who has actually played with a legit scratch golfer/pro level player?

NM44

> @Mcgeeno said:

>

> > @Tony_Ireland said:

>

> > I play in Ireland (Europe). You can go from a 5 to 2 in a mater of 4 or 5 competitions if you score really well. If you dont hit the buffer zone in a comp you receive a 0.1 adjustment back to your handicap.

> >

> > Example: Monday I played a competition and shot -2 (70) gross, so nett 68 as I play off 2.

> > CSS for the day was 72 so I got cut from 1.6 to 1.2.

> > Going by your system I could jump from 2 handicap to a +2 in one competition with a really good score??

> >

> > Only competitive rounds, you cant lose or gain strokes for casual golf.

> >

>

> No we could never move 4.0 in one round.

>

> Its a rolling average of your 10 best scores out of your last 20. Not just competition rounds though, all rounds played.

>

> I'm currently a 3.0 and went up from a 2.7 due to a poor round yesterday.

>

> I could be a 4.0 or a 2.0 by next Monday depending on how I play for example.

Thats crazy, its a lot easier to score well when playing a normal round with a friend, id probably be +1 by now if it was like that over here lol. Pretty sure there is gonna be one world handicap system introduced in the nextt 2 years anyway

> @Tony_Ireland said:

> > @Mcgeeno said:

> >

> > > @Tony_Ireland said:

> >

> > > I play in Ireland (Europe). You can go from a 5 to 2 in a mater of 4 or 5 competitions if you score really well. If you dont hit the buffer zone in a comp you receive a 0.1 adjustment back to your handicap.

> > >

> > > Example: Monday I played a competition and shot -2 (70) gross, so nett 68 as I play off 2.

> > > CSS for the day was 72 so I got cut from 1.6 to 1.2.

> > > Going by your system I could jump from 2 handicap to a +2 in one competition with a really good score??

> > >

> > > Only competitive rounds, you cant lose or gain strokes for casual golf.

> > >

> >

> > No we could never move 4.0 in one round.

> >

> > Its a rolling average of your 10 best scores out of your last 20. Not just competition rounds though, all rounds played.

> >

> > I'm currently a 3.0 and went up from a 2.7 due to a poor round yesterday.

> >

> > I could be a 4.0 or a 2.0 by next Monday depending on how I play for example.

>

> Thats crazy, its a lot easier to score well when playing a normal round with a friend, id probably be +1 by now if it was like that over here lol. Pretty sure there is gonna be one world handicap system introduced in the nextt 2 years anyway

> @Tony_Ireland said:

> > @Mcgeeno said:

> >

> >

> > > I play in Ireland (Europe). You can go from a 5 to 2 in a mater of 4 or 5 competitions if you score really well. If you dont hit the buffer zone in a comp you receive a 0.1 adjustment back to your handicap.

> > >

> > > Example: Monday I played a competition and shot -2 (70) gross, so nett 68 as I play off 2.

> > > CSS for the day was 72 so I got cut from 1.6 to 1.2.

> > > Going by your system I could jump from 2 handicap to a +2 in one competition with a really good score??

> > >

> > > Only competitive rounds, you cant lose or gain strokes for casual golf.

> > >

> >

> > No we could never move 4.0 in one round.

> >

> > Its a rolling average of your 10 best scores out of your last 20. Not just competition rounds though, all rounds played.

> >

> > I'm currently a 3.0 and went up from a 2.7 due to a poor round yesterday.

> >

> > I could be a 4.0 or a 2.0 by next Monday depending on how I play for example.

>

> Thats crazy, its a lot easier to score well when playing a normal round with a friend, id probably be +1 by now if it was like that over here lol. Pretty sure there is gonna be one world handicap system introduced in the nextt 2 years anyway

Maybe you would. I don't know your game.

You could also be an 8 handicap if you had one month where you struggled and actually had to post all your scores.

