Anyone made an albatross?

HonestPlayer

I was 18, so 33 years back. 243 out uphill. 523 yard hole. Holed a persimmon Mac 3 wood, using a Maxfli DDH. Didn't make an ace until 2012.

The twin got me a trophy, still kicking around somewhere

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 3w 15.1* GD AD IZ 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x 

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping i210 6i & s55 7i - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*ES, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

I made one in the city amateur championship 2 years ago, hit a good drive and knocked it in from 200 out with a 5 iron to a front pin. Actually wasn't hit all that great but was right online. Unfortunately I was 11 over for the round prior to that.

Titleist TSi3 10* TPO 1K 60-TX
Titleist 917F3 15* VA Composite Drago 75-X
Titleist TSr3 19* Ventus Black 10-TX
Mizuno MP-20 4-9 PX 6.5

Mizuno T20 47-07 PX 6.5

Mizuno T22 52-09 56-10 PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 60-04T PX Wedge 6.5
Special Select Squareback 2 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 1.0

ProV1x

2 years ago, at my son’s tennis team fund raiser. 225 up hill, didn’t see it go in but was flushed. Got to the green and could see the ball sticking out of the hole trapped against the flag! fw0fqnddmkwo.jpeg

WITB

Titleist TSR3 - HZRDUS Black

Stealth+ 2.0 at 16 degrees

G430 7 wood, flat minus 1.5

Ping I210's (again)

Glide 4.0 48, 53, 58

Ping Anser PLD

Pro V1X 

Bag - Hoofer Lite

> @RickK said:

> I am almost 73 years old. Been playing since I was 22, so for 51 years. Last year I made my first ever double eagle. 2nd shot on par 5...212 out. Blind shot up over a hill. We looked for the ball in front bunker, in rough, and I was about to head back to hit again as I thought the ball was lost. One of the guys yelled at me as I was getting in the cart "You hitting a Callaway with green dots?"

Totally awesome, but I gotta say as a golfer of similar years in the game, "double eagle" grinds my gears. Given your golfing experience, any idea when the term started being used in America? Any idea when it will stop?

I have two. First one was about 18 years ago. Old course at Walton Heath in a tournament. Made a 2 on the 8th hole. Uphill par 5. Holes a 5 iron. Then didn’t even make par on that hole the next six or seven times I played it.

Second one was last year at Bethpage Black 7th hole. Driver and a 3 iron from 202. Saw this one go in. Was pretty incredible. Shot was arrow straight the whole way. It was right in front of the flag rolling on the green and from 200 yards away I thought it had a chance. Then the ball disappeared. My reaction was a very excited “I think that went in!!!”

Ping G400 LST 9° Diamana white 63x
Ping G410 LST 3 wood Diamana Thump x
Srixon ZX Utility 19 UST Recoil 95x

Srixon ZX7 4-AW C-taper S+

Vokey SM9 54F and 58C

Odyssey Eleven Tour-Lined Slant

> @Malvern said:

> > @RickK said:

> > I am almost 73 years old. Been playing since I was 22, so for 51 years. Last year I made my first ever double eagle. 2nd shot on par 5...212 out. Blind shot up over a hill. We looked for the ball in front bunker, in rough, and I was about to head back to hit again as I thought the ball was lost. One of the guys yelled at me as I was getting in the cart "You hitting a Callaway with green dots?"

>

> Totally awesome, but I gotta say as a golfer of similar years in the game, "double eagle" grinds my gears. Given your golfing experience, any idea when the term started being used in America? Any idea when it will stop?

If my aging memory serves me right, it was Grantland Rice reporting on the shot that Gene Sarazen made at the 1935 (I think) Masters. American term...yes it is. I live here so I go with it. Will not stop...been used for 80+ years.

> @HonestPlayer said:

> > @RickK said:

> > I am almost 73 years old. Been playing since I was 22, so for 51 years. Last year I made my first ever double eagle. 2nd shot on par 5...212 out. Blind shot up over a hill. We looked for the ball in front bunker, in rough, and I was about to head back to hit again as I thought the ball was lost. One of the guys yelled at me as I was getting in the cart "You hitting a Callaway with green dots?"

