2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

WRXers Scratch Amateur Tournaments Thread: Commitments, Results, etc....

Obee

Two very good friends qualified on Monday at Bear. One of them is a legend (Tim Hogarth). The other is a member at Bear and a very good young(er) player (Corey Baubault). It ALWAYS is even or 1-over at Bear Creek in a 4 or 5 player qualifier. Never fails. Course just plays TOUGH for the uninitiated.

What are your friends' names?

David

> @Shades234 said:

> > @Obee said:

> > We need to hook up for a round at Bear Creek!

> >

> > > @Shades234 said:

> > > Played a couple of events recently.

> > >

> > > Last weekend, I played the Oceanside City Am. Short, tight golf course. Not a big field. Probably 55 guys or so. Played decent enough golf, but bad swings are penalized out there and I made more than a couple bad swings. Shot 77-74 and finished ~20th. Played similarly both days but just didn't have penalty strokes on day 2. Goal was to use this as a tune-up for Mid-Am qualifying and I suppose it served its purpose.

> > >

> > > Today was US Mid-Am qualifying at Fairbanks Ranch CC in Rancho Santa Fe. I'm 25, so this was my first year eligible for the event. Shot a 74. 4 birds, 8 pars, 6 bogeys. There was 5-1 playoff at 71 for the 4th qualifying spot and alternates. Putted fairly well aside from a bad 3-putt from 25 feet and a meh 3-putt from 85 feet. Had a pretty good feel for the greens aside from a few blips and was hitting the ball decently for the most part. A couple of bad swings got me in trouble though. However, my 6 bogeys came in bunches of 3. So there was definitely a mental element to it. Pretty much made the exact same bad swing twice in a row. One bogey was a miracle bogey, the other was on a par 3 where I failed to convert the 6' par putt that I left myself with. 2 bogeys were due to poor target selection AKA a lack of trust in the line that I should've chosen and deciding to "play it safe" which put me in a worse position. One bogey was a misjudgement of the wind which had flipped directions for the only time today and the last one was the dreaded 3-putt from 25 feet. Definitely could've cleaned up the round a bit and put a better number out there, but that's golf.

> > >

> > > This closes my summer tournament season. I think it'd be easy to be disappointed since my results from this years rounds of qualifying were more or less the same as last year. However, last year I felt like when I walked off the course at these qualifiers that I had scored as well as I possibly could've with what I brought to the course that day. Over the past year I've attempted to become a much more complete player. I joined a difficult club which forced me to take stock of my game and realize how weak it actually was. I started to attack these weakness and I'm seeing more and more opportunities to improve.

> > >

> > > Going to keep working on making my swing more consistent. Been doing a lot of work on the trigger move that starts the sequence of my downswing. When I do it right, I flush it. When I don't, there's a good chance I'm hitting a ball into a difficult situation.

> > >

> > > I have a member guest next month and then a couple of local events (San Clemente + Coronado City Ams) in the Fall as well as US 4-ball qualifying. I treat 4-ball qualifying more like a 1 day guest-guest at a random club. Will try our best to make it back to Philly Cricket, but I view that day as more for fun than to grind.

> >

> >

>

> Would love to sometime in the fall. Couple of my friends played Bear Creek for the qualifier Monday. Went up there for the challenge and got plenty of it. lol

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

> @Obee said:

> Two very good friends qualified on Monday at Bear. One of them is a legend (Tim Hogarth). The other is a member at Bear and a very good young(er) player (Corey Baubault). It ALWAYS is even or 1-over at Bear Creek in a 4 or 5 player qualifier. Never fails. Course just plays TOUGH for the uninitiated.

>

> What are your friends' names?

>

> David

>

> > @Shades234 said:

> > > @Obee said:

> > > We need to hook up for a round at Bear Creek!

> > >

> > > > @Shades234 said:

> > > > Played a couple of events recently.