> @Mcgeeno said:

> > @Tony_Ireland said:

> > > @Mcgeeno said:

> > >

> > > > @Tony_Ireland said:

> > >

> > > > I play in Ireland (Europe). You can go from a 5 to 2 in a mater of 4 or 5 competitions if you score really well. If you dont hit the buffer zone in a comp you receive a 0.1 adjustment back to your handicap.

> > > >

> > > > Example: Monday I played a competition and shot -2 (70) gross, so nett 68 as I play off 2.

> > > > CSS for the day was 72 so I got cut from 1.6 to 1.2.

> > > > Going by your system I could jump from 2 handicap to a +2 in one competition with a really good score??

> > > >

> > > > Only competitive rounds, you cant lose or gain strokes for casual golf.

> > > >

> > >

> > > No we could never move 4.0 in one round.

> > >

> > > Its a rolling average of your 10 best scores out of your last 20. Not just competition rounds though, all rounds played.

> > >

> > > I'm currently a 3.0 and went up from a 2.7 due to a poor round yesterday.

> > >

> > > I could be a 4.0 or a 2.0 by next Monday depending on how I play for example.

> >

> > Thats crazy, its a lot easier to score well when playing a normal round with a friend, id probably be +1 by now if it was like that over here lol. Pretty sure there is gonna be one world handicap system introduced in the nextt 2 years anyway

>

> > @Tony_Ireland said:

> > > @Mcgeeno said:

> > >

> > >

> > > > I play in Ireland (Europe). You can go from a 5 to 2 in a mater of 4 or 5 competitions if you score really well. If you dont hit the buffer zone in a comp you receive a 0.1 adjustment back to your handicap.

> > > >

> > > > Example: Monday I played a competition and shot -2 (70) gross, so nett 68 as I play off 2.

> > > > CSS for the day was 72 so I got cut from 1.6 to 1.2.

> > > > Going by your system I could jump from 2 handicap to a +2 in one competition with a really good score??

> > > >

> > > > Only competitive rounds, you cant lose or gain strokes for casual golf.

> > > >

> > >

> > > No we could never move 4.0 in one round.

> > >

> > > Its a rolling average of your 10 best scores out of your last 20. Not just competition rounds though, all rounds played.

> > >

> > > I'm currently a 3.0 and went up from a 2.7 due to a poor round yesterday.

> > >

> > > I could be a 4.0 or a 2.0 by next Monday depending on how I play for example.

> >

> > Thats crazy, its a lot easier to score well when playing a normal round with a friend, id probably be +1 by now if it was like that over here lol. Pretty sure there is gonna be one world handicap system introduced in the nextt 2 years anyway

>

> Maybe you would. I don't know your game.

>

> You could also be an 8 handicap if you had one month where you struggled and actually had to post all your scores.

>

>

So theres no limit on what you can go up? Sure thats a load of rubbish, i could just go out and play shit in one comp, go from a 1 to a 4 then do the same the following week, then go wipe out a tournament sandbagging off 7 or 8???

> @Tony_Ireland said:

> > @Mcgeeno said:

> > > > @Mcgeeno said:

> > > >

> > > > > @Tony_Ireland said:

> > > >

> > > > > I play in Ireland (Europe). You can go from a 5 to 2 in a mater of 4 or 5 competitions if you score really well. If you dont hit the buffer zone in a comp you receive a 0.1 adjustment back to your handicap.

> > > > >

> > > > > Example: Monday I played a competition and shot -2 (70) gross, so nett 68 as I play off 2.

> > > > > CSS for the day was 72 so I got cut from 1.6 to 1.2.

> > > > > Going by your system I could jump from 2 handicap to a +2 in one competition with a really good score??

> > > > >

> > > > > Only competitive rounds, you cant lose or gain strokes for casual golf.

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > No we could never move 4.0 in one round.

> > > >

> > > > Its a rolling average of your 10 best scores out of your last 20. Not just competition rounds though, all rounds played.

> > > >

> > > > I'm currently a 3.0 and went up from a 2.7 due to a poor round yesterday.

> > > >

> > > > I could be a 4.0 or a 2.0 by next Monday depending on how I play for example.

> > >

> > > Thats crazy, its a lot easier to score well when playing a normal round with a friend, id probably be +1 by now if it was like that over here lol. Pretty sure there is gonna be one world handicap system introduced in the nextt 2 years anyway

> >

> > > > @Mcgeeno said:

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > > I play in Ireland (Europe). You can go from a 5 to 2 in a mater of 4 or 5 competitions if you score really well. If you dont hit the buffer zone in a comp you receive a 0.1 adjustment back to your handicap.

> > > > >

> > > > > Example: Monday I played a competition and shot -2 (70) gross, so nett 68 as I play off 2.

> > > > > Going by your system I could jump from 2 handicap to a +2 in one competition with a really good score??

> > > > >

> > > > > Only competitive rounds, you cant lose or gain strokes for casual golf.

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > Its a rolling average of your 10 best scores out of your last 20. Not just competition rounds though, all rounds played.

> > > >

> > > > I'm currently a 3.0 and went up from a 2.7 due to a poor round yesterday.

> > > >

> > > > I could be a 4.0 or a 2.0 by next Monday depending on how I play for example.

> > >

> > > Thats crazy, its a lot easier to score well when playing a normal round with a friend, id probably be +1 by now if it was like that over here lol. Pretty sure there is gonna be one world handicap system introduced in the nextt 2 years anyway

> >

> > Maybe you would. I don't know your game.

> >

> > You could also be an 8 handicap if you had one month where you struggled and actually had to post all your scores.

> >

> >

>

> So theres no limit on what you can go up? Sure thats a load of rubbish, i could just go out and play **** in one comp, go from a 1 to a 4 then do the same the following week, then go wipe out a tournament sandbagging off 7 or 8???

Depending on how many rounds you play you could definitely tank your handicap. Its an average though so one round will not effect it like you think it will in your mind. It would take 20 rounds of sustained poor play...

I've never seen anyone do it personally. Rounds have to be attested by someone, most clubs have safeguards in place for that type of sandbagging. (Handicap commitees/tournament revisions/DQ etc.)

It will be interesting to see how the world system works. There is good and bad with both.

Where you see the craziness in someone moving up so fast and sandbagging, I see the craziness in a guy who could spend years as a 1 handicap when he actually might play like a 5 or 10 cap but you can only move .1 at a time. That could take years to actually be accurate.

Mine is literally updated as soon as I post the score and if a player is honest its a true reflection of his current game/skill.

> @Mcgeeno said:

> > @Tony_Ireland said:

> > > @Mcgeeno said:

> > > > > @Mcgeeno said:

> > > > >

> > > > > > @Tony_Ireland said:

> > > > >

> > > > > > I play in Ireland (Europe). You can go from a 5 to 2 in a mater of 4 or 5 competitions if you score really well. If you dont hit the buffer zone in a comp you receive a 0.1 adjustment back to your handicap.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Example: Monday I played a competition and shot -2 (70) gross, so nett 68 as I play off 2.

> > > > > > CSS for the day was 72 so I got cut from 1.6 to 1.2.

> > > > > > Going by your system I could jump from 2 handicap to a +2 in one competition with a really good score??

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Only competitive rounds, you cant lose or gain strokes for casual golf.

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > No we could never move 4.0 in one round.

> > > > >

> > > > > Its a rolling average of your 10 best scores out of your last 20. Not just competition rounds though, all rounds played.

> > > > >

> > > > > I'm currently a 3.0 and went up from a 2.7 due to a poor round yesterday.

> > > > >

> > > > > I could be a 4.0 or a 2.0 by next Monday depending on how I play for example.

> > > >

> > > > Thats crazy, its a lot easier to score well when playing a normal round with a friend, id probably be +1 by now if it was like that over here lol. Pretty sure there is gonna be one world handicap system introduced in the nextt 2 years anyway

> > >

> > > > > @Mcgeeno said:

> > > > >

> > > > > > @Tony_Ireland said:

> > > > >

> > > > > > I play in Ireland (Europe). You can go from a 5 to 2 in a mater of 4 or 5 competitions if you score really well. If you dont hit the buffer zone in a comp you receive a 0.1 adjustment back to your handicap.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Example: Monday I played a competition and shot -2 (70) gross, so nett 68 as I play off 2.

