2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Midline Cracks with Srixon Z-Star XV

smileykj218

Folks, according to the rep, its a seam and it where the molds are pieced together. I have never had a ball crack there but alway just show wear along the seam. From his explanation, the balls all have this seam and it is raised when they come out of the mold. Then the balls are turned/polished down to be perfectly round and then finished with logos. Its all part of their manufacturing process. I am not sure if it affects performance. I would say you have to make a decision whether this is a deal breaker for you on Srixon balls. Its going to happen on every Z Star ball whether you have noticed it or not.

> @awtryau89 said:

> Folks, according to the rep, its a seam and it where the molds are pieced together. I have never had a ball crack there but alway just show wear along the seam. From his explanation, the balls all have this seam and it is raised when they come out of the mold. Then the balls are turned/polished down to be perfectly round and then finished with logos. Its all part of their manufacturing process. I am not sure if it affects performance. I would say you have to make a decision whether this is a deal breaker for you on Srixon balls. Its going to happen on every Z Star ball whether you have noticed it or not.

Correct, it is definitely a seam; you can see as it follows the dimple patterns. As mentioned all balls are made from two disc molds which are then fused together. I have played the XV for a while now and I have had a few where this has happened but it doesn't really impact performance as it is just a wear pattern. The only time I have seen them is when I play a ball for over 18 holes.

I ordered a bunch of yellow XV’s with my own custom triple track and when they arrived I noticed the seam right away. They said the same thing to me when I called CS, should not affect the performance of the ball. Here’s two pics I took- first one I made a line along the seam to show it better and the second pic the seam is going up and down. ugquqobabl0m.jpeg

9d3aols37vm7.jpeg

Played this ball exclusivities for about 5-6 years. Mostly yellow because of the durability. I personally have never seen nor heard of this ball cracking from guys I know that play it. I am a 1, carry a driver about 270 and sometimes I have played the same ball 2 or 3 rounds with no issues. I live in the south and it’s hot here nearly all the year. I wonder if these issues are in cooler climes?

Well, it's happened to my ball, played 2rounds before today & 5 holes into todays round when I took a look at the ball & WALLAH - theres the line. Crap

• Like 1

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Cobra Forged Tec X 5 - PW KBS TGI 85 stiff shafts
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48* & Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

Now I've got to closely examine my balls...

I've played Z-Stars almost exclusively for the past few years, I've never noticed anything like this. Of course, I've never really looked and my eyes suck.

Between the garage, trunk and bag I've probably go 10 -12 dozen in the stash.

X________________________________ Sign Here

I have noticed this too. Though it was the grooves from a new wedge. Must be the seam.

WITB
Srixon ZX5 LS 9.0, HZRDUS Black 60 6.0
Ping G425 LST 3 wood, Tensei Orange

Ping G410  7 wood set at 19, Tensei Orange

Srixon ZX 4 MKii 4 iron, ZX 5 MKii 5,6 irons  ZX7 MKii  7-PW KBS TGI 90

RTX Zipcore  Tour Rack 50, 54, 60

L.A.B. Golf Mezz.1 Max 16 CB, 39 inches

Srixon-Z Star XV

19 XV yellow after 6 holes or so you can the seam as it appears lighter in color than ball itself disturbing for sure.. Also the yellow XV feels harder than the white XV?

PING G430 Max 8 degree (digitally lofted) TR Blue 6X tipped .5". 44.5" D4 

G430 17 HY DI HY 85 X

TSR2 21 HY DI HY 85 X

4 THRU PW King Tour KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 48 "F" KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 54 "F" S400

VOKEY 60 "V" S400

SCOTTY CAMERON T11 BGT POLAR SHAFT SAND BLASTED TO MATCH HEAD... FLATSO 1.0

HOOFER LITE BLACK CAMO 

The visible seam doesn’t bother me, it’s the ball actually cracking is what has me concerned. Cracked another one last night. That makes 3 in the past week. All have been last years XV models from the 6 ball trial packs. Hopefully I don’t have this issue with the 8 dozen 2019’s I have in the closet.

