Birdies & HC's

Under2hours

Was going to start a thread and complain, but then saw https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1787959/please-send-me-birdie-vibes#latest and figured I should not be grousing.

HC is going down & under 11. I am consistent and not many blow-up holes (yes lax with gimmes) and keep it pretty straight.

However when I read about others and all their birdies and people with 15 HC's saying they usually have 1-2 birdies a round and occasional 3-4 days I wonder what's wrong with me (or playing partners who are 5-11 HC's and a good day is 4 amongst our foursome).

The other day I had a 1' tap in, which probably was my first in 5 rounds. Prior I actually made a bomb 25' putt and maybe only 1-2 looks/round inside 20'.

I'm happy with my golf game as I am on or near the hole in reg most holes, however birdies are few & far between compared to what I read here and elsewhere from players at the same level (HC).

i average around 4 birdies a round, and an eagle every 3-4 rounds. playing off a +1.3 atm.

PING G430 LST / 9* (dialed to 10.5*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Dark Speed LS / 3w (dialed to 15.5*) / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

I'm a 7.2 index, and I can go several rounds with no birdies. A good birdie day for me would be 2-3 birds, but it's feast or famine. I mostly seem to put up pars to keep my scores low. If I start bogeying, I can't really rely on the idea that I'll get a lot of birds to make up for it.

I also haven't had an eagle in like 4 years now.

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2

Callaway Maverik 3W
TaylorMade RocketBallz Stage 2 3H

Callaway Apex '14 3-iron
Callaway Apex Black '22 irons 5-AW
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Callaway Jaws (60, 54)

I'm now a 3.1 index, and I believe I average somewhere between 1 and 2 birdies per round. I definitely have days with none, and very occasionally will make as many as 4. But take that with a grain of salt, I don't keep statistics, so I'm guessing a little.

My bet is that the 15s you mention, the ones who claim to make 1-2 birdies every round, they're not keeping stats either, and are fooling themselves.

You might want to look at this study published by that other golf website, in cooperation with the Grint.

https://mygolfspy.com/study-overall-golfer-performance-by-handicap/

This shows that 11-15 handicaps generally average about 1 birdie for 2 rounds of golf. Sure, some of these guys may average 1 per round, but that's a rarity. Its only when you get in the very low to scratch group that they average 2 or more per round.

edit...BUGGER, I can't link to that other website, but I'm sure you can figure it out.

> @Ferguson said:

> The 15 HC are not being completely honest, just a guess.

Either that or they're remember that time last year they had 3 birdies one day, 2 the next and 3 again a couple weeks later. So they say, "I make 2-3 birdies a round" ignoring the dozens of other rounds where they made nothing.

I recently played with an 8 hcp friend of mine who made 5 in a round (4 on the front nine alone). Ended up shooting 80 anyway with a bunch doubles (including 3 in a row at one point). He probably averages one per round, maybe, playing off 8.

I've never met a 15 hcp who AVERAGES more than a birdie a round in the long. Not even close.

People definitely inflate their real stats.

I'm a 7.7 handicap and my golf spreadsheet says I've played 777 holes this year amongst which I've recorded 15 birdies.

That averages to one in 3 rounds. I know I play a pretty tough course (73.7 / 138) but seriously, if someone is managing to get 1 every couple rounds it's pretty darn good. Put me on an easy course and I'm sure I'd give myself a bunch more looks and my average rate would improve.

There are lots of factors though. The greens are an important one. Last week I recall I missed a tricky little 3-footer for birdie. Unfortunately, where I play, 3-footers are never tap-ins. On some greens they seem to be far easier.

TSR3 (9o) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2+ (14.5o 3w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

TSR2 (21o 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-Gw) (Nippon Modus3)

SM9 56-F / 60-S
Maltby PTM-5CS

Hot-cold...I'm a 17 hcp. I can go 10+ rounds without any birdies, and then have one round where I shoot 41-39 and have 3 in the same round. If you average it out. I probably have one birdie every 4-5 rounds....But, sometimes they come in bunches...These 15 caps claiming this are probably just thinking of their best days. Not their average or below average rounds.

Titleist TSi3 driver AV Raw White 65g 

Titleist TSi3 3W AV Raw White 65g

Titleist TSi3 3H  AV Raw HY 75g

PXG Gen 5, 0311T 6-AW, 0311P 4-5

Taylormade MG4 54*

Taylormade MG4 58*

Argolf Putter

Vice Pro-Soft balls

> @MelloYello said:

> People definitely inflate their real stats.

>

> I'm a 7.7 handicap and my golf spreadsheet says I've played 777 holes this year amongst which I've recorded 15 birdies.