> > > > > > CSS for the day was 72 so I got cut from 1.6 to 1.2.

> > > > > > Going by your system I could jump from 2 handicap to a +2 in one competition with a really good score??

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Only competitive rounds, you cant lose or gain strokes for casual golf.

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > No we could never move 4.0 in one round.

> > > > >

> > > > > Its a rolling average of your 10 best scores out of your last 20. Not just competition rounds though, all rounds played.

> > > > >

> > > > > I'm currently a 3.0 and went up from a 2.7 due to a poor round yesterday.

> > > > >

> > > > > I could be a 4.0 or a 2.0 by next Monday depending on how I play for example.

> > > >

> > > > Thats crazy, its a lot easier to score well when playing a normal round with a friend, id probably be +1 by now if it was like that over here lol. Pretty sure there is gonna be one world handicap system introduced in the nextt 2 years anyway

> > >

> > > Maybe you would. I don't know your game.

> > >

> > > You could also be an 8 handicap if you had one month where you struggled and actually had to post all your scores.

> > >

> > >

> >

> > So theres no limit on what you can go up? Sure thats a load of rubbish, i could just go out and play **** in one comp, go from a 1 to a 4 then do the same the following week, then go wipe out a tournament sandbagging off 7 or 8???

>

> Depending on how many rounds you play you could definitely tank your handicap. I've never seen anyone do it personally. Rounds have to be attested by someone, most clubs have safeguards in place for that type of sandbagging. (Handicap commitees/tournament revisions/DQ etc.)

>

> It will be interesting to see how the world system works. There is good and bad with both.

>

> Where you see the craziness in someone moving up so fast and sandbagging, I see the craziness in a guy who could spend years as a 1 handicap when he actually might play like a 5 or 10 cap but you can only move .1 at a time. That could take years to actually be accurate.

>

> Mine is literally updated as soon as I post the score and if a player is honest its a true reflection of his current game/skill.

>

>

I hear you but, Ive never ever ever played with a 1 hcap and thought "that guy should be playing off 10". Theres levels to it. If a guy playing off X hcap is struggling consistently from injury maybe or whatever reason, at the end of each golfing year the hcap secretary can adjust the hcap as he sees fit.

> @Tony_Ireland said:

> > @Mcgeeno said:

> > > > @Mcgeeno said:

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> >

> > > > @Mcgeeno said:

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> >

> > Maybe you would. I don't know your game.

> >

> > You could also be an 8 handicap if you had one month where you struggled and actually had to post all your scores.

> >

> >

>

> So theres no limit on what you can go up? Sure thats a load of rubbish, i could just go out and play **** in one comp, go from a 1 to a 4 then do the same the following week, then go wipe out a tournament sandbagging off 7 or 8???

No you can't. That score wouldn't count towards your 10 best of 20 rounds. It just knocks off the oldest score available so it could in theory not do anything to your cap if it bumps a score outside of the top 10 anyways.

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

> @Tony_Ireland said:

I believe your confusion stems from a basic misunderstanding. You are assuming a "USGA Handicap" and a "CONGU handicap" (or whatever your local authority, I'm not up on the nomenclature over there) are in any way comparable. They are not, they are two different things that only superficially look like they are supposed to be the same.

Your handicap is meant to reflect your play in past competitions and to be used for handicapping your play in future competitions.

Handicaps in the USGA system are meant to track the day-to-day, round-to-round vagaries of every single round a USA golfer plays (other than solo rounds). They are meant to be an estimate of a player's "potential" (whatever the hell that means) when playing whatever mix of competitive, non-competing and semi-competitive rounds he happens to play.

Friendly game with gimme putts? Yes. Playing with no money on the line and no competitive aspect at all? Yes. Saturday morning 4BBB with your usual three mates? Yes.

