Titleist AVX- is it just me....

dalehead

In the same boat with a number of other posters on this thread - I loved the AVX when I first started using it late in the season last year. I really felt almost right away that the lower ball flight and lack of "ballooning" off the tee had me hitting more fairways. Who knows, maybe that was in my head, but I believed it and consequently have felt more confident standing on the tee with it in hand.

That being said, as time as gone by I feel like the performance closer to the green has been hurting a little bit. And then, a couple of days ago, I caught one of the dreaded mega-flyers that have been mentioned in this thread a bunch of times. I was hitting an 8-iron from out of the rough and was semi-blocked out by some trees. I told myself to put a nice easy swing on it, and if it came up short then that wouldn't be a bad miss. Well, I caught it flush, and I don't think I've ever seen a shot of mine sail like that in my life. I airmailed the green by at least 20 yards. My 8-iron is my 140-145 club, and I calculated this one flew at least 175 yds on the fly. I must have had a stunned look on my face as I watched it sail into some bushes OB behind the green.

This last incident had me want to go track down this thread to see if anyone who loves the AVX specifically for its low flight off the tee has been able to find another Urethane ball that performs similarly off the tee but gives better close-in performance? It sounds like the '19 ProV1 would be Titleist's next best option, and I haven't given that a try yet but will do so for sure. How about from other manufacturers? What's the ball flight like on this year's Z Star?

Fliers off the fairway ? Never seen that particular unicorn.

Fliers out of the rough ? What ball never does ?

The things we golfers can come up with,,,,,,,,,,,,, LOL

• Like 1

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

"Flyer" is a misnomer. We're not talking the juicy rough flyer where my 110-yard PW comes out like a rocket and goes 140. But with my low clubhead speed, low-spin swing an AVX with spring-faced irons is pretty borderline on spin even from the fairway. In the range of 95mph ball speed and 5,000rpm with a 7-iron even small differences in spin result in several yards difference in distance.

> @clp34vmp said:

> In the same boat with a number of other posters on this thread - I loved the AVX when I first started using it late in the season last year. I really felt almost right away that the lower ball flight and lack of "ballooning" off the tee had me hitting more fairways. Who knows, maybe that was in my head, but I believed it and consequently have felt more confident standing on the tee with it in hand.

>

> That being said, as time as gone by I feel like the performance closer to the green has been hurting a little bit. And then, a couple of days ago, I caught one of the dreaded mega-flyers that have been mentioned in this thread a bunch of times. I was hitting an 8-iron from out of the rough and was semi-blocked out by some trees. I told myself to put a nice easy swing on it, and if it came up short then that wouldn't be a bad miss. Well, I caught it flush, and I don't think I've ever seen a shot of mine sail like that in my life. I airmailed the green by at least 20 yards. My 8-iron is my 140-145 club, and I calculated this one flew at least 175 yds on the fly. I must have had a stunned look on my face as I watched it sail into some bushes OB behind the green.

>

> This last incident had me want to go track down this thread to see if anyone who loves the AVX specifically for its low flight off the tee has been able to find another Urethane ball that performs similarly off the tee but gives better close-in performance? It sounds like the '19 ProV1 would be Titleist's next best option, and I haven't given that a try yet but will do so for sure. How about from other manufacturers? What's the ball flight like on this year's Z Star?

For me I thought xv and avx flew pretty close, haven't hit the z star. Z star xv spins more for me fo sho.

> @"North Butte" said:

> "Flyer" is a misnomer. We're not talking the juicy rough flyer where my 110-yard PW comes out like a rocket and goes 140. But with my low clubhead speed, low-spin swing an AVX with spring-faced irons is pretty borderline on spin even from the fairway. In the range of 95mph ball speed and 5,000rpm with a 7-iron even small differences in spin result in several yards difference in distance.

I've seen it happen with my blades as well. I've always assumed it because I tend to lose a little distance due to the spin I put on the ball, and the low spin nature of the AVX occasionally puts that distance back on, and I airmail the green. That and inconsistent green side spin means I've gone back to the RZN Tour Platinum / Tour B XS as they behave themselves properly.

I actually prefer the Tour Soft over the AVX now. More consistent, better feel, and the fact it's rained for 3 weeks constantly in the UK means they stop pretty quickly round the greens. I will move away when the courses dry out, but for current conditions, the Tour Soft is performing well. Kind of like a modern PTS Wound, which I used to play back in the day when no-one could afford to use a Tour Balata for the 3 holes before it went out of shape.

The Dee Three - Titleist TS4 9.5 deg, EvenFlow White 6.5 65g, A1 Setting

Henrik - Titleist 917 F3 15 deg, Rogue Max 75x, B2 Setting

The Walking Stick - Titleist 818 H2 19 deg, Rogue Max 85x, B2 Setting

The Interloper - TaylorMade P770 3 iron, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5inch +1 deg loft

The Blades - Nike VR Pro 4 - AW, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5 inch

The Sand Iron - TaylorMade MG2 TW-12 Grind, 56 degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Flopper - TaylorMade MG2 TW-11 Grind, 60 Degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Putter - Nike Method 003 from The Oven

"Golf is only called golf as all the other four letter words have been taken"     - Leslie Nielsen

> @nsxguy said:

> Fliers off the fairway ? Never seen that particular unicorn.

>

> Fliers out of the rough ? What ball never does ?

>

> The things we golfers can come up with,,,,,,,,,,,,, LOL

>

>

My thoughts also.

I've played the AVX since it was released and I find it to be great on courses with soft/er greens. It hits and stops. The ProV would spin back, which was problematic on the courses I play (mostly Donald Ross designs with back to front tilt). I'll keep the ProVs around for if/when it every stops raining and the courses firm up, but for now I'm sticking with AVX.

Callaway Epic Max LS 9.0 Fujikura Ventus Black TS 6S
Cobra LtdX 3 wood Fujikura Motore F1 60S
Callaway UW 21 *
Mizuno JPX 919 HMP Nippon N.S.Pro Modus3 Tour 120S - 4-A
Mizuno  54* Nippon N.S.Pro Modus3 Tour 120S

Titleist SM6 58*
LAB DF 2.1  33"

I'll gladly take all extras that anyone does not want anymore. I've got a dozen new ProV1's and two dozen '17 Z-Star's to trade. This ball seems about perfect for me, completely benched all others.

• Like 1

Srixon Zx5 MKII 9.5* Ventus Blue 6 or LA Golf Trono 7 

Tour Edge Exotics E723 15* Ventus Blue 6

Tour Edge Exotics E722 18* Ventus Blue 6

Cobra King Tec 4 Utility MMT 80
PXG 0311P Gen2 5-PW MMT 80

Ping Glide 4.0 50* SS, 54* WS KBS Tour
Callaway MD PM Grind Raw 58* KBS Tour
Toulon Garage Le Mans 
Titleist AVX/ProVI

My son used the avx last year for awhile as he was growing. Driver swing speed 95-102. The ball allowed him to keep up with the bigger kids. He would get low penetrating drives that would roll out a lot. After his swing speed went over 105 switched to prov1 for better spin around the greens.

Our pro is with titleist and is close friends with one of their tour reps. He told us that avx is a distance ball with a urethane cover.

I fell in love with the AVX late last summer. I was pretty much only playing my home course where the greens can be hard and fast but not crazy. I was loving the extra roll out, the extra distance, and what I would call amazing feel. BUT...I started playing some tournies and different courses where the greens were very hard and very fast and the AVX didn't cut it. It was costing me strokes due the not holding and rolling out too much. Too bad I went out and bought 3 dozen of them.

I was on the AVX wagon hard, but have since bailed.

Been playing the AVX since it came out, I have no issues with spin and lack of control, no fliers.

I’m still super happy with it the only reason I would change is for the sake of changing and just to try something different

Driver = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max-D 

3 wood = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max HL

3 Hybrid = Taylormade Stealth Pro
Irons = 4-PW Miura KM 700
Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Sand Wedge = Taylormade MG3 TW 56*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x v’s Chrome Tour 

> @craz-e said:

> Been playing the AVX since it came out, I have no issues with spin and lack of control, no fliers.

