Majors: Will We See a Change to the Current 4?

SkiSchoolPro

Most seem to accept that the current 4 majors are what everyone will always accept as the major titles in golf BUT I think there are 3 important things to remember:

1. When some historical pros won their "Major" titles, these titles were not necessarily considered majors.

2. Some titles that were considered majors years ago are little more than a footnote today.

3. The PGA Tour would love to own/control 1 or more majors.

Check out https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Men%27s_major_golf_championships#History for an interesting read on the history of Majors.

Regarding #1 above- Is it less worthy to win a major title when you did not have the pressure of knowing it was a major?

> @agolf1 said:

> The PGA and it's major status is the one that will be remembered most years from now.

Well, I suppose there is precedent for majors changing. However, that was in the early days of the professional game. The current majors have been firmly in place since the tour was established and professional golf surpassed the amateur game.

The tour could try to establish a 5th major, like the LPGA, though traditionalists would go crazy over that and history books would be retroactively changed, unless a new event was created. Won’t happen any time soon, unless the tour starts recognizing FedEx Cup winners as a major win. With the stakes the tour puts on the FedEx cup, it’s the only event I see them putting major labels on in the near future.

In the event we lose one of the four existing majors: I suppose the members at Augusta National could decide they are done with their yearly invitational. Extremely unlikely, but technically possible.

Only reasonable way I see majors changing is if an organization like the USGA, R&A, PGA of America or ANGC is caught breaking the law in some years long scheme or something like that. Something that forces them to call their big tournament quits and create a void for the Players Championship or FedEx Cup to be one of the four.

Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5 HZRDUS Smoke iM10 Green 60 TX 45.9" D3

Driver 2: Taylormade Burner Mini 11.5 HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 X D5

Fairway: PXG 0311XF Gen 5 4 Wood; Smoke iM10 Green 70 TX D6

Irons: PXG 0317X; PXG 0311T Gen 5; 5-GW DG 105 X D7

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 56 S Grind;  Cleveland RTX Full Face 64 DG 120 X E0

Putter: PXG Battle Ready Raptor 38” Wristlock Grip

No. Seems someone always starts this thread every few months, with the same conclusion. Why even discuss it, whats the point? the majors are the majors. would you rather have the LPGA system, or the "Champions Tour" system where they change every few years and no one really knows what's what? It would be ridiculous.

• Like 1

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

I sincerely hope it remains intact as it is but point 3 is the worry form as the PGA Tour appears to becoming even more powerful. Recent innovations (new major schedule, handicapped PGA Tour events, return of Olympic golf) in the game show that anything is possible.

[size=2]Titleist 910D3 8.5°
TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° S Grind & 58° C Grind
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
Titleist Pro V 1x[/size]

Plankers know Tiger stomped the Masters this year. He was like a steezy ripper on the back nine. His opponents were left in a yard sale when he took the green parka. The majors are not like a run on pow pow. They are full of gnarly death cookies, dude. These dudes, like Roars and Bruce sit around apres-golf. John Daly was looking for liftie in the majors and only found one. Adding a major or changing a major would be like being tracked out, man.

> @OldTomMorris said:

> I sincerely hope it remains intact as it is but point 3 is the worry form as the PGA Tour appears to becoming even more powerful. Recent innovations (new major schedule, handicapped PGA Tour events, return of Olympic golf) in the game show that anything is possible.

For the record, I am NOT saying that I advocate a change, but agree with @OldTomMorris

I also find it interesting that people like to point to history, but tend to only look at fairly recent history. To pick up on @Ferguson's theme, many skier's snow expectations tend to go up AFTER a couple big snow years and down after a lean year or two...very few seem to look at trends and longer periods.

> @Ferguson said:

> Plankers know Tiger stomped the Masters this year. He was like a steezy ripper on the back nine. His opponents were left in a yard sale when he took the green parka. The majors are not like a run on pow pow. They are full of gnarly death cookies, dude. These dudes, like Roars and Bruce sit around apres-golf. John Daly was looking for liftie in the majors and only found one. Adding a major or changing a major would be like being tracked out, man.

>

I appear to have crossed some life threshold from whence there is no return, because I have no idea what this means.

For my part, I'm losing touch with what makes a golf tournament a Major. I used to think that a Major was a tournament where all the best players appeared and was, therefore, the hardest to win. That's not so true anymore. Then, I thought a Major was a tournament that represented the best version of a distinct style of golf. So, someone who won all four was the golfer with the best total command of the game. I don't think that's necessarily true, either. So, what makes a Major a Major other than the fact that someone called them that 60 years ago?

> @Ferguson said:

> Plankers know Tiger stomped the Masters this year. He was like a steezy ripper on the back nine. His opponents were left in a yard sale when he took the green parka. The majors are not like a run on pow pow. They are full of gnarly death cookies, dude. These dudes, like Roars and Bruce sit around apres-golf. John Daly was looking for liftie in the majors and only found one. Adding a major or changing a major would be like being tracked out, man.

>

Oh wow man, that's like totally far out dude, even tubular with some narley thrown in...............most cool mi amigo.........

> @disco111 said:

> > @Ferguson said:

> > Plankers know Tiger stomped the Masters this year. He was like a steezy ripper on the back nine. His opponents were left in a yard sale when he took the green parka. The majors are not like a run on pow pow. They are full of gnarly death cookies, dude. These dudes, like Roars and Bruce sit around apres-golf. John Daly was looking for liftie in the majors and only found one. Adding a major or changing a major would be like being tracked out, man.

> >

>

> Oh wow man, that's like totally far out dude, even tubular with some narley thrown in...............most cool mi amigo.........

I can't believe I forgot to drop in at least one amigo.

> @Ferguson said:

>

Google Translate was no help to me.

The best reason for not changing the majors is number 3. The PGA Tour should never control a major. Despite what they think the Tour is not golf. It is a small, tight knit organization whose main goal is to make as much money for themselves as possible. Not that there’s anything wrong with that, but golf is much more. Fortunately major status is not given by decree from the Tour, as witnessed by the status of the Players.

Not to get on a soap box or anything, but we are golf. The folks who buy the equipment, pay the greens fees, go to and watch the tournaments. We get to decide what is a major. I vote for keeping things as they are.

• Like 1

> @TMoakley1547 said:

> I could see the PGA Tour adding a tournament, or giving a current tournament (The Players, probably) and giving it "Major" status. But it would feel forced im sure, kind of like the FedEx Cup.

>

> I dont see it happening, but you never know these days.

The PGA Tour has been pushing the Players as the "5th major" for decades, and the media hasn't bought in. And as the wiki article mentions, the idea of the Majors was really a media invention, fueled perhaps by Arnold Palmer and Bob Drum. Coincidentally, Palmer's rising fame came around the same time as televised golf started becoming popular. So my guess, we'll see a change in the "majors" when the media becomes convinced we should have a change.

> @dalehead said:

> > @Ferguson said:

> > Plankers know Tiger stomped the Masters this year. He was like a steezy ripper on the back nine. His opponents were left in a yard sale when he took the green parka. The majors are not like a run on pow pow. They are full of gnarly death cookies, dude. These dudes, like Roars and Bruce sit around apres-golf. John Daly was looking for liftie in the majors and only found one. Adding a major or changing a major would be like being tracked out, man.

> >

> Google Translate was no help to me.

>

The OP is a skier. To show him I was down with his OP, I offered a mélange of ski terms.

Plankers know Tiger stomped the Masters this year. He was like a steezy ripper on the back nine. His opponents were left in a yard sale when he took the green parka. The majors are not like a run on pow pow. They are full of gnarly death cookies, dude. These dudes, like Roars and Bruce sit around apres-golf. John Daly was looking for liftie in the majors and only found one. Adding a major or changing a major would be like being tracked out, man.

Planker: Skier

Stomped: to ski a tough line without falling

Steezy: A combination of the words ‘style’ and ‘ease’ to describe the elegance of skier (or golfer in this case)

Ripper: an accomplished skier

Yard Sale: A huge wipeout, wreck, or crash that causes all your ski belongings, boards, poles, hat and goggles, to be scattered about the slopes is jokingly referred to as a yard sale.

Green Parka: green jacket

Pow Pow: newly fallen fresh powder, short for powder

Gnarly: something totally wild, crazy or “sick”

Death Cookies: Cookie size chunks of ice formed after snowmaking

Dudes: men

Amigo: friend, bra, bro

Roars: Rory

Bruce: Brooks

Apres-golf: “after golf” think of 19th hole activities

Liftie: Ski lift operator (golf cart)

Tracked out: perfect fresh snow that’s been ridden over leaving no fresh areas for plankers

• Like 1

> @Ferguson said:

> > @dalehead said:

> > > @Ferguson said:

> > > Plankers know Tiger stomped the Masters this year. He was like a steezy ripper on the back nine. His opponents were left in a yard sale when he took the green parka. The majors are not like a run on pow pow. They are full of gnarly death cookies, dude. These dudes, like Roars and Bruce sit around apres-golf. John Daly was looking for liftie in the majors and only found one. Adding a major or changing a major would be like being tracked out, man.

> > >

> > Google Translate was no help to me.

> >

>

>

>

> The OP is a skier. To show him I was down with his OP, I offered a mélange of ski terms.