> > > >

> > > > Last weekend, I played the Oceanside City Am. Short, tight golf course. Not a big field. Probably 55 guys or so. Played decent enough golf, but bad swings are penalized out there and I made more than a couple bad swings. Shot 77-74 and finished ~20th. Played similarly both days but just didn't have penalty strokes on day 2. Goal was to use this as a tune-up for Mid-Am qualifying and I suppose it served its purpose.

> > > >

> > > > Today was US Mid-Am qualifying at Fairbanks Ranch CC in Rancho Santa Fe. I'm 25, so this was my first year eligible for the event. Shot a 74. 4 birds, 8 pars, 6 bogeys. There was 5-1 playoff at 71 for the 4th qualifying spot and alternates. Putted fairly well aside from a bad 3-putt from 25 feet and a meh 3-putt from 85 feet. Had a pretty good feel for the greens aside from a few blips and was hitting the ball decently for the most part. A couple of bad swings got me in trouble though. However, my 6 bogeys came in bunches of 3. So there was definitely a mental element to it. Pretty much made the exact same bad swing twice in a row. One bogey was a miracle bogey, the other was on a par 3 where I failed to convert the 6' par putt that I left myself with. 2 bogeys were due to poor target selection AKA a lack of trust in the line that I should've chosen and deciding to "play it safe" which put me in a worse position. One bogey was a misjudgement of the wind which had flipped directions for the only time today and the last one was the dreaded 3-putt from 25 feet. Definitely could've cleaned up the round a bit and put a better number out there, but that's golf.

> > > >

> > > > This closes my summer tournament season. I think it'd be easy to be disappointed since my results from this years rounds of qualifying were more or less the same as last year. However, last year I felt like when I walked off the course at these qualifiers that I had scored as well as I possibly could've with what I brought to the course that day. Over the past year I've attempted to become a much more complete player. I joined a difficult club which forced me to take stock of my game and realize how weak it actually was. I started to attack these weakness and I'm seeing more and more opportunities to improve.

> > > >

> > > > Going to keep working on making my swing more consistent. Been doing a lot of work on the trigger move that starts the sequence of my downswing. When I do it right, I flush it. When I don't, there's a good chance I'm hitting a ball into a difficult situation.

> > > >

> > > > I have a member guest next month and then a couple of local events (San Clemente + Coronado City Ams) in the Fall as well as US 4-ball qualifying. I treat 4-ball qualifying more like a 1 day guest-guest at a random club. Will try our best to make it back to Philly Cricket, but I view that day as more for fun than to grind.

> > >

> > >

> >

> > Would love to sometime in the fall. Couple of my friends played Bear Creek for the qualifier Monday. Went up there for the challenge and got plenty of it. lol

>

>

I guess Jeff Koprivetz is actually the only one I'd consider to be a friend from the list. Thought there was one more, but I guess not. I've played a qualifying round or 2 with Nick Lumsden, but don't know him beyond that. Jeff had mentioned going up to Bear because he wanted a difficult test where even would get through like you said. Most of the other guys from my club played Fairbanks like I did and we had one get through the playoff.

I actually just found out today that our clubs will go head to head in Scratch League in the fall. I play out of The Farms, but probably won't participate in the matches. Have some travel and general difficulties playing midday during the week. I'd be all over it if it was a weekend series, but clubs rarely like to give up those times. Always like to follow along with scoring for these things though.

--Tommy

The first time I ever played The Farms was two years ago. Played a little money match with Ed Cuff. He got me 1-up on 18. I enjoy The Farms.

I am playing mostly for Victoria Club this year. Maybe play a match or two for Bear. We'll see.... :-)

David

> @Shades234 said:

> > @Obee said:

> > Two very good friends qualified on Monday at Bear. One of them is a legend (Tim Hogarth). The other is a member at Bear and a very good young(er) player (Corey Baubault). It ALWAYS is even or 1-over at Bear Creek in a 4 or 5 player qualifier. Never fails. Course just plays TOUGH for the uninitiated.

> >

> > What are your friends' names?

> >

> > David

> >

> > > @Shades234 said:

> > > > @Obee said:

> > > > We need to hook up for a round at Bear Creek!