> I’m still super happy with it the only reason I would change is for the sake of changing and just to try something different

Agree. I already hit it high and with a little too much spin. I believe avx brings me back into the proper spin window. Probably on the lower end, but the height it comes in at allows it to land softly.

> @HidekiWoods said:

> > @craz-e said:

> > Been playing the AVX since it came out, I have no issues with spin and lack of control, no fliers.

> > I’m still super happy with it the only reason I would change is for the sake of changing and just to try something different

>

> Agree. I already hit it high and with a little too much spin. I believe avx brings me back into the proper spin window. Probably on the lower end, but the height it comes in at allows it to land softly.

I think I'm on the other side of that window. I'm generally not far from too low and too little spin.

When the AVX was working great for me a year and a half or so ago, I was in a mode of basically trying to hit all my irons as high as far as I could. And AVX helped with that, it's got a bit more distance potential than most balls. This year I've dialed back my iron swing from 110% to something more in control. Got tired of having a two-way miss (high floating push-fade on one hole, huge pull-hook on the next) and decided hitting my 8-iron 135 yards and straight beats hitting it 145 with no idea where it will end up.

That's when I fell out of love with AVX. I think my "window" swinging really hard suits the AVX but my normal swing just doesn't get the height or spin necessary.

Today I had one reminder that I was back to Pro V1x. Pretty routine full SW shot to a hole near the front of the green. I guess I forgot that green plays really firm and tilts to the left. The ball was headed right for the flag, hit about 10 feet short and spun back and left leaving me putting from nearly 20 feet. Pretty sure an AVX would have landed 10 feet from the hole and either stopped on the spot or trickled left a foot or two at most.

• 1 month later...

I absolutely love the AVX. I have seen no issues with fliers or lack of spin. I also have been playing in some of the firmest conditions I have seen here in Cincinnati that I can remember. I believe its only rained twice in the last 6 weeks. I have always been a high ball/high spin player so the AVX dials that down a little. I was still spinning 7 iron at 6700 rpms last month when I was fit for my new 919 HMP.

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym TD                 9°   Mitsubishi Kai'li White 60

Callaway Paradym TD 3+         13.5°  Mitsubishi Kai'li White 70

Callaway Apex UW                   19°   Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 75

Callaway Apex 21                      4-PW  True Temper XP 105

Callaway Jaws Raw                   54°S ,60°Z True Temper DG Spinner 

Odyssey Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide

Callaway Chrome Soft

Played a round with AVX today. Man I love this ball. Long irons, short irons, wedges, chipping, putting - everything is world class for a high spin player like me. BUT it’s absolutely horrible for driving, way too soft and is at least 10-15 yards shorter carry than 2019 Pro V1. The total run out (because of lower spin) makes it only about 5 yards difference in total, but there are bunkers on my home course that is absolutely impossible to carry with AVX.

I really hope Titleist address this in a coming release, I love everything else about AVX. Especially the drop and stop on the green compared to 5 meters of uncontrollable backspin with V1.

> @MrShield said:

> Played a round with AVX today. Man I love this ball. Long irons, short irons, wedges, chipping, putting - everything is world class for a high spin player like me. BUT it’s absolutely horrible for driving, way too soft and is at least 10-15 yards shorter carry than 2019 Pro V1. The total run out (because of lower spin) makes it only about 5 yards difference in total, but there are bunkers on my home course that is absolutely impossible to carry with AVX.

>

> I really hope Titleist address this in a coming release, I love everything else about AVX. Especially the drop and stop on the green compared to 5 meters of uncontrollable backspin with V1.

>

>

It will be a completely different ball, but you might like the new Left Dash Pro V1 that's coming out in about 6 weeks. It's been a tour only ball until now. Several players have switched to it on tour since it's release a few years ago. Think of it as a firmer AVX with a Pro V1 urethane cover. It's got more layers than the AVX too.

