonable player off of 4, so striking is fairly consistent, but it's not right out of the button every single time. When I do get everything right however, compressed ball, piercing flight, right out of the money, the iron would always airmail the green. The exact same thing I had with an RBZ Stage 2 fairway. What I want is for a flushed shot and a well hit shot to be as similar as possible. If I hit a poor shot, who cares how forgiving it is, it's not reaching the green anyway.

Djelliott79 we are the same hdcp. I average between 3.5-4.5 for the last few years. Quick question, what is your current gamers?

I had 16 Pro's and I will say the 19 Pros are longer but seems to be adding a bit more "real world" distance I did not see indoors during fitting. I would say around 6-10 yards. I did not see that Indoors during the fitting . It was only indicating 3-5 yards and I am using the same shaft I had in my 16 Pros. (KBS Tour) I chalked that up to the stronger loft.

I think its the new design honestly plus loft being 1 degree stronger is the factor. Cally stated these are now "a distance players iron".

I am just hoping what I have seen in the last days on the range testing is true and NOT a hot spot but right now I don't think it is. Time will tell. There is a gain though for sure from the 16 to 19 model. *Which is nice honestly if it is consistent

Love them, they do everything I ask + I have gotten a club longer. Soft feel and I am see the ball in the window I want when launched. Can flight them and work the ball. AAA++! I expect a little more distance when the weather is better, just a little cold here so body will only get so loose.

club longer than what?

I priced these out ... $275 CDN per club for the pro short irons, 8-PW

Sooo .. I went on Cally pre-owned and for $77 USD I scooped up the 8 and 9 iron pro's - from the combo set - to go with my CF16 six and sevens. (Keep the finish, look and lofts consistent)

I may find a PW or just stay with my x-proto MB and strengthen it by 1*

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

Love them, they do everything I ask + I have gotten a club longer. Soft feel and I am see the ball in the window I want when launched. Can flight them and work the ball. AAA++! I expect a little more distance when the weather is better, just a little cold here so body will only get so loose.

club longer than what?

Not sure what irons Scooterboy switched from (?) but I would say I am a "apples to apples" comparison. Went from 16 pros to 19 pros and using the same shaft, lie and length. Just the 19 pros are 1 degree stronger.

I am seeing gains as noted but not a full club. I would say you might see 1/2 club depending on your gaping.

Anyone think the 19 Pro "LOOKS" larger at address than the 16 Pros? Just wondering everyone's thoughts on the size.

Edit: I don't think they are by physical measurements but when I put the 19 Pro down it reminded me of the TM 790 for some odd reason * I have a 790 7 Iron I tested when they came out and put it next to the 19 Pro and it is bigger then the 19 Pros.

I think it looks friendlier than the 16s. the 16s looked very blade like. This looks a bit more friendly on the top, more like Ap2 thinness, but has a squatter blade head than AP2, giving it more that MP18 SC look. Difference, of course, is MP 18 SC has a much squarer toe vs the cally, and of course the finishes. 790s look way bigger to me, more along the thinness of the regular Apex 19.

Titleist TSi3 Ventus TR Blue 6x

Titleist TSi2 3W Venus TR Blue 7x

Callaway Apex 3 Hybrid Ventus HB Blue 9x

Callaway Apex Pro 4i DG 120 X100

Callaway Apex CB 5i-PW DG 120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM10 50F/54D/60S DG S300

L.A.B. MEZZ.1

• 1 month later...

You'll love them

I second this. Apex 14, (non pro) with the XP 95 shaft helped my game a ton. Reached and held greens I never could before. My swing is stronger now and I contemplate going with the Apex 19 or Apex pro 19 with a heavier shaft... Either that or the MP 18 SC. Anybody have comparison of the the MP 18 SC vs the new Apex pro?

Djelliott79 we are the same hdcp. I average between 3.5-4.5 for the last few years. Quick question, what is your current gamers?

I had 16 Pro's and I will say the 19 Pros are longer but seems to be adding a bit more "real world" distance I did not see indoors during fitting. I would say around 6-10 yards. I did not see that Indoors during the fitting . It was only indicating 3-5 yards and I am using the same shaft I had in my 16 Pros. (KBS Tour) I chalked that up to the stronger loft.

I think its the new design honestly plus loft being 1 degree stronger is the factor. Cally stated these are now "a distance players iron".

I am just hoping what I have seen in the last days on the range testing is true and NOT a hot spot but right now I don't think it is. Time will tell. There is a gain though for sure from the 16 to 19 model. *Which is nice honestly if it is consistent

Sorry for the slow reply. My signature below is my current setup. I played the Apex Pro 14 for 4 years, wore them out, and wanted to change them. I tried the 18 X Forged and 19 Apex Pro, and didn't like either. As luck has it, a brand new set of Apex MB 14/15 had been sat in the shop gathering dust, so I picked these up half price just a couple of months back. The feel of these are so much better in my opinion. However, distance wise they are hurting me compared to a Apex Pro 19. Lofts, cup face, with them being a blade etc., I'd say I'm a club down (matching your thoughts about being longer above). That said, a flushed and well hit 7 iron are similar with my MB, not the 'hot' shot of a cup face design that would probably be an 8 iron, so it's a tough balance. Only thing I miss is the Approach Gap set wedge. The Vokey 50 is nice, but at this point in my bag I'd sooner a set wedge. The latest Apex MB now offer this, but not the older version I now have.

club longer than what?

