Should your junior golfer have a social media presence on Instagram / FB / Twitter?

> @kekoa said:

> A few thoughts. First, for those holy art thou parents that are so against their kid golfer having a social media account- you are in the minority. Maybe not on the forum here, but everywhere else. I'm not condoning the kid having control of the account and posting random bs.

>

> Also, with regards to recruiters being able to access profiles. If a kid posts something that that hurts their ability to otherwise be recruited then so be it. They probably shouldn't be on a team anyways.

Curious, and this is a legitimate question, what do you see as the inherent benefits to a young junior having an "independent" account? Your post did not really defend the point you just said those of us who don't agree with it are holier than thou and that we are in the minority.

With all sincerity, I feel bad for parents with kids in the social media age. From secret accounts to posts that can be there forever, it's just a difficult situation. We want kids to be able to be kids but then all you have to do is see something like Nick Bosa who had to apologize for something he posted 5 years ago when he was young and naive. It could have impacted his ability to be drafted in the NFL.

When we hire people, regardless of age, we scan their social media/Google them to see what's out there. We're in a business where HIPAA compliance, or the lack thereof, can have a huge negative cost. We had to term an employee for an inappropriate comment she made referencing a client. That cost her the ability to work in this industry as it was a reportable offense. Such a tough situation.

> @kekoa said:

> A few thoughts. First, for those holy art thou parents that are so against their kid golfer having a social media account- you are in the minority. Maybe not on the forum here, but everywhere else. I'm not condoning the kid having control of the account and posting random bs.

>

> Also, with regards to recruiters being able to access profiles. If a kid posts something that that hurts their ability to otherwise be recruited then so be it. They probably shouldn't be on a team anyways.

This Post is the Dunning Kruger effect at it's best.

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

> @BloctonGolf11 said:

> > @kekoa said:

> > A few thoughts. First, for those holy art thou parents that are so against their kid golfer having a social media account- you are in the minority. Maybe not on the forum here, but everywhere else. I'm not condoning the kid having control of the account and posting random bs.

> >

> > Also, with regards to recruiters being able to access profiles. If a kid posts something that that hurts their ability to otherwise be recruited then so be it. They probably shouldn't be on a team anyways.

>

> Curious, and this is a legitimate question, what do you see as the inherent benefits to a young junior having an "independent" account? Your post did not really defend the point you just said those of us who don't agree with it are holier than thou and that we are in the minority.

There are cliques in the junior golf world of parents that do everything together. Usually a group of parents of better players that like to stick out their chest and show everyone how good their kid is. They want their kid to be the next Tiger Woods or to be socializing or hanging out with him. It definitely rolls over to social media where these group of parents are trying to get their kid noticed. Their are also certain coaches that do the same thing and really promote their 8 year old players in the same manner. Reality TV on Social Media is what it boils down to, but usually only shows the good stuff.

> @heavy_hitter said:

> > @BloctonGolf11 said:

> > > @kekoa said:

> > > A few thoughts. First, for those holy art thou parents that are so against their kid golfer having a social media account- you are in the minority. Maybe not on the forum here, but everywhere else. I'm not condoning the kid having control of the account and posting random bs.

> > >

> > > Also, with regards to recruiters being able to access profiles. If a kid posts something that that hurts their ability to otherwise be recruited then so be it. They probably shouldn't be on a team anyways.

> >

> > Curious, and this is a legitimate question, what do you see as the inherent benefits to a young junior having an "independent" account? Your post did not really defend the point you just said those of us who don't agree with it are holier than thou and that we are in the minority.

>

> There are cliques in the junior golf world of parents that do everything together. Usually a group of parents of better players that like to stick out their chest and show everyone how good their kid is. They want their kid to be the next Tiger Woods or to be socializing or hanging out with him. It definitely rolls over to social media where these group of parents are trying to get their kid noticed. Their are also certain coaches that do the same thing and really promote their 8 year old players in the same manner. Reality TV on Social Media is what it boils down to, but usually only shows the good stuff.

LOL!! There you go again....

> @BloctonGolf11 said:

> > @kekoa said:

> > A few thoughts. First, for those holy art thou parents that are so against their kid golfer having a social media account- you are in the minority. Maybe not on the forum here, but everywhere else. I'm not condoning the kid having control of the account and posting random bs.

> >

> > Also, with regards to recruiters being able to access profiles. If a kid posts something that that hurts their ability to otherwise be recruited then so be it. They probably shouldn't be on a team anyways.

