2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Clubhouse Grille (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS ***)

Busy day for us yesterday. It seems any day that DW is off has a full schedule.

Took her car in for service first thing as it has been having sensor fits for a few weeks now. They'll have it until late Wednesday. Met the cleaners at the farm and let them in to give the old house the once over. It just goes to show that there's always work if you're willing to work. This young woman has her own business and she grossed $560 for the day out of which her helper probably got $160. Not a lot of sympathy for those that b*tch about the fact that they can't make a go of it!

From the farm we went out for breakfast and then onto the lawyers office to sign the final papers for the sale of the farm and turn over a key. Now all we have to do is wait for the money to show up.

There always seems to be another shopping excursion to go on, this time for light weight down vests to take with us on our Alaska cruise next month. They'll also come in handy for curling if it's particularly cold and I happen to be vicing or skipping (doubt that will happen, but you never know).

Back home again to meet with the contractor doing the bathroom reno and discuss the issue of the day. There always seems to be something else to figure out that wasn't necessarily anticipated going in. Now I know why I hire out these sorts of jobs and why they make the big bucks. It's dealing with the narly details that would stump an amateur. I even had time to cut the grass. Woo hoo! My work is done for the week!

No golf for me this week, but that's okay. They'll be lots of time to enjoy myself when this is finally done and dusted. The staff tournamant and barbeque is next week; a sure sign that the season is well past the halfway mark.

• Like 1

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

> @scomac2002 said:

> Busy day for us yesterday. It seems any day that DW is off has a full schedule.

>

> Took her car in for service first thing as it has been having sensor fits for a few weeks now. They'll have it until late Wednesday. Met the cleaners at the farm and let them in to give the old house the once over. It just goes to show that there's always work if you're willing to work. This young woman has her own business and she grossed $560 for the day out of which her helper probably got $160. Not a lot of sympathy for those that b*tch about the fact that they can't make a go of it!

>

> From the farm we went out for breakfast and then onto the lawyers office to sign the final papers for the sale of the farm and turn over a key. Now all we have to do is wait for the money to show up.

>

> There always seems to be another shopping excursion to go on, this time for light weight down vests to take with us on our Alaska cruise next month. They'll also come in handy for curling if it's particularly cold and I happen to be vicing or skipping (doubt that will happen, but you never know).

>

> Back home again to meet with the contractor doing the bathroom reno and discuss the issue of the day. There always seems to be something else to figure out that wasn't necessarily anticipated going in. Now I know why I hire out these sorts of jobs and why they make the big bucks. It's dealing with the narly details that would stump an amateur. I even had time to cut the grass. Woo hoo! My work is done for the week!

>

> No golf for me this week, but that's okay. They'll be lots of time to enjoy myself when this is finally done and dusted. The staff tournamant and barbeque is next week; a sure sign that the season is well past the halfway mark.

Lucky you, you seem to have selected well, less to do so more time to rest and enjoy life to the full.

Son being incapacitated cannot cook his own meals etc so the wife and I are looking after him. We usually share the outside jobs such as chain saw and split firewood, cut the grass etc, my jobs for at least the next three months until his physio is finished. DW has had a few bad days so most other jobs are now on my list, lots of cooking, hanging out washing etc. good job my health is holding or we would be in deep ****. No way is he ever going skiing again, his boss has told him no way ever again, at least he can work from home. Off to sleep now, stuffed and getting fit for an extended shopping trip tomorrow.

• Like 2

Way down under in (not New Orleans) Australia.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

Kindly donated by mdgboxx and worn with pride

A definite geezer of some repute, ( I think ).

Got 9 in this morning ,on the dew patrol. It was VERY muggy at 730 am. After 9,we all(5) said that was enough for the day. Cool down starting Thursday,and i'll start the fall golfing then.

My preferred temperature range from 55 to 85.!

Nothing outstanding on todays round, and hit three absolutely terrible shots. All 3 were with 7 iron. Thought the first was just a "miss" and the second was a flub,and after the third,well,

THATS when i decided that 9 was enough for the day,before the flubs became a "THING" !

• Like 2

Certified Orginal Member#2
Outlaw Golf Association
To Heck with the USGA

Walked 14 holes yesterday, still crunching the driver, but everything else was off. Went home, got Penny, and my Dodge neighbor calls, wants to know if I wanted to golf. He seemed so disappointed that I just got home, that I told him I'd drive the cart. So we go off in the Dodge. He got the car back, without any bodywork done, had given the painter $2K, and the guy's giving him excuses. No contract with the bodyman, just a handshake. In a nutshell, neighbor gave him cash, and the bodyman is a moonlighter. Probably out $2K.

I took my driver, adjustable iron, and a couple balls. I ended up playing another nine, for a 44, to Will's 50. Crunched a driver off 4, 30 yards or so, from the green, maybe 270. My neighbor usually outdrove me a few yards, but wild and OB.

Anyhow, averaged much more than my usual 220.

Also. got my permanent caps on Monday, hope I don't have anything like that happen again.

Today, a chiro tune up.

Cheers, guys.

• Like 2

> @Conrad1953 said:

> Not much going on down here in Dixie. It's been hot and

> we've been a chillin.

Chillin is what we should all be doing, we are all getting too long in the tooth to do anything else. Hoping to get in a 9 on Friday that will be a chillin round, whatever happens, happens. Leave it all up to the golf gods.

• Like 2

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

> @billh17 said:

> Got 9 in this morning ,on the dew patrol. It was VERY muggy at 730 am. After 9,we all(5) said that was enough for the day. Cool down starting Thursday,and i'll start the fall golfing then.

> My preferred temperature range from 55 to 85.!

> Nothing outstanding on todays round, and hit three absolutely terrible shots. All 3 were with 7 iron. Thought the first was just a "miss" and the second was a flub,and after the third,well,

> THATS when i decided that 9 was enough for the day,before the flubs became a "THING" !

>

There are definitely times when enough is enough, the secret is being able to recognise when it arrives.

• Like 2

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

It's still hot and muggy up here. I was cutting up boxboard for recycling and the sweat was just running off me! Cooling off with a cold one now. Maybe another if my buddy Dave decides to drive down here and join me.

No golf this week. Still hurtin' for a week now. Not disabling, but uncomfortable. Just suck it up and carry on. I have a physiotherapy appointment tomorrow that I moved ahead a week to see if that makes a difference. Weather related maybe, I don't know. Hope I'm back to normal for next week as the staff tournament and BBQ is on Tuesday.

• Like 1

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

> @scomac2002 said:

> It's still hot and muggy up here. I was cutting up boxboard for recycling and the sweat was just running off me! Cooling off with a cold one now. Maybe another if my buddy Dave decides to drive down here and join me.

>

> No golf this week. Still hurtin' for a week now. Not disabling, but uncomfortable. Just suck it up and carry on. I have a physiotherapy appointment tomorrow that I moved ahead a week to see if that makes a difference. Weather related maybe, I don't know. Hope I'm back to normal for next week as the staff tournament and BBQ is on Tuesday.

>

>

Also having pain problems this last few days, when I damaged my right hand it also pulled very hard on the rest of my arm, this was not too bad for a while but now the damage is starting to hurt. My arm is throbbing most of the time, my hand is stiff and requires plenty of massage to start working, holding a painting brush is difficult, and my shoulder spasms to an extent it jolts my body. Visit planned to the doctor on Monday, hoping the fix is easy, can’t be out of action at present due to son’s broken leg, that is going OK but still several weeks to a final recovery, the break is in a difficult position so the leg cannot be bent for at least six weeks.

Don’t know if golf is still on tomorrow, I may just go to tap my way around the course just because I can.

• Like 1

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

> @tolmij said:

> > @Conrad1953 said:

> > Not much going on down here in Dixie. It's been hot and

> > we've been a chillin.

>

> Chillin is what we should all be doing, we are all getting too long in the tooth to do anything else. Hoping to get in a 9 on Friday that will be a chillin round, whatever happens, happens. Leave it all up to the golf gods.

Ha, you got me thinking about that saying; "getting long in the tooth".

I've heard that a lot and I guess there was a time when that saying

was more true than it is today. I did happen to meet an old fellow

that was long in the tooth once. It was not a pretty sight and I remember

thinking "so that's what that saying is all about......massive gum

recession"......another good reason to floss, floss and floss some

more, lol............right doc?

I've been using floss picks for years and years as I find them much

easier to use than a roll of string.

On a related note; my grandmother on my dad's side was named

Flossie Mae. I'm not kidding......and she never got "long in the tooth".

• Like 1

> @billh17 said:

> @ Wriggs : You're pounding that thing ! Thats a fantastic drive ! You're just trying to get me to try a longer shaft ! Great to see ya hitting them well, my man !

Thank you. You should try it. The performance the longer shaft has given me is just amazing. I'm sure the dry, hard packed fairways account for increased distance, but still, except for a very few times, I never saw anything past 225 or so. I read somewhere that the long shafts are more suited to slower swing speeds. The pros don't play them, due to their 110 mph swings. Like my young Dodge neighbor, Will, you can actually see the shaft bend in his swing. He would probably snap the club shaft that long. He has no idea where the ball is going, but it's really out there. If he straightens it out, probably well over 300 yards, now 270 or so.

With not trimming the 46" shaft, and adding the extra length of the adapter and the club lie, I'll bet my club is around 48" total. Measured from where the shaft bolts to the club, 47 1/2". Possibly total, an illegal club a little over 48".

It is unbelievable, the performance I'm getting. I'm curious to see how much carry I'll get with soggy fairways. Last Spring, I wasn't getting 200 yards, more like 180.

On the Dodge issue, my neighbor asked me help him get the car back to the guy for painting this Saturday. Hope the car gets painted.

I'd suggest everyone try the 46" shafts. Can't hurt anything. Buy an el cheapo, and try it. I bought an extra shaft from RBG for $13. A Matrix, Ozik 7.1, supposed to be discounted from $149.95, yeah, sure. BUT, a pretty good shaft, in my opinion.

Play well.

• Like 2

> @Wriggles said:

> > @billh17 said:

> > @ Wriggs : You're pounding that thing ! Thats a fantastic drive ! You're just trying to get me to try a longer shaft ! Great to see ya hitting them well, my man !

> Thank you. You should try it. The performance the longer shaft has given me is just amazing. I'm sure the dry, hard packed fairways account for increased distance, but still, except for a very few times, I never saw anything past 225 or so. I read somewhere that the long shafts are more suited to slower swing speeds. The pros don't play them, due to their 110 mph swings. Like my young Dodge neighbor, Will, you can actually see the shaft bend in his swing. He would probably snap the club shaft that long. He has no idea where the ball is going, but it's really out there. If he straightens it out, probably well over 300 yards, now 270 or so.

> With not trimming the 46" shaft, and adding the extra length of the adapter and the club lie, I'll bet my club is around 48" total. Measured from where the shaft bolts to the club, 47 1/2". Possibly total, an illegal club a little over 48".

> It is unbelievable, the performance I'm getting. I'm curious to see how much carry I'll get with soggy fairways. Last Spring, I wasn't getting 200 yards, more like 180.

> On the Dodge issue, my neighbor asked me help him get the car back to the guy for painting this Saturday. Hope the car gets painted.

> I'd suggest everyone try the 46" shafts. Can't hurt anything. Buy an el cheapo, and try it. I bought an extra shaft from RBG for $13. A Matrix, Ozik 7.1, supposed to be discounted from $149.95, yeah, sure. BUT, a pretty good shaft, in my opinion.

> Play well.

>

>

Wow Wriggs, I thought you were playing a 46" length club; didn't

realize the shaft alone was 46".....to make it a total 48"?

There was a girl on the LPGA playing a 48" driver; don't remember

who it was but I don't think she was anywhere near as tall as you.

I think for tall guys like you, also with a high wrist to floor measure,

the longer shaft works. For most I would think their swing plane

might have to be too flat and the club too difficult to control. I could

be wrong, lol, as I have been before.

• Like 1

> @Conrad1953 said:

> > @Wriggles said:

> > > @billh17 said:

> > > @ Wriggs : You're pounding that thing ! Thats a fantastic drive ! You're just trying to get me to try a longer shaft ! Great to see ya hitting them well, my man !

> > Thank you. You should try it. The performance the longer shaft has given me is just amazing. I'm sure the dry, hard packed fairways account for increased distance, but still, except for a very few times, I never saw anything past 225 or so. I read somewhere that the long shafts are more suited to slower swing speeds. The pros don't play them, due to their 110 mph swings. Like my young Dodge neighbor, Will, you can actually see the shaft bend in his swing. He would probably snap the club shaft that long. He has no idea where the ball is going, but it's really out there. If he straightens it out, probably well over 300 yards, now 270 or so.

> > With not trimming the 46" shaft, and adding the extra length of the adapter and the club lie, I'll bet my club is around 48" total. Measured from where the shaft bolts to the club, 47 1/2". Possibly total, an illegal club a little over 48".

> > It is unbelievable, the performance I'm getting. I'm curious to see how much carry I'll get with soggy fairways. Last Spring, I wasn't getting 200 yards, more like 180.

> > On the Dodge issue, my neighbor asked me help him get the car back to the guy for painting this Saturday. Hope the car gets painted.

> > I'd suggest everyone try the 46" shafts. Can't hurt anything. Buy an el cheapo, and try it. I bought an extra shaft from RBG for $13. A Matrix, Ozik 7.1, supposed to be discounted from $149.95, yeah, sure. BUT, a pretty good shaft, in my opinion.

> > Play well.

> >

> >

>

> Wow Wriggs, I thought you were playing a 46" length club; didn't

> realize the shaft alone was 46".....to make it a total 48"?

>

> There was a girl on the LPGA playing a 48" driver; don't remember

> who it was but I don't think she was anywhere near as tall as you.

>

> I think for tall guys like you, also with a high wrist to floor measure,

> the longer shaft works. For most I would think their swing plane

> might have to be too flat and the club too difficult to control. I could

> be wrong, lol, as I have been before.

48” for me I would be looking up at the grip.

• Like 2

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

got a nice 42 in today. No really ugly ducklings but a few greens missed. Saved par on two of them. Was a nice afternoon after all the 97* and 104 heat index we have had the last two weeks. Had a down pour early am but the ground was starving for water and soaked it up sponge-like.the missus is going to go with me tomorrow. She probably wont play...but she can drive the cart. Hoping she can start playing again soon.

With all else happening, the drainage ditch i had to redo and shore up after the last monsoons we had,passed the test in that heavy rain this am. I spent three solid days on that ditch.

Digging...pulling the old anklebusters out and resetting them,adding new ones with them...and

then having new gravel down after the grading was done. Worked nicely. I am patting this old man on the back !

• Like 2

Outlaw Golf Association
To Heck with the USGA

> @tolmij said:

> > @Conrad1953 said:

> > > @Wriggles said:

> > > > @billh17 said:

> > > > @ Wriggs : You're pounding that thing ! Thats a fantastic drive ! You're just trying to get me to try a longer shaft ! Great to see ya hitting them well, my man !

> > > Thank you. You should try it. The performance the longer shaft has given me is just amazing. I'm sure the dry, hard packed fairways account for increased distance, but still, except for a very few times, I never saw anything past 225 or so. I read somewhere that the long shafts are more suited to slower swing speeds. The pros don't play them, due to their 110 mph swings. Like my young Dodge neighbor, Will, you can actually see the shaft bend in his swing. He would probably snap the club shaft that long. He has no idea where the ball is going, but it's really out there. If he straightens it out, probably well over 300 yards, now 270 or so.

> > > With not trimming the 46" shaft, and adding the extra length of the adapter and the club lie, I'll bet my club is around 48" total. Measured from where the shaft bolts to the club, 47 1/2". Possibly total, an illegal club a little over 48".

> > > It is unbelievable, the performance I'm getting. I'm curious to see how much carry I'll get with soggy fairways. Last Spring, I wasn't getting 200 yards, more like 180.

> > > On the Dodge issue, my neighbor asked me help him get the car back to the guy for painting this Saturday. Hope the car gets painted.

> > > I'd suggest everyone try the 46" shafts. Can't hurt anything. Buy an el cheapo, and try it. I bought an extra shaft from RBG for $13. A Matrix, Ozik 7.1, supposed to be discounted from $149.95, yeah, sure. BUT, a pretty good shaft, in my opinion.

> > > Play well.

> > >

> > >

> >

> > Wow Wriggs, I thought you were playing a 46" length club; didn't

> > realize the shaft alone was 46".....to make it a total 48"?