> @From_Parts_Unknown said:

> > @MrShield said:

> > Played a round with AVX today. Man I love this ball. Long irons, short irons, wedges, chipping, putting - everything is world class for a high spin player like me. BUT it’s absolutely horrible for driving, way too soft and is at least 10-15 yards shorter carry than 2019 Pro V1. The total run out (because of lower spin) makes it only about 5 yards difference in total, but there are bunkers on my home course that is absolutely impossible to carry with AVX.

> >

> > I really hope Titleist address this in a coming release, I love everything else about AVX. Especially the drop and stop on the green compared to 5 meters of uncontrollable backspin with V1.

> >

> >

> It's got more layers than the AVX too.

AVX and Pro V1 both have 3 layers. I doubt the ball you speak of will have more layers because if it does it is not a Pro V1...

Driver: Cobra F9 with HZRDUS SMOKE Stiff
3W: Titleist 917F2 w/Fujikura Speeder Pro Tour Spec 84 Stiff
2I: Srixon Z U65 18 Degree w/Miyazaki Kaula 7s
Irons: Mizuno MP-54 3-PW DG S300 
Wedge: Vokey TVD 56 K-Grind
Wedge: Vokey SM6 60-12 K-Grind 
Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

> @From_Parts_Unknown said:

> > @MrShield said:

> > Played a round with AVX today. Man I love this ball. Long irons, short irons, wedges, chipping, putting - everything is world class for a high spin player like me. BUT it’s absolutely horrible for driving, way too soft and is at least 10-15 yards shorter carry than 2019 Pro V1. The total run out (because of lower spin) makes it only about 5 yards difference in total, but there are bunkers on my home course that is absolutely impossible to carry with AVX.

> >

> > I really hope Titleist address this in a coming release, I love everything else about AVX. Especially the drop and stop on the green compared to 5 meters of uncontrollable backspin with V1.

> >

> >

> It will be a completely different ball, but you might like the new Left Dash Pro V1 that's coming out in about 6 weeks. It's been a tour only ball until now. Several players have switched to it on tour since it's release a few years ago. Think of it as a firmer AVX with a Pro V1 urethane cover. It's got more layers than the AVX too.

Sounds too good to be true! :smile:

> @MrShield said:

> > @From_Parts_Unknown said:

> > > @MrShield said:

> > > Played a round with AVX today. Man I love this ball. Long irons, short irons, wedges, chipping, putting - everything is world class for a high spin player like me. BUT it’s absolutely horrible for driving, way too soft and is at least 10-15 yards shorter carry than 2019 Pro V1. The total run out (because of lower spin) makes it only about 5 yards difference in total, but there are bunkers on my home course that is absolutely impossible to carry with AVX.

> > >

> > > I really hope Titleist address this in a coming release, I love everything else about AVX. Especially the drop and stop on the green compared to 5 meters of uncontrollable backspin with V1.

> > >

> > >

> > It will be a completely different ball, but you might like the new Left Dash Pro V1 that's coming out in about 6 weeks. It's been a tour only ball until now. Several players have switched to it on tour since it's release a few years ago. Think of it as a firmer AVX with a Pro V1 urethane cover. It's got more layers than the AVX too.

>

> Sounds too good to be true! :smile:

What am I missing? AVX is urethane already. Sincerely hope they don't change it. Love that ball.

TM Stealth Plus 10.5 Ventus TR Velocore Red 5

Ping G425 Max 5 FW 17.5 Ventus Velocore Red 7

Srixon ZX MKII 3UT MMT 95

Callaway X Forged CB 21' 4-PW Modus 120

Yururi Tataki 52.5, 56.5 and 60.5 DG S200
Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips
Kirkland Performance+ Ball

> @JD3 said:

> > @MrShield said:

> > > @From_Parts_Unknown said:

> > > > @MrShield said:

> > > > Played a round with AVX today. Man I love this ball. Long irons, short irons, wedges, chipping, putting - everything is world class for a high spin player like me. BUT it’s absolutely horrible for driving, way too soft and is at least 10-15 yards shorter carry than 2019 Pro V1. The total run out (because of lower spin) makes it only about 5 yards difference in total, but there are bunkers on my home course that is absolutely impossible to carry with AVX.

