J13's WITB: Update- FUJIKURA AXIOM

> @J13 said:

> > @kyle75 said:

> > > @J13 said:

> > > > @noodle3872 said:

> > > > It’s crazy how over the past couple years Ping has brought the heat with their woods. It’s like they came out of nowhere. They more than hold their own with TM and Callaway.

> > >

> > > Ping has a lot of brain power behind their clubs so it's not surprising to me. The Ping G400LST was a phenomenal offering and king of the hill IMO for the last few years. This year is a bit of a different story with Callaway bringing the heat with Epic Flash and Ping dropping the ball with the G410LST release. For those that like the forgivness of the G410 Plus but want a little lower spin, just grab a 10g weight and add the weight back to the head in the front. Works like a charm and i've done probably 8-10 heads like that in my shop. Drops around 150-200rpms if done right along with the rest of the build.

> >

> > I'm getting ready to buy a Ping G410 Plus and was reading your review of it and they're great reviews. When you're talking about dropping the spin and adding weight to the front, you're changing the moveable weight for the 10g and putting weight in the front with hotmelt or leadtape, is that correct? How much hotmelt or leadtape does it take?

>

> Ping heads are always on the heavier side so they don't leave much room for melt. As a result, I bought a lighter weight for the rear (like a 10g) and added the 6g back in the form of melt to the front of the head.

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it. I will def give this a try.

Hey J13. Just did a driver fitting and I need to get my launch spin and peak height down with some forgiveness. Fitter got the shaft pinpointed with a TZ5 M5 but did not pinpoint a head. My smash factor was best on the ts3, EF triple diamond and ts4 really lowered my spin and launch. I am a mid handicapper at 12 with 113 SS but not their fitting heads had issues. Litterally had the adapter break on the ts3 and EF Triple diamond after 4 swing with each. How is the forgiveness on the EF? i hit one shot with an open face that I thought I hit terrible and the smash factor was 1.49.

TS4 will produce some rockets but with any low low spin head, it will be punishing on misses. No way around it and I would say don't get lured in by trackman numbers. TS3 is a good stick though if you like the shape.

The Triple EF ended up in my bag because of its consistency in spin and ball speed retention. Misses around the face are not punished and numbers don't jump around if you slightly heel or toe one. It's one of the most balanced drivers I tested (ping g410 plus being another) but maintains a lower spin profile. And the profile/shape is OUTSTANDING

So think MOI G410 Plus but spin of G410 LST.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

> @youngunz5840 said:

> My fitting over the weekend showed that I need to play 7* to get my launch and spin down.

The problem you run into with loft that low is dispersion. I'm tempted from time to time to get a 7* head and just hit bullets but when the swing is off the driver goes sideways quick.

• Like 1

Edel PROTO

> @J13 said:

> > @youngunz5840 said:

> > My fitting over the weekend showed that I need to play 7* to get my launch and spin down.

>

> The problem you run into with loft that low is dispersion. I'm tempted from time to time to get a 7* head and just hit bullets but when the swing is off the driver goes sideways quick. Of course if that floats your boat then by all means, but if you are looking for fairways then 2700-2800 spin isn't all that bad.

Edel PROTO

Thanks J13 talked to Mark from Center Cut Golf about heads and the tz5 and he suggested the G410lst. Went that route at 8* and happy with the results. At one point I put it at 7.5 with weight in heel and agree with you that the super low spinner is not a real life option.

The head open from 9 to 8 with the weight in center has kept the left side out and I am hitting fades or straight which ill take all day

> @youngunz5840 said:

> Thanks J13 talked to Mark from Center Cut Golf about heads and the tz5 and he suggested the G410lst. Went that route at 8* and happy with the results. At one point I put it at 7.5 with weight in heel and agree with you that the super low spinner is not a real life option.

> The head open from 9 to 8 with the weight in center has kept the left side out and I am hitting fades or straight which ill take all day

Cool, yeah the TZ5 is a great option. Speaking of Accra, interested to see how things progress now that True Temper bought them.

Edel PROTO

> @J13 said:

> > @youngunz5840 said:

> > Thanks J13 talked to Mark from Center Cut Golf about heads and the tz5 and he suggested the G410lst. Went that route at 8* and happy with the results. At one point I put it at 7.5 with weight in heel and agree with you that the super low spinner is not a real life option.

> > The head open from 9 to 8 with the weight in center has kept the left side out and I am hitting fades or straight which ill take all day

>

> Cool, yeah the TZ5 is a great option. Speaking of Accra, interested to see how things progress now that True Temper bought them.

it's going to be interesting for sure.

> @"double or triple?" said:

> > @J13 said:

> > > @youngunz5840 said:

> > > Thanks J13 talked to Mark from Center Cut Golf about heads and the tz5 and he suggested the G410lst. Went that route at 8* and happy with the results. At one point I put it at 7.5 with weight in heel and agree with you that the super low spinner is not a real life option.

> > > The head open from 9 to 8 with the weight in center has kept the left side out and I am hitting fades or straight which ill take all day

> >

> > Cool, yeah the TZ5 is a great option. Speaking of Accra, interested to see how things progress now that True Temper bought them.

>

> it's going to be interesting for sure.

I was hoping that would mean Accra shaft would be available by OEM's but apparently, that won't be the case and it will remain exclusively for dealers and fitters.

Edel PROTO

Hey my friend. Thank you for your honest insight and reviews. I have been on this site for a long time and have learned over the years to filter out those who are genuine. I decided to give the EF TD a go based on the information your provided this board. Simply put, it is the best driver I have ever owned and that is saying something as I have hit and/or purchased many. I wanted to express my gratitude for your contribution. Hit em well!

> @J13 said:

> > @"double or triple?" said:

> > > @J13 said:

> > > > @youngunz5840 said:

> > > > Thanks J13 talked to Mark from Center Cut Golf about heads and the tz5 and he suggested the G410lst. Went that route at 8* and happy with the results. At one point I put it at 7.5 with weight in heel and agree with you that the super low spinner is not a real life option.

> > > > The head open from 9 to 8 with the weight in center has kept the left side out and I am hitting fades or straight which ill take all day

> > >

> > > Cool, yeah the TZ5 is a great option. Speaking of Accra, interested to see how things progress now that True Temper bought them.

> >

> > it's going to be interesting for sure.

>

> I was hoping that would mean Accra shaft would be available by OEM's but apparently, that won't be the case and it will remain exclusively for dealers and fitters.

Maybe in the future but starting out it definitely be through the regular aftermarket channels

> @ProjectX_Mizuno said:

> Hey my friend. Thank you for your honest insight and reviews. I have been on this site for a long time and have learned over the years to filter out those who are genuine. I decided to give the EF TD a go based on the information your provided this board. Simply put, it is the best driver I have ever owned and that is saying something as I have hit and/or purchased many. I wanted to express my gratitude for your contribution. Hit em well!

Happy to help and I feel the exact same away about the TD. The only weakness the driver has is it's name. "Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero Triple Diamond" is almost as long as my shots with the actual driver haha. It checks all the boxes for me and is without a doubt the best Cally head every produced.

> @"double or triple?" said:

> > @J13 said:

> > > @"double or triple?" said:

> > > > @J13 said:

> > > > > @youngunz5840 said:

> > > > > Thanks J13 talked to Mark from Center Cut Golf about heads and the tz5 and he suggested the G410lst. Went that route at 8* and happy with the results. At one point I put it at 7.5 with weight in heel and agree with you that the super low spinner is not a real life option.

> > > > > The head open from 9 to 8 with the weight in center has kept the left side out and I am hitting fades or straight which ill take all day

> > > >

> > > > Cool, yeah the TZ5 is a great option. Speaking of Accra, interested to see how things progress now that True Temper bought them.

> > >

> > > it's going to be interesting for sure.

> >

> > I was hoping that would mean Accra shaft would be available by OEM's but apparently, that won't be the case and it will remain exclusively for dealers and fitters.

>

>

> Maybe in the future but starting out it definitely be through the regular aftermarket channels

>

I agree. I'd have to imagine after 2-3 years there will start to be some offerings through the major OEM's in the catalog. I mean why wouldn't you right?

Edel PROTO

Damn, lost track of this in the new format. Good info as always. I am back to OG Epic, but need to try the new SZ, nothing else has stuck. If I grab one, will be in touch for hot melt....lol

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T150 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Toulon Portland Garage 
ProV1x

> @Warrick said:

> ****, lost track of this in the new format. Good info as always. I am back to OG Epic, but need to try the new SZ, nothing else has stuck. If I grab one, will be in touch for hot melt....lol

Triple Diamond is the way to go. Forgiveness of the Epic Flash with Spin closer to the EF SZ. It's a brilliant driver.

Edel PROTO

Followed J's advice and tried the EF TD and have been very pleased. I just need to tip my current smoke shaft or follow J's lead and try the ad vr or tensei white.

• Like 1

917 D3 8.5 Xphlexx Agera Orange RF Proto
SLDR Mini 12 Evo Speeder TS 757x
SLDR Mini 15.8 Rogue Black 110 80TX
Srixon 765 4-6 PX LZ 6.0
Srixon 965 7-PW PX LZ 6.0
Mizuno T7 50 PX LZ 6.0
Vokey TVD 54V & 58V
Bettinardi Studio Stock 14 or Odyssey O-works 7

> @oldhamer25 said:

> Followed J's advice and tried the EF TD and have been very pleased. I just need to tip my current smoke shaft or follow J's lead and try the ad vr or tensei white.

Played this morning (2:20 round btw (18 holes) and the EF with Tensei White was exceptional. I'm pretty sure i'm settled on this combo over the VR. I also have a Mitsu proto i'm messing around with Im not sure I like it as much as the Tesnei White. On side note I notice a faint creeking noise in the driver. I'm hoping the shaft isn't failing and it's just some epoxy breakdown from me leaving my clubs in the trunk during a heat wave (long story). In any case i'm going to take it apart, clean it, and re epoxy. Fingers crossed

bvow4o7dnnqx.jpeg

4m4b5n6qoyzh.jpeg

5uco35tx595j.jpeg

Edel PROTO

• 2 weeks later...

Swing update:

So I was in Jacksonville for work and decided to get some time in with DC/Iteach. The first time I worked with Dan I scheduled a full 3 days as I wanted to make some serious changes. The way Dan teaches was new to me and to say it was eye-opening would be an understatement. This time around I was able to carve out a half day so I hit Dan up and got on the books. He's at a new club (Golf club at South Hampton) where he built a teaching studio which keeps you out of the hot florida sun (huge plus). Anyway the main goal was to improve consistency and club path as I constantly battle getting stuck and having a too in to out club path which also creates a shallow AOA. The other thing I wanted to work on was reducing the stress on my elbow (tennis elbow issues) and extensor muscles. Because I tended to come up and out of the shot my arms fired hard at the ball which puts a lot of stress on the tendons and muscles in the arm.

Things he changed:

Grip

Size of grip

Lie angle of my irons

Lots of pieces in my downswing (my legs were acting as brakes because my lower and upper body were out of sync)

Backswing - was solid but he wants me to lengthen it a bit as I tend to get short which gives the body less time to sync up

Noticeable improvement from that session and my numbers improved dramatically especially AOA and club path not to mention I increased my 7 iron club head speed by 3mph which gave me an extra 10 yds. By syncing up the upper and lower body I gained speed quickly which was a surprise. I was swinging faster but not as hard if that makes sense.

If you want to see some swings from the session I dropped them on my instagram page.

Edel PROTO

Nicely done on the swing. I like that angle you are getting to in transition and coming into impact. Very short backswing still, kinda like Rahm and Finau.

Grip changes? Lie angle I presume more upright?

Did you ever try some graphite shafts? (I'd recommend 125x steelfiber hardstepped. Steel shaft of choice in the wedges.) I am trying the kbs 610 in my wedges.... what weight tensei is in your driver? I like the tensei as well.

PING G410 9 Flat(HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5/Ventus Black 7x)
PING G410 14.5 (HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5)
PING G425 LST 14.5 (Speeder Tour Spec 7.2x)

PING G410 17.5 (HZRDUS T1100 85g 6.5)

NIKE Vapor Fly 20* Iron (Modus105x HS)

PING i500 20* iron (DG105x100)

P7TW 3-PW (DGX7)

52 milled grind (DGX7)  / Vokey TVD K 58 (DGX7)
TM Spider Armlock/SIK Armlock

> @Deuce78 said:

> Nicely done on the swing. I like that angle you are getting to in transition and coming into impact. Very short backswing still, kinda like Rahm and Finau.