> >

> > There was a girl on the LPGA playing a 48" driver; don't remember

> > who it was but I don't think she was anywhere near as tall as you.

> >

> > I think for tall guys like you, also with a high wrist to floor measure,

> > the longer shaft works. For most I would think their swing plane

> > might have to be too flat and the club too difficult to control. I could

> > be wrong, lol, as I have been before.

>

> 48” for me I would be looking up at the grip.

LOLOL Tol.......good one. I always enjoy a little humor.

• Like 1

And I've been remiss when taking a little posting break last week....

congrats to Noah on another club championship!

What a grinder he must be to come back like that and grind out

a 1 shot victory. Too bad you can't bottle up moxie like that and

sell it...............make a small fortune.

Congrats Scotee; the whole family must be very proud of him.

• Like 1

> @billh17 said:

> got a nice 42 in today. No really ugly ducklings but a few greens missed. Saved par on two of them. Was a nice afternoon after all the 97* and 104 heat index we have had the last two weeks. Had a down pour early am but the ground was starving for water and soaked it up sponge-like.the missus is going to go with me tomorrow. She probably wont play...but she can drive the cart. Hoping she can start playing again soon.

> With all else happening, the drainage ditch i had to redo and shore up after the last monsoons we had,passed the test in that heavy rain this am. I spent three solid days on that ditch.

> Digging...pulling the old anklebusters out and resetting them,adding new ones with them...and

> then having new gravel down after the grading was done. Worked nicely. I am patting this old man on the back !

Digging ditches?? For three days?? My man, you're suppose to have people for that. You're retired. Not suppose to be performing hard labor. Anyhow, a virtual pat on the back for tackling the job and getting it done.

Teed off around 8:20 with the bud's group on Wednesday in a pretty heavy fog. Thickest I've ever played into. Surprised that they let us go off. We had thunderstorms around for most of the night, the air was still laden with moisture, ground was very wet with dew. Could only see out maybe 150 yards. Made one focus on hitting a straight drive, because if you sprayed it, likely wouldn't find your ball. Our foursome lost a couple. We were playing a new course and none of us knew the lay of the land. Putts created a "rooster tail" as there was so much water on the greens. Was like this for the first 4 holes until the fog began to lift. Interesting to say the least, hitting second shots into greens that one could barely see.

Actually played rather well those first few holes, in the fog. IIRC, was +1 in the stretch. Then the fog lifted. And my game reverted back to the norm (i.e. began to get sloppy). Bad second shots, bladed irons, etc. I don't know what this means, perhaps there's a lesson contained within. Focus? Maybe I should always play in the fog. Be in a fog.

Interesting on this long driver discussion. The prior D in service for the last few years was 45". I choked down on it a bit, likely making the effective playing length about 44.5" and took my customary stance and position to the teed ball. Where I did not feel like I was reaching for it. Seem to generally drive the ball pretty good. Not the longest, but generally kept it in play. The new D is spec'd at 45.75" (although I measure it at 45.5". Ping has a way of measuring differently sometimes, .25" is not significant.) And I've been taking my usual stance and position without thinking about it. And choking down on the handle. Yesterday, measured where I was gripping the handle. Was choking down 1", right around the 44.5" I was use to. My driving of the ball has been really good lately. Distance and accuracy. I've not wanted to change a thing. Haven't "twirled the dial" on the hosel, not even wanting to change the grip to the one I typically use. IDK what it means other than you don't mess around with what is working. I fully subscribe to the "it's the Indian and not the arrow" theory. But this G400 Max is the best driver I've ever played. Don't even notice all the turbulator business going on the crown anymore.

