Single etiquette - playing through

As you can appreciate - sometimes I don't have all day to play. If I have to fit my round in around a schedule I go out and try to get around by a certain time. Recently I played at off-peak time. I caught a 3-ball on the back nine and they didn't let me through for the entire round - despite me playing a 2.20 pace from the first tee (no one was in front of me - it was really extremely off-peak - I eventually caught the 3-ball back nine, so no one had to let me through for me to play this fast). I caught them on the 13th, they were playing at 5 hour pace and that's not an exaggeration. After the 15th I decided to play right on them, because I got pissed they didn't let me through - which I found it extremely rude and a deliberate wasting of my time - They weren't hitting their drivers as far as my 9 iron. I hit a 315 yard driver on one hole (14th) after getting bored waiting (when they were out of range - and they turned back and saw it from the green). It's a club I usually keep in the bag as I'm very inconsistent with it - but I nailed it up there in the situation. After that I decided to push them and annoy them - since they were deliberately being smart not letting me through with an empty course in front. I played a par 5 as a 3 shot hole and got within 50 yards of them and they didn't acknowledge me, which I considering a very high level of rudeness. They were so slow I had to do some work and home related emails on the course to save my time later in the day at that stage (they took almost 15 minutes to clear the green from that point - looking for a ball on the same hole for over 5 minutes). The round ended up taking about an hour longer than I had expected at the turn, maybe more. If I'd know I'd have gone back in after 9.

I often play in a 2-ball and we have absolutely no issues letting singles through if they are playing fast if I'm alone or playing in a 2-ball.

Thoughts?

I'm going to contact the club at some point about this , as it isn't clear in the club rules and member handbook how much of a complaint I have about this. I just wondered thoughts here about this specific case.

Golf courses cater to groups, not singles.

Should they have let you through, probably. But you're likely leaving out the hands on the hips and head shakes within sight of them ... that they certainly saw. When you go to a course as a single, the red sea doesn't part and make way for your round. Bounce around the course if that's how you need to fit your time window.

> @cwglum said:

> Golf courses cater to groups, not singles.

>

> Should they have let you through, probably. But you're likely leaving out the hands on the hips and head shakes within sight of them ... that they certainly saw. When you go to a course as a single, the red sea doesn't part and make way for your round. Bounce around the course if that's how you need to fit your time window.

>

>

>

>

I don't do stuff like hands on hip or shake my head. I took the time waiting to eat some food and drink to keep hydrated, as well as the emails, in the end - I didn't have time for pedantic behaviours. I make sure I don't visually look annoyed to increase my chances of getting let through. I think you're missing the point, I was playing over twice as fast with just 1 ball. If they let me through they would have wasted 3 minutes max, and seemed they played slower to hold me up. Letting me through would have been better for their mental clarity and stress too. This isn't about the red sea parting at all. It's one group on an empty course. I don't expect to be let through on a busy course, I don't play peak times as a single. I expect a 3-ball to let me through with nothing in front even if I'm playing on Augusta or Pebble Beach Links.

> @Warrior42111 said:

> If there's no one in front of them, as you said, then yes they're being rude and should have let you through.

Certainly how I feel about the matter.

> @HonestPlayer said:

> > @CaseyC said:

> > skip a hole

>

> I would, but it's a walking course - I and the 3-ball were walking. The way the back nine is set up it's impossible without walking right by them and the hole in full. Front nine it's possible in multiple spots, shame they didn't set up the back nine similar.

...Then you could have walked up and through them while they were on the green and said something like, "Hey guys, the course is open in front of you, so I'm going to go ahead of you." There's really nothing for them to say at that point.

> @HonestPlayer said:

> They weren't hitting their drivers as far as my 9 iron. I hit a 315 yard driver on one hole (14th) after getting bored waiting (when they were out of range - and they turned back and saw it from the green).

>After that I decided to push them and annoy them -

> Thoughts?

>

> I'm going to contact the club at some point about this , as it isn't clear in the club rules and member handbook how much of a complaint I have about this. I just wondered thoughts here about this specific case.

My thoughts? I don't care how far you hit it, that makes absolutely no difference. And you were purposely being rude, by your own admission. That said, they should have invited you to play through.