>

>

>

> Planker: Skier

> Stomped: to ski a tough line without falling

> Steezy: A combination of the words ‘style’ and ‘ease’ to describe the elegance of skier (or golfer in this case)

> Ripper: an accomplished skier

> Yard Sale: A huge wipeout, wreck, or crash that causes all your ski belongings, boards, poles, hat and goggles, to be scattered about the slopes is jokingly referred to as a yard sale.

> Green Parka: green jacket

> Pow Pow: newly fallen fresh powder, short for powder

> Gnarly: something totally wild, crazy or “sick”

> Death Cookies: Cookie size chunks of ice formed after snowmaking

> Dudes: men

> Amigo: friend, bra, bro

> Roars: Rory

> Bruce: Brooks

> Apres-golf: “after golf” think of 19th hole activities

> Liftie: Ski lift operator (golf cart)

> Tracked out: perfect fresh snow that’s been ridden over leaving no fresh areas for plankers

>

There’s nothing funnier than a word by word explanation of the joke...

> @Brass_Bullseye said:

> > @Ferguson said:

> > > @dalehead said:

> > > > @Ferguson said:

> > > > Plankers know Tiger stomped the Masters this year. He was like a steezy ripper on the back nine. His opponents were left in a yard sale when he took the green parka. The majors are not like a run on pow pow. They are full of gnarly death cookies, dude. These dudes, like Roars and Bruce sit around apres-golf. John Daly was looking for liftie in the majors and only found one. Adding a major or changing a major would be like being tracked out, man.

> > > >

> > > Google Translate was no help to me.

> > >

> >

> >

> >

> > The OP is a skier. To show him I was down with his OP, I offered a mélange of ski terms.

> >

> >

> >

> > Planker: Skier

> > Stomped: to ski a tough line without falling

> > Steezy: A combination of the words ‘style’ and ‘ease’ to describe the elegance of skier (or golfer in this case)

> > Ripper: an accomplished skier

> > Yard Sale: A huge wipeout, wreck, or crash that causes all your ski belongings, boards, poles, hat and goggles, to be scattered about the slopes is jokingly referred to as a yard sale.

> > Green Parka: green jacket

> > Pow Pow: newly fallen fresh powder, short for powder

> > Gnarly: something totally wild, crazy or “sick”

> > Death Cookies: Cookie size chunks of ice formed after snowmaking

> > Dudes: men

> > Amigo: friend, bra, bro

> > Roars: Rory

> > Bruce: Brooks

> > Apres-golf: “after golf” think of 19th hole activities

> > Liftie: Ski lift operator (golf cart)

> > Tracked out: perfect fresh snow that’s been ridden over leaving no fresh areas for plankers

> >

>

> There’s nothing funnier than a word by word explanation of the joke...

g16hpkgqkwc2.gif

LOL, I get my golf history from a wealth of sources, the titles of which don't start with "Wiki".

Silly thread, is this the 3rd or 4th time been brought up on here in one form or another (probably more) just in the last six months?

Nothing new in the OP that hasn't been known since Deane Beman ran things and nothing even remotely suggesting there would be any change, call to change, spare change, etc.

Seeing how the FedEx Cup has continued to change and adapt and yet still doesn't quite capture the same attention, prestige or significance amongst players, media or fans...I would leave the existing, working formula of 4 set majors as is. Adding another major just waters down the significance of the existing majors and IMO will not yield more fan viewership in the long run. Replacing a major (especially The Masters) will create a ton of pushback and controversy amongst players, fans and media. Don't fix something that isn't screwed up.

We were talking about this the other day. The Masters, British Open, and US Open are pretty much locked in stone. They are majors and that isn't changing.

The PGA was rendered irrelevant this year by moving up on the calendar. It was already lagging, but when it was the last of the 4 majors on the schedule it had a place as a way to sneak in a major and make someone's year. Now it seems lost. It's a bit relevant in Grand Slam talk now. But other than that it's not of much interest. And the Tour had already failed trying to make the Players the 5th major. But this year end Fed Ex Cup in the current format. Now that's got some chances to take the place of the PGA. I don't think you can give players a head start in a major though. Nor can it be at Least Lake every year. Interesting discussions about it though. My guess is they find a way to move the PGA date back to where it was in a few years. Who knows. Rose is right that the majors were too compressed though.

> @"Oliver Klozoff" said:

> We were talking about this the other day. The Masters, British Open, and US Open are pretty much locked in stone. They are majors and that isn't changing.

>

> The PGA was rendered irrelevant this year by moving up on the calendar. It was already lagging, but when it was the last of the 4 majors on the schedule it had a place as a way to sneak in a major and make someone's year. Now it seems lost. It's a bit relevant in Grand Slam talk now. But other than that it's not of much interest. And the Tour had already failed trying to make the Players the 5th major. But this year end Fed Ex Cup in the current format. Now that's got some chances to take the place of the PGA. I don't think you can give players a head start in a major though. Nor can it be at Least Lake every year. Interesting discussions about it though. My guess is they find a way to move the PGA date back to where it was in a few years. Who knows. Rose is right that the majors were too compressed though.