>

> Curious, and this is a legitimate question, what do you see as the inherent benefits to a young junior having an "independent" account? Your post did not really defend the point you just said those of us who don't agree with it are holier than thou and that we are in the minority.

I'm not saying there is a real benefit and why does there need to be one? I have one for my son mostly to showcase the progression of his golf and accomplishments. I used to post stuff for him more often when I first started the account, but now try to go much quality over quantity.

> @kekoa said:

> > @BloctonGolf11 said:

> > > @kekoa said:

> > > A few thoughts. First, for those holy art thou parents that are so against their kid golfer having a social media account- you are in the minority. Maybe not on the forum here, but everywhere else. I'm not condoning the kid having control of the account and posting random bs.

> > >

> > > Also, with regards to recruiters being able to access profiles. If a kid posts something that that hurts their ability to otherwise be recruited then so be it. They probably shouldn't be on a team anyways.

> >

> > Curious, and this is a legitimate question, what do you see as the inherent benefits to a young junior having an "independent" account? Your post did not really defend the point you just said those of us who don't agree with it are holier than thou and that we are in the minority.

>

> I'm not saying there is a real benefit and why does there need to be one? I have one for my son mostly to showcase the progression of his golf and accomplishments. I used to post stuff for him more often when I first started the account, but now try to go much quality over quantity.

If there is no benefit, and there are all of these inherent negatives that come along with it, why do it? Again the journey thing does not really justify it, you can do that on your own profile. What we are discussing is this idea of a junior having their own independent account and this idea of a sub high schooler old posting pseudo posting on an open platform social media account.

> @kekoa said:

> > @heavy_hitter said:

> > > @BloctonGolf11 said:

> > > > @kekoa said:

> > > > A few thoughts. First, for those holy art thou parents that are so against their kid golfer having a social media account- you are in the minority. Maybe not on the forum here, but everywhere else. I'm not condoning the kid having control of the account and posting random bs.

> > > >

> > > > Also, with regards to recruiters being able to access profiles. If a kid posts something that that hurts their ability to otherwise be recruited then so be it. They probably shouldn't be on a team anyways.

> > >

> > > Curious, and this is a legitimate question, what do you see as the inherent benefits to a young junior having an "independent" account? Your post did not really defend the point you just said those of us who don't agree with it are holier than thou and that we are in the minority.

> >

> > There are cliques in the junior golf world of parents that do everything together. Usually a group of parents of better players that like to stick out their chest and show everyone how good their kid is. They want their kid to be the next Tiger Woods or to be socializing or hanging out with him. It definitely rolls over to social media where these group of parents are trying to get their kid noticed. Their are also certain coaches that do the same thing and really promote their 8 year old players in the same manner. Reality TV on Social Media is what it boils down to, but usually only shows the good stuff.

>

> LOL!! There you go again....

Wasn't talking specifically to you, but if the shoe fits...

Honestly though, before you blocked from IG, I didn't really think of you as pimping your kid. Only thing I saw was the occasional post and a proud dad. If you go to some of your buddies IG accounts, they are definitely pimping along with JJ golf. You know exactly who I am talking about.

> @heavy_hitter said:

> > @kekoa said:

> > > @heavy_hitter said:

> > > > @BloctonGolf11 said:

> > > > > @kekoa said:

> > > > > A few thoughts. First, for those holy art thou parents that are so against their kid golfer having a social media account- you are in the minority. Maybe not on the forum here, but everywhere else. I'm not condoning the kid having control of the account and posting random bs.

> > > > >

> > > > > Also, with regards to recruiters being able to access profiles. If a kid posts something that that hurts their ability to otherwise be recruited then so be it. They probably shouldn't be on a team anyways.

> > > >

> > > > Curious, and this is a legitimate question, what do you see as the inherent benefits to a young junior having an "independent" account? Your post did not really defend the point you just said those of us who don't agree with it are holier than thou and that we are in the minority.

> > >

> > > There are cliques in the junior golf world of parents that do everything together. Usually a group of parents of better players that like to stick out their chest and show everyone how good their kid is. They want their kid to be the next Tiger Woods or to be socializing or hanging out with him. It definitely rolls over to social media where these group of parents are trying to get their kid noticed. Their are also certain coaches that do the same thing and really promote their 8 year old players in the same manner. Reality TV on Social Media is what it boils down to, but usually only shows the good stuff.

> >

> > LOL!! There you go again....

>

> Wasn't talking specifically to you, but if the shoe fits...

>

> Honestly though, before you blocked from IG, I didn't really think of you as pimping your kid. Only thing I saw was the occasional post and a proud dad. If you go to some of your buddies IG accounts, they are definitely pimping along with JJ golf. You know exactly who I am talking about.

C'mon, that's a tired subject already. Who the fuck cares what they are doing? Also, only 3-4 people on this forum even know who you are talking about. I know the family well and I have no reason to have ill will against them. Are they pimping their kid? Maybe...maybe not.

> @kekoa said:

> > @heavy_hitter said:

> > > @kekoa said:

> > > > @heavy_hitter said:

> > > > > @BloctonGolf11 said:

> > > > > > @kekoa said:

> > > > > > A few thoughts. First, for those holy art thou parents that are so against their kid golfer having a social media account- you are in the minority. Maybe not on the forum here, but everywhere else. I'm not condoning the kid having control of the account and posting random bs.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Also, with regards to recruiters being able to access profiles. If a kid posts something that that hurts their ability to otherwise be recruited then so be it. They probably shouldn't be on a team anyways.

> > > > >

> > > > > Curious, and this is a legitimate question, what do you see as the inherent benefits to a young junior having an "independent" account? Your post did not really defend the point you just said those of us who don't agree with it are holier than thou and that we are in the minority.

> > > >

> > > > There are cliques in the junior golf world of parents that do everything together. Usually a group of parents of better players that like to stick out their chest and show everyone how good their kid is. They want their kid to be the next Tiger Woods or to be socializing or hanging out with him. It definitely rolls over to social media where these group of parents are trying to get their kid noticed. Their are also certain coaches that do the same thing and really promote their 8 year old players in the same manner. Reality TV on Social Media is what it boils down to, but usually only shows the good stuff.

> > >

> > > LOL!! There you go again....

> >

> > Wasn't talking specifically to you, but if the shoe fits...

> >

> > Honestly though, before you blocked from IG, I didn't really think of you as pimping your kid. Only thing I saw was the occasional post and a proud dad. If you go to some of your buddies IG accounts, they are definitely pimping along with JJ golf. You know exactly who I am talking about.

>

> C'mon, that's a tired subject already. Who the **** cares what they are doing? Also, only 3-4 people on this forum even know who you are talking about. I know the family well and I have no reason to have ill will against them. Are they pimping their kid? Maybe...maybe not.

I don't care what they do. I didn't start the subject and I don't follow their accounts. I am just mentioning some of the crazy stuff out there because I have peaked. I don't like the guy, but JJ does some good stuff and is very knowledgeable.

> @kekoa said:

> > @leezer99 said:

> > JJ does do some great stuff with his students, young and old. We used to go to him for quite a while. (Yes, I used we because I was there and paid the bill, sue me )

>

> I heard you were quite pushy, crazy and overbearing.

LOL. I'm the least crazy parent out there.

• Like 1
There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

My daughter has one, I would hope it falls under more proud dad, some stuff posted not about trying to get her deals free crap or anything. I started it to get all her golf post off of my page. For reference my dogs have pages too (started by my wife) so there is that. But it's also a way that some of these kids connect at regionals, worlds we meet a lot based on instagram. Does she post or ever get on it, nope. But I find it harmless when it's done right. I know some that post about 10 times a day and it's overkill. So if I'm pimping my child so be it. It's a single source where friends and family can she pictures, videos anything else that gets put on there.

• Like 1

> @darter79 said:

> My daughter has one, I would hope it falls under more proud dad, some stuff posted not about trying to get her deals free crap or anything. I started it to get all her golf post off of my page. For reference my dogs have pages too (started by my wife) so there is that. But it's also a way that some of these kids connect at regionals, worlds we meet a lot based on instagram. Does she post or ever get on it, nope. But I find it harmless when it's done right. I know some that post about 10 times a day and it's overkill. So if I'm pimping my child so be it. It's a single source where friends and family can she pictures, videos anything else that gets put on there.

You are flipping out there bruh. The everyday posts and 30 different additions to the same story is ridonculous.

• Like 1

Neither of my kids (both junior golfers) have IG accounts or any presence on social media, nor does anyone in our family…that’s a choice my wife and I have made for privacy sake…..however, to each his own…

…and full respect to proud parents posting some achievements on IG, however, if you as a parent have made the conscious decision to put your child’s life on full display online for the world to see and to showcase their ‘wonderful, spectacular, journey’ then don’t get UP IN ARMS when negative comments and/or critiques are received, and don’t be shocked when the likes and positive comments are only a fraction of what you hoped to receive…coz the truth is, other than YOU and your family, NOBODY cares about your kid and their achievements.

And the more idyllic and fabulously successful (not realistic) you portray the journey, the greater number of trolls you’ll attract.

Cyber-bullying is a real thing and yet its sooo simple to avoid.

I would now like to take back the word pimp and replace it with expose. I "think" I can be convinced that using a private account to capture memories for family and friends to enjoy is fine. A Public account for an 8 year old run by Mr. And/Or Mrs. Exposure, #CallmeCostco #KirklandGolfBalls #dontputmykidsfaceinyourpublicIGaccount #2ndgrader ....uh no

> @leveragedbuyout said:

> Neither of my kids (both junior golfers) have IG accounts or any presence on social media, nor does anyone in our family…that’s a choice my wife and I have made for privacy sake…..however, to each his own…

>

> …and full respect to proud parents posting some achievements on IG, however, if you as a parent have made the conscious decision to put your child’s life on full display online for the world to see and to showcase their ‘wonderful, spectacular, journey’ then don’t get UP IN ARMS when negative comments and/or critiques are received, and don’t be shocked when the likes and positive comments are only a fraction of what you hoped to receive…coz the truth is, other than YOU and your family, NOBODY cares about your kid and their achievements.

>

> And the more idyllic and fabulously successful (not realistic) you portray the journey, the greater number of trolls you’ll attract.

>

> Cyber-bullying is a real thing and yet its sooo simple to avoid.

I don't have a FB account but my wife does. I had to kill mine when I realized it was just social poison. So much drama about stuff that doesn't impact my life one iota. This post hits on many of the reasons not to have a social presence but does anyone have a good reason to have one other than sharing with family or documenting stuff? Would a coach ever look at a kids profile and say, "that's the kind of person I want on my team!"

There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

This high school principal would say no on the original question.

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

There are two kids I know who claim to have lost their offers after they committed. The reason they claim was because of some Instagram and Snapchat posts. Another kid was asked by their future coach to delete all of their social media accounts.

One was a girl who posted some bikini pics of herself and a friend. She was committed to a Catholic private D1 school.

The other was a boy who posted something about how MJ should legalized nationwide.

I never saw the posts, but my kid told me about them and said both were kind of timid.

My kid told me the girls picture were not sexual, and the boy has never indicated to my kid that he smokes MJ. He had committed to a pretty good D2 school.

1. At what age did you / should you have them engaged online?

-1st post was 4yrs ago, she was 8. I think IG just started back then.

2. What content are you posting?

-Golf experiences, learning, some swing progression, some tourneys, pets/animals, hanging with friends, other sport events, travel, special occasions.

3. Reasons for or against having a social media account.

-Ok with it. Online is ok if it's monitored. It's a way of staying connected.

4. How do you use this in recruiting?

-Don't use it as for college recruiting or anything to get her on a team or school. That's all scoring / ranking.

5. Pitfalls to avoid

-Watch out for crazies (either online, on the street). My older daughter is going into HS. A guest speaker from MIT came and recommended all the freshman parents to install a "nanny app" or something like that which will monitor every single photo they take on their phone. Up to you if you think your child needs it. The app ensures they don't take pics and post stuff that will get them in trouble. Prevention, not "Avention" = sorry it's late and it's kind of a quote from End Game

6. Do you go private or public and does this change at a certain age?

-It's public, but that she has her own private IG account with 0 posts. Her account is for staying in touch with friends.

7. Why are you, as a parent, posting these on behalf of your under 13 year old?

-I'm in online marketing for my main biz, so kind of comes natural. I do post for her, comment, like, monitor. Guilty as charged. She just reads. It's been a great tool for keeping in touch with friends she meets that live across the country/world. I send the link to my parents, family, etc.

Cheers!

Good topic and discussion. My son is 14 and has an instagram account and FB account but pretty much solely to follow other people and groups related to golf (and other sports generally) (in fact I'm not aware of a single post of his on either). His friends are similar and none of them seem to post anything to their own accounts about their swings or play or accomplishments. Though they do "follow" other junior golfers, mostly it is college and top ams that they follow. I'm now going to talk with my son as I'm curious to his thoughts on the topic. My guess is that he doesn't care about posting or getting attention from anyone else but it will be interesting to hear his perspective. Now that he just started freshman year in HS, it will be a good time to refresh our prior discussions of the topic and cautionary reminders.

Roll Red Roll is a documentary about a rape case in Steubenville, Ohio that made national headlines. I made my son watch it. Social Media was a big player in this case and it happened in 2012.