As for the club's policy, I doubt that the club would contradict what is written in the Rules of Golf:

>Your pace of play is likely to affect how long it will take other players to play their rounds, including both those in your group and those in following groups. You are encouraged to allow faster groups to play through.

I'm in agreement with the OP, this is extremely rude behavior by the group ahead of him. I often play a single myself and very rarely has a group not let me through, when they're able to. Now I understand sometimes that is not possible, for instance, I went out as a single last Saturday afternoon around 4:00 thinking the course was going to be empty - I was wrong. Standing on the putting green (next to #1 tee) there was a group of 4 on the tee, a group of 2 in front of them, then two more groups of 2 in front of them. The 4-some in front of me did not offer to let me tee off first, that was somewhat annoying but I kind of understand seeing the course not open in front of them. I ended up pairing up with another single who left after #9 anyways.

The way the OP is describing his experience is completely different than mine, however. By the sounds of it, he's at a private club so the fact that other members wouldn't let him play through on an empty course is ridiculous. I can understand at a public course but at a private spot you'd likely run into those members again.

Driver - Callaway Epic Max LS 9.0
3 wood - Cobra F8
Irons 3-PW - Mizuno MP54
Wedges - Vokey SM5 50°, Cleveland Zipcore 54°, Cleveland Zipcore 58°
Putter - Odyssey Stroke Lab 3

> @KMeloney said:

> > @HonestPlayer said:

> > > @CaseyC said:

> > > skip a hole

> >

> > I would, but it's a walking course - I and the 3-ball were walking. The way the back nine is set up it's impossible without walking right by them and the hole in full. Front nine it's possible in multiple spots, shame they didn't set up the back nine similar.

>

> ...Then you could have walked up and through them while they were on the green and said something like, "Hey guys, the course is open in front of you, so I'm going to go ahead of you." There's really nothing for them to say at that point.

I agree, but skipping a hole kinda ruins my score and learning of the course. Maybe I'll take you're advice next time and do a predicted score for the hole, I do agree it's reasonable advice. They could get mad - but in a way who cares as they are being rude to me not letting me by.

> @davep043 said:

> > @HonestPlayer said:

> > They weren't hitting their drivers as far as my 9 iron. I hit a 315 yard driver on one hole (14th) after getting bored waiting (when they were out of range - and they turned back and saw it from the green).

> >After that I decided to push them and annoy them -

>

> > Thoughts?

> >

> > I'm going to contact the club at some point about this , as it isn't clear in the club rules and member handbook how much of a complaint I have about this. I just wondered thoughts here about this specific case.

>

> My thoughts? I don't care how far you hit it, that makes absolutely no difference. And you were purposely being rude, by your own admission. That said, they should have invited you to play through.

> As for the club's policy, I doubt that the club would contradict what is written in the Rules of Golf:

> >Your pace of play is likely to affect how long it will take other players to play their rounds, including both those in your group and those in following groups. You are encouraged to allow faster groups to play through.

The reason it matters is speed of play. They hit the ball shorter and more wayward than me - and slower to address the ball on every shot including more practice swings. That was more the point I was trying to make than talk about my distance - 2 of them took driver on a 160 yard par 3, that's how short they were off the tee. I'd hope so (that the club wouldn't contradict the Rules of Golf that you kindly quoted here)

> @HonestPlayer said:

> > @KMeloney said:

> > > @HonestPlayer said:

> > > > @CaseyC said:

> > > > skip a hole

> > >

> > > I would, but it's a walking course - I and the 3-ball were walking. The way the back nine is set up it's impossible without walking right by them and the hole in full. Front nine it's possible in multiple spots, shame they didn't set up the back nine similar.

> >

> > ...Then you could have walked up and through them while they were on the green and said something like, "Hey guys, the course is open in front of you, so I'm going to go ahead of you." There's really nothing for them to say at that point.

>

> I agree, but skipping a hole kinda ruins my score and learning of the course. Maybe I'll take you're advice next time and do a predicted score for the hole, I do agree it's reasonable advice. They could get mad - but in a way who cares as they are being rude to me not letting me by.