You're just commenting on what we in USA have known forever. A USGA Handicap Index is only useful for competition under very are circumstances. That's when the golfers involved all day competition seriously on a week to week basis and don't have mostly garbage rounds in the GHIN system. And when there is rigorous peer review for ALL the competitors (unusual because of the every-round-counts mentality of the system). Otherwise, it's just a number that reflects a fiddled-around average of the scores a golfer chooses to type into the computer.

• Like 1

It sounds harsh but good players + handicaps and mini tour guys dont want to play with mid or high handicappers as it doesn’t benefit their game, you improve by playing with better players so playing with high handicappers doesn’t benefit their game, they might be your buddy socially but they tend to stick to their own who play at a similar level in the same money games.

• Like 1

Ping G410 w/ Helium Stiiff 45g shaft

Callaway Epic Flash 3+ w/ green Evenflow Stiff 60g

TM M5 Fujikura 65g Stiff

PXG Gen 2 7 wood Blue even flow 60g Stiff

5-PW PXG 0311P w/ MMT 80g Stiff

50,54,58 Ping Glide 3.0 stock

MLA Tour Mallet

Srixon Z star

> @MtlJeff said:

> Legit scratch and Pro level are 2 very different things. I am a legit scratch, have a few under par rounds this year on a 75/140 course and 7-8 other 72's.

>

>

>

> I have played with many of the top amateurs in Quebec, one of the top juniors in Canada, one of the top seniors in Canada.

>

>

>

> Have not played with a PGA pro, which is a whole other level

>

>

>

> A top AM, like a +3 or whatever, they often look like scratches to the casual golfer. But in truth they just miss far less shots

You speak the truth- I'm fortunate to know a lot of folks in golf- I've not really deserved it- It's funny- people often have a "handicap" but I'm often curious where they derived it from- the guys that you see play a lot of local tournaments "(club tournaments) will often undersell their handicap (sandbagging). Then you have the club golfers that call themselves a 7 handicap but rarely ever break 80- which I don't understand.

To get to scratch, if you know your course and have a good short game, you can get to scratch without being long or Tommy Fleetwood with your irons.

But I have never seen a legitimate plus handicap that didn't stripe the ball- especially compared to most golfers at the club. They will typically be pin high if they miss right or left. There is a difference in the sound of shots and the authority with which they come off the club. Also- I've not seen a plus hcp that sucks with a wedge in their hand. That's a big separator to me- flighting wedges- controlling spin, etc...

If you think about how good the PGA and LPGA players are- even the "journeymen" were the best players in their state, region, and sometimes in the country during their youth-

I've had the pleasure of playing with a few PGA guys, some on the Champions Tour now, web, and mini tour guys. They can just flat out play. Playing with some of the PGA guys really shows you what kind of ball striking is possible, and how many clubs they can hit for each and every shot if they want to. Good example of that is one of the PGA guys that I've played with hit 5 different clubs to the same pin from 145 out because one of the guys we were playing with couldn't understand why he was hitting such a long club in. That's the kind of thing that is just flat out fun to watch up close.

I am a +2 and play with others that level in local events. I am at the level because of my approach shots and short game. I don't have the swing speed to tear par 5's apart. I hit 12 to 13 greens in regulation. Guys in my mens club who get paired with me routinely out drive me. But scratch and better players don't waste shots as often as others. They save par more often and usually miss in a more recoverable place. One year I went almost 10 rounds without a three putt. A lot of it is just keeping the ball in play knowing your limitations and converting 20-30 percent of your birdie putts. Sure, on days when you get good yardages or have a hot putter you can shoot something really nice. But most days it is one or two under with a few bogies. Last weekend I played in 15 mph winds, was trying 2 different golf balls only hit 10 greens but shot one under with 3 birdies and 2 bogies on a 71.9 rated par 71 course. I did hit one kick in birdie on a 212 par 3 but for the most part didn't hit it great tee to green. Putted ok but not great. I use surlyn balls so no one is expecting much when they see me tee it up. When I played in Scotland in May I only broke par once in 3 rounds.

But on my best days I would be lucky to break par on the Champions tour and those guys shoot low to mid 60's a lot. I never felt tempted to try to get to that level. My life didn't have enough time to find those extra shots. I have competed against guys who have put in that time and there is no guarantee you will find those shots. I stay in my muni pool of fish and am happy when I hit a few gems and sink a few putts. The young backs out hit me by 60 or more yards. I doubt I will stay +2 much longer but it has been fun while it lasted.

• Like 2

I played with 3 guys in the championship flight a few weeks back. It was a tournament where you make your own groups the first day. The group I was paired up with didn't show up, so they put me with a scratch, a 5, and a 6. I was extremely nervous being a 14 handicap paired with them, but I feel that I played much better with them. The most incredible part about the scratch player was his putting. He didn't drive the ball super long, never really hit his irons incredibly close, but my God he could putt and chip. The 5 and 6 handicaps were also extremely consistent, they were both in their 60's and used to be around scratch. You could tell their distance was not what it used to be but once they were close to the green they were incredible. I actually had the longest drive multiple times, but it didn't matter because I can't putt into a 5 gallon bucket from 10 feet. I ended up shooting an 81 (my lowest score of the year) and really enjoyed watching how consistent those other guys were.

Ping G430 Max KaiLi White 60 Stiff (9 degree)
Cobra King RAD 3 Wood Fujikura Motore X F3 Stiff (14.5 degree setting)
Mizuno CLK Hybrid (19 and 22 degree, I swap them out depending on the wind in the parking lot)

Mizuno JPX-921 Hot Metal Pro 4-5 Irons - KBS Tour Regular Flex Steel Shafts

Mizuno JPX-921 Forged 6 Iron - G Wedge - KBS Tour Regular Flex Steel Shafts 
Titleist SM9 54 and 58 
Scotty Cameron Phantom X6 CS (34")

> @Mullyman said:

> I had the opportunity on two occasions to play with Division One golfers in a scramble, the first one had a +1 handicap the second a +2. Let just say that except for a few puts and the mandatory 2 drives per nine in the second one; I was a spectator most of the day.

I was on a golf vacation overseas and was asked to fill in on Pro-Am team (3 Ams + 1 Pro) when one of the teams had a last minute drop-out. The format was best two balls out of the four count, the amateurs get their handicap strokes. I guess having me along was better than playing with just three players.

Here's the thing. Team was a local club-pro, good player who'd won all sorts of local and regional tournaments as a amateur a few years before. A father/son combo, both members of the club, the son was better than scratch and the father was a two or three handicap. Playing on their home course. And did I mention it was raining off and on with winds 20-gusting-30?

My first "contribution" to the team was when the pro and the father were both in their pocket on a long Par 4. Took me three shots to get just short of the green but I was getting a stroke and needed simply to two-putt for bogey net par from the fringe, maybe 40 feet from the hole. I was so nervous I jabbed the first putt 20 feet past the hole. Then left the second one three feet short. Then missed the third one. Team had to count my net double. And I darned near lipped out that fourth putt, if I'm honest.

It was embarrassing but as I say, guess I did no harm. They'd have been in a world of hurt having to play two balls out of three all day in that wind. Don't think the pro or the father could have done better than double after losing four balls between them without ever reaching the green. It was a pity though, the son shot gross one under par (two birdies, one bogey) under atrocious conditions on a tough course. Hated to see his round wasted. He finished second in the individual (gross) competition, somehow one of the other Ams shot like three or four under in that wind.

P.S. The team did use my ball one other time. On the very next hole after my 4-putt disaster I actually hit a GIR and made par net birdie for the team.

> @SnapHooker_605 said:

> The most incredible part about the scratch player was his putting. He didn't drive the ball super long, never really hit his irons incredibly close, but my God he could putt and chip.