>

> That averages to one in 3 rounds. I know I play a pretty tough course (73.7 / 138) but seriously, if someone is managing to get 1 every couple rounds it's pretty darn good. Put me on an easy course and I'm sure I'd give myself a bunch more looks and my average rate would improve.

>

> There are lots of factors though. The greens are an important one. Last week I recall I missed a tricky little 3-footer for birdie. Unfortunately, where I play, 3-footers are never tap-ins. On some greens they seem to be far easier.

I can move up a set of tees and average nearly a birdie a round. But those tees are short enough my average approach shot club is somewhere between 8-iron and 9-iron. I'm a pretty awful golfer but one thing I can do is hit my PW/8-iron/9-iron pretty good from the fairway.

From my normal tees that average approach shot is 25 yards longer and, more importantly, my normal driving distance brings all sorts of fairway bunkers and other trouble into play off the tee. Birdies are hard earned.

Usually a 4cap (a little lower now). I tend to make 2-4 birdies most rounds rare that I have none and rare I would have more than 4. I can reach 3/4 of the par fives on my home course which helps. Also we have a two short par 4's that I can hit iron off the tee and a controlled wedge so before I tee it up I likely have 3 good birdie holes (depends on pin placement) . We also have a couple par 4's that if the wind is my face, I barely can reach in two and a par is a good score along with some tough par 3's.

The course gives up some birdies, but forces a few bogies for me. Style of play and type of course have lots to do with it.

I play with a few low cappers, who don't make many birdies, but they are never in trouble and rarely bring bogie into play, where and other guys are more wild in their scoring.

Playing at 19.2 right now, had 3 birdies the last round I played. Went -2 on the final 5 holes. Had 1 the round before that, too. Didn't have any in the 6 or 7 rounds before these 2. Maybe I'm getting better, or maybe they're just streaky either way I like making them lol. Even when I play with better players 10-12HC, they might make 1 a round, or none. I can say that in the last year since I've returned to golf, I've probably played 25 rounds, the 3 I made last week is the most I've ever made in a round, and I've never played with anyone who has made more than 2 while I've been with them.

4 and trending down. Average 4 a round. My home course I can reach 3 of 4 par 5s with 5 iron or less...one can be reached by PW on perfect drives. All par 4s are 48* or less approach shots barring a horrible drive.

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

> @Under2hours said:

> Was going to start a thread and complain, but then saw https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1787959/please-send-me-birdie-vibes#latest and figured I should not be grousing.

> HC is going down & under 11. I am consistent and not many blow-up holes (yes lax with gimmes) and keep it pretty straight.

>

> However when I read about others and all their birdies and people with 15 HC's saying they usually have 1-2 birdies a round and occasional 3-4 days I wonder what's wrong with me (or playing partners who are 5-11 HC's and a good day is 4 amongst our foursome).

>

> The other day I had a 1' tap in, which probably was my first in 5 rounds. Prior I actually made a bomb 25' putt and maybe only 1-2 looks/round inside 20'.

>

> I'm happy with my golf game as I am on or near the hole in reg most holes, however birdies are few & far between compared to what I read here and elsewhere from players at the same level (HC).

I've ranged between a 9 and my low of 6.6 (this year) over the last 4 years. Up until this season, which includes a clinic last summer and a few online lessons with Monte, I rarely had more than 1 or 2 birdie putts in a round and didn't make many at all. I was probably a 2 handicap with my short game but more like a 12 with my full swing. I didn't hit many GIRs and just got up and down a lot to get my handicap that low. Now I've finally been improving my swing flaws and hitting more greens and getting a few more looks at birdies. Last night in my 9 hole league I hit 6/9 greens and of those 4 of the birdie putts were inside 15 feet. Didn't make any of them but had a lot of looks!

----> See my current WITB
Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9°, Fujikura VENTUS Red 6 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 15° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 18° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 3 Fli-Hi | 4-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

Depends a lot on the course you're playing too.

I'm about a 12 index, and average (this year) 1.1 birdies/18 holes on the course I play the most. It's a tough course and there are a good number of holes where birdie is just not going to happen.

There's also a nine hole course next door that I average 1.0 birdie per _9_ holes - almost double the other rate. But there are four holes out of the nine that are PW or less for an approach, and I almost always convert one of them.

Rating / slope evens it out though - my differentials on both courses are almost identical.

I once caught a fish...THIS BIG!

I don’t keep an official handicap but by plugging my scores and course ratings into an online calculator I play to an 8 or so.

It’s almost September and I’ve played 126 holes this year. Only 4 birdies and one of those was a chip-in. My putting has been REALLY bad...

I would also say that the relative toughness of whatever par 5s you play really matters... Gateway National near STL has really hard par 5s. Far Oaks near STL has much easier par 5s even though the ratings and lengths of each course are roughly similar.

I'm currently a 13.7 HDCP and the Grint tells me I have 9 birdies in my 23 rounds this year. So, a birdie every 2-3 rounds sounds right for me. 0 eagles, though my birdie last week was literally one inch from an eagle (would have been my first... arggh).

I also have birdies in my last 2 rounds after going 6 straight without. Before that, I had birdies in 2 out of 3 rounds. So there is definitely an element of streakiness.

My playing partner is probably about a 15 HDCP and has two eagles this year (a hole in one and a 2 on a par 4). He probably has less birdies per round than I do, though. Golf is weird.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5 deg.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 3L

Srixon ZX 3 hybrid

Ping S55 irons

Ping Glide 3.0 54 & 60 deg.

Bettinardi BB-1W

> @DavePelz4 said:

> > @Ferguson said:

> > The 15 HC are not being completely honest, just a guess.

> >

> >

>

> Some of us are. 28 rounds this year which is sad but 36 birdies. At least 3x that number in doubles or higher. That's per Arccos BTW.

The best way to be...............honest with thyself and honest with thy golf.

39 rounds in 2019. I average 1.3 bird per round.

7.9 HC

I finish all my putts, too.

The 15 HCs that drive it 290 and make a ton of birdies are not 15 HCs.

That much is true.

> @Tepop84 said:

> +.2 currently and swing by swing app says I average 3 birdies a round. I did just set my personal best w 9 birdies in a round Sunday.

Nice round!

A few years ago I played with a guy at my club who is like a 4-5 handicap. Never realized that back in the day (late-1970's maybe?) he was a hot-shot college golfer playing off a +3 or something. He birdied three holes in a row and I was excited for him, I asked if he'd ever done that before.

He looked at me kind of funny and said he made 7 in a row at a college tournament once. Then he said, "It stinks getting old. I'm happy making three in a round now".

> @raynorfan1 said:

> Depends a lot on the course you're playing too.

>

> I'm about a 12 index, and average (this year) 1.1 birdies/18 holes on the course I play the most. It's a tough course and there are a good number of holes where birdie is just not going to happen.

>

> There's also a nine hole course next door that I average 1.0 birdie per _9_ holes - almost double the other rate. But there are four holes out of the nine that are PW or less for an approach, and I almost always convert one of them.

>

> Rating / slope evens it out though - my differentials on both courses are almost identical.

This^

Handicap is only a portion of the birdie equation. The course is a big portion as well as player type (Steady Eddie vs. Wild Bill). I am currently +0.5 and get maybe 2 birdies a round on average. This is somewhat low per index, but I cannot really reach any of the par 5s in two at my home course on a regular basis (length is not the issue, but rather hazards and forced layups). No free birdies there. I also tend towards being a steady player with few bogies, but fewer birdies as well because of risk aversion.

Looking at my last 10 rounds I have 23 birdies and an eagle and am currently a 8.5 Handicap according to GRINT. Granted I am on a hot streak, since I have started using GRINT (2016) I have posted 60 rounds with only 9 in the 70's. 6 of those are from this season with 4 of my last 5 rounds played being sub 80.

But the thing is I still make about the same number of bogeys or worse as previous years when I used to typically shoot 80-83. The significant mover of my score is that I have been making birdies way more consistently. My Previous 10 rounds I only made 8 birdies total.

Recent->Earlier

Birdies: 4 4 2 2 1 2 0 1 5 2

Eagle: 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0

Double: 3 1 2 2 1 3 2 1 2 1

Triple: 0 1 0 0 0 0 2 1 1 1

Score: 77 80 77 77 79 82 88 81 78 82

I'm a 13 HC and I luck into birdies more than anything. I'll grab one or two every couple rounds, but seldom am I aiming for them moreso than my misses are getting near the hole. Being in the 80-90 camp, I'm just trying to stay out of trouble for the most part. If that results in a birdie rather than the normal par or bogey, I'm a happy man.

• Adams Speedline VST 10.5*
  • Adams Speedline VST 15*
  • Callaway Mavrik 4i-AW
  • Titleist Vokey SM5 52*/10
  • Adams Tom Watson 56*/12
  • Adams Tom Watson 60*/08
  • Odyssey White Hot Pro #1

> @Tepop84 said:

> +.2 currently and swing by swing app says I average 3 birdies a round. I did just set my personal best w 9 birdies in a round Sunday.

That's an amazing round! I hope you were collecting bets! Well done.

• Adams Speedline VST 10.5*
  • Adams Speedline VST 15*
  • Callaway Mavrik 4i-AW
  • Titleist Vokey SM5 52*/10
  • Adams Tom Watson 56*/12
  • Adams Tom Watson 60*/08
  • Odyssey White Hot Pro #1