Player of the year

 00steven ·  
00steven00steven Northern MI 290WRX Points: 171Handicap: 12Members Posts: 290 Greens
Joined:  in Tour Talk #1

So is it Rory or Brooks?

Posted:
Driver: Taylormade M3
3 Wood: Taylormade M4
3 Hybrid: Taylormade M4
4 iron: Titleist AP1 
5-9: Titleist AP1 716 
PW: Titleist CB 716 
Wedges: 52/56 Titlest SM7 60 Titleist SM6
Putter: Ping Sigma 2 Fetch
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B XS
«134567
7

Comments

  • golfnoob25golfnoob25  366WRX Points: 81Members Posts: 366 Greens
    Joined:  #2

    Roar

    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • bscinstnctbscinstnct  28289WRX Points: 4,686Members Posts: 28,289 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #3

    Neither won the Masters so..... ; )

    Posted:
  • KRAMER1997KRAMER1997  297WRX Points: 244Members Posts: 297 Greens
    Joined:  #4

    Tiger!!!!! The PGA Tour is a business, and he brought more revenue this year than Koepka, Rory, DJ, and any other player. Plus winning the Masters also helped.

    Posted:
  • Oz MaxOz Max  275WRX Points: 127Handicap: 80'sMembers Posts: 275 Greens
    Joined:  #5

    Tough one, I go with Rors, but I'm biased, Tiger has been awesome but faded pretty quickly. BK lost me with his shoe laces.

    Posted:
  • Scotty1140Scotty1140  4787WRX Points: 458Members Posts: 4,787 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #6

    I’m a much bigger McIlroy fan but I have to say Koepka.

    Posted:
  • DrivingChampDrivingChamp  341WRX Points: 121Members Posts: 341 Greens
    Joined:  #7

    Brooks won a major Rory didn’t

    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • sbjinxsbjinx Orange County 2530WRX Points: 236Members Posts: 2,530 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #8

    I think winning a major gives Brooks the leg up over Rors.

    Posted:

    Callaway Epic Flash TD - Graphite Design VR
    TM M2 - 15*
    Callaway Apex - 19*
    Bridgestone J15cb - 4-PW
    Titleist SM7 - 52* & 58*
    Spider X

  • noodle3872noodle3872 Chilliwack B.C. Canada 3149WRX Points: 537Handicap: 8.3Members Posts: 3,149 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #10

    Brooks is POY. While Tiger is Comeback of The Year again.

    Posted:

    Callaway Mavrik 9° driver Diamana ZF 50 S Flex

    Callaway Mavrik SZ 10.5° driver Diamana ZF 50 S Flex

    Callaway Mavrik 15° fairway wood Diamana ZF 60 S Flex

    Callaway Mavrik 20° hybrid MMT 90 S Flex

    Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 5-PW Modus3 Tour 105 S flex

    Mizuno S18 Gunmetal Wedges 50-07, 54-12, 58-12 and 62-08 Modus3 115 Wedge

    Odyssey Stroke Lab Ten S

    Callaway Chrome Soft X 

  • grm24grm24 Western PA 4158WRX Points: 1,293Members Posts: 4,158 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #11

    On -, @Darth Putter said:

    for PGA Tour Player of the Year

    Rory McIlroy
    3 wins: TPC, Tour Championship, Canadian Open
    1 second place: WGC Mexico
    14 top 10s in 19 starts
    FedEX Cup Champion
    Vardon Trophy winner
    Best Strokes Gained Total ever by anyone not named Tiger
    2nd in official money

    Brooks Koepka
    3 wins: PGA, WGC Memphis, CJ Cup
    3 seconds: Masters, US Open, Honda
    9 top 10s in 21 starts
    2019 PGA Player of the Year (this is the one that uses a point system)
    won money title
    Number 1 OWGR and had the highest total since the start of the PGA Tour year

    Brooks hold off Rory for my vote

    Tiger Woods wins the "Pro Golfer of the Year" Trophy.

    Nice summary Darth. I'll give it to Koepka due to his superb play in the majors. He finished t2, 1, 2, t4 in the majors. Rory was never a factor in any major this year and missed one cut. Rory went t21, t8, t9, MC. Some people like to claim it's only and all about the majors these days. Using that criteria it goes to Brooks. They both had superb years and both are deserving.

    Posted:
  • Bingo1976Bingo1976  2603WRX Points: 302Handicap: 6.8Members Posts: 2,603 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #12

    On -, @grm24 said:

    On -, @Darth Putter said:

    for PGA Tour Player of the Year

    Rory McIlroy
    3 wins: TPC, Tour Championship, Canadian Open
    1 second place: WGC Mexico
    14 top 10s in 19 starts
    FedEX Cup Champion
    Vardon Trophy winner
    Best Strokes Gained Total ever by anyone not named Tiger
    2nd in official money

    Brooks Koepka
    3 wins: PGA, WGC Memphis, CJ Cup
    3 seconds: Masters, US Open, Honda
    9 top 10s in 21 starts
    2019 PGA Player of the Year (this is the one that uses a point system)
    won money title
    Number 1 OWGR and had the highest total since the start of the PGA Tour year

    Brooks hold off Rory for my vote

    Tiger Woods wins the "Pro Golfer of the Year" Trophy.

    Nice summary Darth. I'll give it to Koepka due to his superb play in the majors. He finished t2, 1, 2, t4 in the majors. Rory was never a factor in any major this year and missed one cut. Rory went t21, t8, t9, MC. Some people like to claim it's only and all about the majors these days. Using that criteria it goes to Brooks. They both had superb years and both are deserving.

    I'd agree with that - Brooks' sustained dominance in Majors is deserving of PotY. Rory a close second. I hope they get a draw in the next Ryder Cup!

    Posted:
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Srixon z565 Speeder 569 Evo IV SR[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]TaylorMade RBZ 3 wood, [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Matrix Ozik R[/font]
    [font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"]Srixon U65 2 iron, Miyazaki S[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cobra F6 Hybrid 22 degrees RedTie S[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Srixon z945 5-pw w/ DG s200[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Miura Y 51 and K 56 DG Spinner, Yururi Raw 61 KBS [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]HiRev[/font]
    [font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"]Odyssey O-Works Black 34"[/font]
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • Oz MaxOz Max  275WRX Points: 127Handicap: 80'sMembers Posts: 275 Greens
    Joined:  #13

    On -, @Darth Putter said:

    for PGA Tour Player of the Year

    Rory McIlroy
    3 wins: TPC, Tour Championship, Canadian Open
    1 second place: WGC Mexico
    14 top 10s in 19 starts
    FedEX Cup Champion
    Vardon Trophy winner
    Best Strokes Gained Total ever by anyone not named Tiger
    2nd in official money

    Brooks Koepka
    3 wins: PGA, WGC Memphis, CJ Cup
    3 seconds: Masters, US Open, Honda
    9 top 10s in 21 starts
    2019 PGA Player of the Year (this is the one that uses a point system)
    won money title
    Number 1 OWGR and had the highest total since the start of the PGA Tour year

    Brooks hold off Rory for my vote

    Tiger Woods wins the "Pro Golfer of the Year" Trophy.

    I hate to admit it, but yeah, BK has had another great year... BUT Rors and Tiger have shown promises and next season could be as good a vintage as a 1985 Bordeaux

    Posted:
  • imakaveliimakaveli Moli Moli Moli Moli Tommy Tommy Tommy Tommy...  13138WRX Points: 1,000Handicap: 3.8Members Posts: 13,138 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #14

    They will give it to Rory because they wanna convince us players and fedex are as important as majors.

    Posted:
  • HankshankHankshank  1902WRX Points: 389Members Posts: 1,902 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #15

    Tiger

    Posted:
  • MattyO1984MattyO1984  5815WRX Points: 1,308Handicap: 3Members Posts: 5,815 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #16

    Brooks all day long.

    Posted:
    Titleist TS3 8.5 Stiff Project X Even Flow T1100 White
    Titleist 915Fd 15 Stiff Rogue Black 
    Titleist 915Hd 17.5 Stiff Diamana S+
    Titleist T100 4-PW Stiff Project X LZ
    Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08 & 54.10
    Titlesist Vokey SM7 60.04
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
    ProV1x 2019
  • OldTomMorrisOldTomMorris Edinburgh, Scotland 3206WRX Points: 1,076Members Posts: 3,206 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #17

    It probably should be Brooks but I wouldn't be surprised if Rory gets the nod from the players.

    Posted:
    Titleist 910D3 8.5°
    TaylorMade M3 15°
    Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
    Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° S Grind & 58° C Grind
    Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
    Titleist Pro V 1x
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • MountainGoatMountainGoat Mid-Maryland 2489WRX Points: 1,097Members Posts: 2,489 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #18

    How is the award selected? Vote of the players? Committee? Other?

    Posted:
  • tideridertiderider  2820WRX Points: 1,856Handicap: 5ishMembers Posts: 2,820 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #19

    On -, @MountainGoat said:

    How is the award selected? Vote of the players? Committee? Other?

    vote of the players, i believe ...

    i'd go with brooks ... bc made an argument lat night for rory based on having the vardon and his strokes gained, but part of that vardon is based on really good play th-sat (and the diff was only .3) ... bk won the same number of times and competed in the majors to a much higher degree than rory ... easily bk, imo ...

    Posted:
  • MelloYelloMelloYello Upstate, SC 3736WRX Points: 965Handicap: 8Members Posts: 3,736 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  edited Aug 26, 2019 #20

    Brooks choked away the Masters...I don't understand giving a guy a ton of credit for NOT winning a tournament when he very well could've. It's fine to say he finished 2nd but the truth is he should've won but didn't by his own hand.

    I'm going with Rory....if you win the Players early on, another event mid-season, and then wrap up the Tour Championship as a 3rd win and actually get the FedEx Cup then you're a contender for POTY. If you have the Vardon Trophy it was a really special year.

    Rory walks home with 3 historically significant trophies: The Players, The Fed Ex Cup and the Vardon Trophy.

    Brooks walks home with the PGA Championship.

    It's pretty obviously Rory but I'm just a fan of golf.

    Posted:
    Driver: M3 w. Tensei CK Pro Org.
    Fairway: M6 3w
    Hybrid: Tour Edge E8 (19, 22)
    Irons: 716 CB (5-Pw)
    Wedges: SM6 52-F / 56-F / 60-S
    Putter: Newport 2 Select
  • HankshankHankshank  1902WRX Points: 389Members Posts: 1,902 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  edited Aug 26, 2019 #21

    Hard to compare Brooks and Rory this year.
    Rory has been a wonder of consistency, very few results outside the top-10 and 3 pretty huge victories. But surprisingly bleak in the majors.
    Brooks has continued that great capability to perform well in majors. 1-2-2-4 is nothing short of remarkable. Otherwise up and down in results over the year.
    So all in all, Rory have played better golf, but the top golfers seems to evaluate themselves on accomplishments in the majors, which would give Brooks the upper hand. Among the top peers. But since all the players probably are involved I guess it will be Rory.

    BTW I get surprised when I look at the results of Rory. The feeling is that he has not been on his A-game and especially the putting has been so-so. But then again, none of the top guys have really had a super year, like F Molinari had in 2018.

    Posted:
  • MountainGoatMountainGoat Mid-Maryland 2489WRX Points: 1,097Members Posts: 2,489 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  edited Aug 26, 2019 #22

    On -, @Hankshank said:

    Hard to compare Brooks and Rory this year.
    Rory has been a wonder of consistency, very few results outside the top-10 and 3 pretty huge victories. But surprisingly bleak in the majors.
    Brooks has continued that great capability to perform well in majors. 1-2-2-4 is nothing short of remarkable. Otherwise up and down in results over the year.
    So all in all, Rory have played better golf, but the top golfers seems to evaluate themselves on accomplishments in the majors, which would give Brooks the upper hand. Among the top peers. But since all the players probably are involved I guess it will be Rory.

    BTW I get surprised when I look at the results of Rory. The feeling is that he has not been on his A-game and especially the putting has been so-so. But then again, none of the top guys have really had a super year, like F Molinari had in 2018.

    1-2-2-4 is a super year in the majors by any reasonable definition. If Tiger had that record, he'd get PoY without a second thought. People don't want to give it to Brooks, because they just don't like him...which is understandable.

    Posted:
    Post edited by MountainGoat on
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day... south carolina 30194WRX Points: 6,547Handicap: NONEMembers Posts: 30,194 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #23

    It has to go to Rory. Brooks didn’t win any or many on tour this year did he ? Majors aren’t run by the tour.

    Posted:
    TM SIM max 10.8 Fuji Ventus red 6x 
    Ping G410 15.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    Ping G410 21* ADDI 105x 
    Ping Blueprint  3- PW   Modus 130X 
    Ping Glide Forged  54 60 s400
    Cameron GSS 1.5 009. Sound slot,  tungsten weights. 


  • agolf1agolf1  1845WRX Points: 1,035Members Posts: 1,845 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #24

    I'd say Brooks by a slight margin. I'm looking mainly at each of their three wins. The PGA and it's major status is the one that will be remembered most years from now. The Player's is clearly #2, I'd say the WGC and Tour Championship are close, and the RBC/CJ Cup are close enough to each other that it's not a big driver of things. While not insignificant, I give less weight to Brooks' other finishes in the majors and Rory's Fedex Cup title (complete race and $15 MM itself)/Vardon trophy/strokes-gained stats.

    Posted:
    Titleist 915 D4 10.5*, Diamana S+ Blue 60 S-Flex
    Titleist 915F 16.5* & 21.0*, Diamana S+ Blue 70 S-Flex
    PING G25 5-PW (25*-44*), UW (49*), SW (54*), CFS R-Flex
    PING Zing 2 L/S (57*)
    PING Cadence TR Ketsch Putter
    Backup Lob Wedges:  PING Eye 2+ (58*) or PING Eye 2 XG (60*)
  • golfandfishinggolfandfishing  3750WRX Points: 1,081Handicap: 4Members Posts: 3,750 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #25

    I don’t like Bryce either, but he is player of the year. And a giant douchestick. He can be both. I’m betting he is more proud of the latter.

    On -, @bladehunter said:

    It has to go to Rory. Brooks didn’t win any or many on tour this year did he ? Majors aren’t run by the tour.
    Posted:
  • ksgolfcoachksgolfcoach kansas 758WRX Points: 113Members Posts: 758 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #26

    It’s brooks and it isn’t even close. The players know how special majors are and to go 1,2,2, and 4 in them wins you player of the year over a guy with none

    Posted:
  • JaNelson38JaNelson38  2818WRX Points: 612Members Posts: 2,818 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #27

    On -, @00steven said:

    So is it Rory or Brooks?

    Rory. 14 top tens in 19 events. 3 wins. That's Tiger-in-his-prime excellence and consistency. Actually one of the best seasons on Tour in a long time.

    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day... south carolina 30194WRX Points: 6,547Handicap: NONEMembers Posts: 30,194 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #28

    On -, @golfandfishing said:

    I don’t like Bryce either, but he is player of the year. And a giant douchestick. He can be both. I’m betting he is more proud of the latter.

    On -, @bladehunter said:

    It has to go to Rory. Brooks didn’t win any or many on tour this year did he ? Majors aren’t run by the tour.

    Agree 100 %. You know if I’m trying to rationalize voting for Rory then the other guy is bad. Really bad. Someone said he has become the real life zoolander. And that is 100 % spot on. He’s a self created myth that he denies existence of . As in “ I don’t care......no, look at me “. lol.

    Honest answer. If tigers tour champ win is this year , I’d vote for him.

    Posted:
    TM SIM max 10.8 Fuji Ventus red 6x 
    Ping G410 15.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    Ping G410 21* ADDI 105x 
    Ping Blueprint  3- PW   Modus 130X 
    Ping Glide Forged  54 60 s400
    Cameron GSS 1.5 009. Sound slot,  tungsten weights. 


  • jschwartz12181jschwartz12181  4WRX Points: 9Members Posts: 4 Starters
    Joined:  #29

    Why do you dislike him so much?

    On -, @bladehunter said:

    On -, @golfandfishing said:

    I don’t like Bryce either, but he is player of the year. And a giant douchestick. He can be both. I’m betting he is more proud of the latter.

    On -, @bladehunter said:

    It has to go to Rory. Brooks didn’t win any or many on tour this year did he ? Majors aren’t run by the tour.

    Agree 100 %. You know if I’m trying to rationalize voting for Rory then the other guy is bad. Really bad. Someone said he has become the real life zoolander. And that is 100 % spot on. He’s a self created myth that he denies existence of . As in “ I don’t care......no, look at me “. lol.

    Honest answer. If tigers tour champ win is this year , I’d vote for him.

    Posted:
  • JaNelson38JaNelson38  2818WRX Points: 612Members Posts: 2,818 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #30

    On -, @ksgolfcoach said:

    It’s brooks and it isn’t even close. The players know how special majors are and to go 1,2,2, and 4 in them wins you player of the year over a guy with none

    Brooks won 1 major this year. Rory won the Players, which is considered by most to be a major even though its technically not one. I think they're on equal footing that way.

    Being on the first page of the leaderboard literally every tournament you play - which Rory basically was this year - its much more POTY worthy, in my opinion.

    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • Crazy About GolfCrazy About Golf  427WRX Points: 199Handicap: 1.1Members Posts: 427 Greens
    Joined:  #31

    On -, @KRAMER1997 said:

    Tiger!!!!! The PGA Tour is a business, and he brought more revenue this year than Koepka, Rory, DJ, and any other player. Plus winning the Masters also helped.

    On -, @Hankshank said:

    Tiger

    Tiger's results this year: T20, T15, T10, T30, 1, CUT, T9, T21, CUT, CUT, T37
    Koepka results: 1, T16, 24, T27, T2, CUT, T56, T2, T22, 4, 1, T50, 2, T57, 65, T4, 1, T30, T24, T3
    McIlroy results: T54, T4, T5, T4, 2, T6, 1, T21, T8, T8, CUT, 1, T9, CUT, T4, T6, T19, 1

    Tiger doesn't even belong in the conversation. It isn't even close.

    Posted:
    Cobra F9 Speedback 8 degree, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 60 in 6.5
    Mizuno CLK 16 degree hybrid, Fujikura Speeder in x-flex
    Mizuno MP18 3-PW, Dynamic Gold x-100
    Mizuno T7 52 degree, 56 degree, 60 degree
    Scotty Cameron Phantom X 8 putter
    ​Titleist Pro-V1
7
This discussion has been closed.