Same experience when playing with my buddy who's basically scratch. He simply does not give away anything inside of 50 yards. I'd never bet against him getting up and down from ANYWHERE.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 10° Ventus Black

Titleist TS2 18° Diamana D+

Titleist TSR2 21° Diamana D+ 

Titleist TSi2 24° Diamana D+

Titleist T100 5-7, 620MB 8-PW Axiom 105S

Vokey 50.8°F, 56.14°F, 60.12°D Axiom 125X

Scotty Cameron Newport MMT Putter Concept

while i play off scratch/+ ; i look at guys i play with and against in state tournaments that are better than i, and walk away impressed every time. i played with a guy in a state open practice round that shot a smooth 67; with a bogey and 1 eagle while never seeing the course before. every tee shot was pure, his swing was completely unencumbered and just looked effortless. not only that but his putting stroke and routine regimen was to a T.

just awesome to watch and there's always something to take away from a round with someone better than you.

PING G430 LST / 9* (dialed to 10.5*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Dark Speed LS / 3w (dialed to 15.5*) / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

I play with a good friend locally that played D1 college golf and is currently a 0.3 index. He just makes a different sound at impact. It's audible. He's fairly long, although not as accurate as you would think off the tee, but he's the best iron player I've ever played with. Anything within 180 yards, and he is on the green. He's phenomenal at chipping when he does miss the green, and his putting, while not the best I've ever played with, is solid. Anything within 8 feet is almost a gimme. Last time we played he hit 14 GIR. Another thing is...no big mishits. He'll say that he caught one a groove low or a groove high, and caught it a little thin or a little fat, but the difference is nominal compared to a mid or high handicapper. His iron play is just unbelievable. I always learn from him when I'm playing. I also play with another scratch golfer in my skins group who is also Mr. Consistent. Fairly long for someone in their late 60's, but a little wild off the tee. Again, great iron play, and his short game is breathtaking. He will frequently watch me hit and say "why would you hit it over there? why would you do that?" Another quote is "you have to learn to live the short grass lifestyle"..."or, you're not a lumberjack are you? quit trying to play in the trees".

LOL..

Titleist TSi3 driver AV Raw White 65g 

Titleist TSi3 3W AV Raw White 65g

Titleist TSi3 3H  AV Raw HY 75g

PXG Gen 5, 0311T 6-AW, 0311P 4-5

Taylormade MG4 54*

Taylormade MG4 58*

Argolf Putter

Vice Pro-Soft balls

Played with a legit scratch last week first for the first time. I can imagine players like him are the same. They are just a different kind of player. Drives the ball long and far, 280 yards is easy off the tee. I was tracking his drives via gps. As others say, the sound of the impact on their driver is different. Great iron player (blade irons). Around the green and putting is amazing. When he two putts, the second putt is almost, always a tap in. He was able to hole some long putts and some crucial ones from 5 to 10 feet. He won the tournament that we played by shooting -3 on the first day and even par second day. His swing is a simple and compact swing, nothing fancy. I am 5'10 and I think he is about 5'5 and he is maybe about early 50s or late 40's and I am 35 and he whooped us really good. 8 handicap is no good for someone playing of scratch. lol

Back in 2005 I had the opportunity to play with a guy named Kirk Hanefeld at the Boston Golf Club through a hookup that my dad had from a vendor at his office. They guy as won on the Champions Tour before and was just coming off of a few New England PGA Championship wins. This was by far the best player I ever played with. He played up at the men's tees with my Dad and I. I don't remember much about the course, but I just remember this older guy sticking every single iron. I believe he ended up shooting 65 or 66 and did not even put that well. Was a hell of a sight to see.

> @2bGood said:

> EKELLY wrote:

>

>

> golow wrote:

>

>

>

> My typical foursome is any three of the following ...

>

>

>

> -My daily partner is scratch (48 years old) ... -2 to +2 when driver cooperates ... 78 otherwise

>

> -50 year old 8 handicap trending down

>

> -Former top 20 world junior ranking turning pro this week ... watched him break course record with 63 .... played with him for countless 64-65's

>

> - Current top 30 world junior ranking just broke the above kids course record with 62 in the dark (last 4 holes we shined flashlights to find and hit balls) .... 5 foot 5" carries ball 300 with ease

>

> - Junior who is 2 cap and consistent (never stops talking)

>

> - Scratch player who has won CSGA(CT) Pub links .... if he ever qualified for US Open I'd bet my kids college tuition money he'd make cut .... he just posts even par in bad conditions.

