Single etiquette - playing through

I don't know the course, but if they are as slow as you said, it seems like you would be able to finish a hole and then meet them on the next tee box, where you could ask to play through? Although as stated above, I wouldn't be surprised if they gave you "the single has no recourse" or whatever that nonsense is. I've played with people that absolutely hate to let others play through, it makes no sense to me.

> @jmkenn0 said:

> I don't know the course, but if they are as slow as you said, it seems like you would be able to finish a hole and then meet them on the next tee box, where you could ask to play through? Although as stated above, I wouldn't be surprised if they gave you "the single has no recourse" or whatever that nonsense is. I've played with people that absolutely hate to let others play through, it makes no sense to me.

There's really only two scenarios. Either the full group is playing slowly enough that the single can catch up to them on the next tee box or if the single can never catch up then they're really not playing very slowly at all.

I love a fast solo round as much as the next guy but there's a difference in "That group ahead of me is so slow I'll never finish in 2-1/2 hours" versus "That group ahead is so slow I'm waiting 5 minutes on every hole".

As far as I'm concerned, nobody on a golf course is obliged to let a single playing in 2:20. If you want to play that fast on a course with threesomes and foursomes ahead, you will need to be willing to skip a hole or two at some point.

> @HonestPlayer said:

> > @davep043 said:

> > > @HonestPlayer said:

> > > They weren't hitting their drivers as far as my 9 iron. I hit a 315 yard driver on one hole (14th) after getting bored waiting (when they were out of range - and they turned back and saw it from the green).

> > >After that I decided to push them and annoy them -

> >

> > > Thoughts?

> > >

> > > I'm going to contact the club at some point about this , as it isn't clear in the club rules and member handbook how much of a complaint I have about this. I just wondered thoughts here about this specific case.

> >

> > My thoughts? I don't care how far you hit it, that makes absolutely no difference. And you were purposely being rude, by your own admission. That said, they should have invited you to play through.

> > As for the club's policy, I doubt that the club would contradict what is written in the Rules of Golf:

> > >Your pace of play is likely to affect how long it will take other players to play their rounds, including both those in your group and those in following groups. You are encouraged to allow faster groups to play through.

>

> The reason it matters is speed of play. They hit the ball shorter and more wayward than me - and slower to address the ball on every shot including more practice swings. That was more the point I was trying to make than talk about my distance - 2 of them took driver on a 160 yard par 3, that's how short they were off the tee. I'd hope so (that the club wouldn't contradict the Rules of Golf that you kindly quoted here)

What matters is pace of play, not distance off the tee. I'd bet that Bryson hits it MILES past you, and he's almost certainly slower. I know much shorter hitters who are at least as fast as you. The brag about your length does nothing to increase your credibility. To the contrary, it makes you seem entitled to go fast simply because you believe you're a better player than the fourball ahead of you.

Your contradictions and overt disdain for the 4some similarly don't improve your credibility:

>After the 15th I decided to play right on them, because I got pissed they didn't let me through

>After that I decided to push them and annoy them -

>I make sure I don't visually look annoyed to increase my chances of getting let through.

You're TRYING to annoy them, but you claim you don't appear to be annoyed. Sure, of course that works

>I'd rather not interfere with them and their game.

You said you WERE trying to interfere with their game, to annoy them

>I'm not going to walk into a confrontation with dinosaur type characters if I can help it.

>and to be honest I think it's laughable people are scared of letting a single through as if it offends their masculinity and manhood or something.

You call them dinosaurs, question THEIR masculinity, yet you're too shy to ask politely to play through?

Again, they should have asked you to play through. But you didn't exactly handle things well yourself.

I play a lot of single golf and never have the expectation to be waived through, although I am often asked and often asked to join the group ahead of me. While I use that extra time to practice, I do often get frustrated if the group multiple ball groups ahead are playing behind the expected pace of play for their size group. If it was me I would skip a hole and come back and play it, especially if you are in a cart and at an odd times where its likely to be open again.

> @davep043 said:

> > @HonestPlayer said:

> > > @davep043 said:

> > > > @HonestPlayer said:

> > > > They weren't hitting their drivers as far as my 9 iron. I hit a 315 yard driver on one hole (14th) after getting bored waiting (when they were out of range - and they turned back and saw it from the green).

> > > >After that I decided to push them and annoy them -

> > >

> > > > Thoughts?

> > > >

> > > > I'm going to contact the club at some point about this , as it isn't clear in the club rules and member handbook how much of a complaint I have about this. I just wondered thoughts here about this specific case.

> > >

> > > My thoughts? I don't care how far you hit it, that makes absolutely no difference. And you were purposely being rude, by your own admission. That said, they should have invited you to play through.

> > > As for the club's policy, I doubt that the club would contradict what is written in the Rules of Golf:

> > > >Your pace of play is likely to affect how long it will take other players to play their rounds, including both those in your group and those in following groups. You are encouraged to allow faster groups to play through.

> >

> > The reason it matters is speed of play. They hit the ball shorter and more wayward than me - and slower to address the ball on every shot including more practice swings. That was more the point I was trying to make than talk about my distance - 2 of them took driver on a 160 yard par 3, that's how short they were off the tee. I'd hope so (that the club wouldn't contradict the Rules of Golf that you kindly quoted here)

>

> What matters is pace of play, not distance off the tee. I'd bet that Bryson hits it MILES past you, and he's almost certainly slower. I know much shorter hitters who are at least as fast as you. The brag about your length does nothing to increase your credibility. To the contrary, it makes you seem entitled to go fast simply because you believe you're a better player than the fourball ahead of you.

> Your contradictions and overt disdain for the 4some similarly don't improve your credibility:

> >After the 15th I decided to play right on them, because I got pissed they didn't let me through

> >After that I decided to push them and annoy them -

> >I make sure I don't visually look annoyed to increase my chances of getting let through.

> You're TRYING to annoy them, but you claim you don't appear to be annoyed. Sure, of course that works

> >I'd rather not interfere with them and their game.

> You said you WERE trying to interfere with their game, to annoy them

> >I'm not going to walk into a confrontation with dinosaur type characters if I can help it.

> >and to be honest I think it's laughable people are scared of letting a single through as if it offends their masculinity and manhood or something.

> You call them dinosaurs, question THEIR masculinity, yet you're too shy to ask politely to play through?

> Again, they should have asked you to play through. But you didn't exactly handle things well yourself.

>

>

You seem very angry. Nope. I hit it further than DeChambeau that's for sure when I swing my 7i 105mph - that's why I play so fast. I can get it out there in play easily. You don't get it. More shots to the green = slower. If you play every Par 4 as a 3 shot hole you can't be as fast as a play playing at the same tempo that gets there in 2 easily. I think you are very confused about this. This is nothing about being better than anyone. If you learned to read instead of being angry about your lack of distance you'd realise that it was a 3-ball not a 4-ball. Yeah, I annoyed them a little pushing it - that's very small nuisance compared to confrontation. After they interfered with my game I have a right to push them to make it clear I want to play through.

How's Bryson DeChambeau relevant here exactly? You seem riled for some reason. I don't need confrontation if I can avoid it - it's quite clear you're the opposite trying to cause it here. Pushing a player because the group ahead is slow is pretty basic if you want, to get through to an empty course, especially after they didn't get the hint.

I'll block you if there's a feature here - getting angry about nothing along with North Butte. You think you're a therapist, you aren't. You are the opposite, you have no composure in your posts or grounding. Before you cry about my SS I have a 3i that's de-lofted and play a 6.5 rifle X shaft on it - I had the option of taking the 7 rifle x shaft but like the shaft a little softer compared to my speed - I don't need to prove my distance to you anyway, that wasn't remotely the point in the thread - you don't have a clue. Got you on my ignore list now and I'll get the thread locked so you and Matte don't blow it up - he chose to reply to my post to someone else after I deliberately ignored him for having an attitude like yours. This might be the internet, but you are still talking to real people - something you and him don't seem to realise. I appreciate the feedback from everyone else however and will take it on board next time.

> @CaseyC said:

> > @HonestPlayer said:

>

> >

> > You seem very angry. Nope. I hit it further than DeChambeau that's for sure when I swing my 7i 105mph - that's why I play so fast. I can get it out there in play easily. You don't get it. More shots to the green = slower.

>

>

> What did you shoot?

>

76, my score/handicap keeps dropping which is nice - helps I got lessons for the first time after I started breaking 90 consistently.

Yes, score is all that matters if that's what you meant (hard to tell just from the question) - it's why I try to get out there a lot even as a single and work so much on course management and green reading. I enjoy GolfSideKick on youtube - good player and good ideas.

> @DavePelz4 said:

> > @MtlJeff said:

> > So much can probably be avoided by people just being polite and asking nice questions, I literally have never seen a case where a single has politely asked to play through a group when there was clear course ahead, and seen them say no. Honestly just a "hey guys, what a great day were having eh? Mind if I go through real quick?"....who is saying no to that?

> >

> > I find most of the time when people get their backs up, its because there's a lot of sticking hands up in the air, acting frustrated, hitting into people... and the immediate thought is that so and so is just a jerk and people start to do things out of spite.

> >

> > I have played as a single many times and let through singles many times. The best interactions are always when people are just nice to each other

>

> You don't play a lot of public courses, do you Sir?

Its definitely better at private courses at least here. Usually its hard to play through on public courses because they are so packed, but I've played public and let through or been let through.

It's still Canada after all, we're very polite eh

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

> @HonestPlayer said:

> > @CaseyC said:

> > > @HonestPlayer said:

> >

> > >

> > > You seem very angry. Nope. I hit it further than DeChambeau that's for sure when I swing my 7i 105mph - that's why I play so fast. I can get it out there in play easily. You don't get it. More shots to the green = slower.

> >

> >

> > What did you shoot?

> >

>

> 76, my score/handicap keeps dropping which is nice - helps I got lessons for the first time after I started breaking 90 consistently.

>

> Yes, score is all that matters if that's what you meant (hard to tell just from the question) - it's why I try to get out there a lot even as a single and work so much on course management and green reading. I enjoy GolfSideKick on youtube - good player and good ideas.

When playing by yourself, spend more time practicing around the green.....

> @davep043 said:

> > @HonestPlayer said:

> > They weren't hitting their drivers as far as my 9 iron. I hit a 315 yard driver on one hole (14th) after getting bored waiting (when they were out of range - and they turned back and saw it from the green).

> >After that I decided to push them and annoy them -

>

> > Thoughts?

> >

> > I'm going to contact the club at some point about this , as it isn't clear in the club rules and member handbook how much of a complaint I have about this. I just wondered thoughts here about this specific case.

>

> My thoughts? I don't care how far you hit it, that makes absolutely no difference. And you were purposely being rude, by your own admission. That said, they should have invited you to play through.

> As for the club's policy, I doubt that the club would contradict what is written in the Rules of Golf:

> >Your pace of play is likely to affect how long it will take other players to play their rounds, including both those in your group and those in following groups. You are encouraged to allow faster groups to play through.

I'd have to agree here. Although yes they were playing slower, provided they were playing within the course's designated pace of play timeline (not an estimation of the group's pace of play) they aren't necessarily obligated to let others play through; encouraged? Of course, but not obligated. And while yes it was rude of them not to play through, purposefully playing into them to intimidate them does not aid the situation. I'd just ask next time.

Driver - Taylormade M2 2017 9.75*

3W - Cobra RadSpeed Draw 14.5*

5W - Callaway Epic Flash 18*

7W - Taylormade M4 5HL 21*

5H - Callaway Rogue 24*

Irons - Taylormade P790 6-PW

Wedges - TM Milled Grind 50* & 54* | Hi-Toe 60*

Putter - Nike Method Converge B1-01

Grips - MCC clone| Ball - TP5