The best thing you can do for "learning" in that situation is learn to take your time and not get all worked up about slow play. That's a far more valuable skill than learning to play through hurriedly and probably duffing a couple shots in the process.

Bottom line, you're better off to learn now that no threesome you tee off behind nor any club you play at is going to give a darn about your wanting to play in 2 hours, 20 minutes.

I remember in the old days when a single had no standing on the course. If we saw one wanting to get through - we would just say "get some friends". I am only half joking, as the groups were out mainly playing matches, the single was only practicing so they were not a priority (and they knew it).

Fast froward to today. Singles to do have standing in the rules of golf and if you have a gap you should let them through (and they play with some urgency to get through).

If I play as a single it is only to practice, I will loop the same hole a few times, hit few shots out of bunkers etc. You can't post your score anyway so I take advantage of the time I have out there.

> @jdl said:

> Did you ask them if you could go through? I've found a lot of people are really just completely clueless about allowing people to go through, it just doesn't register that it's something they should do. Maybe if you asked the light bulb would have gone on for them....?

It would have been more shouting, they insisted on keeping their backs to me if I looked at them. I never managed eye contact with any of the group - strange bunch.

> @HonestPlayer said:

> > @KMeloney said:

> > > > @CaseyC said:

> > > > skip a hole

> > >

> > > I would, but it's a walking course - I and the 3-ball were walking. The way the back nine is set up it's impossible without walking right by them and the hole in full. Front nine it's possible in multiple spots, shame they didn't set up the back nine similar.

> >

> > ...Then you could have walked up and through them while they were on the green and said something like, "Hey guys, the course is open in front of you, so I'm going to go ahead of you." There's really nothing for them to say at that point.

>

> I agree, but skipping a hole kinda ruins my score and learning of the course. Maybe I'll take you're advice next time and do a predicted score for the hole, I do agree it's reasonable advice. They could get mad - but in a way who cares as they are being rude to me not letting me by.

Understood. You simply have to weigh your options at that point. Would you rather skip a hole, apply your index to that hole, and stay focused and get done quicker? Or, would you rather be annoyed and have the round take an hour longer, but play all 18 holes?

And yes, they could get mad. But that would be the perfect opportunity for you to calmly explain to them that it's you who should be mad about the fact that they didn't extend the courtesy of asking you through with an open course ahead.

Look like you’re ready to play at all times. Standing next to your ball, swinging a club. If you don’t look ready, how are they supposed to know to let you through? Plenty of singles on the course are there just to practice. Not to set a speed record. They play the hole and practice around the green for 10-15 minutes after, then play the next. There are plenty of singles, I’ve seen, that are content to stay in position on an empty course just to practice. Singles that are going for speed are usually in a cart.

Did you ever ask to play through? It doesn’t sound like you did. So they are just to assume you want to play through. Mind readers I guess. When I look back and a guy is playing on his phone or eating a sandwich, it doesn’t look like a guy waiting on us to play through.

Lastly, the vast majority of golfers don’t care about anyone behind them. This is including most of my friends and club members. I play with guys that won’t let anyone through. I don’t get it. We were a 5-some once and a single in a cart was behind us. They couldn’t care at all. I finally waved him up against their wishes. Then they were pissed at me. The single in a cart slowed our round down a whopping 45 seconds total.

Some people are like that. Most people are like that from my experience. You’ve got to yell up there and ask to play through. If they say no, then you have your answer and know, First, they are complete tools, and second, you either have to be content to play behind and practice or skip ahead. A “hostile takeover” of you will. I’ve done that plenty when I was younger.

> @HonestPlayer said:

> > @jdl said:

> > "more shouting"? Sounds like there's more to this story.

>

> If someone is 50 yards away with their back to you - it's windy. Yes you need to basically shout to communicate....

Why couldn't you walk up to them to talk to them? 50 yards up to talk to them and 50 yards back isn't a big deal

> @Augster said:

> Look like you’re ready to play at all times. Standing next to your ball, swinging a club. If you don’t look ready, how are they supposed to know to let you through? Plenty of singles on the course are there just to practice. Not to set a speed record. They play the hole and practice around the green for 10-15 minutes after, then play the next. There are plenty of singles, I’ve seen, that are content to stay in position on an empty course just to practice. Singles that are going for speed are usually in a cart.