>

> Nice. What club did you hit from 212? You must hit it far for a player your age, makes me wonder how far you hit the ball in your 20s (not that distance matters, accuracy matters most. but it does matter in reaching par 5's in two)

I hit 3hybrid. I feel like I am a fairly short hitter these days. Age has taken its toll. I didn't really hit it all that far in my 20s. Probably 230-240 with balata balls and wooden headed woods. In my mid 30s finally had a chance to work on my game and metal headed clubs were out. I could hit drives in the 260-270 range with the occasional one that could get out there close to 290 (probably aided by hard ground). Best ever that was accurate was driving a 300 yard par 4. Those days are long gone now. I moved up to the senior tees when I turned 70. So, from the senior tees, the hole I made this on was playing 455. Would be a simple par 4 for the younger guys but they would be playing the same hole at around 510.

I snuck out from the office 12/26/12 because the boss was out of town. We were both members of the same club and he lived on the course though we played with different groups. Watched as my 3 wood landed 15 feet or so short and rolled in like a putt. We all went crazy & then I realized, s*^t, I’m totally going to get busted....lol

I made one ~20 years ago when I was just getting into the game. Sub 500 yard par 5 with a slightly elevated green. Perfect drive to cut the corner of the dogleg. Well struck three wood that I thought would be past the hole. Couldn’t see the green from my second shot - searched and searched and searched for it over the back of the green. Gave up. The guy I’m playing with putts out...and finds my ball in the hole!

TBH I didn’t understand the rarity and just sort of shrugged it off as good luck.

Yes, hole #5 at Troon North - Pinnacle in Phoenix last November.

I take a group of members out to PING HQ every year and we play a couple days then visit HQ for fittings/tour before flying home. We were playing our second 18 of the day and I absolutely demolish a drive on 5. One of the guys goes you're going to have 180 into the flag. No, 182. I laugh and do the "yeah ok sure sure" thing and we drive off. We get to my ball and the GPS in the cart says 182 to the hole. I shoot it with the range finder and sure enough, 182. I look over at the guy and go "You aren't going to believe this, it's 182 exactly." We all laugh then I hit my 7 iron. As soon as I hit it I'm watching it and it isn't leaving the flagstick. The green is elevated so you can't see the shots land, but I look at the guys and go "That's going to be really really good."

Driving up to the green and we all spread out for our shots and I don't see a ball on the green. I have putter and wedge in hand figuring I had gone long (pin was almost all the way in the back). Looking in the rough and even in the brush/cactus behind the green and it's nowhere to be found. Out of sheer "yeah what if?" I look in the hole and start freaking out. My ball is sitting in the bottom of the cup with my mark just staring up at me. The guys in my group start freaking out as well, and the group on the tee on the other side of the foliage starts yelling at us to calm down (fat chance of that happening.)

Still have the ball in my bag, need to get a case or something for it. Switched balls on the next tee and almost aced the 6th!!lscnaad5f5yl.jpg

• Like 1

PING G410 LST 9* (Weight neutral) - HZRDUS Black 6.5 
PING G410 14.5* LST - Tensei Pro Orange TX 70
PING Blueprint 3-Pw - KBS Tour S+ - Cushin
PING Glide Forged (Ping Man stamps) - 50º/54º/58º - KBS Tour S+ - Cushin
PING PLD Anser "Honey Badger"
Bridgestone Tour B XS

> @HonestPlayer said:

> What was it like? I've made a hole in one, eagle, birdie all by hole outs. Yet to register an albatross, doubt I ever will considering it's rare now I ever get to a par 5 in 2.

>

> So what was it like? Yes if you did it alone it counts the same and the reaction might be ever more interesting alone. I am currently waiting for my new clubs, no point practicing with my old ones so only have 60 degree wedge, 64 (60 and 64 Cleveland), 72 degree (bomb tech golf) and Scotty putter to practice with so thought I'd humour myself making this thread seeing as I won't be playing on the course for a couple of weeks.

>

> HonestPlayer.

Yes, I made one at my home course, Crown Pointe GC in 2006. Downhill par 5, probably 496 from the tees I was playing. The last 100 yds of the hole juts out into a lake and is surrounded by water on 3 sides. I hit driver off the tee and had 217yds left for my 2nd. Looking straight into the setting evening sun. Hit a 2hybrid (17*) and flushed it right at the flag. But never saw it land due to the sun. I was playing by myself so when I got the the green, I didnt see the ball. Looked short, looked long, looked in the weeds left, then walked by the hole as I was on my way to look in the edge of the water. There it was, a 2 on a par 5.

I've been close a few times, but none **yet**. I was about 3 inches short of a hole in one on a par 4 in college.

Driver: PING G425 7.5*; X-stiff HZRDUS BLACK 75g

Driving Iron: TITLEIST U505 1i; X-stiff HZRDUS Smoke RDX 90g 

Irons: PING i210 3-4, PING BLUEPRINT 5-W; Dynamic Gold X7

Wedges: CLEVELAND RTX4 50, 54, 58; S400

Putter: ODYSSEY WHITE HOT #7 OG

Ball: BRIDGESTONE Tour B X

Grip: WINN Dri Tac Midsize

GHIN: Between my ears... (usually between 1-3)

Just missed one today. Would have been my second

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

I have three. I would trade them all for my first ace (nobody makes plaques for an albatross). Two were on the same hole (Neumann Red #6, Cincinnati, OH), a short (440) double dogleg where you can drive through the doglegs. The first was a so-so drive that ran through into the light rough. I had 200-ish (20+ years ago, don't remember the exact number), and had to draw a 4 iron a bit around the corner. I was playing with one other guy who saw it go in (I didn't). The same hole ten years later I had a perfectly placed drive that caught a downslope and left me with only 90 yards left, and one hopped a sand wedge (happened in my league, 7 witnesses). The last was a straight par 5 (Indian Ridge #9, Oxford, OH), 481 playing downwind. I had a good drive and a 5 wood to a back pin. It's slightly uphill so I did not see it go in, but the guy on the mower did (I was otherwise alone).

Just made an albatross on 8/14@blue Bell cc in PA. 17th hole from the blues was playing 465. I hit driver in fairway and had 173 in. Playing for the front, grabbed an 8 iron and flushed it. Get up to the green and nothing is there. Grab my wedge and putter and take a walk around the green. Nothing. So I then walk to the hole and it was in there! It was hard to believe, but I'll take it. Went on to birdie 18! It was the first time playing Blue Bell and it will always be a favorite course of mine ?. I played with a buddy from work and we were out a little early so we haven't discussed this at work yet lol!

• Like 1

> @fastswinger said:

> Just made an albatross on 8/14@blue Bell cc in PA. 17th hole from the blues was playing 465. I hit driver in fairway and had 173 in. Playing for the front, grabbed an 8 iron and flushed it. Get up to the green and nothing is there. Grab my wedge and putter and take a walk around the green. Nothing. So I then walk to the hole and it was in there! It was hard to believe, but I'll take it. Went on to birdie 18! It was the first time playing Blue Bell and it will always be a favorite course of mine ?. I played with a buddy from work and we were out a little early so we haven't discussed this at work yet lol!

Great shot. But I'm a little surprised that from the Blue tees a 465 yard hole was playing as a par-five. Kind of an in-between hole yardage for the Blues, typically 450 yards and less-par four, 500 yard + par five depending on topography.

Adams 9015D 10.5 Matrix Ozik
TM M2 Deep Face 3HL Fuji Atmos 6
Callaway Apex 20 Steelfiber hls780
Adams Pro Mini 23 Steelfiber i95
Adams A12 Pro Black 5-9PW Steelfiber i95
Adams CB2 GW Steelfiber i95
Vokey SM6 Black 54 S-Grind Steelfiber i110 CW
Vokey Oil Can 58 V-Grind Kuro Kage TiNi 105
Scotty Cameron Pro Plat Newport Mil Spec

It's not how fast you play, it's how well you play fast!

I've made 2. At my club we have 3 par 5s that are reachable if you can pull off 2 good shots. The first one I never saw go in and was actually kind of surreal since I hit 2iron in to the wind and nobody really knew where it was. We were about to give up and concede the hole until somebody joked to check the hole. There it was in the bottom of the cup! Second one is on our finishing hole which typically plays down wind. We have kind of a bowl that the pin sometimes gets put in during club events and I managed to have one come off the back slope of the bowl and go in. That was was certainly very memorable because we were the last group to come through and there were a fair number of people on the green watching us finish. Plenty of cheers and drinks were had after that round!

• Like 1

I made one at the end of last year in a tournament at Lords Valley! It was a better ball tournament for the local golf association so there were many good players. The thing about this round, the course was in a kind of resort community around a lake and the fog was terrible. The entire day you couldnt see a d*** thing over 75 yards. Rangefinders wouldnt shoot anything over 50 yards. The entire day was a guessing game.

On the back 9 the first par 5 i hit a decent drive and only guessed i had around 240 yards. I drove my cart up just enough to where i could see a general outline of the hole because i had never played there before. Hit a good shot and when I walked up to the green I saw nothing. So naturally I started to look around and after a minute or so i realized there was a giant pitch mark about 5 feet in front of the cup. I thought to myself, "theres absolutely no way the group in front of us would leave that thing there." Sure enough it was in the hole. We ended up winning the tournament and the albatross got us a little bit in skin money too.

> @RobGW said:

> I have three. I would trade them all for my first ace (nobody makes plaques for an albatross).

Actually you can join the club at https://www.doubleeagleclub.org. It's kinda hokey though - somewhat like a participation trophy some people buy for their kids.

Ping G400 Max Tour AD DI

Ping G425 Tensi Orange 3W

Ping G30 5W Tensi Orange 5W

Ping G425 Hybrid Tensi Orange 4H

Ping G425 5-S Recoil 780 ES Smacwrap F4

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

• 1 month later...

> @mcputter said:

> > @fastswinger said:

> > Just made an albatross on 8/14@blue Bell cc in PA. 17th hole from the blues was playing 465. I hit driver in fairway and had 173 in. Playing for the front, grabbed an 8 iron and flushed it. Get up to the green and nothing is there. Grab my wedge and putter and take a walk around the green. Nothing. So I then walk to the hole and it was in there! It was hard to believe, but I'll take it. Went on to birdie 18! It was the first time playing Blue Bell and it will always be a favorite course of mine ?. I played with a buddy from work and we were out a little early so we haven't discussed this at work yet lol!

>

> Great shot. But I'm a little surprised that from the Blue tees a 465 yard hole was playing as a par-five. Kind of an in-between hole yardage for the Blues, typically 450 yards and less-par four, 500 yard + par five depending on topography.

Thx, yes I agree. It was the first time playing the course. I played with a guy from work and this was his club. We played the mix of blue and white tees because my friend isn't a long hitter and upwards of an 18hcp (tips were gold maybe?). So it was a short par 5 to begin with, but played really short from the blue tees.

I made one about 10 years ago..... 510 yd hole....nice drive....ripped a 4 iron from 205....rolled in like a putt. I think it is a way harder than making an ace, BUT I have had 7 aces :) It was at a really nice old course that was closed about 2 years later :'(

Yonex Tri-G 10* driver
Yonex Ezone GT 15*  3  wood
Yonex Ezone GT 18*  5 wood
Yonex Ezone GT irons 4-AW
Miura Tour Black 54* SW
Miura Tour Black 60* LW
Miura KM007 Putter

Two years ago made my first at Cherokee Run in Conyers, GA. Depending upon the last time you played it is either #18 or #9, par 5 of about 550 if played down the fairway. I pushed my drive right into the rough and hit a flyer 8 iron over the trees onto the green. The group that just finished saw it(elevated green with a ridge so no view from the low rough) and started screaming when it went in. They said it hit front middle and took two bounces and then rolled straight in like a putt.

• Like 1
  • Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - GW Cobra King Tour - Axiom 105X
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

I have not but my buddy had a albatross and a HIO in the same round.

https://coloradoavidgolfer.com/the-ace-and-the-albatross-ramos/

• Like 1
Mizuno JPX900 EvoIII S (weights center channel port 1 & 2)
Mizuno GT190 Atmos Blue 6S
Mizuno CLK 19* Speeder EVO HB S
Titleist 4i AMT S300
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5-G KBS Tour
Mizuno S18 54.8/58.8
Carbon Ringo 1/4
Balls : 2017 ProV1x / KSig / Vice Pro+