>

> -My son who didn't beat me the year but will next year ... not long but annoyingly straight.

>

>

>

>

> Come to Florida, there's 3-4 of them at every private club.......lol

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> I don't think it is just Florida, pretty much every true private club with decent a population to draw from has several true scratch players.

plus, they get freebies... one of the best am's in MA is a pretty working class guy and he's a member at 4 pretty elite clubs in MA, no way he paid the full way.

I have had the pleasure of playing with an inspiring mini tour player at the time and to say the game is different does not do it justice. Just imagine being able to call a shot describe what you want the ball to do and be able to execute the shot. The things that stood out for me was the shear confidence in his game, the ability to shoot it close to the hole on many occasions and really does not get down on his game. In the beginning he had a bogey and I thought he would struggle but then he shoots of 3 birdies in a row like it was expected. Great guy to play with and am always in awe when i get a chance to play a round with him. Humbles me real quick about my game and really lets me know to be happy with the skills I have .

Cobra LTD 9* TP6HD
Cobra Big Tour 14.5* TP7HD 

Cobra F6 Baffler 19* Kiyoshi Purple

Wilson Staff Staff Blades 3-PW Recoil I95 stiff 

Wilson PMP 52/56 Raw

Titliest SquareBack LA 135 

Vice Pro+ Lime Green Goodness

I played with someone who was a regular on the tour in Asia. He was the most unbelievable putter that I have ever seen. He didn't hit it overly far, but every shot was so crisp and consistent.

Callaway Rogue ST Triple Diamond S - Ventus Black 7X

Cobra F9 - Ventus Black 8X

Ping Rapture Driving Iron - Ventus Black 9TX

Srixon ZU85 (4) - Tour AD 105X

Srixon ZX7 - (5-AW) - LAGP L Series Stiff

Callaway 2019 PM Grind (54&58) - LAGP L Series WV

Scotty Cameron Studio Select 2010 - LAGP 135

> @DivinDave said:

> Long ago I was playing as a single, and it was slow with a couple of 3 and 4 somes ahead of me. Another single was behind me.

>

>

>

> On about hole 4, me and the guy behind me paired up. I dont remember his name, but he hit the ball like nobody's business.

>

>

>

> Come to find out, he had just left the Nike Tour (for you youngsters, it's now called the web.com) said he wasnt good enough to make a living playing golf. He shot like 5 or 6 under.

>

>

>

> The dude blew my mind and I was in awe of how well he struck the ball, how far he hit it, and how good he was. Ive never played with anyone since then that was even remotely that good, and that was close to 30 years ago.

>

>

>

> I have always wondered that if that guy wasnt good enough to make it, then really, how good are those guys on Tour? I still blows my mind to remember that round and that guy.

Back in ‘90’s when I lived in Jacksonville FL, I would always run up on a pro from one of the tours or a popular instructor while playing alone or at a club fitter. And I’m trying to remember what one guy that played on Hogan tour, that’s what was then, he said, and please keep this in mind due to equipment upgrades and technology. He said the best amateur would be lucky to be worst player on hogan, aka Korn Ferry tour! Even back in 2000 I was at Wendy’s tournament in Maui, and there is a par 5 that just to get off tee you need to clear 200+, and chi chi Rodriguez reach green in two, just amazing talent. Behind every great golfer is a good caddy. Having someone behind you encouraging you and helping you focus also makes a world of difference. Golf is a funny game, weekend golfers will play with guys that they’re not wishing against you but they might not say nice shot or you’re really playing good or anything positive, but that can affect your game, just like if you play with somebody that complements every shot, really likes the way you play, you could turn in some pretty low scores .

> @JerryTBall said:, just like if you play with somebody that complements every shot, really likes the way you play, you could turn in some pretty low scores .

>

That person is going to get shot if he was riding my cart

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind