Should your junior golfer have a social media presence on Instagram / FB / Twitter?

I guess some topics to discuss in no matter of importance:

* At what age did you / should you have them engaged online?

* What content are you posting?

* Reasons for or against having a social media account.

* How do you use this in recruiting?

* Pitfalls to avoid

* Do you go private or public and does this change at a certain age?

* Why are you, as a parent, posting these on behalf of your under 13 year old?

There are probably a lot more scenarios to discuss so I'd expect this to conversation to expand past my pea brain thoughts.

There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

I have no experience with a child that age yet. But i would think that absolutely they should. The age I would want to make public IMO would be around 15-16 if they are ranked in anything(i dont' see the benefit much younger than this because they aren't needing to be recruited prior). Just like with any professional they would need to have someone screen what they post and have serrious conversations around that.

> @bradski said:

> I have no experience with a child that age yet. But i would think that absolutely they should. The age I would want to make public IMO would be around 15-16 if they are ranked in anything(i dont' see the benefit much younger than this because they aren't needing to be recruited prior). Just like with any professional they would need to have someone screen what they post and have serrious conversations around that.

Good point about screening for kids that are posting on their own. Parents, are you proactively screening or being reactive to posts that have already gone up? I assume all parents would have push alerts set up for their own kids.

I think a parent posting about a tournament every now and then is OK. Would be no different than a parent posting about a football or baseball game. I don't understand the entire Social Media thing of making a post everyday about little Johnnies journey.

Whether private or public, a kid over the age of 13 should not make one post on Social Media if they value being recruited by colleges. One picture or one comment that you post or directed to you in a post can change the course of the recruiting process for the worse. Colleges will have seminars with the student athletes about the do's and don'ts of social media because it can make the university look bad. Best to just set them to private and don't post anything.

• Like 2

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

No child should have an independent social media presence until High School at the earliest. To many pitfalls and negatives for essentially very little return. A parent posting about their kid or pictures of their kid is fun and a benefit of our current technology for families who can't be around. We live in a world where Grandma 900 miles away can see their grandson enjoy life and that is a great thing. What baffles me are these supposedly independent profiles but yet managed by the adults that are essentially marketing a kid as completely focused on golf. These are 9 and 10 year old kids playing against other 9 and 10 year old kids, they are not Rickie Fowler, Justin Thomas, or Bryson DeChambeau and their presence should not be completely wrapped around golf. Usernames of a child's account like GolfByInsertNameHere or InsertNameHereGolf or InsertNameHereGolfer instantly send a message to me of some misplaced values in where a game should fit into a child's life and honestly a warped sense of self for that child. What message are you sending to your kid by setting up this profile and showing them off to the world like they are a product? Sorry if this offends anyone but as someone who deals with High School athletes and has seen these actions and their consequences there is virtually no good benefit to this idea of a 7 year old with an independent instagram/facebook/twitter account.

> @BloctonGolf11 said:

> No child should have an independent social media presence until High School at the earliest. To many pitfalls and negatives for essentially very little return. A parent posting about their kid or pictures of their kid is fun and a benefit of our current technology for families who can't be around. We live in a world where Grandma 900 miles away can see their grandson enjoy life and that is a great thing. What baffles me are these supposedly independent profiles but yet managed by the adults that are essentially marketing a kid as completely focused on golf. These are 9 and 10 year old kids playing against other 9 and 10 year old kids, they are not Rickie Fowler, Justin Thomas, or Bryson DeChambeau and their presence should not be completely wrapped around golf. Usernames of a child's account like GolfByInsertNameHere or InsertNameHereGolf or InsertNameHereGolfer instantly send a message to me of some misplaced values in where a game should fit into a child's life and honestly a warped sense of self for that child. What message are you sending to your kid by setting up this profile and showing them off to the world like they are a product? Sorry if this offends anyone but as someone who deals with High School athletes and has seen these actions and their consequences there is virtually no good benefit to this idea of a 7 year old with an independent instagram/facebook/twitter account.

You win this thread. I agree 100%.

> @CTgolf said:

> Certain people should abstain from posting so many swing videos (esp in slo mo) of their kids

>

> It just highlights their swing flaws anyway

My favorite slow mo videos are the ones that start too early and you're sitting there watching it thinking, 'is this a picture?' and then 30 seconds later the club starts to move away from the ball.

So I'll chime in here on my kid(s). Neither of them have social media accounts of their own but I do have one myself that I post stuff on of them all the time. I don't really ever post anything of my daughter since she is in gymnastics and I'm not about to put out those images of her on the web. The reason neither of them have accounts is because I cringe whenever I see these kids responding to each other (9-11 year olds) that you know the parents are the ones actually responding. It really creeps me out when I see a kid post a swing and see another kid (read: DAD) reply saying so many complimentary things. The only benefit I see from having an IG account is the exposure you get with it but I'm not sure it's even positive to do so. If you look at the IG pages of these kids that are actually going places (Walker Cup Team or high profile college palyers) they hardly have any actual golf photos or swings on their pages.

> @leezer99 said:

> So I'll chime in here on my kid(s). Neither of them have social media accounts of their own but I do have one myself that I post stuff on of them all the time. I don't really ever post anything of my daughter since she is in gymnastics and I'm not about to put out those images of her on the web. The reason neither of them have accounts is because I cringe whenever I see these kids responding to each other (9-11 year olds) that you know the parents are the ones actually responding. It really creeps me out when I see a kid post a swing and see another kid (read: DAD) reply saying so many complimentary things. The only benefit I see from having an IG account is the exposure you get with it but I'm not sure it's even positive to do so. If you look at the IG pages of these kids that are actually going places (Walker Cup Team or high profile college palyers) they hardly have any actual golf photos or swings on their pages.

Bingo, I post plenty of stuff on my own profile of my son golfing but that is for family and friends who enjoy pictures of our kids. It is no different than pictures of him walking his dog or doing school items. There is a stark difference in this weird growing obsession with having individual child accounts focused solely on golf. Also, you hit the nail on the head, it is downright creepy seeing these supposed first person comments and posts when you know dang well it is an adult posting it.

My daughter is 11 and when we were at worlds a bunch of girls exchanged information after the rounds and at the parade. Many of them have their own instagram pages and my daughter asked about getting one. Right now I have a Facebook page that I post stuff about her golf journey on from time to time but that is it. One of the parents told me that IG is how many of the girls communicate with each other. On the one hand, I would love for my daughter to stay in touch with her golf friends but at the same time, I don’t know if I want to open that gate just yet. The one dad told me that he and his wife control the IG account so everything is monitored.

> @BloctonGolf11 said:

> No child should have an independent social media presence until High School at the earliest. To many pitfalls and negatives for essentially very little return. A parent posting about their kid or pictures of their kid is fun and a benefit of our current technology for families who can't be around. We live in a world where Grandma 900 miles away can see their grandson enjoy life and that is a great thing. What baffles me are these supposedly independent profiles but yet managed by the adults that are essentially marketing a kid as completely focused on golf. These are 9 and 10 year old kids playing against other 9 and 10 year old kids, they are not Rickie Fowler, Justin Thomas, or Bryson DeChambeau and their presence should not be completely wrapped around golf. Usernames of a child's account like GolfByInsertNameHere or InsertNameHereGolf or InsertNameHereGolfer instantly send a message to me of some misplaced values in where a game should fit into a child's life and honestly a warped sense of self for that child. What message are you sending to your kid by setting up this profile and showing them off to the world like they are a product? Sorry if this offends anyone but as someone who deals with High School athletes and has seen these actions and their consequences there is virtually no good benefit to this idea of a 7 year old with an independent instagram/facebook/twitter account.

This should be required reading for every parent and junior golfer. Well done

> @Golfingdawg19 said:

> The one dad told me that he and his wife control the IG account so everything is monitored.

These are the girls with Finsta accounts. It's not as nefarious as it sounds, they are just IG accounts the parents don't know about that they use to actually communicate with their friends on without their parents 'freaking out'.

> @leezer99 said:

> So I'll chime in here on my kid(s). Neither of them have social media accounts of their own but I do have one myself that I post stuff on of them all the time. I don't really ever post anything of my daughter since she is in gymnastics and I'm not about to put out those images of her on the web. The reason neither of them have accounts is because I cringe whenever I see these kids responding to each other (9-11 year olds) that you know the parents are the ones actually responding. It really creeps me out when I see a kid post a swing and see another kid (read: DAD) reply saying so many complimentary things. The only benefit I see from having an IG account is the exposure you get with it but I'm not sure it's even positive to do so. If you look at the IG pages of these kids that are actually going places (Walker Cup Team or high profile college palyers) they hardly have any actual golf photos or swings on their pages.

BS... I follow you and I only see things now and then. I enjoy watching the courses you play more than anything else. I also wonder where the heck will they let us play here in Tshirt and Shorts.

> @leezer99 said:

> > @Golfingdawg19 said:

> > The one dad told me that he and his wife control the IG account so everything is monitored.

>

> These are the girls with Finsta accounts. It's not as nefarious as it sounds, they are just IG accounts the parents don't know about that they use to actually communicate with their friends on without their parents 'freaking out'.

Strict parents = Sneaky kids

Resume:

3 Teenagers

• Like 2

Some of the IG interactions weird me out, but having IG accounts overall doesn't bother me. I have one for my 8YO that I started in late January. I have posted something 46 times this year and don't post those "story" things. I'm using it as an easily accessible "archive of his swing videos", to keep in touch with relatives and yes....brand marketing.

**Have we established a "brand" yet?** Probably not.

**Is said "brand" worthwhile to create?** I guess that depends. If Cobra or Wilson approaches us and offers free equipment, I guess I would say yes.

**Is IG account worthwhile as an "archive" and keeping touch with family?** Yes and YES.

**Are some of these IG kid's golf accounts over the top?** Most definitely.

**Are the IG interactions weird (posting a previous pic of your kid with a pro after said pro wins a tournament, all the 3rd person chatter, etc..)?** Yes, a little odd.

**Is my kid's identity tied up in the IG account?** I would doubt he ever thinks about it because he's not the one "running" it.

**Are there pitfalls to social media?** Some great discussion I agree with above about the pitfalls of social media and what can happen to one's reputation with even liking just one post or making one bad comment. When my kid gets older, he will be taught the things to watch out for on social media and he will likely have his own personal, non-branded account.

Thankfully, it's a free country.

It's no fun when the rabbit's got the gun.

> @heavy_hitter said:

> > @leezer99 said:

> > So I'll chime in here on my kid(s). Neither of them have social media accounts of their own but I do have one myself that I post stuff on of them all the time. I don't really ever post anything of my daughter since she is in gymnastics and I'm not about to put out those images of her on the web. The reason neither of them have accounts is because I cringe whenever I see these kids responding to each other (9-11 year olds) that you know the parents are the ones actually responding. It really creeps me out when I see a kid post a swing and see another kid (read: DAD) reply saying so many complimentary things. The only benefit I see from having an IG account is the exposure you get with it but I'm not sure it's even positive to do so. If you look at the IG pages of these kids that are actually going places (Walker Cup Team or high profile college palyers) they hardly have any actual golf photos or swings on their pages.

>

> BS... I follow you and I only see things now and then. I enjoy watching the courses you play more than anything else. I also wonder where the heck will they let us play here in Tshirt and Shorts.

Muni Life bro. LOL

I think having an IG or FB account is a great way to let their friends know what they’re doing along with family. It also serves to show a nice timeline of a few photos and videos as it is highly unlikely that you’ll ever look at the 1000s of pics and videos taken over the years. For equipment?!?!?! I don’t even know why any junior under the age of 15 would want to stay with one OEM; maybe if you’re good enough to get grinds and fittings at the kingdom, but each OEM has products in its lineup superior to another OEM. If given the choice, I don’t know a single OEM I would outfit my son throughout the entire bag...

> @yellowlover519 said:

> I think having an IG or FB account is a great way to let their friends know what they’re doing along with family. It also serves to show a nice timeline of a few photos and videos as it is highly unlikely that you’ll ever look at the 1000s of pics and videos taken over the years. For equipment?!?!?! I don’t even know why any junior under the age of 15 would want to stay with one OEM; maybe if you’re good enough to get grinds and fittings at the kingdom, but each OEM has products in its lineup superior to another OEM. If given the choice, I don’t know a single OEM I would outfit my son throughout the entire bag...

I actually use the direct video part of IG to send videos to my son's coach as well. He's an iphone guy while I'm on android so it's not always easy transferring video.

> @iteachgolf said:

> > @leezer99 said:

> > juify6lgz015.jpg

> >

>

> And they can access “private” profiles as well. Private isn’t as private as most think

I can't comment on them viewing private accounts but so many of these private accounts don't actually discriminate on who they accept follows from. Also, if a player on a college team follows you they can easily screen shot and send to the coach. It's also really easy to copy video of stories from a PC. My company's HR team is great at this.