> > > >

> > > > > @Shades234 said:

> > > > > Played a couple of events recently.

> > > > >

> > > > > Last weekend, I played the Oceanside City Am. Short, tight golf course. Not a big field. Probably 55 guys or so. Played decent enough golf, but bad swings are penalized out there and I made more than a couple bad swings. Shot 77-74 and finished ~20th. Played similarly both days but just didn't have penalty strokes on day 2. Goal was to use this as a tune-up for Mid-Am qualifying and I suppose it served its purpose.

> > > > >

> > > > > Today was US Mid-Am qualifying at Fairbanks Ranch CC in Rancho Santa Fe. I'm 25, so this was my first year eligible for the event. Shot a 74. 4 birds, 8 pars, 6 bogeys. There was 5-1 playoff at 71 for the 4th qualifying spot and alternates. Putted fairly well aside from a bad 3-putt from 25 feet and a meh 3-putt from 85 feet. Had a pretty good feel for the greens aside from a few blips and was hitting the ball decently for the most part. A couple of bad swings got me in trouble though. However, my 6 bogeys came in bunches of 3. So there was definitely a mental element to it. Pretty much made the exact same bad swing twice in a row. One bogey was a miracle bogey, the other was on a par 3 where I failed to convert the 6' par putt that I left myself with. 2 bogeys were due to poor target selection AKA a lack of trust in the line that I should've chosen and deciding to "play it safe" which put me in a worse position. One bogey was a misjudgement of the wind which had flipped directions for the only time today and the last one was the dreaded 3-putt from 25 feet. Definitely could've cleaned up the round a bit and put a better number out there, but that's golf.

> > > > >

> > > > > This closes my summer tournament season. I think it'd be easy to be disappointed since my results from this years rounds of qualifying were more or less the same as last year. However, last year I felt like when I walked off the course at these qualifiers that I had scored as well as I possibly could've with what I brought to the course that day. Over the past year I've attempted to become a much more complete player. I joined a difficult club which forced me to take stock of my game and realize how weak it actually was. I started to attack these weakness and I'm seeing more and more opportunities to improve.

> > > > >

> > > > > Going to keep working on making my swing more consistent. Been doing a lot of work on the trigger move that starts the sequence of my downswing. When I do it right, I flush it. When I don't, there's a good chance I'm hitting a ball into a difficult situation.

> > > > >

> > > > > I have a member guest next month and then a couple of local events (San Clemente + Coronado City Ams) in the Fall as well as US 4-ball qualifying. I treat 4-ball qualifying more like a 1 day guest-guest at a random club. Will try our best to make it back to Philly Cricket, but I view that day as more for fun than to grind.

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > > Would love to sometime in the fall. Couple of my friends played Bear Creek for the qualifier Monday. Went up there for the challenge and got plenty of it. lol

> >

> >

>

> I guess Jeff Koprivetz is actually the only one I'd consider to be a friend from the list. Thought there was one more, but I guess not. I've played a qualifying round or 2 with Nick Lumsden, but don't know him beyond that. Jeff had mentioned going up to Bear because he wanted a difficult test where even would get through like you said. Most of the other guys from my club played Fairbanks like I did and we had one get through the playoff.

>

> I actually just found out today that our clubs will go head to head in Scratch League in the fall. I play out of The Farms, but probably won't participate in the matches. Have some travel and general difficulties playing midday during the week. I'd be all over it if it was a weekend series, but clubs rarely like to give up those times. Always like to follow along with scoring for these things though.

>

> --Tommy

I played in my Mid am qualifier on Monday at Paa-Ko Ridge outside Albuquerque. Course is tough, basically junk (forest, tall grass, cactus) on both sides of every single hole. Had a bit of a shaky front 9 with some dumb bogeys and one after taking an unplayable from the junk. Made a birdie on 11 to get to +2 and was standing 190 out on par 5 12th thinking eagle or birdie but made a bogey and then started pressing and the round slowly unraveled from there. I thought the number was going to be around even and that's what it ended up being. I was pleased with my ability to keep the ball in play and generally make good decisions. I only hit 2 drivers all day because they landing areas were so much wider where my 2 iron was coming down. I've definitely been stuck in that 75-82 zone that has been discussed. I have a hard time stringing together good shots in these things. In noncompetitive rounds I can hit a few good ones get the confidence going and slowly ramp up the aggression and that's usually how I shoot my low rounds where I make 4-6 birdies. I just can't ever get into that flow in these qualifiers.

9e9ooa99jreb.png

• Like 1

75 (+3) today. New irons worked out well today. Changed the shafts in my wedges and they were awesome. Still had issues with putting. Couldn't quite get the speed down. Think my ball position and I was moving my left arm too much in the backstroke.

Part of the problem was my partners in the cash game were...

'You...you're not good. You stink' - Ty Webb

That's not an issue for me because all I ever ask for is my partners to try. But, the play was so bad that the only way to make money was to go for birdies and eagles. 16 I wouldn't have gone for it and I put in in the drink. Same with 18. Overall, I hit 12 greens, but only made 1 putt.

The swing is getting along pretty well. I've found some pieces that I needed to pick up . It's just a round or so away from getting consistently into the 60's.

RH

• Like 1

been working on my swing a bit in between the last tourneys and my prep for the USGA 4ball qual in a week or two.

sigh

it is either incredible and works to a T and effortless power...or it's blocks to the right; specifically with driver. it's a process but, it's getting there.

who else can't believe it's almost fall??

• Like 1

Qi10 LS / 8* (dialed to 8.75*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Dark Speed LS / 3w (dialed to 15.5*) / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

• 2 weeks later...

reviving the thread a bit - my partner and i got a chance to get out saturday and play the course we're playin for the 4ball. for a course that is sub 6700y and par 71...it is a BLAST to play. so many options off tees, the course is a bit wide open and the defense is the greens. you can bomb it all day if you want and give yourself wedges to the tight pins -- the trees around the holes are not tall and can be driven over with ease. we're incredibly excited for the round -- but we know we'll have to shoot roughly 7-8 under par to get in.

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

Haven't been playing much due to the heat, which I can't stand, and the few times I have played through August have been atrocious. So bad that I thought about hanging it up for a month or two just to cool off. Came out of the darkness the the last two days with a 74 and a 70 on a 7k 74.10/131 track, missing 69 on the 18th green by leaving it 3 inches short - which would have been a personal best. Oh well.

Club championship qualifying and subsequent matchplay coming up, hoping and working to keep driver and wedges sharp in the interim.

> @Buckets2 said:

> Btw- what does everyone like for a stupid-easy-to-hit 3 wood? Always been my nemesis club and I've fallen out of love with my M3. Been leaning toward the G410 regular or LST. Thoughts?

See my sig. Easy as it gets for me.

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

> @gioguy21 said:

> > @Buckets2 said:

> > Btw- what does everyone like for a stupid-easy-to-hit 3 wood? Always been my nemesis club and I've fallen out of love with my M3. Been leaning toward the G410 regular or LST. Thoughts?

>

> See my sig. Easy as it gets for me.

That was the other head I was considering, I have an extra green dot adapter so being able to really flatten it and make it more anti left is attractive. My snap hooks and over draws with the tres le wood are brutal. Anything to lessen the severity.

Why did you like the Flash over the 410?

> @Buckets2 said:

> > @gioguy21 said:

> > > @Buckets2 said:

> > > Btw- what does everyone like for a stupid-easy-to-hit 3 wood? Always been my nemesis club and I've fallen out of love with my M3. Been leaning toward the G410 regular or LST. Thoughts?

> >

> > See my sig. Easy as it gets for me.

>

> That was the other head I was considering, I have an extra green dot adapter so being able to really flatten it and make it more anti left is attractive. My snap hooks and over draws with the tres le wood are brutal. Anything to lessen the severity.

>

> Why did you like the Flash over the 410?

Feel/sound and it flat out goes a very long way. Its almost a driver replacement on short courses; between that and my epic CF17 3i

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

> @gioguy21 said:

> > @Buckets2 said:

> > > @gioguy21 said:

> > > > @Buckets2 said:

> > > > Btw- what does everyone like for a stupid-easy-to-hit 3 wood? Always been my nemesis club and I've fallen out of love with my M3. Been leaning toward the G410 regular or LST. Thoughts?

> > >

> > > See my sig. Easy as it gets for me.

> >

> > That was the other head I was considering, I have an extra green dot adapter so being able to really flatten it and make it more anti left is attractive. My snap hooks and over draws with the tres le wood are brutal. Anything to lessen the severity.

> >

> > Why did you like the Flash over the 410?

>

> Feel/sound and it flat out goes a very long way. Its almost a driver replacement on short courses; between that and my epic CF17 3i

Good enough for me. Guess I'll go find one now :)

Kept my parking spot for the 4th year in a row by winning the CC. Didn’t play well at all, our front 9 is really hard with tons of water and OB, I’d play the front poorly and then go under par on the back every day. Was 3 back after 1, 3 up after 2, and won by 8. Everyone else had at least one extreme blowup day with a decent amount of wind and greens that were 13+, although I thought the wind all 3 days was coming from the easiest direction.

Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link

> @swizbeatz said:

> Kept my parking spot for the 4th year in a row by winning the CC. Didn’t play well at all, our front 9 is really hard with tons of water and OB, I’d play the front poorly and then go under par on the back every day. Was 3 back after 1, 3 up after 2, and won by 8. Everyone else had at least one extreme blowup day with a decent amount of wind and greens that were 13+, although I thought the wind all 3 days was coming from the easiest direction.

Congrats!!!!

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

> @Buckets2 said:

> Btw- what does everyone like for a stupid-easy-to-hit 3 wood? Always been my nemesis club and I've fallen out of love with my M3. Been leaning toward the G410 regular or LST. Thoughts?

410 is literally the easiest to hit fairway metal ever. Try the SFT. With the adjustability they are not really draw bias unless you want them to be. And big shallow head elevates the ball like a dream.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Have the CC at our sister club this weekend so I get another shot at not blowing it. Dorian coming through Thursday night and Friday morning though so depending on rain amounts we may not be playing.

Callaway Paradym TD 8*/HZRDUS GEN4 Black Limited Edition 60TX

Ping G425 LST 3W/Hulk 70TX

G425 3H/Ventus 9x HY

PXG 0311 Gen 4 T/ST Combo/PX LZ 6.5

Vokey SM9 50F/54S/58M, DG Black Onyx x100

> @drvrwdge said:

> Soooo 1st round was blah. All over the place. Shot 74 but this did happen..rtxgi8rcjamc.jpeg

>

>

Well dang! Nice deuce!!!!!

• Like 1

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

Played the cash game today and shot 71 (-1). Hit 14 GIR with a OB ball on the 6th hole. Started off hitting pushes with my irons and on #6 I layed up off the tee with a 3-wood, hit it well, but pushed it OB. Playing Orange Tree is like playing with a loaded .38 to your head sometimes.

This was my best putting performance with the Stability shaft. I have had a problem with my grip pressure being too light and getting some 'slop' in my stroke as David Orr would say. I found that with the Stability Shaft I need a little more grip pressure and I was letting a little too much daylight between my right and left hand in the grip. I fixed that and started putting quite well. I did miss a 4'8" putt (I know the distance because we do CTP on the par-3's. That was the only stroke I used too much left hand and I pulled it. I also found that keeping the pin works best for me. I get a much better feel for the speed of the putt and since I use AimPoint it helps me better align my fingers to the hole.

Swing wise I am starting to really get there. I'm pretty happy with the performance as I had not touched the club much given the weather and then Hurricane Dorian. I hit the driver quite well...and long. the stuff I've been working with the left side of the lower body really works. Had 7-iron into #2 and #10, both par-5's. I think I had 6-iron into #10 once, but I cut the corner so much that I was about a foot from OB. These drives were right in the middle of the fairway.

I did get a little tired though and my swing started to suffer for it. Now I just need to get more reps and keep working on the putting stroke.

RH

Cool thread, I wish I had found it earlier.

Going back to July I have been in the midst of playing a great stretch of golf. 4th of July Weekend I shot -5 for 3 rounds and finished 3rd to a Michigan State University stud and my Publinx team captain. Then I got to play the purest Donald Ross course I have ever seen called Franklin Hills in Michigan for the GAM Championship qualifier. Shot 70 my first time around there in the qualifier to make it into the Championship. At the GAM Championship tournament proper I went 69-70-69 (-8) to finish 3rd again to the same MSU stud (-9) (he made eagle on 18 with a 3 wood to 3 feet from a blind fairway to jump me by a shot) and another college player that lit it up and ran away to (-15). Fast forward to last month, I fired 67 in my USGA Mid-Am qualifier at CC Lansing in Michigan and then made birdie the first playoff hole to solidify my place in Colorado. I hit my irons so well that day.. I had 4 shots that pitched within 6 inches of the hole but 2 of them backed up a bit. I was happy with the way I battled because I was able to bounce back from my 2 bogies with immediate birdies on the front and then put together a solid back 9 that included a really good 2 putt par from 60+ feet on 17 and then a huge par save from some trees on 18. Last week I went to northern Michigan to compete in the Michigan Mid-Am and finished 6th in brutal conditions. 30-40 mph constant and pouring rain all day the first day and then 30-35 winds the 2nd day. Other than 2 holes where I lost my tee shot and went +3 on the back 9 par 5’s to shoot +3 the first day I felt I played solid in the weather. Then I came home for 2 days before going back across the state for qualifying for the USGA 4-ball. I made 5 birdies there and my partner made 1 on a hole that I was already a tap-in away birdie so we shot -5 total which didn’t get the job done as there were 2 rounds of -9 in our qualifier. Yesterday ended our Michigan Publinx tournament season where i fired an E 71 after getting off to a rough start and TODAY is our State Publinx Championship match against a team from across town. I believe we have an advantage at this course (Indianwood CC - New Course) because nobody from the other team has ever played it and it is a visually intimidating challenge almost every shot.

I normally play a very straight flight but lately I have been letting a fade go and scoring well so I am going to stick to the fade. I’m a lefty too so I feel the right to left shape fits a TON more golf courses than a draw. I have been playing so much tournament golf without range work that I have leaked in some swing changes without my knowledge and with the U.S Mid Am next week I have to roll with what I am hitting right now. It is hard to explain but over the last couple months I have been able to find a away to score even when I feel like I am not playing great. I have dedicated my tee ball to the fade now and I have really focused a lot on my putting from 10 feet and in which has paid off lately. Some of you may know I have battled with health issues the last 4 years and this year I have kind of settled into a manageable mindset which has helped a ton. Now my new challenge is going to be adjusting to altitude in Colorado... I did a TrackMan session yesterday set to 7,000 elevation to get some numbers and it’s going to be bombs away from what it looks like.

xijaw5dgur66.jpeg

• Like 2

Current WITB

TAYLORMADE M5 9* (Tensei Pro white 80tx)
PING i25 14* (KuroKage Proto 70xx)
SRIXON ZU85 2i (C-TAPER 130x)
SRIXON Z785 4-PW (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 50S (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 55W (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 60X (C-TAPER 130x)
TAYLORMADE Spider Tour Black (no alignment aid)
BRIDGESTONE TOUR Bx 

Final round of my club championship today. 69, 71 the first two rounds. I am tied for second, five back of our nine time club champion. At 46, he is still a very long and straight driver of the ball. He can easily reach all four par five holes on our course. I can only reach one.

I will have to play my very best today AND get lucky with him having a mediocre round.

He just dominates this golf course.

Ladies and gents, we have a REAL amateur amongst us. :-)

How old are you thunder?

> @ThunderBuzzworth said:

> Cool thread, I wish I had found it earlier.

> Going back to July I have been in the midst of playing a great stretch of golf. 4th of July Weekend I shot -5 for 3 rounds and finished 3rd to a Michigan State University stud and my Publinx team captain. Then I got to play the purest Donald Ross course I have ever seen called Franklin Hills in Michigan for the GAM Championship qualifier. Shot 70 my first time around there in the qualifier to make it into the Championship. At the GAM Championship tournament proper I went 69-70-69 (-8) to finish 3rd again to the same MSU stud (-9) (he made eagle on 18 with a 3 wood to 3 feet from a blind fairway to jump me by a shot) and another college player that lit it up and ran away to (-15). Fast forward to last month, I fired 67 in my USGA Mid-Am qualifier at CC Lansing in Michigan and then made birdie the first playoff hole to solidify my place in Colorado. I hit my irons so well that day.. I had 4 shots that pitched within 6 inches of the hole but 2 of them backed up a bit. I was happy with the way I battled because I was able to bounce back from my 2 bogies with immediate birdies on the front and then put together a solid back 9 that included a really good 2 putt par from 60+ feet on 17 and then a huge par save from some trees on 18. Last week I went to northern Michigan to compete in the Michigan Mid-Am and finished 6th in brutal conditions. 30-40 mph constant and pouring rain all day the first day and then 30-35 winds the 2nd day. Other than 2 holes where I lost my tee shot and went +3 on the back 9 par 5’s to shoot +3 the first day I felt I played solid in the weather. Then I came home for 2 days before going back across the state for qualifying for the USGA 4-ball. I made 5 birdies there and my partner made 1 on a hole that I was already a tap-in away birdie so we shot -5 total which didn’t get the job done as there were 2 rounds of -9 in our qualifier. Yesterday ended our Michigan Publinx tournament season where i fired an E 71 after getting off to a rough start and TODAY is our State Publinx Championship match against a team from across town. I believe we have an advantage at this course (Indianwood CC - New Course) because nobody from the other team has ever played it and it is a visually intimidating challenge almost every shot.

>

> I normally play a very straight flight but lately I have been letting a fade go and scoring well so I am going to stick to the fade. I’m a lefty too so I feel the right to left shape fits a TON more golf courses than a draw. I have been playing so much tournament golf without range work that I have leaked in some swing changes without my knowledge and with the U.S Mid Am next week I have to roll with what I am hitting right now. It is hard to explain but over the last couple months I have been able to find a away to score even when I feel like I am not playing great. I have dedicated my tee ball to the fade now and I have really focused a lot on my putting from 10 feet and in which has paid off lately. Some of you may know I have battled with health issues the last 4 years and this year I have kind of settled into a manageable mindset which has helped a ton. Now my new challenge is going to be adjusting to altitude in Colorado... I did a TrackMan session yesterday set to 7,000 elevation to get some numbers and it’s going to be bombs away from what it looks like.

>

> xijaw5dgur66.jpeg

>

My casual weekday handicap is about 0 to +1. These rounds are the ones that generally count for the top 10 of my recent 20. My theoretical weekend handicap where I'm playing in all kinds of games, usually with handicappers over 10 in my group, would probably be like 5 or 6. I don't have nerve problems, I think it's more to do with being out of "golf flow" and lack of complete focus and relaxation.

Edit: My weekend woes are probably 80+% tee-shot related.

Tips and tricks?

@Obee, I am turning 31 on Monday September 16 so I am really hoping I can limit my mistakes and make the cut. To have a match on my birthday would be the ultimate gift for me. If I am hitting my driver decent I think I’ll be okay.

Current WITB

TAYLORMADE M5 9* (Tensei Pro white 80tx)
PING i25 14* (KuroKage Proto 70xx)
SRIXON ZU85 2i (C-TAPER 130x)
SRIXON Z785 4-PW (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 50S (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 55W (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 60X (C-TAPER 130x)
TAYLORMADE Spider Tour Black (no alignment aid)
BRIDGESTONE TOUR Bx