> Grip changes? Lie angle I presume more upright?

> Did you ever try some graphite shafts? (I'd recommend 125x steelfiber hardstepped. Steel shaft of choice in the wedges.) I am trying the kbs 610 in my wedges.... what weight tensei is in your driver? I like the tensei as well.

Thanks and yes I have a shorter backswing like Rahm and Finau which is something I worked towards as I used to have a swing like John Daly. The shorter more compact swing is great but over the years it got a little shorter than I'd like which then throws timing off. I'm going to be adding a little length to the swing to help with that. Thanks for the suggestion on shafts, I'm looking at graphite options and would love to find a set I really liked in the weight range i'm comfortable with.

Tensei Pro white 70TX. It will be interesting to see how my bag evolves as I make these swing changes. Curious to see how this translates to driver setup.

> @TIM929 said:

> This is very interesting.. was it your left elbow?

>

> What changes did he make on grip, grip size, and lie angle?

>

> Also could you please explain the lower body acting like brakes because it was out of sync and the fix?

>

> This is all really interesting stuff..

>

> Thanks in advance.

Right elbow is the culprit. Grip wise he wants me to go to a standard grip with 1 wrap and right hand built up a little (think Golf pride MC Plus 4). This would be thinner than my current grips which are standard with 4 wraps under left and 5 under right (essentially midsize). Keep in mind i'm 6'2 and can palm a basketball. During the lesson I used a club that had a MC Plus 4 and at first it felt very small in my hands. He then changed my grip (made it much stronger and in the fingers) and it then went from small to perfect. With this new grip I then held my irons and it was immediately obvious that they were way to big holding the club this way.

Lie angle - I play 1/2" over standard length and 1* upright. He is fine with the length but I need to go flatter in lie angle. More upright irons kinda was a bandaid because of the way I came into the ball. Put it this way, my 7 iron is 62* and the 7 iron that had the Plus 4 grip was 58*. When i successfully made the move he was working on with me I hit the 58* much better. Again, it was strange but I saw the results and it reinforced the need to make a good move on the ball and not go back to the old swing. The 58* 7 iron was terrible for me with my old swing.

Lower body being the brakes - My lower body would take off before the backswing was even finished which then created a bit of a slide and stall. Basically because they fired so quickly they didn't rotate properly and also forced my left shoulder to go up instead of down and around. This will be the biggest challenge for me as my transition move needs to be the exact opposite of what i've been doing. With that said when I swing slower and sync lower and upper body everything works together and i'm actually more open at impact with an angle in the right arm at impact. Over time he said I will continue to increase the angle of that right arm but for now just do really slow motion swings to defrag the brain like a computer. Dan is an engineer by education so he looks at the swing like a car engine. He fixes the root cause of problems instead of bandaids. His motto is fix 1 thing that fixes 10 others.

Edel PROTO

Thanks for sharing, I remember when I ran into right elbow issue, was tennis elbow. Started when I was hitting tons and tons of balls and I was working in a move to release my right arm more through the shot. Basically felt like I was throwing right arm from top plus I take a good divot, top instructor wanted more release. Lasted a good year or two and changes I made was feeling less of a straightened right elbow and more braced at impact and I got shallower with my divots. Went away over the course of a season and been 100% now for a couple years. Glad it did because it can be hard to get healed

• Like 1

> @TIM929 said:

> Thank you for sharing!

>

> very clear, you painted a clear picture and I saw everything you wrote.. really appreciate it.

No problem

> @Redjeep83 said:

> You actively feeling your shoulders turn on downswing as well? I’ve had that feeling before and works well to keep upper body and lower body more in sync. You can see Rory do this a lot

Yes I feel shoulders and head turn in the downswing instead of restricting it. Rory does it a lot in warm up as do a lot of pro's. Getting stuck relies so heavily on timing.

Edel PROTO

On a side note I hit these recently outside on the range. TM did a nice job with the refinements. Here’s the 790 compared to my srixon 745 xkteqtpi6txt.jpeg

f792dslczsz8.jpeg

oenlb6lkknuw.jpeg

Edel PROTO

• J13 changed the title to J13's WITB: Update- FUJIKURA AXIOM