Lastly. Noticed one of the buds playing a new wedge around greens. Finally asked him what he had there. He'd picked up one of those Cally Sure-Outs with the really wide sole. Was a 62* IIRC. He let me try it a couple of times while playing. To short and had a graphite shaft, but I made a couple of flops and touchy shots with it rather nicely. Although the loft was a bit much. This, combined with the "Wedge Guy" discussions on bounce and sole width and reading about the new Cleveland CBX2 wedge got me to thinking. Remembered that I had an old Snake Eyes SW (56* / 12*, 1.25" wide sole) with a Rifle "Spinner" shaft that I had built a number of years ago stashed away in inventory. Put it back into service and it's been something of a revelation. My around the greens shots have improved. The bladed SW ones have disappeared. Began to trust letting the club do all the work by simply dropping the club down on the ball and releasing through. (Plus, a small amount of yard practice). I'm still carrying the 56* Cleveland I had been using, very good out of the sand. Not so much with other shots from grass. WTS, by short game has seen some improvement of late and gaining confidence. Think I'm finally moving beyond the short game "yips" I've been afflicted with for far to long. At least that's the trend line I'm currently experiencing.

Plus, I've got a couple chipping tips from a bud (the best one in our circle) and have settled in with using an 8 iron for most all greenside chips. And I putt the ball from well off the green whenever I can. Somehow have discovered this "pop" putting stoke that I use when the ball is down in thicker greenside grass. Sorta hops the ball out and gets it rolling towards the hole. Don't really know how I do it other than I can. Sorta just chop down on the ball, even with wielding the heavy fanged mallet.

Then Play On boys, whenever you can.

• Like 2

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

Great stuff @Fellaheen51 ! I like hearing about all my golfmates progress with their games even though i'm not playing as much as I might. My focus is elsewhere at the moment and most likely will continue to be tying up loose ends on the sale and then finishing up the renovation and mulling over future steps with the jungle outside. Today I will be delivering a few household items to a local consignment store in town that trades in home furnishings. We seem to be blending into our new surroundings quite nicely.

What a difference being in a small town versus the big city attitude when dealing with municipal employees. We took a small load of hazardous waste items, mostly paint to the transfer station and were put through the ringer as they claimed we were commercial due to having a trailer attached to my BIL's car. It took an hour and a half to get rid of the stuff and he went over the scale about a half dozen times as he was instructed to go from station to station. No wonder people digs holes and bury the stuff! Conversely, I took 4 boxes of mixed materials -- pool chemicals, spray paint, insecticide and veterinary products to the town's transfer station and was allowed to drop off the whole lot in one location hassle free and without charge. She even welcomed me as a new resident!

• Like 2

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Probably worth a second post as this is a bit of a rant when it comes to hiring people to do jobs.

Our move would not have been possible without the help of a lot of contractors to get the various jobs done. Some have been good, some not so much. All have come with glowing recommendations. Perhaps the least suitable have been those that were recommended by our realestate agent, but this hasn't become apparent until the work of the last week or so. The problem seems to revlove around having people do work without supervision.

Cleaning the house was a big job as it's an old farm house and we've been in it for over 20 years. We hired two women to come in and clean. The O/O decided that the job could be done in a day. Turns out it couldn't because they were there for 9 hours and still left thinsgs undone. Of course I paid her before i went to check the work as she lives about 15 minutes from our current location whereas the farm is 45 minutes away. WE will go on Sunday and finish up what she missed. I haven't called her on it, but I did tell the agent we weren't satisfied.

The same applies to the junk guys who came in last fall and did a major clean-up which I was very satisfied with. I had them back last week to do the final clean-up. He warned me when he called after he had sent me the bill that they didn't get the basement swept up. I wasn't planning on paying him to come back to do that, but what he neglected to tell me was that he left a couple of bins full of junk behind while charging me for a half load. This one I'm calling on because I have paid hima helluva lot of money and he can bloody well come back and finish the job!

• Like 2

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

@ Fella: I would love to have paid someone to do that ditch work,but around here, they want your house and first born child to get anything done ! Besides, I am like one of the grumpy old men,in that i wanted it done correctly so i decided to do it myself. I may not be a contractor,but i figured out where the water was bridging the ditch, and worked from there. Course,since there were 3 inch deep ruts from there ,down the drive,i had a pretty good hint as to where to start ! Have known the grader guy a long time and he gives a good finish on his work. Super happy to have it done and the downpour showed it to be working good !

@ Scomac: Small towns always seem friendlier and more out going to me. Hope you continue

to have good experiences !

• Like 2

Outlaw Golf Association
To Heck with the USGA

I like the small town lifestyle. Our town is not super small but

small enough (pop 5,000) to feel small to us yet big enough to

have most everything we need, and in a very convenient way.

Hard to beat IMO. I've lived in the suburbs of big metro areas

all my life until we moved here. I've been all over the country

and the burbs look the same no matter where you are, i.e.,

housing tracts and national chain stores and restaurants....

and traffic, lots of traffic.

I'm not knocking the suburban lifestyle as it has it's benefits

but I've grown to appreciate the laid back lifestyle of small

town living and at this stage in my life it just suits me better.

• Like 1

> @billh17 said:

> @ Fella: I would love to have paid someone to do that ditch work,but around here, they want your house and first born child to get anything done ! Besides, I am like one of the grumpy old men,in that i wanted it done correctly so i decided to do it myself.

My dad used to say, “Why pay for incompetence when you can do it yourself and have it for free?”

• Like 2

> @scomac2002 said:

> Probably worth a second post as this is a bit of a rant when it comes to hiring people to do jobs.

>

> Our move would not have been possible without the help of a lot of contractors to get the various jobs done. Some have been good, some not so much. All have come with glowing recommendations. Perhaps the least suitable have been those that were recommended by our realestate agent, but this hasn't become apparent until the work of the last week or so. The problem seems to revlove around having people do work without supervision.

>

> Cleaning the house was a big job as it's an old farm house and we've been in it for over 20 years. We hired two women to come in and clean. The O/O decided that the job could be done in a day. Turns out it couldn't because they were there for 9 hours and still left thinsgs undone. Of course I paid her before i went to check the work as she lives about 15 minutes from our current location whereas the farm is 45 minutes away. WE will go on Sunday and finish up what she missed. I haven't called her on it, but I did tell the agent we weren't satisfied.

>

> The same applies to the junk guys who came in last fall and did a major clean-up which I was very satisfied with. I had them back last week to do the final clean-up. He warned me when he called after he had sent me the bill that they didn't get the basement swept up. I wasn't planning on paying him to come back to do that, but what he neglected to tell me was that he left a couple of bins full of junk behind while charging me for a half load. This one I'm calling on because I have paid hima helluva lot of money and he can bloody well come back and finish the job!

Comment on both of your posts. Our waste facilities keep changing the rules, you never know when they are going to refuse something at our local one and make you go to the main facility.

Tradesmen, I only use them when legally required to do so and even then with plumbing which is restricted I always do my own. The only one we do not touch now is the power, but in the UK I fully rewired our first house then had someone check it for safety. With the power we have a local electrician that give us all special rates and only lives two minutes walk from our house.

When we have had houses built we have always been on site almost as often as the construction crew, our last one on the finishing off week DW almost lived there and it was a good job as many items were not satisfactory. At one stage they completely ignored the drawings and started putting in walls etc that we did not want, in one room they had to remove a full length clothes closet that was not asked for, when we commented he said don’t keep changing your mind, so we showed him HIS drawing and asked him to point out where these items were, he still would not agree so we phoned his boss and sorted it out. The day before we moved in on one house we found our cooker in the middle of the kitchen, the cabinet fitters had put them too close together and so there was not enough room, we had to insist everyone came back that day and fix it, they did but very reluctantly.

As you can see it’s not just Canada but generally in most so called civilised countries, I never use a tradesman if I can avoid it.

• Like 2

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

On a different subject, lunch today.

Pork chop, marinated in brine for 24hrs, dipped in spices and shallow fried, sweet potato, boiled and caramelised in olive oil in hot pan. Crispy bacon cooked pineapple French beans and a sweet corn relish.

gybdpnnfx6t9.jpeg

• Like 1

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

It has been a while since you've shared one of your foodie photos @tolmij . I take it that is your son's leg in the photo. You'll have to remind him that you're keeping track and the room service here is much better than at the hospital! :D

• Like 2

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

DW and I went out on a date last night. That's the first time we've done that since we moved here. She belongs to the wine club at one of the local wineries and we went there for a seminar featuring heirloom tomatoes and wine pairings. I always enjoy these things as the food tasters are always interesting and delicious. I used to take the wine tasting more serious, but i could never sense half the stuff that the instructors were talking about, so now I take a sip or two and either I like it or I don't. If asked to explain why I will keep it simple.