Not sure what irons Scooterboy switched from (?) but I would say I am a "apples to apples" comparison. Went from 16 pros to 19 pros and using the same shaft, lie and length. Just the 19 pros are 1 degree stronger.

I am seeing gains as noted but not a full club. I would say you might see 1/2 club depending on your gaping.

I'd agree with this! I have the '16 Apex Pro in the 6 & 7 iron (bent one strong) and I hit the new Apex Pro '19 literally the exact same carry yardage so I'm not sure what the Cup Face is providing. Maybe some more forgiveness and ball speed on off-center but I'd have to play with them more to know. The good news is I'm set with my 8-PW with the '18 MBs (not talked about enough on this forum) so I could just order a 7iron and play around with it.

Callaway Epic Speed 9° Driver
Callaway Epic Speed 4W - Smoke IM10

Callaway Apex UW (21°)

Mizuno Pro 225 (4i); 223 (5-9i); 221 (PW)
Jaws MD 5 50°, Full Toe 54°, 58° PM Grind
Toulon Odyssey Chicago

I still like the 2014 Apex Pro, but they have turned them into rocket launchers with the 2019 head. I think they are all the same on center contact, they’ve just expanded the area that makes it feel flushed. They do look nice. Of the 2019 model I definitely like the Pro more from address.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

Does anyone know if the combo set come in satin finish? Or is it just chrome finish in the short irons and satin in the long ones?

I currently game the 2014 Apex irons and I love the matte finish on them. I think the chrome finish of the 2019 Apex Pro irons is too shiny. I'd consider the combo set if it's all in satin finish.

Been playing my Apex Pro 19 for a while. I have the Tour Elevate shafts in mine and I love the combination. Launches high and with decent spin. Can know them down with no problem. The feel is just what I want: soft. My last set was the 2013 X-Forged and as much as I love those, the Pros are better in my opinion.

Do you find them smallish in appearance compared to 13 xforged?

Been playing my Apex Pro 19 for a while. I have the Tour Elevate shafts in mine and I love the combination. Launches high and with decent spin. Can know them down with no problem. The feel is just what I want: soft. My last set was the 2013 X-Forged and as much as I love those, the Pros are better in my opinion.

Do you find them smallish in appearance compared to 13 xforged?

They are a wee bit smaller profile and I really like the small size. For some reason, I like the smaller head because it makes me focus on a good strike. They are relatively forgiving and I love the way the slide through the turf.

Sorry for the slow reply. My signature below is my current setup. I played the Apex Pro 14 for 4 years, wore them out, and wanted to change them. I tried the 18 X Forged and 19 Apex Pro, and didn't like either. As luck has it, a brand new set of Apex MB 14/15 had been sat in the shop gathering dust, so I picked these up half price just a couple of months back. The feel of these are so much better in my opinion. However, distance wise they are hurting me compared to a Apex Pro 19. Lofts, cup face, with them being a blade etc., I'd say I'm a club down (matching your thoughts about being longer above). That said, a flushed and well hit 7 iron are similar with my MB, not the 'hot' shot of a cup face design that would probably be an 8 iron, so it's a tough balance. Only thing I miss is the Approach Gap set wedge. The Vokey 50 is nice, but at this point in my bag I'd sooner a set wedge. The latest Apex MB now offer this, but not the older version I now have.

Just get the 18 mb’s. They are even better!

Callaway triple Diamond paradym 9*- hulk 60tx 

Callaway paradym triple diamond - hulk 70tx 

Titleist TSi3 20* hybrid Matrix Black Tie 90x 
Srixon zx7mkii 456 / ZForgedii 789P- MMT 125tx 
Cleveland RTX6 50/54/ S400 TI Onyx 
Vokey Wedgeworks 60* V-grind 
Tri-hot double wide 

• 5 months later...

Curious if anyone has tried the gap wedge of the 19 Pros. Was thinking of picking one up, or possibly an Apex 18 MB gap wedge

Titleist TSR3 10* Tensei 1k Black 7x 44.5"

Titleist TSR3 16.5* Tensei 1k Black 7x 42.5"

Cobra F6 Baffler 19.5* Diamana Blueboard 8x 41.25"

Titleist U505 4i Tensei 1k Black 8x

Titleist T100 5i-9i Project X 6.5

Vokey SM9 46F/50F/54F/60M Project x 6.5

Scotty Cameron Phantom X5