How in the world can the FedEx Cup ever hope to be a major when the players start the Tournament on uneven levels. One guy is 10 under at the start of play and you want the results of the Tournament to be a Major Championship?

I don't think they should have moved the PGA Championship, but they've got the right 4 Tournaments that hold Major status. No reason to change a thing. It works well as it is. They're run by different organizations and that's part of what sets them apart from a regular Tour event. No reason to dilute it by adding another and no reason to change out one for another. What point would it make if you made the Players Championship a Major and took the designation away from the PGA Championship? It would mean nothing other than a money grab by some entity that thinks it has the power to do it.

Nobody is in charge of determining what is and what isn't a Major. It happened organically and it's just the way it is. The PGA Tour isn't in charge of determining what is and what isn't a Major. It's not theirs to control.

> @TMoakley1547 said:

> I could see the PGA Tour adding a tournament, or giving a current tournament (The Players, probably) and giving it "Major" status. But it would feel forced im sure, kind of like the FedEx Cup.

>

> I dont see it happening, but you never know these days.

If the PGA Tour give the Players "major" status then perhaps the European Tour will give one of their events "major" status, who knows, perhaps the Scottish Open. The Aussies might want a piece of the action as well seeing how their national championship pre-dates the players by 70 years or the French which is 71 years older, or the South African or even China, not very old but they just might fancy adding major to the title, why not if that is the criteria.

Mizuno ST-X 220 10.5 Aldila Ascent Stiff

Mizuno ST230 16*  UST LINQ

Mizuno JPX Fli_HI #4 20* UST Recoil F3

Mizuno JPX Fli_HI #5 22.5* UST Recoil F3

Mizuno MP 5 5- PW TTDG 95 stiff

Mizuno T22 50 KBS $ Taper Lite
Mizuno T22 56 KBS $ Taper Lite
Mizuno M Craft OMOI #1

If we have pro golf another 100 years, I would bet on the current structure of majors changing rather than staying the same . Over time things tend to change. Hard to believe Asia wont have a major at some point

So yes, just not any time very soon

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

_I hereby decree that the John Deere Classic be taken as Major by all parties concerned herein, and any such perception to the contrary result in banishment from all civilizations, regardless of philosophical origin, accompanied by a pox on every facet of said individual's game._

it really, really doesn't work like that, but go ahead and give it a try with whatever event you're enamored with ...

• Like 1

I suspect that if it sticks (and they get the format right), the Olympics will come to achieve 'major' status in the same way that it has in tennis (and other sports). Career accomplishments for guys like Andy Murray are always going to be: three grand slams and two gold medals. Always mentioned in the same breath.

The original grand slam / majors of golf were the Open/US open/British AM/US AM. The Am's were removed when the pro game came to be. Then we had the Western Open, which was considered a major by the players of that time period and that also was disregarded and another took it's place. It was either the Masters or the PGA, not sure which, but again, a change was made. Now the 4 current Majors have been around for some time, but the game itself has evolved and grown world wide. Perhaps every national open championship could/should be considered a major, as some are older than the Masters and the PGA. After all, it was the press at the time who coined the term "Major" and it took off from there. Perhaps it's time to put the record of majors aside and start a new majors chapter with many new national majors. Since IMO records should be broken on an equal basis, the advent of new equipment/balls has changed the game significantly and therefor it's not on equal status with how the record was established. It's like when Babe Ruth's home run record was eclipsed by Maris. He played 8 more games during the season than Ruth, so he really didn't break the record at the same level. The Bonds and McGuire era can be compared to today's golf with it's new and vastly improved balls and equipment, not to mention the enhanced physical abilities through modern chemistry. Just thinking out of the box, knowing that this will never happen, but should it?

> @"Night train" said:

> The PGA of America has 29,000 members............they are the foundation of golf. They manage our courses, run our tournaments, teach our kids, help us decide on equipment,.............the list goes on! They deserve their major..........they are golfs true ambassadors!

Members are great, the organization is a joke. I'm constantly annoyed that they take away club pro spots in the PGA Championship. It was 50, now down to 20. All because they want to be the "strongest field." As if anyone cares. Now they move to May in a desperate search to be more relevant. Sorry, they're never going to be more than the 4th Major. Not that there's anything wrong with that. Own it. Give a ton of spots to club pros. How much would that help the game? I think it would help a bunch. Grow their clubs, their business, everything. One of my best friends in golf, I was a member at his club, got lessons from him for a while...I got the first lesson because I'd seen his name in the papers after he played in the 2001 PGA Championship. Sorry if some jobroni 101st on the money list gets bumped out of the event...he already wasn't eligible for The Masters anyway.