>

> Did you ever ask to play through? It doesn’t sound like you did. So they are just to assume you want to play through. Mind readers I guess. When I look back and a guy is playing on his phone or eating a sandwich, it doesn’t look like a guy waiting on us to play through.

>

> Lastly, the vast majority of golfers don’t care about anyone behind them. This is including most of my friends and club members. I play with guys that won’t let anyone through. I don’t get it. We were a 5-some once and a single in a cart was behind us. They couldn’t care at all. I finally waved him up against their wishes. Then they were pissed at me. The single in a cart slowed our round down a whopping 45 seconds total.

>

> Some people are like that. Most people are like that from my experience. You’ve got to yell up there and ask to play through. If they say no, then you have your answer and know, First, they are complete tools, and second, you either have to be content to play behind and practice or skip ahead. A “hostile takeover” of you will. I’ve done that plenty when I was younger.

I appreciate all your points. Interesting story about your friends, I'm not surprised - when I started out I used to play in 4-balls with carts . Me and my dad used to be happy to let fast groups through - we would get matched with 2s often to form a 4 ball on carts , anyone else we played with would be furious even if we wanted to just let a single through on a cart. Hostile takeover, I like that - funny. I certainly wouldn't be horrible or rude about it, but it makes sense to force the issue in future (if this situation presents itself again).

> @CaseyC said:

> > @HonestPlayer said:

> > > @jdl said:

> > > "more shouting"? Sounds like there's more to this story.

> >

> > If someone is 50 yards away with their back to you - it's windy. Yes you need to basically shout to communicate....

>

> Why couldn't you walk up to them to talk to them? 50 yards up to talk to them and 50 yards back isn't a big deal

Well, they looked the aggressive and nervous type - old guys with a bad game and bad attitude. I'd rather not interfere with them and their game. I'm pretty laid back normally. I got a little pissed at first, but me in a pissed state is more laid back than the average person in a chilled out state if you get my drift. I'm not going to walk into a confrontation with dinosaur type characters if I can help it. I'll skip next time instead of risking them losing it. More laid back group would have called me through way before that point. > @DavePelz4 said:

> "Single Golfers Matter."

>

> Tee shirts for sale at $19.99/each.

When you play and have played in 1-ball, 2-ball , 3 -ball and 4-ball walking and riding several or more times at a course you get a great idea of the etiquette on a course and experience the course from more perspectives. Singles matter, because a group is just singles together in reality - especially so if it's a member that's paid in full. I know you attempted to troll me with humour. The more I play and better I get (and want to be) the more I need to go out as a single - so I'm pretty new to playing anywhere as a single, it certainly shows you who is rude and who isn't on the course more clearly. I've played the most over my career as a 2-ball, then 4-ball, then 1-ball, then 3-ball so I can see this from all angles - and to be honest I think it's laughable people are scared of letting a single through as if it offends their masculinity and manhood or something.

> @Augster said:

> Lastly, the vast majority of golfers don’t care about anyone behind them. This is including most of my friends and club members. I play with guys that won’t let anyone through. I don’t get it. We were a 5-some once and a single in a cart was behind us. They couldn’t care at all. I finally waved him up against their wishes. Then they were pissed at me. The single in a cart slowed our round down a whopping 45 seconds total.

I think I've posted this story before, but I was once a guest in a foursome at a top 100-150 club where we were one of the few groups on the course. We were playing for fairly serious money, and the other two guests (who were members at another club my host belonged to) were PGA Tour-slow as a result, though the member was no speed demon either. A walking single catches us maybe around 7 or 8 and while he was not standing with his hands on his hips, it was evident that he would have appreciated being let through since we probably had at least 6 or 7 open holes ahead of us. On one hole, two of the four people in my group are looking for a lost ball in some high weeds next to the green, the single is waiting in the fairway about 100 yards out, so I wave him up. He plays through quickly and thanks me profusely. The member and the one of the other guests were absolutely livid that I let this single play through. "Why the F- did you do that?!" "What's your problem?" type stuff. Letting him play through cost us about a minute, we never saw him again after he went through, and we finished our round in 4:45 with nobody in front of us. I was never invited to play with these guys again. Frankly, I didn't want to play with them again after that experience. I don't understand their mentality.