> > > >

> > > > I really hope Titleist address this in a coming release, I love everything else about AVX. Especially the drop and stop on the green compared to 5 meters of uncontrollable backspin with V1.

> > > >

> > > >

> > > It will be a completely different ball, but you might like the new Left Dash Pro V1 that's coming out in about 6 weeks. It's been a tour only ball until now. Several players have switched to it on tour since it's release a few years ago. Think of it as a firmer AVX with a Pro V1 urethane cover. It's got more layers than the AVX too.

> >

> > Sounds too good to be true! :smile:

>

> What am I missing? AVX is urethane already. Sincerely hope they don't change it. Love that ball.

AVX has a different urethane than the Pro V1 models, including the tour only balls.

> @Llortamaisey said:

> > @JD3 said:

> > > @MrShield said:

> > > > @From_Parts_Unknown said:

> > > > > @MrShield said:

> > > > > Played a round with AVX today. Man I love this ball. Long irons, short irons, wedges, chipping, putting - everything is world class for a high spin player like me. BUT it’s absolutely horrible for driving, way too soft and is at least 10-15 yards shorter carry than 2019 Pro V1. The total run out (because of lower spin) makes it only about 5 yards difference in total, but there are bunkers on my home course that is absolutely impossible to carry with AVX.

> > > > >

> > > > > I really hope Titleist address this in a coming release, I love everything else about AVX. Especially the drop and stop on the green compared to 5 meters of uncontrollable backspin with V1.

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > It will be a completely different ball, but you might like the new Left Dash Pro V1 that's coming out in about 6 weeks. It's been a tour only ball until now. Several players have switched to it on tour since it's release a few years ago. Think of it as a firmer AVX with a Pro V1 urethane cover. It's got more layers than the AVX too.

> > >

> > > Sounds too good to be true! :smile:

> >

> > What am I missing? AVX is urethane already. Sincerely hope they don't change it. Love that ball.

>

> AVX has a different urethane than the Pro V1 models, including the tour only balls.

I found this blurb:

It (AVX) is still a three piece ball, but unlike most other soft balls in the market it uses a similar cast urethane cover to the Pro V1 called GRN41. **Basically the ingredients are the same but the formulation is _slightly_ different.**

• Like 1

Driver: Cobra F9 with HZRDUS SMOKE Stiff
3W: Titleist 917F2 w/Fujikura Speeder Pro Tour Spec 84 Stiff
2I: Srixon Z U65 18 Degree w/Miyazaki Kaula 7s
Irons: Mizuno MP-54 3-PW DG S300 
Wedge: Vokey TVD 56 K-Grind
Wedge: Vokey SM6 60-12 K-Grind 
Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

I just posted similar in a different thread.

Low cap high swing speed guy who alternated AVX and Pro V1 all week. Both are excellent. I play yellow so love having some new options on the 'premium' end.

I do love this ball. Its long, soft and has just enough spin around the green to make it solid. I find it roughly a club longer tee to green. Just my opinion. Maybe it suits my swing the best who knows.

I really, really like not having to take a bunch more clubs into a strong wind. Rock solid ball I would not hesitate to play any day of the week.

• Like 2

Low cap high swing guy who produces alot of spin, been playing the AVX for a while now. I agree with OP about the advertising, also hard to justify the price for a ball that for me and my swing is very similar to the Pro V1. Recently though I have switched over to the Mizuno RB Tour ball and have found it to be pretty amazing as well. Only issue I have with it is wedges tear it up and its basically done after 9 holes.

Driver-Titleist TS3 9.5* w/Project X Evenflow White 65 X-Stiff
3W-Titleist TS3 15.75* w/Project X Evenflow white 65 X-Stiff
Mizuno MMC Fli-Hi 3 iron w/KBS C-Taper 130X (bent to 17.5*)
4-PW Mizuno MP-18 MBw/KBS C-Taper 130X
Mizuno T7 52/09 w/KBS C-Taper 130X soft stepped
Mizuno T7 56/10 w/KBS C-Taper 130X soft stepped
Bridgestone Tour B X