Driver:  Cobra Darkspeed LS 9* Tour 2.0 Black 65X

Fairway:  Ping G430 Max 14* Tour 2.0 Black 75X

Fairway:  Ping G430 Max 19.5* Tour 2.0 Black 75X

Irons:  PXG 0317 CB 5-GW KBS Tour 130X

Wedge: Ping Glide 4.0 54S Modus 125W

Wedge: Ping Glide 4.0 58S Modus 125W

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: Titleist Pro V1

I’ve looked at the 3 cracked ones, and none have cracked along the visible seam.

Driver:  Cobra Darkspeed LS 9* Tour 2.0 Black 65X

Fairway:  Ping G430 Max 14* Tour 2.0 Black 75X

Fairway:  Ping G430 Max 19.5* Tour 2.0 Black 75X

Irons:  PXG 0317 CB 5-GW KBS Tour 130X

Wedge: Ping Glide 4.0 54S Modus 125W

Wedge: Ping Glide 4.0 58S Modus 125W

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: Titleist Pro V1

The XV5 yellow has been the best all around ball for me. Just dont care for the new ones as much as the previous version.

9* Titleist TSi3 AD-DI 7X
14.5* Cobra Radspeed D+ 80x
4-48* Titleist T150 w/Project X LZ 6.0
51* Srixon Z785 

56*/60* Taylormade MG2 TW Grind w/ S400 
Odyssey Jailbird Cruiser
Titleist Pro V1x

I've got some that are showing similar wear to what I'm seeing in this thread. To me it just looks like the paint is wearing off the seam before it wears off other parts of the ball. I've always found Srixon's to be more durable than Pro V1's which is one of the reasons I play them (along with price).

If you feel the seam it is raised quite a bit. I have 4 dozen I want to return but cannot as they are personlized. I switched back to the PROVX and gained some distance from the XV in the irons and lower flighted wedges but hate paying that price even thought I use book money from club to do so...

G430 17 HY DI HY 85 X

TSR2 21 HY DI HY 85 X

VOKEY 54 "F" S400

VOKEY 60 "V" S400

HOOFER LITE BLACK CAMO 

> @Kmac said:

> I ordered a bunch of yellow XV’s with my own custom triple track and when they arrived I noticed the seam right away. They said the same thing to me when I called CS, should not affect the performance of the ball. Here’s two pics I took- first one I made a line along the seam to show it better and the second pic the seam is going up and down. ugquqobabl0m.jpeg

> 9d3aols37vm7.jpeg

>

Ya on this last batch of balls I can see the seam out of the box and it is raised...

G430 17 HY DI HY 85 X

TSR2 21 HY DI HY 85 X

VOKEY 54 "F" S400

VOKEY 60 "V" S400

HOOFER LITE BLACK CAMO 

• 1 month later...

Posted in the XV thread about this... I teed one up as a provisional today and after finding my first one, I noticed this when I picked the provisional up... one swing and it stands out like this? If it doesn't break that's all I care about, but it is in the back of my mind, no doubt.

Ping G430 10k 9*  Ventus Velocore blue 6x

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

PXG 0211  4i KBS C Taper Lite 115x ss1x

Srixon zx7 mkii 5-7, Z forged ii 8-P KBS C Taper Lite 

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Scotty Cameron NP2 Studio Stainless  34"

• 1 year later...

Reviving a somewhat old thred. I have started practicing with and playing this ball during this season, thinking of switching from my regular Tp5 ball. I think Srixon XV is a great overall performing ball at a much better price point than almost every other premium golfball. I can se why so many people here are praising it. Unfortunately i have been put off by this cracked seam issue.. I have played both the 5:th and 6:th generation (2017 and 2019) ball and i have to say that the durability really sucks. Almost every ball i have played so far the last couple of months have cracked along the seam, some balls lasting no more than one hole before i have to take them out of play. Sure the price are much lower than most other tour balls but overall the price gets way higher than lets say my regular ball tp5, which easily last 18 holes and somethimes 36 if its just practice rounds. It´s hard to justify a switch when there´s so many great balls out there. I think Srixon has do adress this issue .