Here is the golden question. If you are giving your under 13 year old (anecdotal point but I say start of high school) an independent IG/Facebook/Twitter account and flooding it with golf videos, photos, and their accomplishments are you doing it for them, family and friends, or for yourself? If the answer is the last there is a big problem. Pride and vanity are two very different things but the line is close. I post quite a bit on my FB but it is rarely talking about his accomplishments, it is instead showing him working hard at his craft and having fun with friends he is making because these are important things for family and friends to see.

> @leezer99 said:

> > @iteachgolf said:

> > > @leezer99 said:

> > > juify6lgz015.jpg

> > >

> >

> > And they can access “private” profiles as well. Private isn’t as private as most think

>

> I can't comment on them viewing private accounts but so many of these private accounts don't actually discriminate on who they accept follows from. Also, if a player on a college team follows you they can easily screen shot and send to the coach. It's also really easy to copy video of stories from a PC. My company's HR team is great at this.

Have heard directly from a coach they use a 3rd party to evaluate social media including private accounts

> @iteachgolf said:

> > @leezer99 said:

> > > @iteachgolf said:

> > > > @leezer99 said:

> > > > juify6lgz015.jpg

> > > >

> > >

> > > And they can access “private” profiles as well. Private isn’t as private as most think

> >

> > I can't comment on them viewing private accounts but so many of these private accounts don't actually discriminate on who they accept follows from. Also, if a player on a college team follows you they can easily screen shot and send to the coach. It's also really easy to copy video of stories from a PC. My company's HR team is great at this.

>

> Have heard directly from a coach they use a 3rd party to evaluate social media including private accounts

When I had a kid getting recruited, in a different sport, that was one of the first things they asked him on the campus tour was whether or not there was anything on social media they should be concerned about. If it is there, they will find it.

New to forum, sorry for honesty. I call it "pimp my kid" for around the age of 11 and under. These parents that "run" the IG are 8 times out of 10 the ones that I want to avoid at tourneys (and in general). I am also not biased, dont care if it is a world champ or a local 3rd placer who's parents only post good shots. All the same. I always tell my kid, when he can beat me up he can do whatever he wants. Until then this millennial parent will not allow it and if he misses out on that new kids golf clothing line sponsorship from Greenland then so be it.

> @zztop32 said:

> New to forum, sorry for honesty. I call it "pimp my kid" for around the age of 11 and under. These parents that "run" the IG are 8 times out of 10 the ones that I want to avoid at tourneys (and in general). I am also not biased, dont care if it is a world champ or a local 3rd placer who's parents only post good shots. All the same. **I always tell my kid, when he can beat me up he can do whatever he wants.** Until then this millennial parent will not allow it and if he misses out on that new kids golf clothing line sponsorship from Greenland then so be it.

Do you have the Airing of Grievances before Festivus at your house?

• Like 1

It's no fun when the rabbit's got the gun.

Nothing wrong with a supervised kid who has social media. If there just posting random stupid or embarrassing stuff you have to stop them. This really means teaching kids and showing them how to post before they even think about an account in middle school (sadly this is when kids learn way to much about social media)

When it comes to golf there is nothing wrong with having them post on social media talking about golf for them to highlight successes or failures. In some cases posting on facebook is good place to preserve pictures. Where I see issues is when parents start to take over and basically act like there a on tour. (even then tour players don't even go that nuts).

> @tiger1873 said:

> Nothing wrong with a supervised kid who has social media. If there just posting random stupid or embarrassing stuff you have to stop them. This really means teaching kids and showing them how to post before they even think about an account in middle school (sadly this is when kids learn way to much about social media)

>

>

> When it comes to golf there is nothing wrong with having them post on social media talking about golf for them to highlight successes or failures. In some cases posting on facebook is good place to preserve pictures. Where I see issues is when parents start to take over and basically act like there a on tour. (even then tour players don't even go that nuts).

I agree with your post. I just dont remember to many posts of failures or real life on social media.

A few thoughts. First, for those holy art thou parents that are so against their kid golfer having a social media account- you are in the minority. Maybe not on the forum here, but everywhere else. I'm not condoning the kid having control of the account and posting random bs.

Also, with regards to recruiters being able to access profiles. If a kid posts something that that hurts their ability to otherwise be recruited then so be it. They probably shouldn't be on a team anyways.