• Like 1

> @HonestPlayer said:

> > @CaseyC said:

> > > > @jdl said:

> > > > "more shouting"? Sounds like there's more to this story.

> > >

> > > If someone is 50 yards away with their back to you - it's windy. Yes you need to basically shout to communicate....

> >

> > Why couldn't you walk up to them to talk to them? 50 yards up to talk to them and 50 yards back isn't a big deal

>

> Well, they looked the aggressive and nervous type - old guys with a bad game and bad attitude. I'd rather not interfere with them and their game. I'm pretty laid back normally. I got a little pissed at first, but me in a pissed state is more laid back than the average person in a chilled out state if you get my drift. I'm not going to walk into a confrontation with dinosaur type characters if I can help it. I'll skip next time instead of risking them losing it. More laid back group would have called me through way before that point. > @DavePelz4 said:

> > "Single Golfers Matter."

> >

> > Tee shirts for sale at $19.99/each.

>

> When you play and have played in 1-ball, 2-ball , 3 -ball and 4-ball walking and riding several or more times at a course you get a great idea of the etiquette on a course and experience the course from more perspectives. Singles matter, because a group is just singles together in reality - especially so if it's a member that's paid in full. I know you attempted to troll me with humour. The more I play and better I get (and want to be) the more I need to go out as a single - so I'm pretty new to playing anywhere as a single, it certainly shows you who is rude and who isn't on the course more clearly. I've played the most over my career as a 2-ball, then 4-ball, then 1-ball, then 3-ball so I can see this from all angles - and to be honest I think it's laughable people are scared of letting a single through as if it offends their masculinity and manhood or something.

Actually, no trolling and apologies if you took it that way. I play a bit of single golf and can 100% relate to the insensitivity of some non self aware groups.

So much can probably be avoided by people just being polite and asking nice questions, I literally have never seen a case where a single has politely asked to play through a group when there was clear course ahead, and seen them say no. Honestly just a "hey guys, what a great day were having eh? Mind if I go through real quick?"....who is saying no to that?

I find most of the time when people get their backs up, its because there's a lot of sticking hands up in the air, acting frustrated, hitting into people... and the immediate thought is that so and so is just a jerk and people start to do things out of spite.

I have played as a single many times and let through singles many times. The best interactions are always when people are just nice to each other

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

> @HonestPlayer said:

>

> Well, they looked the aggressive and nervous type - old guys with a bad game and bad attitude. I'd rather not interfere with them and their game.

You're telling two different stories. In your very first post, you said that you specifically decided to "try to push them and annoy them." And now you're saying you didn't want to interfere with them and their game. Which is it? Which one is wrong? They can't both be true.

> @MtlJeff said:

> So much can probably be avoided by people just being polite and asking nice questions, I literally have never seen a case where a single has politely asked to play through a group when there was clear course ahead, and seen them say no. Honestly just a "hey guys, what a great day were having eh? Mind if I go through real quick?"....who is saying no to that?

>

> I find most of the time when people get their backs up, its because there's a lot of sticking hands up in the air, acting frustrated, hitting into people... and the immediate thought is that so and so is just a jerk and people start to do things out of spite.

>

> I have played as a single many times and let through singles many times. The best interactions are always when people are just nice to each other

You don't play a lot of public courses, do you Sir?

> @HonestPlayer said:

> > @CaseyC said:

> > > > @jdl said:

> > > > "more shouting"? Sounds like there's more to this story.

> > >

> > > If someone is 50 yards away with their back to you - it's windy. Yes you need to basically shout to communicate....

> >

> > Why couldn't you walk up to them to talk to them? 50 yards up to talk to them and 50 yards back isn't a big deal

>

> Well, they looked the aggressive and nervous type - old guys with a bad game and bad attitude....... I'll skip next time instead of risking them losing it. More laid back group would have called me through way before that point. > @DavePelz4 said:

I think you have an overactive imagination.