- Callaway Paradyme TD 9° Kai'li white 60x
- Ping G425 Max 15,5° Tensei AV Raw Orange 75S
- Titleist tsi2 hybrid 20° Tensei AV Raw White 90S

- Ping i210 pw-4 Modus 3 105X
- Cleveland Zipcore 50°, 54°, 58°, Modus 3 120S
- Rife Antigua/Odyssey Ten
- Bridgestone Tour BX

8 hours ago, aewon said:

Reviving a somewhat old thred. I have started practicing with and playing this ball during this season, thinking of switching from my regular Tp5 ball. I think Srixon XV is a great overall performing ball at a much better price point than almost every other premium golfball. I can se why so many people here are praising it. Unfortunately i have been put off by this cracked seam issue.. I have played both the 5:th and 6:th generation (2017 and 2019) ball and i have to say that the durability really sucks. Almost every ball i have played so far the last couple of months have cracked along the seam, some balls lasting no more than one hole before i have to take them out of play. Sure the price are much lower than most other tour balls but overall the price gets way higher than lets say my regular ball tp5, which easily last 18 holes and somethimes 36 if its just practice rounds. It´s hard to justify a switch when there´s so many great balls out there. I think Srixon has do adress this issue .

Calling it a crack is not accurate though. It is a wear mark. Big difference.

I'm a Z-Star player. And yes, I find this wear mark annoying. That said, the ball performs well for me and the price point is right. 

Issue here is the TPU urethane cover. In an effort to keep-up with the cast urethane covers, Srixon's TPU cover is getting thinner and thinner. The issue, the durability of the ball keeps getting worse and worse. Without a doubt, the past generations of Z-Stars (2011, 2013, 2015) are much more durable than the current generation Z-Star (2019). For me, the issue with seam showing after a few hits started with the 2017 model and has continued into the current model (though not as bad). The 2017s are the worst with it.

I believe a new generation will arrive in 2021. Hopefully, they figure out a way to eliminate this issue with the seam showing. I'm pretty sure their customer service is tired of having to answer customer questions about whether the ball is actually cracked.

Edited by TheBear95
  • Thanks 1

Titleist TSi3 10*
Titleist TSi3 16.5*

Titleist 818H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Cottonwood II

2 hours ago, TheBear95 said:

Calling it a crack is not accurate though. It is a wear mark. Big difference.

I'm a Z-Star player. And yes, I find this wear mark annoying. That said, the ball performs well for me and the price point is right. 

Issue here is the TPU urethane cover. In an effort to keep-up with the cast urethane covers, Srixon's TPU cover is getting thinner and thinner. The issue, the durability of the ball keeps getting worse and worse. Without a doubt, the past generations of Z-Stars (2011, 2013, 2015) are much more durable than the current generation Z-Star (2019). For me, the issue with seam showing after a few hits started with the 2017 model and has continued into the current model (though not as bad). The 2017s are the worst with it.

I believe a new generation will arrive in 2021. Hopefully, they figure out a way to eliminate this issue with the seam showing. I'm pretty sure their customer service is tired of having to answer customer questions about whether the ball is actually cracked.

Thank you for the reply. 

Have you compared the regular z star to the xv? Is the wearing comparable on both balls or is the softer z star holding up better due to its softness? I have not tried the regular z star yet, thinking I will loose distance of the driver. As I mentioned my ball has been the tp5 since it was first launched (and before that the tour preferred x) , and I feel it's just as long as any other ball dispite it's being a softer ball (which I like) I have stayed away from the regular z star so far because there's plenty of comments saying it's short of the tee? It's that something you have experienced? 

Edited by aewon

- Callaway Paradyme TD 9° Kai'li white 60x
- Ping G425 Max 15,5° Tensei AV Raw Orange 75S
- Titleist tsi2 hybrid 20° Tensei AV Raw White 90S

- Ping i210 pw-4 Modus 3 105X
- Cleveland Zipcore 50°, 54°, 58°, Modus 3 120S
- Rife Antigua/Odyssey Ten
- Bridgestone Tour BX