We were sitting beside a couple of women and they were going on and on about what they were tasting and how this went so well with that, blah, blah, blah. That seemed pretty typical for the crowd and the winery folk who were leading the session. Keep in mind that many are getting on the antique side that attend these sessions as I looked around the room and felt young. It's funny how you can size a bunch of strangers up just by how they stand and move. That poor guy has back trouble; oh there's another! Man it hurts just looking at that poor woman!

The problem with these sorts of tasting sessions is that you don't get enough to eat, so you're looking for something to fill the void as you make your way home. We knew just the place.

About 10 minutes down the road is another winery of less noted reputation. Perhaps the biggest thing going for this place is that it's owned by a national sports broadcasting personality and he runs the winery more like a sports bar. It's kinda neat if you're not a wine snob. Every Friday in June, July and August they do an event called Firepit Fridays featuring Avella brick oven pizza. This is the same guy who catered to our son's wedding at the farm last year. Just a solid dude with the best pies around! The crowd is deicdedly younger and rather than chamber music you get to hear The Tragically Hip or any of the other popular Canadian R&R groups played on the sound system as we sit around the fires just like at the cottage. It's a very cool vibe while enjoying a glass of Doug Gilmour Red and a slice of Son of a Peach -- peach, proscuitto, goat cheese and balsamic -- pizza which is my personal favourite. My kinda spot really as there are no BS and heirs being spread here.

• Like 1

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

> @scomac2002 said:

> DW and I went out on a date last night. That's the first time we've done that since we moved here. She belongs to the wine club at one of the local wineries and we went there for a seminar featuring heirloom tomatoes and wine pairings. I always enjoy these things as the food tasters are always interesting and delicious. I used to take the wine tasting more serious, but i could never sense half the stuff that the instructors were talking about, so now I take a sip or two and either I like it or I don't. If asked to explain why I will keep it simple.

>

> We were sitting beside a couple of women and they were going on and on about what they were tasting and how this went so well with that, blah, blah, blah. That seemed pretty typical for the crowd and the winery folk who were leading the session. Keep in mind that many are getting on the antique side that attend these sessions as I looked around the room and felt young. It's funny how you can size a bunch of strangers up just by how they stand and move. That poor guy has back trouble; oh there's another! Man it hurts just looking at that poor woman!

>

> The problem with these sorts of tasting sessions is that you don't get enough to eat, so you're looking for something to fill the void as you make your way home. We knew just the place.

>

> About 10 minutes down the road is another winery of less noted reputation. Perhaps the biggest thing going for this place is that it's owned by a national sports broadcasting personality and he runs the winery more like a sports bar. It's kinda neat if you're not a wine snob. Every Friday in June, July and August they do an event called Firepit Fridays featuring Avella brick oven pizza. This is the same guy who catered to our son's wedding at the farm last year. Just a solid dude with the best pies around! The crowd is deicdedly younger and rather than chamber music you get to hear The Tragically Hip or any of the other popular Canadian R&R groups played on the sound system as we sit around the fires just like at the cottage. It's a very cool vibe while enjoying a glass of Doug Gilmour Red and a slice of Son of a Peach -- peach, proscuitto, goat cheese and balsamic -- pizza which is my personal favourite. My kinda spot really as there are no BS and heirs being spread here.

That sounds like a fantastic pizza, coming up to peach season over here so will give it a try. I am with you on wine tasting, I either like it or not, listened to some of the bull given by the experts and I agree I can never taste the things they say are there. We always have a good selection of wine at home, usually look round for specials and buy up big, son has a wine fridge that is usually full, holds around four dozen bottles,he normally pays up to $50 for a good vintage.

Have not been on a date for quite a while but only this week we have started looking into a days river cruise and lunch aboard, will do it soon. Golf was put off yesterday as my right shoulder has deteriorated quite drastically, doctors appointment on Monday so we will see what happens.

That is son’s leg under the table, his broken one, next week he has an appointment with the orthopaedic doctor to assess the healing to date, we are hoping he will be into the recovery exercise period very soon, not getting any younger and the extra work is now getting to me a little, DW has back problems so that is another factor to consider.

Stay safe Grillers, and have a drink on me, send the tab to DW.?

• Like 2

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

• GwrxMod changed the title to Clubhouse Grille (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS ***)