Wife needs a new car... suggestions?

Mych

Wife and I haven't car-shopped in a while so I'm looking for recommendations.

She's currently driving a 2008 Volvo XC90 that has been great (200k miles) and I'm currently driving a 2013 Sonata hybrid (both bought new). We've loved not having a payment for the last couple years and have two teenagers with college around the corner, so we don't really want to jump back into another $40K+ car. Wifey is also starting a different job that will require her to commute a little longer, so we knew that her car would eventually need to be replaced... well today we got a $3600 quote for two repairs that need to be done on her Volvo, so I think that money is better spent on a replacement.

She's used to the high vantage-point and spaciousness of a midsize SUV, so I don't think I'll be able to talk her into anything tiny just for the sake of safety or gas mileage.

Wish list:

Good safety ratings

Good gas mileage (30ish mpg)

Reliable, brand known for quality... she hated when I bought my Hyundai, she still considers it a junk-car brand because it was the last time she shopped for a car in 2009

Under $30k new or lightly used (max 3 years old, 50k miles)... or even better if it can be found still under warranty in the $20k range.

Bells/whistles that didn't exist 10 years ago like cameras, bluetooth... bonus points for collision avoidance or parking-assist.

Thoughts? I've kinda steered her toward the Honda CRV. I've seen a couple almost new 2019's listed in the $22k range, which I think will be hard to beat. But if anyone has ideas I'd love to hear some.

"Of all the hazards, fear is the worst" - Sam Snead
WITB: PXG 0311 ~ Ping Anser 4w @16.5 ~ Cobra F6 Baffler @18.5 ~ Titleist T300 4-P ~ Titleist Vokey 48, 54, 58 ~ Cleveland HB 8

Hard to beat the CRV. I recently sold my '06 BMW X5, and bought a '14 CRV with only 29k on it. I needed a '14 or old because I plan to tow it behind an RV, and the newer models can't be flat towed. Otherwise I would have picked up a slightly newer one. The Kia Sportage and Hyundai Tucson or Sante Fe Sport looked decent.

• Like 1

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Go find a relatively new car that's coming off a low-mileage lease. Last year, I bought my wife a 2015 Acura TLX with 27k miles on it. Might as well be new for an Acura, certainly drives like it's new. In absolute perfect condition. $45k new, got it for less than half that at $22k. Cost an extra couple grand to get a lifetime warranty. Given that Acuras will do 200k miles without breaking a sweat and it's not driven a ton (we both work from home), that was well worth it. The low price/low mileage/short term leases are so prevalent now that it's easy to find something along those lines. They had a few RDX with similar mileage for a little more money, but we're at a point in life where we don't need the SUV any more.

PS: If you haven't driven an Acura, and you're a fan of Honda, give it a try. You're in for an amazing treat. The TLX is a rocket ship. I've got an '08 Mustang GT with a stage 1 dynatune and upgraded exhaust, puts out almost 400 HP, and the Acura is very close in performance.

I think my wife and I are going to get a Toyota Highlander. I was looking at used XLE’s and Limiteds in your mileage and price range. But they have some deals with 0% financing right now so we are entertaining a new one. We have driven them and both liked it.

A lot of the XLE’s come with leather, heated seats, navigation, moonroof, 3rd row etc. It lacks a few features such as apple car play and birds eye view that some of the competition has, but I feel like it will hold up well for our family the next 5-7 years or hopefully longer.

Our needs are a little different than yours as we have a new child. I don’t see us using the 3rd row that much for now but we need the extra storage that 3rd row suvs have with the seats folded down. We took my outback on a recent trip and it was doable but a little tight with all the baby gear and a dog.

We also looked at the Traverse that was ok, and are coming from an Lexus NX which has been great except I personally hate the very busy entertainment console and “mousepad” controller. The Highlander XLE has the nicer features my wife likes, and the space, safety and reliability ratings that I want.

If you don’t need that extra room then I wouldn’t hesitate to look at 2015-2019 Subaru Outback or Forester. I feel like Subaru was ahead of the curve in those years for the features you got at that price point. My 2015 has been great, I looked at a lot cars and it just felt far more solidly built than anything else I looked at in that price range. I average around 28mpg. You could find a used Lexus NX or Acura RDX in your range as well.

Good luck, let us know what you find.

> @padget said:

> If you don’t need that extra room then I wouldn’t hesitate to look at 2015-2019 Subaru Outback or Forester. I feel like Subaru was ahead of the curve in those years for the features you got at that price point. My 2015 has been great, I looked at a lot cars and it just felt far more solidly built than anything else I looked at in that price range. I average around 28mpg. You could find a used Lexus NX or Acura RDX in your range as well.

> Good luck, let us know what you find.

Thanks... we went to get a quote on her car at Carmax last night and did a litte looking. She liked the Lexus NX, but I think she liked the RX a little more so the budget might have to expand a little. She also liked the Audi Q5 which surprised me because it looked a little smaller in person than I expected. I also know that she hates the idea of having to use premium gas. I think the RX's can take regular, but the NX and Q5 both take premium. Minor detail, but it's one of those things that could bug her for years. She's a therapist, so I think there's a vanity aspect as well. She wants something that "fits" in the doctor's parking lot. Golfers change clubs for vanity all the time, so I guess it's understandable but I never factored that into the searches that I did for her.

She barely even walked the other rows of cars... our checkbook might be in for some trouble. Champange tastes on a Kool Aid budget.

WITB: PXG 0311 ~ Ping Anser 4w @16.5 ~ Cobra F6 Baffler @18.5 ~ Titleist T300 4-P ~ Titleist Vokey 48, 54, 58 ~ Cleveland HB 8

> @Mych said:

> > @padget said:

> > If you don’t need that extra room then I wouldn’t hesitate to look at 2015-2019 Subaru Outback or Forester. I feel like Subaru was ahead of the curve in those years for the features you got at that price point. My 2015 has been great, I looked at a lot cars and it just felt far more solidly built than anything else I looked at in that price range. I average around 28mpg. You could find a used Lexus NX or Acura RDX in your range as well.

> > Good luck, let us know what you find.

> Thanks... we went to get a quote on her car at Carmax last night and did a litte looking. She liked the Lexus NX, but I think she liked the RX a little more so the budget might have to expand a little. She also liked the Audi Q5 which surprised me because it looked a little smaller in person than I expected. I also know that she hates the idea of having to use premium gas. I think the RX's can take regular, but the NX and Q5 both take premium. Minor detail, but it's one of those things that could bug her for years. She's a therapist, so I think there's a vanity aspect as well. She wants something that "fits" in the doctor's parking lot. Golfers change clubs for vanity all the time, so I guess it's understandable but I never factored that into the searches that I did for her.

>

> She barely even walked the other rows of cars... our checkbook might be in for some trouble. Champange tastes on a Kool Aid budget.

Check out Cargurus.com. Pretty good site to gauge pricing and find a car. I only look at dealerships that have decent ratings and avoid the car shipping services (carvana).

We sold our wife’s car at Carmax as well, they beat the local dealer by $1000 and it was a super easy transaction. They have decent deals as well, you can get a better deal if you look around, but you won’t get hosed by them either. I used to be in the car business and have done some lighting work for the local one and was impressed with their operation.

You had good luck with the XC90. Did you consider the XC60? Used '16's with <30k miles can be found in the $30,000 price range.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

> @Argonne69 said:

> You had good luck with the XC90. Did you consider the XC60? Used '16's with <30k miles can be found in the $30,000 price range.

>

One of her options is a slightly younger XC90. Hers is an 2008 with 200k mi. There's a super clean 2011 with 60k miles down the road from us priced at $12k. Looks like it's been garage kept and barely driven. Super clean inside, interior isn't faded, and we'd buy it cash and not worry about a payment. They didn't change the body style until about 2015, so that model doesn't look "old" yet. With 60k miles on it she could easily get a few years before she'd have to make a decision.

I think she feels like that's just kicking the can down the road and not really accomplishing anything. For me, that would be an easy one to pull the trigger on... but.... it's not me.

She has looked at the XC60's a little, but I don't think she was in love with them.

> @Mych said:

> > @Argonne69 said:

> > You had good luck with the XC90. Did you consider the XC60? Used '16's with <30k miles can be found in the $30,000 price range.

> >

> One of her options is a slightly younger XC90. Hers is an 2008 with 200k mi. There's a super clean 2011 with 60k miles down the road from us priced at $12k. Looks like it's been garage kept and barely driven. Super clean inside, interior isn't faded, and we'd buy it cash and not worry about a payment. They didn't change the body style until about 2015, so that model doesn't look "old" yet. With 60k miles on it she could easily get a few years before she'd have to make a decision.

>

> I think she feels like that's just kicking the can down the road and not really accomplishing anything. For me, that would be an easy one to pull the trigger on... but.... it's not me.

>

> She has looked at the XC60's a little, but I don't think she was in love with them.

Well... update... the XC60 is back in the running, lol. It's going to at least get a test drive tonight.

> @Laznasty said:

> Check out the Lexus RX. I still regret selling mine.

That's on the list of cars she wants to test drive.

> @Mych said:

> She's used to the high vantage-point and spaciousness of a midsize SUV, so I don't think I'll be able to talk her into anything tiny just for the sake of safety or gas mileage.

>

> Wish list:

> Good safety ratings

> Good gas mileage (30ish mpg)

> Reliable, brand known for quality... she hated when I bought my Hyundai, she still considers it a junk-car brand because it was the last time she shopped for a car in 2009

> Under $30k new or lightly used (max 3 years old, 50k miles)... or even better if it can be found still under warranty in the $20k range.

> Bells/whistles that didn't exist 10 years ago like cameras, bluetooth... bonus points for collision avoidance or parking-assist.

>

> Thoughts? I've kinda steered her toward the Honda CRV. I've seen a couple almost new 2019's listed in the $22k range, which I think will be hard to beat. But if anyone has ideas I'd love to hear some.

No wife goes quietly from a Volvo to a freakin’ Honda. There are no cars that satisfy these criteria. Open your wallet and get a Toyota 4Runner. Beyond that...BMW X3.

Well, the search didn't take her long. She test drove a Volvo XC60 and said it "felt like home".

2015 XC60 T5 Premier Plus (loaded), white w/black interior

24/31 mpg

55k miles in great condition

$17,500 ($45k original sticker)

Her new (to her) baby...

pqu7gepye778.jpg

> @padget said:

> Wow, solid deal. Congrats on the new ride.

Thanks! Happy wife, and I get to play golf tomorrow instead of car shopping all weekend. Mission accomplished!

Very nice. If the XC60 could be flat towed it would be near the top of my list.

My last four vehicles were all low mileage used vehicles. Two were purchased from a dealer, one from CarMax, and one was bought sight unseen from Ebay. All gave me years of (mostly) trouble free driving at a fraction of the price of a new vehicle. Certainly any unscheduled repairs was a fraction of the cost savings.

> @Mych said:

> Well, the search didn't take her long. She test drove a Volvo XC60 and said it "felt like home".

>

> 2015 XC60 T5 Premier Plus (loaded), white w/black interior

> 24/31 mpg

> 55k miles in great condition

> $17,500 ($45k original sticker)

>

That is a nice deal!

My wife drives a 2010 XC70 T6. I love that car. Cavernous inside, some of the most comfortable seats in the history of azz, and the T6 is PROPERLY quick.

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

PXG 0211 8i - SW….+3” or Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle